Stupid

Inside The Dark

 

The next month was quite the opposite of strange for Sehun. A nice, refreshing change from the usual show his life often is. Most of the time, he forgot Kai and Chanyeol were demons. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are open with their affections, While Sehun and Kai share strange, secret but intimate looks. The demon would often sneak into the punk’s bed and they’d share each other's bodies. They definitely do not and have not told anyone about it. If Sehun told Baekhyun, he'd tell Luhan. And the pink-haired human can’t keep his damn mouth shut. And Sehun almost completely forgot that in a month, Kris will return. Everytime someone mentions it, the punk’s mood instantly drops. So everyone seems to avoid the subject; even Kai.

 

Sehun tries to pay attention in class, but literally everything else is on his mind. Mainly a certain demon.

 

“You two seem to be getting along,” Luhan hums, leaning against Sehun’s desk after class. “So...is he your boyfriend now?”

 

“What?” The punk shakes his head. “No, we’re...just friends.”

 

“Really?” The pink haired boy smiles. “So...do you think I could go after him? I know he’s going to leave soon but come on! I think If I tried hard enough, I could get him into bed.” Jealous slides into Sehun’s veins, causing him to look away as his friend continues to speak. “I mean, look at me! How can I not be a demon’s type? Especially Kai, since he seems to-”

 

“Luhan, he doesn’t like you like that.”

 

“But how do you-”

 

“We had . Lu.”

 

Luhan widens his eyes and gasps. He grabs a chair, quickly sitting beside his friend. “Oh my god, shut up! Tell me about it!”

 

“Do you want me to shut up or tell you about it?”

 

“Sehun!”

 

Sehun sighs and looks out the window. “The is...whatever.”

 

“I’m sorry, did you just say with a demon is whatever?”

 

The punk swallows hard when he notices Kai heading to their school with Chanyeol; no doubt to pick them up. “I think I love him, Lu.”

 

There’s a moment of silence before he feels arms wrap around him. “I’m sorry,” his friend says quietly.

 

He swallows hard. “I’m a ing idiot,” he whispers. “Why couldn’t I have fallen for Tao? The worst is that he lives in China. But...but I can visit him or even go with him. Kai is a DEMON from a whole other...world…”

 

“Not to mention emotionally unavailable.”

 

This makes Sehun laugh bitterly. He can’t help but remember the way they kissed; causing him to bring his fingers to his lips. “It’s fine. I knew it was going to be like this,” Without another word, he stands up, finally packing his bags. 

 

“There’s Sehun’s foreign friend! He’s so handsome!” Some girl gushes.

 

“And Baekhyun’s boyfriend! Wow!” Another one sighs happily.

 

Sehun glances at Kai, smiling weakly at him. He admires the way his button-up shirt reveals his chest slightly; something he’s come to appreciate. “Hey.”

 

“You’re still not all packed up for the day?”

 

“No,” He blushes and grabs his bag.

 

“Here, let me hold it.”

 

Sehun glances around, feeling nervous by some of the students staring. “N-no, I got it.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Kai grabs Sehun’s bag, easily swinging it onto his shoulder. 

 

“No, is he...Sehun’s boyfriend?” Someone says.

 

“I knew Sehun was gay but he’s always been so scary and picky!”

 

The punk frowns before quickly heading out the door, not waiting for either of his friends. They catch up with him, stopping him just outside the school. “Sehun, what’s wrong?” Baekhyun asks. “Why’d you storm out like that?”

 

“I…” Sehun once again glances at Kai. “I just hate gossip.”

 

“Yeah but you seem pretty distracted lately,” Chanyeol points out.

 

“I...I’m just nervous. We’re going to have to go against Kris soon…”

 

The glow in Kai’s eyes seems to weaken for a quick moment. “It’ll be fine. Kris has been on earth for so long, his connection to magic is probably weak.”

 

“I wouldn’t be so sure,” Chanyeol sighs. “He does come from a powerful bloodline of demons. I mean, especially with who his father-”

 

“Babe, you’re not helping morale,” Baekhyun cuts him off, grabbing onto his demon boyfriend’s arm. “Maybe let’s not talk about it.”

 

Kai puts his hands on his hips and sighs. “Sehun, I’ll protect you, alright? Kris won’t hurt you.”

 

Sehun stares at him for a moment before looking away; glancing in Luhan’s direction. When the pink-haired punk catches his friend’s eye, he steps up and grabs onto his arm. “Hey, how about you two demons go explore the city together?”

 

“What?” Chanyeol frowns. “Why?”

 

“Well….” Luhan coughs. “We've been hanging around you guys this whole year. So um...go away,” he jokes.

