1.4. Her evil twin cousin is in love with a dead girl too

Light seeks Darkness

I was breathing heavily as her scent locked me in place. The prosecutor was not even trying to move away from me even she already had the camera in hand. I wonder what’s going on in her head. She was just so close, her breath was fanning my face. It was annoying how it reminds me of the mint chocolates I hate so much. The lack of distance was almost making me swoon. I can't even reach out for the camera that she cradled on her side. Why is she even getting involved in this?

 

 

 

I tried hard to break her spell, speaking anxiously.

 

 

"What do you think you’re doing counselor?"

 

 

"Saving my only chance to catch Tiffany’s murderer."

 

I breathe in and out through my nose. Of course, she is. That's all she cared for. Catching the murderer. Maybe you should follow her example. At least she has a one track mind.

 

 

 

"This has nothing to do with the case." I replied exasperatedly, I think I'll pass out soon if she won't give me space. God, it's dizzying to be this close her. Why am I not feeling this way when I'm with you? She must be a witch or something.

 

 

 

 

She leaned closer, her scent overwhelming me more. A loud groan escaped my throat when her lips touched my ear. What the is going on here soojung-ah?

 

 

 

"It has everything to do with the case you fool. Didn't you notice, those people are all present when the crime happened? Each person in the room have an encounter with the victim somehow."

 

 

 

"What are you talking about? That can't be, I had the police files. She was supposed to be on---" she covered my mouth with her palm without warning. Her piercing gaze was probably trying to tell me not talk or something, but that gaze was not really helping at the moment.

 

 

 

"Shhh, someone's listening." she whispered again. I can barely hear it this time. She must be doing this on purpose. Her lips were just too ing close. I can feel how her lower lip moved a bit as she breathe in my ear. I shivered.

 

 

 

An involuntary moan escaped my lips when she suddenly my ear. It's muffled by her palms but we both hear it clearly. I can feel her smirking, her breath was making the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

I moved to push her away. It was futile. She pushed me harder on to the door. I glared at her. Your evil twin cousin is more dangerous than I thought, she was not budging and the daze was making me weak in the knees.

 

 

It was a pathetic losing battle, she didn’t really gave me a chance.

 

 

She bit my ear after a few heart beats purposefully letting go of my mouth. A loud drawn out moan came out. It was followed by a loud shuffling on the other side of the door. Then everything got silent except for my heavy breathing.

 

 

 

Krystal was looking at me blankly as if nothing happened. I moved to open the door, my camera already in my hand. She didn't stop me, but she speaks in english before I can open the door.

 

 

 

"You must have really love her, for you to still want to do this. Fine be stupid, but be wary Amber Liu. One of the people you'll draw is a cold blooded murderer, they're watching you too."

 

 

 

"You're one of them, aren’t you? Shouldn't I be afraid of you too?" I looked at her curiously, Krystal is really a piece of work. She didn't even stumble with the foreign sounding words. Her accent was evidently better that yours and your sister’s. She's not even fazed by what have just occurred.

 

 

 

"Not all of them has been in love with the victim for two decades."

 

 

I let go of the door knob when I heard her answer. Looking at her closely, trying to find the lie, or any probable explanation. That's just sick if it's true. How can she even continue pursuing the case? I threw up when I saw it, and I feel like throwing up just by remembering it. 

 

 

 

Her expression was still passive. Those obsidian eyes were looking back at me without blinking. I don’t know why, but I was convinced that she was not lying. Perhaps it’s the sound of sincerity in her words, the sadness. It's the first time I heard her speak with a tinge of emotion. Something not identical to annoyance or boredom.

 

 

 

I reached for her hand, shaking it slowly. She was soft and breakable and real. It made me smile a little.

 

 

 

"You got yourself the deal Prosecutor Jung. I'll help you find your justice, you'll help me save my princess."

 

 

 

Her hand remained limp in my own. She's looking at me with mistrust.

 

 

 

"We're both in love with the dead Krystal. You're in love with a murdered girl. I'm in love with a memory of what a girl used to be."

 

 

 

I told her honestly. Explaining myself to a stranger I have barely known. This has been one of the weakness I loathe that you have thought me.

 

 

Empathy.

 

 

I was not supposed to feel that towards another human being because people are dangerous. They are selfish and they are definitely more cruel than any other organism that walked the world.

 

 

 

The prosecutor walked away without another word. The remnant of Channel 05 that cling to my lapels made me feel light headed. I walked dazed towards the light.

