Beaches at Sunset

Inside The Dark

 

 

“Do you go to the beach often?” Kai asks, staring out the window as Sehun drives. 

 

“No,” Sehun admits. He taps his finger against the steering wheel to the beat of the music, which is turned down low enough for them to have a conversation. “I’ve been there before but I’m a city boy, like you,” he jokes. “My parents-” the ringing of his phone interrupts him and he sighs at the caller id. “Speak of the devil,” He mumbles, rolling his eyes as he answers it. He smiles when Kai does. “Hello, mother.”

 

“S-Sehun!” His mother wails through the phone. “Your...your father…”

 

“My father what?”

 

He waits impatiently as she sniffles and speaks up. “He died, S-Sehun. A few minutes ago…”

 

Sehun takes a deep breath. He’s calm and cool. “Okay and?”

 

There’s a moment of silence. “E-excuse me?! Sehun, he’s your-”

 

“Father, I get it,” sehun interrupts. “I don’t give a , okay? I don’t CARE that he’s dead. Everything I said before? Still applies. I want to enjoy a nice day at the beach with my boyfriend- so stop calling me.”

 

“B-boyfriend?! Sehun, when-” Before she can say anything, Sehun hangs up and tosses his ontop Kai’s lap; causing him to jump. He stares at Sehun in bewilderment.

 

“Boy...friend?”

 

“I just wanted to piss my mom off,” Sehun mutters as he rolls down his window and lights a cigarette. The demon speaks up after a few seconds of silence.

 

“Your father?”

 

“Dead.”

 

“I see...because of the injuries I-”

 

“Thank you, Kai.”

 

“What?”

 

Sehun smiles over at him. “For everything. You know, my father, my bullies.”

 

Kai scoffs. “I killed your father, you know.”

 

“I know,” the punk hums as he inhales and exhales. “Thank you.”

 

The demon finally smiles as well, seeming to relax before sliding the human’s phone into his pocket. “You’re welcome…”



 

The beach today is beautiful, which is exactly what Sehun had hoped for. He wants Kai to see all the pretty things humans have to offer. He takes a red beach towel from the backseat, stuffing them into a bag.”So, what do you think?” Kai stares, seeming silent all of a sudden. The punk follows as he begins to make his way towards the shore. The demon stops, flinching when the waves draw near. “Beautiful, huh?”

 

The demon slowly nods. “Yes, I um...I agree,” he says. The punk takes out the towel and sets it down on the sand before sitting on it. He grabs onto Kai’s hand, getting him to sit; which he does. “I imagine the beaches in my world won’t be as...wonderful like this.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Well...back in my world, it’s always...I think you humans call it an eclipse?”

 

Sehun frowns. “What? That sounds amazing!”

 

“Well, the sky is always red and dark, and…” he sighs. “Well, not so bright.”

 

“Does that mean you had to get used to our skies?” He asks. “Your eyes had to adjust?” Kai slowly nods, confirming it as he stares out into the ocean. “You think this is pretty, you should see it during sunset.” 

 

“Could we?”

 

“Why not,” Sehun yawns. “It’s only three or so hours until the sun sets, so we should pass the time.” He glances at Kai for a moment before smiling. “Hey...tell me about your world. Your family, friends, what you liked doing.”

 

The demon looks back at sehun and raises a brow. “What do you want to hear about first?”

 

“Hmm...your family.”

 

“Well…” Kai scoffs. “They’re much more loving than your own; though we do have our arguments,” he begins. “They’re your typical demon family. My father is a powerful politician and my mother is a housewife. She cooks, cleans; you know, normal.”

 

“Riight...normal,” the punk laughs. “Do you have any siblings?”

 

“Only a sister,” he admits. “She’s...I suppose you’d call her the favorite.”

 

Sehun slowly nods. “You were studying to be a bounty hunter, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“And what’s that for demons?”

 

“Same thing as humans. We pursue criminal or fugitive demons in exchange for rewards.”

 

“So...how far along are you? To become one?”

 

“Only two months.”

 

Sehun laughs at that. “Four months?”

 

“What’s so funny about that?”

 

The punk shrugs. “I’m four months from graduating high school,” He muses. “You’ll...be long gone by then, huh?”

