Good Friends

Inside The Dark

 

“Dad, please!” Sehun screams. He pounds on the door, tears flowing from his eyes. The darkness feels like it’s strangling him, choking him. He widens his eyes as he feels the panic set in. “Open the door, I’m sorry!” More pounding, he shakes all over and he sweats. “Dad!”

 

“Human!” Someone shakes him. “Human, wake up!” 

 

Sehun pants heavily as he opens his eyes and shakes his head; his hands grip someone’s arms tightly. Tears stream from his eyes as they dart around wildly; images of his dream still vivid. “It’s dark! Too dark!” He cries out. When golden eyes look back down at him, he slowly comes back. “I…” Sehun his dry lips, trying to wipe the sweat from his face. “I’m s-sorry,” His voice trembles. 

 

Kai’s expression turns confused and a bit irritated. He lets go of Sehun and backs up, crossing his arms as the boy reaches for some water placed at his nightstand. “I heard you screaming and thought you might have been in danger.

 

“No,” Sehun croaks. “No...I’m fine.”

 

“Physically, perhaps,” Kai scoffs. “Your mental state is debatable.” Sehun scoffs and squints, looking at the light shining through his dark curtains. There’s a short silence before the demon speaks up. “What were you dreaming of?”

 

“The past,” Sehun admits quietly before pushing his damp blankets off. When he looks at the time, he sighs. “Let’s go. We should meet with Baek and Lu.” He tries to ignore the intense stare he’s given.

 

“Why do you fear your father? What did he do?”

 

“...Stay here while I shower.” He says nothing else as he grabs a towel. He quickly heads out into the hallway, stopping briefly when he sees his father coming up the stairs. “F-father,” He whispers and a slight nod before shuffling over to the bathroom and hastily locking the door behind him. He freezes, keeping his back up against the door. He closes his eyes; images and sounds of his dream still vivid in his mind. He knows, deep down, he really is terrified of his father.



 

Sehun stares at the white porcelain the shower wall. Memories come back to him of being locked in that closet. He was in there for hours, crying and begging until his voice became hoarse. He shakes his head and pushes the past from his head. He blinks a few times and pushes his hair back before shutting the water off. He pushes the glass door open and takes a step out. “Your family loves their riches, don’t they?”

 

Sehun jumps at the sudden noise. He gasps and glares at Kai. “Kai! What the hell are you doing?!” He quickly grabs a towel but not before the demon is able to get a good look.

 

“I waited in your room for half an hour. When you did not return, I suspected the worse. Especially with your earlier behavior.”

 

Sehun rolls his eyes. “You’re a freak, you know that?”

 

The demon slowly grins wolfishly. “Right. I’M the freak,” He says, reaching over to flick one of Sehun’s rings. 

 

The punk lets out a small squeal and covers up. “D-don’t do that!”

 

Kai eyes him again, that smug look still on his face. “Nice tattoos too.” He chuckles before he disappears into a cloud of black smoke. Sehun stands there for a moment, closing his eyes. He lets out a soft groan and covers his face in embarrassment. Only two people knew about his secret piercings and tattoos; Baekhyun and Luhan. And now, the demon he accidentally summoned does too. 



 

“Listen, Kai,” Sehun says as he enters the room. “My parents can’t know about either of these things. My tattoos, my piercings.”

 

“Yes, because I have constant conversations with your so-called parents.”

 

“So-called parents?” He frowns as he tosses his towel on the back of his chair. “What’s that supposed to mean? You don’t think they’re actually my parents?”

 

“No, that’s not what I meant,” Kai replies. “I don’t think they’re very good ones,” he admits. “They’re gone all the time and they always fight,” He stops and slowly stands up from Sehun’s bed. “Sehun, are they abusive?”

 

Sehun ignores his question as he goes to the closet to get dressed. “I already have plans to meet up with them at our favorite cafe,” He says. Once he’s dressed. He grabs his phone to text his friends. “They won’t care if I bring you.”

 

“Human-”

 

“You should change,” Sehun interrupts. “You can’t walk around in that suit all the time.” He inhales sharply and flinches when he feels a hand on his shoulder. He subconsciously shrinks away from the sudden touch. He swallows hard at the look the demon gives him. “I’m...sorry,” He whispers. “You could borrow some of my clothes if you want.”

 

“It’s fine, I got it,” Kai replies, watching as he heads for the door. 

 

“Meet me outside?”

 

“Fine.”

 

He gives the demon a quick nod before leaving. He really is excited that summoning a real-life demon worked. He just hates that he has to see all this pathetic stuff. Sehun decides as he walks down the stairs, to try and be nicer to the guy. He was pulled from his home and into a  whole new place. Sehun supposes he’s allowed to be a little angry. He’s able to slip by undetected by his parents and out the front door. He gives the demon a smile, glad to see him in changed clothes. He doesn’t recognize it as his own clothes, so he assumes he was able to change with magic; or whatever demons use. Instead of his red suit, he’s now in a button down shirt, tight slacks, open fitted blazer, and dress shoes. Instead of being head to toe in all red, he’s now in all black. He tries to ignore how the man has his tan chest slightly revealed. “Hey, look,” He begins to say as they start walking. “I’m...sorry for being so rude. I know you got taken from your home and all...”

