A spiral down

It Started with a Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun’s hands trembled, fingers hovering over the bright green call button. A button waiting for to be pressed, a trigger waiting to launch the bomb. 

 

Yongsun know Byulyi would understand, she had for years past. She hoped her Byulyi  would just one more time. Anyways, she knew everything about Yongsun already. Nothing had to change. Unless either of them wanted it to. Deep down, Yongsun knew she wanted something more now.

 

If she was being honest with herself, this friendship the two of them had shared had changed for Yongsun over the past few years. Though their appearances changed and matured from the careless chubby cheeked, pudgy middle-schoolers to the self-conscious and worrisome college students. The innocent gestures of affection remained. Except now, Yongsun cheeks would cover themselves in a warm blanket of red as she hoped Byulyi hadn’t noticed. 

 

Her feelings mimicked your age. Yongsun grew older. And her love for Byulyi simply followed whether or not Yongsun had noticed.  

 

When Yongsun met her, she knew something about this girl was different. Something in Yongsun knew Byulyi would be important to her. In time, her happiness would become Yongsun’s. Her sadness Yongsun’s. Her worries. Her excitement. Hers. Yongsun’s. Along with those boundaries blurring, the line between friendship and something more was nearly indistinguishable. 

 

As the years passed, the questions and teasing only multiplied from friends and family alike. 

 “Yongsun, are you dating Byulyi?”

“Aww Yongsun, you and Byulyi are the cutest.”

“Where’s your girlfriend, Yongsun?”

“How long have you two been together?”

“When’s the wedding, Yongsun?” 

 

Usually, when Yongsun was with Byulyi, the two of them would just laugh off the comments, hoping the other wouldn’t notice the faint blush appearing on their cheeks. Then quickly, changing the conversation but not before checking each others reaction to the comment. Hoping the other wasn’t repulsed by the idea. However, Yongsun never asked Byulyi about it. And, in return, she never asked Yongsun. Laugh and forget. Laugh and change the conversation. Apparently, some things are better left unspoken. Maybe this was one of those things. 

 

As time passed, Yongsun’s feelings towards her friend only increased. But she would question. 

 

“Why ruin our friendship, a once-in-a-lifetime friendship. Why?”

 

Yongsun believed in soulmates. Soulmates for many things. She knew she had found some of hers. Wheein was her karaoke soulmate. Hyejin her movie-night soulmate. Chorong her food soulmate. Irene her shopping soulmate. But Byulyi. Yongsun hadn’t found the label for her quite yet. She didn’t seem to fit into one category. She was unlike the others. Yongsun knew that at least. 

 

But she was the only one that made Yongsun feel a special warmth radiate from from the tips of her toes to the top of her head. Only one who could make Yongsun’s body thrum with excitement and glee as she waited for her Byulyi to come back home to their shared apartment. Only her Byulyi’s smile could make her chest ache lovingly as she took a mental picture to forever remember the way Byulyi's nose crinkled adorably and her would eyes disappear leaving only crescents behind. No one else made Yongsun’s heart beat impossibly, faster when they hugged or their hands would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter