Chapter 11

One and Only You

Eun-ri’s POV

“Dr. Han, your next patient will be here at 2 p.m.” My nurse had beeped me of my next appointment. Till then, I decided to go on my lunch break. Today was different though. I had been drowning in work to keep my mind off what happened last night. The kiss! But still, just because we did it once did not mean we were dating though. He did confess his feelings for me. 

Ahhhh! Why does this have to be so confusing? Do I like him? He was sweet after helping with my situation and seemed like a decent guy. I didn’t know what to do! Jae-beom wanted an answer by today! This was overwhelming for me to handle, I needed an expert and I knew just who to call.

I walked over to the break room to grab my lunch. I rarely ate with any of my colleagues unless it was for professional purposes. As I grabbed my lunch, it was bustling with conversations of random topics. 

“Yah! Dr.Han, grab drinks with us tonight?.” The new doctor, socializing with the others, called out to me. Everyone stared at me with intense eyes searching for a hopeful answer. 

 “Sorry, Dr. Lee, I have other plans tonight. Also, I do not drink, just as a reminder. Thank you.” I bowed politely and made my way out the door. 

“Hmph! Of course, she would refuse! Such an arrogant woman!” The response from Dr. Ko - the hospital’s chairman’s daughter - got to me. But I could not make a scene in such a place, so I decided to let it go. I walked back to my office to enjoy lunch and call Seo-yeon to talk about the unexpected event. However, just when I was about to call, her name lit up on my phone.

“You on break yet?!” She exclaimed through the phone. “Yeonnie, how many times have I told you to start off with greetings,” I told her in a motherly tone, but she did not listen as usual. “Ughhh, never mind that. I have important news to tell you!” Seo-yeon was in excitement, it had to be good.

“GOT7’s JB came to my bar, asking for your number! I don’t know why so suddenly though. Did anything happen between you two? Are you hiding a secret from me?” My own best friend has started her daily interrogation again. 

“Seo-yeon-ah, I am going to tell you something, but I cannot hear a word from you until I finish. Okay?” She calmly gave me her confirmation. I gave her the rundown of what had happened yesterday. After the infamous story, there was a huge pause before her shrieking began. She was so loud that my eardrums felt they were ringing. It took her a while to calm down. 

“Okay! Since you are too busy to shop, well you never liked shopping anyways. I remember all the sighing when we went together, it was like dragging a little-” Seo-yeon continued to ramble on as usual. You have to stop her at some point or else you never get to speak 

“Are you done talking? What’s your point?” I asked her firmly. “Since it is slow here, I am going to go shopping for you and drop them off at your place. Buy some nice outfits and makeup. You never know when you go out on a date. Ahhh my dear Rinnie finally has a boyfriend!” It felt like she was more excited than me. However, she still hasn’t answered my question. 

“Yeonnie, we are not together yet. I still have no accepted yet because I am contemplating on pros and cons.” I told her bashfully. “Rinnie, your main concern is that he is an idol right? My best opinion would be to go on a date first. See if he piques your interest. If not, just tell him no.” She was always so confident with her advice. I hope it works out well

“Alright, thank you. Also, please do not tell Dong-hyun oppa yet. I should tell myself.” I just my goodbyes to her, promising to give all the details and updates of my hypothetical relationship. As soon as I cleaned up my lunch, I received a message from an unknown number. Could it be him? My heart had a different emotion than my mind. 

Hey Eun-ri, its Jae-beom. Got your number from Seo-yeon. Are you free tonight? If so, I will pick you up at 8 pm. I have a special surprise.

It wouldn’t hurt to go, I thought. I responded back confirming my invitation. This surprise better be good. It did sound like he was sincere. I saved his number and quickly got back to work to get ready for my next patient. 

Jae-beom’s POV

Earlier today, I had obtained Eun-ri’s number from her best friend at the bar - the bar where supposedly first met. I found a good place for a date, as it had to be less crowded and no paparazzi. The members were really shocked as I went through last night’s events. It took them a while to process it as it was a sudden confession and unexpected. But nonetheless, they gave me full support. Of course, this meant, teasing will happen until I am able to officially introduce them to our little family. BamBam was kind enough to help me find a date spot in a nice restaurant that was less crowded. Shouldn’t have to be around paparazzi, that would just make this whole night a disaster. He even talked to the manager and got everything set up.

Currently, we were at Jackson’s and In-ah’s place after recording and vocal practice. Oh also, I have not mentioned my date to In-ah yet. In a few hours, I had to get ready for my date, but I needed the help of members.

“Jackson! I’m home!” In-ah exclaimed as she entered her place. She looked up and noticed that all of us were here. “Oh, what brings you all here?” She casually asked as she gave hugs to all the members. 

