Chapter 9

One and Only You

Eun-ri’s POV

I entered the hospital, ready for another busy day. After the party on Saturday, I hadn’t bumped into anyone else, not even Jae-beom. Wait. Why am I thinking about him? The two of us weren’t friends, much less friendly acquaintances.

Shaking the distracting thoughts from my head, I settled into my office, prepared for work.

I buzzed for my nurse over the intercom. “Hye-rin-isshi, could you please bring my first patient to the exam room?”

“Yes, Dr. Han, she’s ready for you now,” the nurse replied. While my patient was on her way, I took out her file to analyze it.

“Eun-ri-ah, how are you? It’s been a long time.”

The sudden familiarity of the voice struck me like a static shock. Shoulders going stiff, I looked up to see a woman staring back at me intently, waiting for me to respond. 

When I had initially looked at the file over the weekend, the name, Kang Se-ri, did not ring any bells to me. But now it hit me—it was her! But why show her face now? And for what, after all these years?

My mind was veering towards turmoil, but the coherent part of my brain warned me to get my act together. I was at work, so I had to behave professionally. I had no reason or the time to get involved with her, and with this reasoning, I suppressed my unrest.

“Please have a seat, Kang Se-ri-isshi,” I told her impassively. Avoiding eye contact, I focused my attention more so on my computer. 

“Eun-ri-ah,” the woman begged, “don’t do this. Don’t treat me as if I’m a stranger. Please, I am your mother.”

The line of my shoulders tightened with aggravation. “Listen, Miss Kang—or Ms. Kang—I don’t know who you are. You must have me confused for someone else. I am Dr. Han.” After correcting her in an inflexible tone, I offered coolly, “If there is a problem with your memory, I can refer you to our neurology department. Otherwise, I can start prescribing medication once you tell me about your symptoms.”

My offhandedness must’ve bothered her terribly because she raised her voice, exclaiming in frustration, “Han Eun-ri! There’s nothing wrong with me! I just want you to hear me out!”

“Ajhumma, this is a hospital,” I admonished her, narrowing my eyes in disapproval. “If you are going to be disruptive or fake ailments, then I will call security to you out.”

She huffed angrily, then got up and leveled a cold glare at me. “No need. I can myself out. I’ll find you another time.”

She stormed out of the exam room, and not knowing what to do anymore, I threw her file against the wall and laid my head down on the table. 

Get ahold of yourself, I chided. None of my anger or trauma was welcome right now. Once I regained control of my breathing, I straightened up in my chair and buzzed for my nurse, letting her know to send over the next patient.

                                            ********

Finishing up the last bit of paperwork, I grabbed my bag and headed out. Just then my nurse called my name. 

“Dr. Han! Wait! Don’t forget your appointment list and patient file for tomorrow!” Hye-rin ran up to me. I noticed I forgot the most important thing at the end of my workday. 

“Is everything alright Dr.Han? You seemed off after your first patient today.” She asked worriedly as she handed me the files. 

“I’m fine Hye-rin-isshi. I probably need some rest, today was busy.” I blindly lied to her. She did not need to know my deep, personal emotions. We were merely colleagues. I gave her a bow and left the premises. 

I did have dinner plans today with Dong-hyun oppa and Seo-yeon, but after what happened, it was not the time for it. I better tell them before it is too late. Dong-hyun oppa and Seo-yeon knew about my past, however, I was not in the mood to tell them about today’s episode.

Oppa, Seo-yeon-ah, I won’t be able to make it tonight for dinner. Sorry I have to cancel

- Eun-ri

Fortunately, both of them replied right away. 

Rinnie, is everything alright? Did something happen at work?

- Seo-yeon

It’s okay Rinnie, we can always reschedule for another time. 

- Dong-hyun 

Everything is okay, just a bit tired. Don’t worry, I just need some rest. 

- Eun-ri 

I did not like the feeling of lying to them this way, however, I knew the outcome if I did tell them. They were so overprotective ever since we became friends and always made a fuss if something happened to me. I did not need that right now.

Settling into my apartment. I changed into comfortable clothes and started having dinner which just consisted of leftover meat, rice, and kimchi that Dong-hyun brought over yesterday. He was always making sure I had enough food in my fridge.

After a while, I tried going over on my appointment list and reading the patient files, however, I just ended up being distracted by my deep thoughts. Putting away the work, I decided to go up to the roof to clear my head. Wait! What if he is there again?! I realized I was thinking about him again. Why him of all people? Oh, well, it should not matter, the roof is big enough for two people. I can just be on the other side. 

