Chapter 3

Focus On Me

He leads you to a room that has all sorts of music equipment in it. There’s a table with a computer on it. He pulls out the chair for you and you take a seat. He goes across the room and gets another chair and sits beside you. For the next hour, he goes over his writing process and plays some of his old songs that didn’t make it onto their albums. You are not sure why JYP would refuse any of them and feel a sense of anger that they turned him down, especially after you’ve seen how passionate he is about it.

In between songs, you talk about other things as well and get to know him better. It feels like it did with Jinyoung. Once you have a conversation, you no longer see them as idols, but just really amazing guys. You feel more comfortable around him, just as long as he’s not looking directly into your eyes. Every time he’s done that so far, you look at the computer or you look away from that piercing gaze. When he’s the one looking at the computer, you can’t help but catch a side glimpse of him. You knew he was handsome, but he’s even more attractive this close up. His jawline is sharp, his skin is smooth and he smells so good.

He coughs, snapping you back to your senses, “So I got nervous after asking you to listen to the song and I’ve been trying to avoid playing it for you but now I want to”. He moves his chair closer to the screen but at the same time it also moves closer to you. Your knees are touching now and your dress is feeling too short. He probably can’t feel the touch through his pj bottoms or he would have moved his legs away. You have no room to move either, so you stay like that.

“Am I the first person you’re playing it for?”, you ask and he nods. “I’ve been working on it for a few days, but I’m not quite sure yet. Maybe if I knew how it made people feel”. You feel an immense pressure but you want to be of some help to him. “Okay”, you say anxiously and give it your full attention. The song starts playing. The music sounds good. You get swept up in the words and your chest aches. You can feel the tears coming on and you let out a sob.

He hits pause, “Are you okay?”. You feel two drops roll down your cheeks. “Did I make you cry?”, he asks worriedly. He leaves his seat and returns with a box of tissues. “Say something please”, his voice is gentle. “I could feel it I could feel the song I could feel the lyrics. It was. You sigh, unable to express your emotions. “Well I guess I got my answer about whether it’s portraying emotion”, he says, brushing away a tear drop your tissue missed, leaving you completely taken aback. His hand lingers and you meet his eyes. He is staring back at you. Suddenly a strange feeling appears? Why are you having this feeling? It’s almost like you want to kiss him! He looks down at your lips and back up at you again. Is he feeling the same thing? You can feel the tension building between the two of you.  

“Hi”, a voice makes you jump and you see Jinyoung standing by the doorway, “What’s going on?”. His tone is not exactly accusatory but you feel a wave of guilt. Jinyoung! Jinyoung! How did you forgot about him in the past hour or so? What is happening to you? What would have happened if he hadn’t shown up? Would you have really kissed Jaebum? “Hey”, you say as Jaebum backs his chair away. Jinyoung walks over to you and leans down, “Are you crying”. You wipe your eyes again, “Sorry, this isn’t what it looks like I mean I was crying, but only because he played me a song. Your eyes meet Jaebum’s again. “I was surprised too”, he says, “I thought I did something wrong”. Was he about to do something wrong? Were you both about to? No! You would never!

Jinyoung helps you out of the chair, “Well thank you for keeping her company hes amazing isnt he his lyrics move me too”. Jaebum turns his attention back to the screen. “I’m sorry I kept you waiting I tried calling but you didnt pick up, he says and you remember you left your handbag in the other room. “It’s okay, he explained that you were probably held up”, you say. “Shall we go then?”, Jinyoung holds out his hand and you take it. He leans in closer and whispers in your ear, “You look beautiful”. You blush and look away only to catch Jaebum watching you. “Enjoy”, he says. “It was nice meeting you thank you for the water and for making me cry”, you tease, “I really hope it makes it onto the next album”.

“I don’t”, he says, “Do I really want to make girls cry”. “It’s my fault”, you say, “I have weak tear ducts”. He laughs, “I’ve never heard that one before”. “I told you”, Jinyoung says to him while he looks at you, “Smart and funny she never fails to amaze me”. They are both smiling now, but Jaebum’s is more awkward. “We should go”, you say , embarrassed by the compliments. Jinyoung leads the way out and you say goodbye to Jaebum. You don’t know why but you feel sad about that. You stop at the door and look at him. As if he senses this, he turns around and looks back at you. “Don’t doubt your talent or your lyrics”. And then you walk away.