Contact

Inside The Dark

 

Sehun finds it hard to focus even after they get into the club. With its loud music, bouncing neon lights, it’s still not enough to keep his mind off the earlier kiss. Kai doesn’t seem distracted however, seeming normal as usual. He wonders if the demon did it just for the sake of calming him down. “Sehun?”

 

“Huh?” He shakes his head and looks up. 

 

“I’m going with Tao for drinks,” Kai announces. “Do you want anything?”

 

“Oh,” He clears his throat as he sits in the middle of the dark, leather couch. Tao was able to secure a private area upstairs, overlooking the dancefloor and bar. “Maybe just some water or juice.”

 

“Whhhat?” Baekhyun clicks his tongue. “You’re not drinking?!”

 

“Maybe later,” He smiles tightly, watching as the demon walks off with Tao. As soon as they’re out of listening distance, he quickly turns to Baekhyun, Luhan, Chanyeol; causing all three of them to jump a bit. “Okay, time to ing settle this!”

 

“Uhh, are you okay?” Chanyeol asks.

 

“No,” Sehun grumbles. “Chanyeol, tell me! As a demon, would you ever put people in the hospital for a human?!”

 

“Well…uh…” Chanyeol leans back. “No, to be honest. Maybe if they...asked me to. Even then, we’d have to have a contract and I’d have to really like him…”

 

“But what if they didn’t ask you? If you just...knew they wanted it but didn’t say it?”

 

“Yeah, demons would only do that if they REALLY liked their human,” The demon admits.

 

“Okay, what about kissing their contract to calm them down?”

 

Chanyeol scoffs. “Why would we do that? Really strong demons can help calm a human’s emotions just by a single touch! Kissing isn’t necessary at all.”

 

Sehun furrows his brows. “Is...Kai that strong?”

 

“Kai? Hmm…” Chanyeol purses his lips. “Totally! Kai’s the kind of demon who relies more on his physical prowess than spells, though.”

 

The punk slowly leans back. “S-so…”

 

Baekhyun widens his eyes. “Did Kai kiss you?!”

 

Sehun fiddles with his jacket sleeve and shrugs. “Um...I...maybe?”

 

Chanyeol raises his brows. “Kai kissed you? KAI?”

 

“It’s not a big deal…”

 

“It’s a huge deal!” The demon gasps loudly, standing up quickly.

 

“What’s a huge deal?” Tao asks as the two approach, drinks in hands.

 

“U-uh…” Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun, panic in his eyes.

 

“Guitar!” Luhan blurts. “G-guitars are a REALLY big deal!’

 

Kai furrows his brows as he takes his seat beside Sehun. “Guitars? Chanyeol, you already know what those are.”

 

“Y-yeah but Baekhyun is gonna teach me how to play!” 

 

“Wow,” Tao laughs. “I didn’t know demons were so interested in this kind of thing.”

 

“Demons LOVE music!” Chanyeol shouts, clumsily sitting back down. Sehun tries not to shake when Kai hands him his drink. He mumbles a quiet thank you before looking down at it. Tea, exactly what he wanted and yet...he sighs. Demons and their weird feeling magic. He sighs and closes his eyes as he takes a sip. Perfect with honey and milk; he had no idea clubs even served this kind of stuff. He shivers a bit at how closely Kai sits beside him; feeling the demon’s heat even from his position. That’s something Sehun likes about Kai; he always has warm body temperature, always warm to the touch. He always finds himself slightly leaning into the man, even now. Without realizing it, he finds himself pressed against the demon’s side, with Kai’s arm resting behind him along the back of the couch. When Sehun finally opens his eyes, he watches as Baekhyun stands up to pick something up. He squints when he notices something written on his lower back as his shirt slightly raises. 

 

“I didn’t know you had any tattoos, Baek,” Sehun points out. He raises a brow when Baekhyun quickly covers it up, his cheeks growing pink. 

 

“I-I uh…”

 

Sehun slowly looks over to Chanyeol, staring at how the demon averts his gaze. He gasps as he puts two and two together. “You two signed a contract!”