 

“Yes, I suppose so,” Kai responds quietly, now sitting in comfortable silence. A sudden feeling of loneliness hits him, causing him to shyly scoot over and grab onto the demon’s arm. When he doesn’t seem to care, Sehun rests his head on the man’s shoulder and lets out a sigh. This year has been so damn hard. But he has a feeling it’s going to get much harder in about two months. Who knows how it’s going to go with Kris? Can he act well enough to fool him? A demon? Because of his family, he’s always been a good liar. But he wonders if it will be enough this time. He should be worried but something is comforting about sitting beside this demon on the shore. His grip on the man tightens as if he doesn’t want to let go. Ever. Seriously, why did he have to fall in love with a stupid demon? Why not someone like Tao? No, why NOT Tao? That man is everything he should want. Kind, smart, hot. And yet…

 

Sehun glances up at the setting sun. Stupid demon. Stupid, handsome, and secretly kind demon. He swallows hard. “I’ll miss you, you know.”

 

“What?”

 

“Come on,” the punk sighs. “Don’t...don’t make me say it again.”

 

Kai is silent for a moment before finally speaking up. “I will...also miss you.”

 

“You will?”

 

“Someone has to correct you about the occult and I suppose I’ll miss the fried chicken here.” Sehun frowns, scowling at him. The demon gives him a lazy, playful grin. “I’m joking, Sehun.”

 

“God, you’re a jerk…” He scoffs. “So you...you’d miss me?”

 

The demon stares at the sunset now, something strange in his glowing eyes. “Yes. Yes, I think so.”

 

“You think-”

 

“Shut up and enjoy the moment,” Kai interrupts and pulls back. For a moment, Sehun is disappointed, of course, before he’s pulled close; the man’s arm tightly around him. He can feel his face grow warm, despite the cool breeze. “I...won’t have this where I’m from,” he mumbles. The punk bites his lip, hiding a smile as he lays his head on Kai’s chest; doing as he’s told and enjoying the moment. 

 

“Yeah,” He sighs. “Me neither.”

 

“Sure you do. You can come here with your friends.”

 

“It’s...it’s not the same.”

 

“How?”

 

Sehun sighs in frustration. “What do you mean ‘how’?! You…” He groans and pulls his knees up to his chest. “God, I...do I have to say it? I ENJOY spending time with you, …”

 

Kai looks at him in surprise. “You do?”

 

“If I didn't like you, why would I go to the beach with you? Or the movies and grill?” He turns his head to face Kai. “you’re such a-”

 

“You seem like you need to calm down,” The demon interrupts, giving him a raised brow.

 

“I swear, if you kiss me just because I need to relax, I will leave you here. Right on this beach and drive away,” he begins. “You can teleport your back into my closet.”

 

Kai stares at him for a moment. And from the look, it makes Sehun’s heart begin to beat faster. Orange rays from the sunset make the demon look gorgeous and, for a quick moment, human. He’s unsure what to do. He opens his mouth to speak, nothing but a small gasp manages out. When Kai leans forward, Sehun’s eyes flutter shut. The thumping of his heart quickens and he expects it to slow down But it doesn’t. If anything, as soon as their lips touch, it makes him feel warmer; so much different from the last time. When his cheeks are grabbed, he brings his hands up to grab onto Kai’s shirt and pulls him even closer. It’s one of the most perfect ones he’s ever had. Over Tao, and even over their first one. What really gets him is when he hears Kai’s gentle sigh into him. It ends quickly but slowly; the two of them slow and reluctant to separate. 

 

“We…” Kai clears his throat. “We should return. It will be night soon.”

 

Sehun laughs nervously, quickly getting to his feet. “T-thanks for coming with me.”

 

“Thanks for bringing me,” The demon laughs as well, dusting off the sand and folding the towel for him. “Shall we?”

 

“Yeah um...s-sure,” He clumsily fishes for the keys as he quickly heads for the car. It’s been a very, very strange year. Regardless, he wants to enjoy the rest of it. Especially with the demon. “Next time, I get to pick where we go.”

 

“Fair enough.”

-----------------------------------

 

Sorry for the short chapter! I'm getting back into writing