 

 

 

When I reached the edge of the common room, I saw you at the center with your fiance. We were a few steps apart but from my vantage point, I can see you looking directly at me with a frown. I tried to catch your gaze, but I can’t. Your eyes were darting back and forth between me and Krystal. No, Soojungie, you got it wrong. I made a bee line towards you but the colonel cleared his throat before I can get to you. I sighed, turning my attention to him like everyone else.

 

 

 

"Everyone please. Gather round, time for the family picture. Our photographer here, will take it now, won't you Mr. Liu?"

 

 

 

I can see you stand rigidly as you watched your dad walk closer to my direction. Again, I tried to catch your eyes but you look away.

 

 

 

"Yes Sir, kindly stand in position ladies and gentlemen."

 

 

 

I tried saying formally without gagging. He’s still misgendering me after all this time, what a prick. I don't really get why this is even necessary at all, if not for your fiance's stupid idea of making you understand that you have gained my approval towards the upcoming nuptials. It was as weird as it usually can be, especially because it seems like the Colonel is on this too.

 

 

 

 

I don't think I can do this, but I toggle with the camera in my hand. The colonel was eyeing me closely. It was a tad bit disconcerting and I have all the right to feel afraid somehow. You know I am more scared of your dad than your engineering physics 2 professor, and that's something, really.

 

I tried to find any distraction. Your dad was still observing me.

 

 

 

Jessica was standing as far away from your dad as possible, I opened mouth to ask her to move beside Mrs. Jung, but I can't see your mother anywhere. My eyes began to wander warily around the room. 

 

 

 

As if sensing my anguish, I can see the prosecutor’s eyes doing an overtime job looking everywhere as well. We we're moving in synchrony without even talking. She moved closely towards my boss.

 

 

 

I counted the guest in the middle. Two people are missing, Mrs. Jung not included at that, I looked back at Krystal. She's still having a whispered conversation with your uncle.

 

 

 

"Can we have another 15 minutes Colonel. My cousins are on the powder room."

 

 

"I'm sure Mr. Liu wouldn't mind."

 

 

"Yes sir, not at all."

 

 

I looked back at you, worried. Minyhuk was not beside you anymore. I didn't waste any more minute. Ignoring the knowing eyes of your father, I reached for your arm and pulled you a little bit father from the crowd. Jessica was standing close to my boss and Krystal. She's talking to someone in her phone.

 

 

 

Your father's attention turned towards the old judge, Minyhuk's grandfather. 

 

 

I took the opportunity to pull you close until the shadows covered us from the strangers in the room. I can feel you trying to take off my grip on your arms. I let go, not wanting to make you do anything you don't like.

 

 

 

"What's going on between you and that ?"

 

 

 

"Soojung language." I reprimanded. You're never really a fan of cussing, I didn't even know you can say that word with such venom. I have momentarily forgotten the tension in the room when I look you directly in the eyes. The dim light in the farther end of the room, illuminated your hazel brown eyes a little.

 

 

 

You're really close to crying. You're glaring at me hard.

 

 

 

"Princess, shhh. I'm yours remember? Only yours."

 

 

Maybe the prosecutor and I are both demented, because I know I shouldn't be saying those words. Deep down I know that I am just hurting myself more, but I just can't stand seeing you this way.

 

 

I tugged you a little more, until we're engulfed completely by the shadows. I held you close, your head rests in the crook of my neck as I whispered the words you used to love to hear when you're still mine. This is cheating. I am definitely doing something that might get me killed, but I just can't let you be this way, just five minutes. For just 300 short seconds, I wanted you to feel that you have me. You will always have me. Even if you'll be someone else's wife soon.

 

 

 

I breathe in your scent. You're clinging to me hard. I did the same. I didn't whisper I love you of course. I whispered the poetry I never finished. The one you said, I should've written for someone else.  How can I ever love someone else?

 

A loud breaking sound pulled us away from our sins. I immediately let go, pushing you back to the bright light of the room. People were scrambling towards the source of the sound. I stayed in the darkness. I can't leave you alone with this people. I can sense the danger the prosecutor has been telling me. I can feel the same darkness from them. Something identical with the one within the core of my being.

 

 

 

I was unable to stop my eyes from trailing after Krystal, when she walked in front of me. She still walks like she owns the world. Similar and different from the way you do at the same time. She walks like she owns it. I cling to every movement she made until she was out of my sight.

 

 

 

Something is terribly wrong with me.

 

 

 

I forced my eyes to get back to watching you and I almost whimpered. You're in his arms again. He has his face buried in your neck. You have your eyes open. You're looking at me sadly. I didn't bother trying to follow the crowd. I know for sure that the family picture will be cancelled for today, I walked towards the exit.

 

 

 

I seriously need to smoke again.