 

Kai looks to Chanyeol, both of them shrugging. “Very well,” The demon agrees. “I’ll drop your bag off for you, Sehun. Be careful, alright?”

 

“R-right,” Sehun forces a smile. Baekhyun gives Chanyeol a kiss before the two are off; the three friends watching after them. Once they’re out of ear shot, Baekhyun steps in front of Sehun and sighs.

 

“Okay, what’s wrong with you?”

 

“What?”

 

“You love spending time with Kai, you’re practically in love with the guy.”

 

Sehun stares after Kai and slowly nods. “I am.”

 

His friend stares at him for a moment. “What?”

 

“I think I’m in love with Kai.”

 

Bakhyun groans. “Hun, you can’t.”

 

“But you love Chanyeol.”

 

“He loves humans, Sehuna. He...he actually WANTS to stay here with me,” he argues. “Sure, Kai has been pretty cool this last month or so, but has he once told you that he changed his mind?”

 

Sehun tries to look away but his friend touches his cheek, forcing their eyes to meet. “We...we’ve been physically intimate for the...past few…” he trails off. Sure, they’ve kissed while having but Kai never said he wants to stay. Or that he even loves him. 

 

“Sehun?”

 

“No,” he speaks up, crossing his arms tightly to hug himself. “He hasn’t. “I...Let’s just go home.”


 

Luhan rubs his back. “Do you wanna go get something to eat?”

 

“No,” Sehun rubs his eyes. “I’m...I’m tired.” He feels so stupid. Now, all he wants to do is just sleep. “Take me home...”



 

Sehun stares at the ceiling of his dark room. Kai had returned a few hours ago and called out to him. But the punk just pretended to be asleep. Letting out a long sigh, he sits up, feeling frustrated now. But he forces himself to calm down; otherwise Kai would feel that and he doesn’t want to deal with it. Being as quiet as he can, he pushes the covers from his legs before making his way over to his discarded pants and shirt from earlier; pulling them back on, along with his boots. He grabs his coat and opens his window and climbs out. He easily uses the tree to make it to the bottom. He instinctively reaches for the knife he always carries where a puff of black smoke appears. Realizing it’s a demon, he sighs and puts it away. It’s useless anyway. But he didn’t expect to see Kris. 

 

“Hello, Sehun.”

 

“Kris,” Sehun huffs, crossing his arms. “What’re you doing here?”

 

“I came early,” he responds, glancing up at the window. “Two weeks from tonight.”

 

“We banish Kai?” That hurts him to ask that. 

 

“Why does that upset you?”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “You’re mistaking it for nervousness.” 

 

Kris sighs. “Humans are hard to read.”

 

He puts on a fake smile. “Even to us humans,” He stares at the man, watching as he slowly walks closer. He’s, however, confused when he sniffs. "What’re you doing?”

 

“Strange,” He hums. “You smell like roses. It’s disgusting...you’ve been sleeping with Kai.”

 

Sehun swallows hard. He doesn’t like how he feels in front of this man. “It helps with the nightmares.”

 

“But no feelings for him?”

 

“It’s hard to grow feelings for a man who hates you and your entire race,” he responds, shrugging. “Kai is handsome and is good for my dreams…”

 

Kris chuckles and shrugs. “Fair enough. Do me a favor and just pretend like I’m not in town, alright?” He looks the human up and down. “You keep doing whatever it is you’re doing. Sleep with him, gain his trust; do whatever.” He does another look at the window before stepping back. Without another word, the man disappears, leaving Sehun alone in the dark. The punk swallows hard, slowly leaning against a nearby tree. 

 

“Yeah...whatever,” He leans his head back and shuts his eyes. “So stupid.”

 

“Sehun, what are you doing out here?” His mother asks, stepping out onto the porch. He groans and looks at the window. He already knows that damn closet door is opening.

 

“Sneaking out for my weekly ,” he jokes.

 

“Sehun,” His mother frowns. “Do you have to be sarcastic all the time?”

 

“I thrive on it, live off it,” He huffs. “Water? Food? Nay, I require sarcasm and my one and only savior, satan.” He rolls his eyes at her horrified expression. “I’m kidding! God.”

 

“J-just get inside!”

 

Sehun shakes his head, walking toward his mother. He glances back at where Kris had disappeared before entering the front door. Without another word to his parent, he heads up stairs and into his bedroom; locking it. He stares at the darkness of his room. “Kai?” He whispers. “Are you there?”

 

“Yes,” the demon responds.

 

The punk steps inside the closet, shutting it once inside. Kai looks up from his book before he sets it to the side. He only now notices the strange markings painted on the walls. “What’re these for?”