 

“S-so?!” Baekhyun grumbles as he falls back down. “W-who cares if we did!?”

 

“What happened to never signing with humans, Chanyeol?” Kai chuckles.

 

“Look!” Chanyeol scoots closer to Sehun’s friend. “B-Baekhyun is pretty...pretty great for a human, so I...I offered to…”

 

“Make a contract with him,” Kai shrugs. “It’s normal. So I don’t see why you’re making a huge deal-”

 

“I like him,” Kai’s demon friend interrupts. “I signed the contract s-so I had an excuse to stay.”

 

Kai stares at him, his expression is unreadable. “You...LIKE him? A human?”

 

“Don’t even start,” Chanyeol warns. “I’m not even gonna bring up your whole WEIRD deal with Sehun!”

 

“There IS no deal!” Kai furrows his brow. “What’re you-”

 

“Us demons don’t just put people in hospitals when we’re not asked to!” The other demon snaps. “If you don’t care, why couldn’t your eyes go back to normal after you beat the out of his father?! You CARE!”

 

“No, I don’t!”

 

“What’s so bad about humans?! Huh?! Get your head out of your , Kai!” Chanyeol shouts. “Open your damn eyes!”

 

“It’s you who has their head stuck up their ing-”

 

“Stop!” Sehun suddenly snaps, slamming his cup back on the glass table in front. He didn’t leave one place of fighting just to walk into another. He stares at the two of the demons for a moment before standing and grabbing his coat. “Thanks for inviting me out, Tao,” He mutters. “Call me when you want to have breakfast before you leave for China.” After kissing Tao and saying goodbye to the rest of the humans, he doesn’t say a word to the demons as he makes his way down the stairs and quickly out of the club. He knows he should be patient but after his father, he doesn’t want to be around shouting; especially not when the argument is centered around humans and or Sehun. 

 

Sehun sighs as he pulls his coat on, preparing to make the walk back home. He sighs when he feels someone step behind him. “Kai, if you’re going to be a , just walk back…” he trails off when he turns and finds himself face to face with Kris. “Inside,” he finishes. “Oh, it’s you.”

 

“Not who you were expecting?” Kris asks flatly.

 

“Not really,” Sehun mumbles.

 

“You’re a bit young for the club, yes?” The demon glances back at the door and chuckles. “Fake ID?”

 

Sehun crosses his arms and forces himself to seem relaxed. He needs Kris to trust him. “Tao gave it to me,” He admits. “What’s up?”

 

“It’s a little harder to find you when you reek of Kai.”

 

“Hey, the guy lives in my closet,” The punk scoffs. “I kind of can’t help it.”

 

“Regardless,” Kris sniffs, looking disgusted. “I suppose you won’t have to deal with it for much longer. I have the knife you need,” He announces as he pulls out a black, ornate metal box. Finally, the demon slowly opens it to reveal it’s contents. Resting inside lies a knife; a very elegant but complex design built into the handle and blade. Words of Latin seem to be carved into the blade. Despite its grim use, it’s rather beautiful and Sehun finds himself staring at it in awe. “You need to hold onto this.”

 

“W-what?” Sehun looks up at the smirking demon. “Even with Kai living with me?”

 

“Do you have a secure place you can keep it?” Kris asks. “Where Kai would never look?”

 

“Well, he never goes through my things...so yeah.”

 

“Then take it,” Kris glances back at the club doors. “I will return from China in two months; I’ll have everything ready by then. Remember,” He pushes the box toward Sehun’s chest, “Do not...show this to Kai. Keep it safe and act as if you’ve never met me. If you need to contact me, do it before I leave.”

 

Sehun slowly takes it and stares at its metal material. “But how will I be able to...” He stops when he looks up, Kris no longer in front of him. He frowns and looks around; the demon nowhere to be seen. “Contact you?” He lets out a sigh and looks back down at the peculiar box. If Kris is lying, Kai will know what it is.

 

“There you are,” Kai sighs as he steps out. “Sehun.”

