Chapter 2

Focus On Me

A month has passed since the first time you met Jinyoung, and since then you have you have gone on 2 dates. Being an idol didn’t leave him much free time, but he really seems to be making an effort. The more you get to know him, the more you like him. He is an extremely sweet guy who makes you laugh all the time. Texts turned into calls and now you spend every night on the phone with him. You can’t remember a time before you met him.

You attended a music show in the past week. You were blown away by his performance. He had no idea you were coming. You hoped you could surprise him after, but it was impossible to get anywhere near him. His talent just made him more attractive to you. It felt even more unreal watching him on stage, knowing that that was your Jinyoung. Well, he wasn’t yours yet, but you hoped he would be someday soon. It took more dates before a guy could ask a girl to be his girlfriend and you are pretty sure idols were even more careful about it.

~~~~~~~

Today is the 3rd date and you aren’t as nervous as the last two times. He has asked you to meet him at their dorm. You wonder if you will see the rest of the guys there. This is the first time the two of you are going out at night. The last two dates were casual café dates. It was kind of your thing now since that was the type of place you met at. Both times he complained that they didn’t make the drinks as good as you did. You loved it when he complimented you. This date tonight seems fancy so you get dressed up. You just bought a new pair of heels and this is the perfect occasion to break them in. Luckily even with the heels on, he would still be taller than you.

The plan is to meet at his place because there is a restaurant nearby that he wants to take you to. He has a schedule until 6 pm and will take at least an hour to get back and get ready so you agree to arrive at 7 pm. You overestimate the busyness of traffic and get there by 6:30 pm. You take the elevator up to his apartment and text him when you are outside. There is no reply, so you decide to wait outside the door for him. People pass by and stare and you wonder if maybe you are not supposed to be seen. Dating scandals are always an issue for idols. That’s why he has been taking you to inconspicuous places. You become paranoid and press the buzzer, hoping whoever is on the other side of that camera does not mistaken you for a crazed fan.

“Hello”, someone answers. You know Jinyoung’s voice well enough now to know it’s not him. You greet them back and introduce yourself hoping he told whoever answered that you will be coming. This seems to be the case because the door beeps and opens. You step inside awkwardly, unsure of whether you should go further in or not. “Hey”, it’s that voice again and you see Jaebum approaching you. He’s in pj bottoms and a white tee and his hair is messy like he has just woken up.

“I’m sorry for disturbing you. I just didn’t know if I should wait out there or come inside and Jinyoung wasn’t responding”, you realize you are rambling and slow down your words, “Anyway thanks for letting me in is he here?”. “Not yet”, Jaebum says, “But you are welcome to wait inside for him. He should have been here already but I think they got held up at the studio”. You nod slightly and follow him to the living room.

“Can I get you anything to drink?”, he goes to the kitchen and opens the fridge, “Let me rephrase that, can I get you water because we have nothing else”. “Water’s fine”, you say with a smile. He smiles back and you are surprisingly flustered. You always thought that once you found a boy you liked, other boys would not have that effect on you. Apparently you are very wrong about that. He loosens the bottle cap and hands the water to you. It is evident that Jinyoung isn’t the only sweet guy in the group. “This feels weird”, you say, “I’m usually the one serving the drinks thank you”.

He sits down on the other end of the couch, “Yeah he’s been bugging us to come to your café with him. He claims you make the best drinks”. “I do”, you say jokingly, taking a sip of your water. “Well then I guess I’ll have to visit sometime”, he looks over to you and smiles again. You really wish he would stop doing that because it’s making you feel weird. Not bad weird, but a weird you should not be feeling. You sip on your water again. You are thankful for it because your throat is becoming drier. He is effortlessly making you nervous. Even if he did just wake up, he looks so good. All you can think of how it would feel to play with that hair and mess it up even more.

“You have no idea how much we need to go shopping”, he says, “We tend to eat and drink everything in sight. I wish I had more to offer our guests”. You hold the bottle up, “I’m all good, besides I’m more of an intruder than a guest. Please feel free to carry on with whatever you were doing before I got here. I already feel terrible for barging in like this”. “No I didn’t hear my alarm so it’s a good thing you woke me up”, he says and you feel a little relieved, “I was hoping a nap would help clear my mind. I’m working on this new song and I just feel so unsure about its direction”. 

“Well if it’s anything like your other songs, I’m sure it’s pretty great”, you say. “You like our music?”, he asks, “Or are you just biased because you’re dating one of us?”. “I liked your music before I met Jinyoung”, you explain, “Especially your lyrics. You’re an amazing writer”. “Well thank you”, he puts his hands together sincerely. “So what issue are you having with this new song?”, you put the bottle down on the floor. You realize if you keep downing the water, you’re going to need the bathroom soon and there’s just no way you can go pee while he waits here for you to return.

“I’m trying to portray this emotion and I don’t know if it’s coming across the way I want it to”, he says, “Maybe you could help me with that”. “Help you how?”, you ask. “Come on”, he stands up, “I’ll show you”.