 

“They block out any noise, which is why I sometimes leave the closet door cracked open.”

 

“What? So you can hear me?”

 

“So I can protect you,” The demon shrugs. “What’re you doing up?”

 

Sehun slowly sits beside Kai on his loveseat, beginning to pull off his boots. “I went out for a walk but um...I only got as far as that damn tree outside.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Kris showed up.”

 

Kai frowns, watching as Sehun strips down to only his t-shirt and jeans. “Kris? He’s not supposed to show up for another month or so.”

 

“I know,” He whispers. “According to him, he’s getting impatient. So we have two weeks before we banish him and send you home.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Oh?” the punk huffs. “I thought you’d be happy.”

 

The demon slowly nods but the glow of his eyes dim a bit. “Right, yes. Of course. I’m...happy.” 

 

Sehun stares at him for a moment. “Was it so terrible here?”

 

“No,” Kai says almost immediately. “I mean, no, despite being...stuck. “

 

“It’s damn hard to read you ing demons,” He mumbles, standing up. His frustration grows higher and higher each day. “You hate humans or you don’t. You hate being here, or you don’t!” He grabs his boots and slams open the closet door. “God, can’t you make up your damn mind?!” Before he can go back to his room, he’s grabbed by his shirt, pulled back; the door shut in his face. Sehun spins around to face Kai, glaring at the demon now close in front of him. “What?!”

 

“What’s your problem today?!”

 

“I’m sick of you!” Sehun admits. “I-I’m sick of being so lop sided with you! You’re like one big...ing whiplash,” He clenches his fists. “Make up your damn mind, Kai!”

 

“My mind? I already made up my mind! I want to return to my home!”

 

“Then stop!” He snaps. The punk swallows hard, his chest tightens. “Stop it! Stop being so nice to me or...or so kind. Stop kissing me or lying with me at night, comforting me when I have my damn nightmares. Let me...let me suffer,” He whispers. Despite his words, it doesn’t feel like that’s what he wants. His hand reaches for the demon but when he notices it, he instead hugs himself. Kai takes a step closer, hovering over him like an ominous tower. 

 

“Stop feeling that way then, stop being so...sad all the time,” Kai responds, his golden eyes dull and void of their natural glow. “You suffer so much and it drives me insane.”

 

“I drive YOU insane?”

 

“Yes, you do,” Kai admits. “I can feel all of this hurt and pain inside of you and despite all of my powers, I can’t do anything for you. All I can do is...kiss you or temporarily relieve you of your dreams. What happens when I leave?”

 

Sehun swallows hard and shakes his head. “I’m not hurting that bad.”

 

“No?” When the demon sets a hand on his shoulder, his frustration already seems to lessen. “I don’t even have to be touching you to feel it, Sehun. Any demon can feel it; even Chanyeol.”

 

Sehun slowly shakes his head. “Stop.”

 

Kai frowns. “What?”

 

“Stop touching me!” He pushes past Kai, deeper into the closer. He runs his hands through his hair. “Stop doing all this stuff and making me fall for you! I can’t fall for you, I can’t!”

 

“Fall...for me?”

 

“God, Kai!” Sehun groans, his lower lip quivering. “Why are you so blind? Y-you say you can feel what I feel but you...you’re the one making me suffer!” He turns back to him.

 

“Me?!” The demon scowls. “I’m doing everything in my power to try and help you! You’re damn broken!”

 

The punk shakes his head again. “Kai, In two weeks, you’re leaving...forever. And the thought of that makes me want to rip my ing heart out and I’ve felt like this for months and you never noticed!”

 

Kai stares at him before slowly walking up to him. “Explain something to me.”

 

“W-what?”

 

“I’ve only known you for some months but I know everything about you. I’ve seen all of your dreams, desires, nightmares; your likes, loves, dislikes, hates, aspirations, motivations,” He pauses. “Your suffering, your pain. I’ve experienced your confusing happiness, anger. The hatred you had for your father and those bullies, our ual intimacy.”

 

Sehun crosses his arms. “What’s your point?” He shifts uncomfortably the closer Kai gets.

 

“This feeling you have for me, I don’t know what to call it. It’s complex, confusing, I can’t explain it. It’s sad, angry, happy all at the same time. What was more confusing is everytime you look at me, this feeling would return. Often, while you sleep, I would think thoroughly about this emotion. Perhaps you were nervous or giddy about the upcoming task,” he continues. “I just thought, ‘he must be excited that I’ll be leaving soon and his life will return to being relatively normal’.”

 

“Relatively normal my ,” He scoffs. “Even when you leave, I’ll have traces of you everywhere.”