 

Deciding it’s a conversation for later, he stuffs it inside his jacket and turns. “I didn’t go far,” He sighs, crossing his arms. “Are you done?”

 

Kai frowns. “Done what?”

 

“Fighting,” Sehun glares. “Kai, I wanted to get AWAY from all of that…”

 

The demon opens his mouth to say something but slowly closes it. He just sighs and rubs his face. “You’re right.”

 

Sehun raises his brows. “I am?”

 

“Yes,” Kai sighs. “I took care of those boys and your father so you wouldn’t be surrounded by...violence.”

 

The punk smiles weakly and shrugs. “I...I um...imagine it’s going to stay violent,” He mutters. From the look on his face, Kai already knows what he’s talking about. Grabbing the punk’s arm, the demon gently and quickly leads him away from the club, toward the direction of Sehun’s home. 

 

“He visited you?” Kai whispers as they walk. 

 

“Yes,” Sehun admits quietly. “He gave me a ritual knife and told me he’d be back from China in a month.”

 

“Ritual knife? He can’t mean…”

 

It’s a short walk to Sehun’s home, making fast time when they quicken their steps. Sehun ushers Kai inside before shutting his front door. He frowns when his mother appears from down the hall. She narrows her eyes at Kai. “Sehun, I don’t...want you bringing your boyfriend here.”

 

“He’s not my boyfriend, mother,” Sehun sighs. “I told you before; he’s teaching me Latin.”

 

“But-”

 

“You already know I’m gay now,” He interrupts. “Why would I lie?”

 

“Then what’s he doing here this late?”

 

Sehun glances at the clock. “It’s only eight,” He says before pushing Kai to start walking up the stairs, sighing when his mother follows.

 

“Did you visit your father?”

 

“Why should I?” He scoffs as if she just told a joke.

 

“Because he’s your father, Sehun!”

 

He spins to face her as soon as he’s in the doorway of his bedroom. “And I’m his damn son and yet he put ME in the hospital. Where were you, huh? I’m YOUR son too and yet you never visited me,” He snaps. “And why not? Afraid dad would give you the same treatment?!”

 

His mother gasps. “Sehun! Don’t speak of him that-”

 

“He’s trash, he’s garbage,” He interrupts. “He’s dead to me and you are too now.” Without another word, he takes a step back and slams the door and locks it. He turns back to the demon, jumping at the almost apologetic expression he’s given. “What?” He asks as he pulls the box from his jacket.

 

“It’s…” Kai shakes his head, approaching when the punk sets the metal container on the bed. “It’s nothing.”

 

“Come on, tell me,” Sehun says, sitting beside it.

 

“It’s just…” The demon sighs as he runs his fingers along with the carvings. “I’m close with both my parents but more so with my mother,” He explains. “It makes me…” He lowers his voice. “I guess it makes me kind of sad to see how you all are with each other. I’m not used to it.”

 

Sehun watches as he pushes the lid open and doesn’t hesitate to pick up the knife. He grips it tightly and looks it over carefully. After squinting at it for a few moments and turning it over, he nods. “Well, if he wanted to give you a proper knife to banish a demon, this would be it,” He says, setting it back down. 

 

“Well, be careful then!” Sehun suddenly slams the lid shut. “D-don’t accidentally cut yourself or something!”

 

The demon crosses his arms and smirks. “Why? Are you worried about me?” He laughs. “Afraid I’ll get banished?”

 

The punk grabs the box tightly and quickly stands. “No, I...I don’t care if you get banished,” He lies. He gently pushes Kai out of the way before pulling the rug to the side. Kneeling, he pries open a loose floorboard; a place he keeps some of his more controversial occult things. He secures it below with his own knife that he had used to summon Kai before quickly covering it back up again; floorboard and rug both. “I forgot to ask Kris about the spell,” He realizes. “I guess I’ll just ask Tao when we have breakfast.”

 

Kai leans against a nearby wall, seeming to watch Sehun closely. “Are you going to hook up with him?”

 

“With Tao?” Sehun shakes his head. “No, this is just a friendly breakfast.”

 

“Oh? I thought you two were...a fling?”