Jae-beom’s POV 

As soon as I opened my door, my five lovable cats ran up to me. They always gave me a warm welcome when I came home. Having them around was the most peaceful and relaxing to me. I quickly showered and changed into comfortable clothes. Before heading up to my usual spot on the rooftop, I gave my cats their food and water. I already had dinner with the members as we were busy working on the album. 

As I headed upstairs, I began to wonder, I have not seen Eun-ri since we exchanged comments at the house party. She is  just a ray of sunshine, isn’t she? 

When I got to the rooftop, I realized there was already somebody in one of the camp chairs. Could it be? Wait, why am I thinking about her? What reason did I have to look forward to her? I thought to myself. Something mysterious about her intrigued, but I could not pinpoint what it was. I wonder if this is how Jackson felt about In-ah. 

I slowly and quietly walked up to the seating area, not to scare her. The soft lights around the rooftop looked as if she was under the spotlight. 

“Hey, long time no see Eun-ri-isshi.” I waved to her when I got to the camping chairs. She looked back at me with surprise. 

“What are you doing here? This is my spot. Maybe you should to the other side?” Eun-ri fired back, avoiding eye contact with me. 

“Well last time I checked, you do not own the rooftop or this complex. So I have a right to sit wherever I want.” I shot back as I settled into the chair next to her. If that’s how she wanted to play, then so be it. 

“Fine, I will leave then.” She said, getting up. Did I say something wrong? I didn't mean to hurt her. What happened to her snarky comments? She usually doesn’t give up that easily. Without thinking, my hand grabbed her wrist. Her eyes grew wide in shock. Realizing the situation, I quickly let go. 

“Eun-ri-isshi, I’m sorry. I was only joking. Please stay.” I looked at her pleadingly. My mind told me not to care, but my heart was saying differently. We looked at each other in silence, as she was probably deciding whether to stay or not. 

After a few seconds, sighing, Eun-ri finally decided to sit back down. For some strange reason, I was a bit excited inside, my heart did a little cartwheel. However, quietness continued to fill us as the only sound available from the nightlife seen in front of us. 

“So, how was your day? Would you like to talk about anything?” I asked calmly, breaking the silence. 

Eun-ri took a few minutes to reply but finally said, “Mine was somewhat unexpected. How was yours?” 

Woah?! What just happened? The sudden change of attitude?! I thought. Usually, she just gives out headstrong comments or replies with sarcasm. Nonetheless, it felt refreshing. So I continued to engage in the conversation.

“Today was alright - if you count the CEO rejecting my song,” I told her gloomily. I had managed to finish writing one more last song, even though I did not feel like it was good enough, I still showed him. I was hoping he would accept this a rough draft, however, that was not the case. He wanted the song perfect and to completion for recording. 

“I didn’t know songs had to go through approval before release. I thought since you were the producer, it could be released on your terms.” Eun-ri questioningly said to me. 

“I can release songs on my own through other third party sites. But official group songs have to be approved when under a company though,” I answered back. 

“Hey, I have a question, how do you react to someone who just popped up after so many years and you didn’t want to see that person at all?” Her voice became shaky. I got this feeling that it was probably related to her personally. However, it was not courteous to ask about it. 

“If someone that I did not want to see, pop up again after many years, I would just ignore them. If they did something bad, why should I start caring again?” I gave her my opinion in hopes that would help answer her question.

“Hmm...that is a good option.” She replied. Suddenly, without thinking, my mouth acted faster than my mind. 

“Now I have a question,” I turned to her. “Why did you help me that day when I was blackout drunk? You were off duty.”

Eun-ri took a few minutes to reply to this question. I was really curious about it but never got the chance to ask her. 

“I’m a doctor no matter what, it is my job to help others in need,” Eun-ri said calmly as our eyes met. 

“Also, the state you were in, reminded me of someone a long time ago, that’s why.” Eun-ri added on. 

“Who-” I was immediately cut off when Eun-ri got up from her chair. “It’s getting late, I, uh, better get to sleep. I have work again tomorrow.” 

Before leaving, she mentioned shyly, “Hey, thanks for talking, maybe you are not so bad after all.” 

I watched her leave as her dark shadow followed her. Her last statement made my heart jump. Did I like her? I thought to myself. But why? Our personalities clashed a lot when we first met. Time will just have to tell.