 

“You know...your reaction to me is different”

 

“What?” Sehun raises a brow “How so?”

 

“You seem strangely accepting, considering,” Kai explains. “Not like other pathetic humans most of us demons get. As soon as we appear, humans start to plead for their ing lives. Oh, please don’t kill me!” He mocks, pretending to whine. “It was an accident summoning you, I swear!” Sehun stifles a laugh at that. If anything, he felt both shocked and excited when he found out it worked. If that worked, what else works? “Why did you even summon me, though?”

 

“It’s…” Sehun sighs as they make their way to the meet-up spot. “I just summoned you to...I don’t know, scare some -heads that keep bothering me,” He admits. “But...it doesn’t matter anymore.”

 

“Is that where your bruises come from?”

 

Sehun opens his mouth to change the subject but sighs. He knows the demon deserves answers. “Yeah, I guess.”

 

Kai is quiet for a moment. “They still do it?” That’s when Sehun decides it’s better to stop talking. He stops at the cafe door and holds it open, allowing the demon to go first.

 

“They should be at the back booth; that’s where we always sit.” Seeming to drop the subject, Kai gives him a slow nod and steps in. Sehun leads him to the back, smiling when his friends wave frantically at him. “Hey, sorry I bailed yesterday.”

 

“You always have permission to pass if it’s with a hottie like this, Hun,” Luhan giggles.

 

“Luhan, please,” Sehun cringes.

 

“Very forward,” Kai huffs, sliding in the booth after the punk. “Don’t worry, I’m used to it back home.”

 

Baekyun raises a brow. “People are that honest in Busan?”

 

Sehun glances at Kai. “That’s...the thing,” He begins. “He’s uh...not from Busan.”

 

“Shocking.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“So what’s with this guy, Sehun? Seriously?”

 

Sehun takes a deep breath and slowly nods. He clears his throat and rubs his wrist. “The...uhh, spell…”

 

“Yes…?”

 

“It actually...worked.”

 

Luhan and Baekhyun both stare at him. “Really?” His pink-haired friend speaks up. “You really summoned a demon?” When The punk goes quiet they both slowly look over to Kai and stare at him. By their wide eyes, he knows they saw something. Sehun sighs and glances over, unsurprised to see his glowing golden eyes. 

 

“This...is Kai,” He mutters. “The uh, demon I summoned.”

 

The two boys continue to stare, seemingly speechless. They slowly grin. “We knew it!”

 

Sehun furrows his brows. “What?”

 

“We knew something was up!” Luhan exclaims. “You were acting all weird!”

 

“Yeah, and you tell us everything! You would have told us if you got someone to teach you Latin! You were looking for a teacher since freshman year,” Baekhyun goes on. 

 

“It appears they know you too well,” Kai comments. “I suspect it wouldn’t have mattered, no matter how good the lie.”

 

“So, you’re really a demon?” Luhan asks in awe. He looks at Baekhyun when the demon slowly nods. “I owe you ten bucks.”

 

“You guys bet?!”

 

Baekhyun shrugs. “I knew that if anyone were to summon a demon, it’d be you.”

 

“That’s so weird but really sweet…”

 

Kai’s eyes go back to black when a waitress suddenly appears. She looks at him oddly for a moment but shakes her head; probably assuming she was imagining things. She clears as she sets their things down. “Do you two want anything?”

 

“I doubt you disgusting humans serve anything  I like,” Kai scoffs harshly.

 

“P-pardon?”

 

Sehun laughs uncomfortably. “That’s...that’s hilarious,” He leans down, harshly pinching Kai’s thigh and causing him to growl. “He’s just kidding. We’ll both take a coffee, black, decaf.”

 

‘Right,” the woman smiles and nods, walking off. 

 

Sehun sighs and glares at Kai. “Kai, you can’t just say that !”

 

“How...how dare you pinch me! I’m much more powerful than you and-”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” The punk waves his hand. “Save it for when other weak little humans aren’t around. Kai, we’re going to have a big talk later.

 

“I don’t understand how talking can get big. You mean shouting, don’t you?”

 

“See what I deal with?” Sehun wines to his friends; both wearing amused expression. “Laugh it up but I’m stuck with this guy until I find a way to return him.”

 

“What? You mean you didn’t save the receipt?” Baekhyun smirks.

 

“I hate you so much,” The punk groans. “I accidentally summon a demon that hates my guts and you both mock me.”

