Chapter 1

Focus On Me

He walks into the café you work at with two girls who look enough like him for you to deduce they are his sisters. Off course you know exactly who he is; Got7’s Jinyoung. You have been working here for over a month, but this is the first time an idol has been a customer. You are a student at college saving up for a trip overseas with your friends, and right now you couldn’t be more excited that of all the places you applied to; this is the one that hired you. One of the girls comes to place an order while he and the other girl find a table. He’s dressed in jeans, a navy tee and a striped cardigan with that signature hair that gives you a sneak peak at his forehead. He always looks good on TV, but it definitely tones down his appearance. He is way more gorgeous in person.

When she leaves to join them, you get started on the drinks. You got your barista certificate a week ago and eagerly await any opportunity to put your new skills to work. After 7 minutes, you have all 3 drinks ready and start making your way over to serve it to them. Just a few steps later, you freeze and turn back around. You are suddenly nervous. You ask another waitress to take the drinks from you and she is more than happy to do so. You feel a tinge of envy at her confidence to walk up to him so bravely. Then you start feeling silly. Since when do you become nervous around someone just because they are famous? Sure you are a fan of Got7 but between work and studying, you don’t really have much time to fangirl over idols.

After 2 hours of trying not to stare at them, they are ready to leave. Jinyoung comes over to pay the bill and your nervousness comes rushing back. There is no escape this time. Even if you want to run away, your knees feel wobbly. You put on your best smile and process his payment. Your head is down the entire time, but you can feel his gaze on you. “I must admit I was a bit disappointed”, he says and you look at him confused. “I saw you turn around before. You must have really not wanted to serve me”. You remain silent for a moment, shocked by his words. How did he even notice that? Now he probably thinks that you are some anti-fan. Great first impression! What are you saying??? It’s not like he is going to remember any impression you leave on him.

“Uhm… no, you shake your head awkwardly, “I guess I was just too nervous”. It was the truth and you actually don’t feel too shy to admit it. He smiles and you look back down again. You can’t possibly look at him when he smiles like that. “I was nervous too”, he goes on. Your confusion grows deeper. “What could possibly make you nervous?”, you ask. He leans in closer and you try your best not to back away You”, he confesses and your cheeks get heated. “I was nervous about coming and talking to you, but my sisters made me”. You look back at his table and the girls turn away hastily. It is obvious they are spying on the situation.

“Why would I make you nervous?”, you ask. He pauses for a moment and you wonder if you’ve asked too many questions and he’s over this conversation already. “Because I think you are really pretty”, he says. He doesn’t seem nervous at all. If anything, his confidence is overwhelming and you are currently dying inside. “And I was wondering if maybe you wanted to add some numbers to that receipt other than just the prices of our coffees”, he immediately chuckles, “Sorry, I was trying to be smooth but I’m really bad at this”. You giggle at his cute attempt, “No it was pretty smooth”. He beams victoriously and hands you his card to pay the bill.

You print out the receipt, grab a pen and write your number on it. You hand it to him, “Thank you for coming. We look forward to seeing you again”. He looks at the piece of paper in his hand and smirks, “Oh I look forward to it too”.

~~~~~~~

Jinyoung texts you later that night and you spend a good 5 hours chatting before you have to sleep. You have morning classes tomorrow and get ready for bed while he gets ready for practice. Your schedules work differently; he sleeps late and wakes up late while it’s the opposite for you. It’s amazing how much you got to know about him in just one conversation. You say goodnight to him and place your phone down, fighting the urge to pick it up again. It’s still a bit surreal to you. You go over some of the topics you discussed while you try to fall asleep. He told you all about his day before and after the café, his sisters, and Got7’s comeback which was coming soon. You found out a bit about his childhood and his hobbies and favorite things. You told him the reason you were working at the café and he spoke about how he would love to travel for leisure and not just work. He asked you to text him tomorrow when you were free so you could chat again. You hug your teddy bear close and hope for sweet dreams even though your reality just got a whole lot better.