 

The punk swallows hard, slowly sitting back on his bed. “No, I...I think that’s over.” The demon narrows his eyes in confusion. “I don’t know,” Sehun admits. “I just...things are weird right now, Kai. Demons...more demons.”

 

“But you kissed him before you left.”

 

“Just out of habit,” He admits. Sighing, he bites his lower lip. “...Do you have the ability to summon other demons?”

 

Kai raises a brow. “No, but...if you tell me which demon, I suppose I could fill in some blanks for the summon spell you use for me,” He pauses. “Though, I suggest you finish our contract first before you try to form a new one.”

 

“No,” Sehun laughs. “I...need to contact Kris.”

 

The demon glowers darkly. “What?”

 

“He can’t hurt me, right? And I need that spell…”

 

“Sehun-”

 

“Kai, I need that spell,” he interrupts. “I could ask Tao, sure. But what if he doesn’t, what then? Do you wanna be stuck here?” The demon opens his mouth to say something but nothing comes out. “I thought so. So just…” He heads over to his occult things, pulling out the box full of all the things he needs. “I have a ton of candles and a variety of them. So tell me what he likes.”

 

Kai remained silent for a moment before sighing. “Very well. Go downstairs and prepare. I will go collect the necessary things.”

 

Sehun looks up at the demon and nods. “Thanks, Kai.”

 

The demon scoffs and looks away but he can see his cheeks grow pink. Sehun smiles, thinking it’s cute to see such a strong man get a little shy. Collecting his things, he heads down to the basement to once again create a summon spell. He draws the symbol on the floor, gets the mirror, and knife for the blood. He can hear the sound of Kai reappearing behind him. “What if he takes as long as you to appear?”

 

“He won’t,” Kai assures him, setting the black candles for him. He looks up at the demon when he's handed a dead, dried up rose.

 

“Thank you, Kai,” he smiles. He shivers when their hands briefly touch but he looks away before the man can see him blush. “A dead rose, huh?” He clears his throat. “It’s kind of ironic…”

 

“How so?” He asks, watching as Sehun sets everything up. 

 

“You know….to summon you, I used red roses. And now, for your enemy, I'm using this…” 

 

“I suppose it is a bit ironic…”

 

“But wait,” Sehun frowns. “Why won’t it take him as long as you to appear?”

 

“We can resist a summon, to be honest. I didn’t because…I’m a bit weaker than Kris,” he mumbles. “I just...I’m really strong physically,” he admits sheepishly. “But demons like Chanyeol and Kris, who are on earth a lot or spend their time building up their powers. They’d be able to resist a summon.”

 

“So...Kris won’t? He asks as he lights the candles. 

 

“No, not from you,” He says.

 

“Not from me?”

 

“He thinks you’re stupid and naive, like all humans. He probably thinks he has you completely around his finger. That and you’re doing his dirty work for him. So he’ll provide you with everything you need.”

 

“Right,” Sehun nods. He shifts around uncomfortably before turning his phone off. He motions to Kai. “You have to go.”

 

“What?”

 

“I have to do this alone, Kai. Kris can’t know you’re helping me...”

 

“You want me to leave you along with that...man?” When Sehun gives him a pointed look, he lets out a long sigh. “Fine. I will hide my scent and wait in your room.” The demon crosses his arms. “Just...be careful.”

 

He smiles up at his demon. “I will, Kai.”

 

“...I don’t care if you get hurt, ok? J-just don’t die, so we can finish our contract!” He blurts before quickly heading up the stairs. Sehun scoffs and shakes his head. Such a child. Sehun rearranges himself to be sitting in the middle of his drawing, taking a deep sigh before he offers the blood. He repeats Kris’s name several times, like last time. And just like with Kai, the candles are blown out and the lights are momentarily turned off. He waits for a few moments, not realizing how fast his heart is beating. He swallows hard when a black smoke appears, as Kai predicted.

 

“Didn’t we speak earlier, Sehun?” Kris sighs. 

 

“It’s not my fault you left me with several questions,” He frowns. “And you told me to contact you and yet you left NO contact info.”