Telling In-ah would be here as she was the only woman in our small family so far. But I knew she would be supportive as were with Jackson and her. “In-ah, I...uhhh… I have something to tell you.” I calmly gathered my thoughts and finally blurted it out. “I’m going on a date with Eun-ri. I confessed to her last night.” There was a slight pause before her response. 

“Aiya, why were you nervous to tell me?! I guess my meddling did work. Well what are you going to wear? You need to dress to impress!” In-ah suddenly started getting excited like a teenage girl. Maybe…. I should not have told her such in detail. 

“Well… I don’t know, maybe this?” I looked down at my black Thrasher hoodie and ripped jeans. I wasn’t the type to dress up in a suit unless it was performance purposes. “Do you guys have any ideas?” In-ah looked at the boys for suggestions, but all she got was blank expressions. 

“Ahhh…. Must I do everything myself?” In-ah exasperated and disappeared into the guest room. All of was were pondering about this dilemma. Suddenly she reappeared with some of my clothes. Ah! I forgot, I and the members always kept nice clothes here just in case, as it was also close to the office. 

“Since you have the grunge style, a suit doesn’t fit you. Instead, to keep your style, I would suggest this black leather jacket, a blue button-down shirt, and black jeans. Still keeps it classy.” In-ah suggested. That was actually a good idea and even the members thought so. Thus, In-ah’s date suggestions and lessons continued on. Although considering Eun-ri’s personality, I knew none of them would help. But it was for her gratitude, so I let it be.

*************

It was exactly 8 p.m and I was standing in front of Eun-ri’s door. This was more nervewracking than performing on stage. I could start to feel my hands sweat, but I couldn’t; that would inappropriate on a first date. I also would never be able to hold her hand also. My hand staggered to ring her doorbell. “Coming! I’m ready!” I could her bustling as she didn’t want to be late. In an instant, she opened the door, looking gorgeous as ever! Her black dress complimented her figure along with her red heels. Her makeup was minimal and still enhanced her features. She was so perfect, I could feel my heart beating rapidly. 

“Wow!.....wow!...wow!” I muttered. “Are those the only adjectives you can think of? Do you not have a dictionary?” She said to me while closing her door. I cleared my throat and gathered my thoughts. “Still sassy as ever,” I said to her. 

“How else would I be able to keep you on your toes?” she fired back. Both of us headed down to the car. 

“Where are we going?” Eun-ri curiously asked. I told her how it would be a surprise and not worry, as I made sure there were not a lot of crowds. It had to be peaceful and quiet for us. Plus, I knew Eun-ri had her worries about us going out together. 

“Amazing! This place is beautiful!” Eun-ri was in awe of the brightly lit garden. The lights illuminated the flowers and shone like stars. I had to thank BamBam for this idea. 

“I knew you would enjoy it. It took me a while to find this place.” I replied to her amazement. Like a gentleman, I let out her chair for her to sit. 

“Jae-beom, I didn’t want to bring this up now, but we won’t get caught will we?” Eun-ri asked hastily. 

“No, don’t worry, I made sure with the manager and owner about that issue. Let’s get to ordering food.” I said to her. 

The rest of the dinner spread out with conversations about work and our friends respectively. However, when I tried to mention family, it felt as if there was an elephant in the room. Maybe I shouldn’t pry in right away, she will open up when she’s ready. 

*******

After dinner, we drove to the Han River for a walk. Since it was a late-night, there were not many people around. This gave the surroundings to be peaceful and quiet. 

“Jae-beom, why did you confess that day? Why do you like me?” Eun-ri muttered. I took her hand as a sign of affection. To make her know that I really wanted this relationship to go somewhere. 

“I...I told you because I like you. I really do. Your personality attracts me, the way you are so independent. We are complete opposites, but something pulled me towards you.” After confessing again, I grabbed her hand pulled her into a hug. 

“Eun-ri, I really really, like you. Please like me back. I will always listen to you, protect you, and care for you.” I felt her arms weaving around my back and grasping my jacket. 

“I…..I….I like you too. But please be patient with me. I might not always open up directly, it takes time. I have never been dependent on anyone, let alone romantically involved.” She replied calmly. I was so so excited about her response and caressed her hair. 

Leaning away from the hug, I put my hands against her cheeks. Her skin was so soft, my eyes darted towards her lips. I saw her immediately closing her eyes and also leaning in. She was so cute trying. Without a moment’s notice, our lips met each other. I could tell she was still nervous, as I felt her lips quivering. 

“Ow!” I let go from our personal space. Eun-ri was worried now. “Omo! Jae-beom-ah! I’m so sorry! Are you ok?! Did I bite too hard?” 

I chuckled in spite of her worry. She was too adorable. “Aiya it’s fine. This just means you need more practice right?” She avoided contacted and her ears blushed a shade of a red strawberry. 

“Tsk. Let’s go home, it’s getting late.” I caught up to her and walked back to the car holding hands.