 

Kai swallows hard now as well, putting a hand on Sehun’s cheek. The punk tries not to cry at the look in his eyes. “I feel myself inside you but not in a physical way. When I don’t see you, I grow anxious and worried but all of that disappears when you’re near. My heart beats fast, I get nervous, flustered, warm...” With his free hand, he grips the human’s arm tightly. “Explain to me! Sehun, what is this?”

 

Sehun leans against a wall, letting out a shaky breath. He grabs onto Kai’s shirt tightly, not wanting to let go. “One of the worst things that can happen to someone,” He admits. “Love.”

 

“Love?”

 

The punk smacks his head against the wall and lets out a dramatic groan. “Love. The same you see between Chanyeol and Baekhyun.”

 

“Tao and...you?”

 

“No, idiot!” Sehun stomps his foot. “That sad, confusing, happy feel we have? It’s called love and it ing…..”

 

“Love? Don’t be ridiculous, I would never-”

 

“Fall for a human,” the punk rolls his eyes. “You feel everything I feel, don’t you? All those damn feelings I have that disappear when you’re not around? You feel them too, don’t you? Flustered, nervous- I’m…” he rubs his face. “We can deal with this. All we have to do is just...avoid each other until the two weeks are up.” He’s confused when the glow of his eyes return slightly; just a flicker. When Kai presses into him, he frowns. “K-Kai, are you listening?”

 

“Yes,” the demon mumbles. “This feeling, Sehun, It’s…” he presses his head against Sehun’s; seeming hesitant. “Hard to resist.”

 

“I know,” He whispers.” But we should. We can’t...you’re leaving in two weeks.”

 

The demon furrows his brows. “I don’t suppose we could indulge ourselves for...the remaining two weeks.”

 

Sehun’s heart beat faster, raising his head; his lips close to Kai’s. “It’ll just make it harder, though. I thought you hated...humans? I thought you couldn’t fall for us?”

 

“I don’t know,” he says. “Shut up, Sehun. Just...let me think...for a moment.” The words he says almost sound like a command. And Sehun, for some reason, follows them. He closes his eyes, feeling a relief as he’s kissed. It’s slow, careful. And it stays that way until arms wrap around his waist, pulling him closer; deeping the sudden kiss. Their tongues greet each other like they have for the last past month or so but it feels different this time, so much more right. Like they’re not breaking any laws or have no lingering guilt.  Sehun wraps his own arms around Kai’s neck, tilting his head and starting to kiss the demon with more eagerness. He knows this will hurt. Of course he knows that. But being so close to Kai and his warmth, he can’t find it in himself to care. All he wants right now is this man. This damn demon. This damned demon and his damned human. 

 

Kai easily brings Sehun where he wants; the human’s back on the couch and the demon on top. After a moment of this, the punk has to pull back; gasping for air; panting now. “This...this is stupid. Really, really stupid.”

 

“Yeah,” Kai sighs, looking around. “It is.”

 

“Kai, if you think this hurts now, wait until you leave. Think about it a-and ask yourself if this- if I’m still worth it.”

 

The demon stares down at the punk for what feels like eternity. “And if I say no?”

 

That makes his heart drop and his chest tighten. His stomach sinks. He forces a smile, despite his fighting oncoming tears from the overwhelming sudden emotions from all sorts of places. “Then...I suggest you...find somewhere else to stay until you leave…”

 

Kai slowly smirks. “You’d kick me out?”

 

“Yes, I’d have to. You’d have to.”

 

“Oh? And why?”

 

“You said you don’t want to hurt me,” He points out. “Or you want to help me. This’ll hurt me, Kai. Badly.”

 

“And yet you want to chance it with me? You...want to spend these last days like this?”

 

“Even though it’s going to absolutely ing kill me when you leave?” Sehun laughs dryly. “You’re so hot, so maybe.”

 

Kai glares at him. “Just because I’m hot?”

 

As an attempt to stop the tears from coming, he shrugs. “Yup. You’re hot with zero redeeming personality traits and all i want to do is sleep with you.”

 

The demon frowns but sighs when noticing the small smile growing on the human below him. “Why do you humans joke when they’re in pain? Is that some sort of defense?”

 

“Emotionally, yes,” He admits. 

 

“You did the same thing in the hospital.”

 

“I sure did.”

 

“Humans are strange…” Kai sighs with frustration, rearranging their bodies so they both lie comfortably on the loveseat. Sehun rests his head on his chest, surprised to hear it beat so fast. It makes him smile. Even demons can get that way.

 

“Trust me,” He sighs. “We’re very strange, even to each other.”

 

“Yes," The demon laughs weakly. "I’ve noticed.”