 

“Soo...how did you know how to summon me?” He asks, motioning to everything.

 

“You think this is my first time?” Sehun scoffs and stands. He groans when he hears the sound of his mother’s footsteps. A bit panicked, he quickly begins to wipe away the marking; making it look more like a white smudge. He’s able to hide the small bowl of blood before the basement door opens and he sees her slowly heading down the stairs. She jumps a little when she sees Kris. 

 

“Oh!” She gasps. She squints suspiciously. “Who is this? A boyfriend?”

 

Sehun rolls his eyes. “It’s weird. You never asked me that before when Baekhyun or Luhan came over. But suddenly, now that you know I'm gay, I'm suddenly gonna invite every guy I know?” He asks. “Oh, you’re right! I’m gonna call Kai now and we’re going to have a !” He frowns when her face grows pale. “Mom, I was kidding.”

 

“N-no,” She laughs nervously. “I-I know. Just um...Y-you’re friends with Kai?”

 

“I guess? He teaches me Latin but that’s it,” He lies, causing a small smirk to grow on Kris’ lips. “This guy is just-”


 

“I’m friends with Sehun. We have a mutual friend.”

 

Sehun slowly nods. “Yeah, Tao…”

 

“Oh, Tao! O-okay,” She clears and nods. “D-don't stay too late. Sehun, sleep early tonight.”

 

“I probably won’t, but ok.” He waits for her to leave, listening for the closing of the basement door. He turns back to Kris and glares. “Does Tao know you’re a demon?!”

 

“Of course not,” Kris hums as he takes a seat. “Now, what do you need?”

 

“I need...is there a spell to reverse a contract?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“....Okay. Could I...have it?”

 

Kris purses his lips and glances down at Sehun’s spellbook, and then at the summon paper he had given him. “Alright, I’ll give you the knowledge of it. But in exchange, I force you to forget how to summon.”

 

“No,” Sehun crosses his arms.

 

“No?”

 

“I'm already vanishing Kai for you,” He says. “Consider this spell as a repayment.”

 

The demon lets out an amused chuckle but he nods. “I like you, Sehun. You have more courage than most humans.” He stares at him for a moment before standing. “Alright, come here and I’ll transfer it to you.”

 

“And let a demon cast a spell on me? I’m good. Just right it down.”

 

“Did Kai give you protection, little human?”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “Look, Kai stays in my closet, right? I don’t trust any of you demons, so I did my own research and found a protection pendant,” He lies. If there’s one thing he’s good at, it’s lying. He’s been doing it nearly his whole life. “You think I’d ever let a demon touch me?”

 

Kris smiles. “That’s probably smart. Then, give me your spellbook.” Sehun keeps an eye on him the whole time, forcing a smile too. The demon touches the human’s hand, keeping it connected for a second. He knows the man is trying to cast something on it. Seeming to give up now, the demon pulls out a pen and begins to write. As soon as it’s done and Sehun has it back, the punk steps away. 

 

“Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome, Sehun. I quite like you,” he chuckles. “You know...I could reward you handsomely for helping me.” Sehun stares at his red, glowing eyes as he raises a hand to gently brush the punk’s cheek. “I would make those nightmares go away. You could sleep and live a little better.”

 

The punk slowly shakes his head. “No, thanks. I’m...I’m ok.”

 

“Really? I can tell that it torments you,” he raises a brow. “I could take that away. Though, you should know...a ritual to take a human’s emotional pain away, forever, it...very physical.”

 

Sehun blinks. “You mean ?” he asks bluntly, which causes Kris to laugh.

 

“Very honest and quick, Sehun.”

 

“I’m fine,” He mumbles before clutching his book close and heading for the stairs. “I’ll see you in two months.” He stops and stares at the dried blood his mom is busy cleaning up. She looks up and catches his eye. He swallows hard before heading back to his room. He should feel bad. But he doesn't. What the hell even happened? There’s blood everywhere, or almost everywhere. On the hallway wall and even more inside...the closet. What did he do?