 

“I don’t hate you,” Kai sighs, glaring at the waitress when she sets their coffee down. She nervously averts her gaze, the demon’s stare seemingly too intense. “I’m just...disgruntled,” He waits until the woman is gone. “That such a weak child summoned me.”

 

Sehun groans but instead of replying, he takes a sip of his coffee. “Any of you two wanna take him?”

 

“They can’t,” Kai frowns. “We’re bound, remember? We’re carved into each other.”

 

Baekhyun and Luhan slowly look from Kai to Sehun. He stares back at him, unsure what to say. He lets out a soft groan when the demon pulls his button-up shirt to show Sehun’s name carved into his collarbone. “Oh...my god,” Luhan giggles. He grabs onto Baekhyun’s arm tightly. “Could I touch it?”

 

“Luhan!” Sehun frowns.

 

“No,” Kai frowns as well. “A contract signature is sacred. No one but Sehun or myself may touch it.”

 

“Why would I ever touch it, Kai?” Sehun groans. He raises a brown when Kai suddenly sits up straight. The three boys watch him in shock as his eyes go all black, even his scleras. “That’s...that’s kind of freaky.” They all jump a bit when his eyes suddenly glow back to gold and then to their regular disguise.

 

“We have to go,” Kai mutters as he gets up, pulling Sehun with him.

 

“Ow, ow,” Sehun grimaces at the demon’s rough grip. Luhan and Baekhyun look confused but quickly follow the two out the door and towards a nearby alley. “What’s your deal?!”

 

“There’s another demon nearby, I need to bring you somewhere safe,” Kai stops but doesn’t let go of the human. “Forget it- it’s too late.”

 

Sehun furrows his brows. “What are you-” He lets out a gasp when a sudden cloud of black smoke appears in front of them; a few feet away. Kai pushes Sehun behind him, protectively. “K-Kai, what...what is that?”

 

“A demon,” Kai brings his hands up and Sehun watches as a mysterious flame appears in them. “Be prepared to run.”

 

“Okay…”

 

They all watch as the smoke forms, slowly pacing around the alley; almost as if it’s looking for something. But it seems to suddenly stop when it’s close. When the fiery smoke vanishes, a tall man stands within, panting as if he had just run a marathon. His hair is short, black, and messy in a fashionable. Unlike Kai’s golden eyes, this man’s are an icy blue. He also wears a dark blue suit; he doesn’t have a shirt underneath but his fitted blazer is buttoned, revealing some of his chest as well.

 

“Um...more...more demons?” Baekhyun asks, causing the man to look over at him quickly. When he looks at Sehun’s friend, his eyes seem to become slightly less panicked and soften. He stares at Baekhyun for a moment, almost mesmerized. While his best friend isn’t exactly Sehun’s type, his attractiveness is obvious. His hair is short and dyed silver and just like his two friends, he’s always in eyeliner, a choker, leather jackets, and boots. But unlike them, he always wears very subtle eyeshadow around his eyes. 

 

“Chanyeol?” Kai asks in confusion. He shuts his hands, extinguishing his magic. “What the hell are you doing here?”

 

“Kai!” Chanyeol lets out a sigh of relief and puts a hand on his demon friend’s shoulder. “I found you, good!”

 

“Yeah, but why are you looking for me?”

 

“Well uhh…” Chanyeol glances around. “We have a small problem...Kris may or may not be super pissed at you and is totally finding a way to come and get revenge.”

 

“Kris?” Kai scoffs and crosses his arms. “You think I’m scared of that man?

 

“I think maybe you should be,” The man says. “He’s...uh, been on earth for several months.”

 

Kai narrows his eyes. “Excuse me?”

 

“He’s been on earth, plotting against you,” Chanyeol says. He grabs some photos from his suit and hands them to Kai. “Xiumin and Chen were able to take photos of him without being seen.”

 

Sehun gasps when he sees them, quickly grabbing them from his demon. “No way! THIS guy is a demon?!” He frowns at the familiar tall man.

 

“You know him?” Chanyeol asks and the human nods.

 

“I met this guy briefly,” He admits. “He’s the one that gave me the paper to summon Kai.”

 

“What?!” Kai glares. “He gave you that spellbook?!”

 

“No,” Sehun shakes his head. “I mentioned to a friend in China that I was researching demons to summon. My friend, Tao, called a few days later and told me a man contacted him with a good, loyal demon…”

 

“And he gave you Kai?” Chanyeol laughs. “Loyal demon?! That’s a joke, right?”

 

Kai glares at his demon friend before grabbing the photos. “I get it...he gave Sehun the spell to summon me, in hopes it would bring me here…”

 

“Chanyeol, right?” Baekhyun finally speaks up, taking a step forward.

 

Chanyeol smiles down at Sehun’s friend. “Oh, hello. Y-yeah, that’s me! It’s uh...nice to meet you.” Sehun raises a brow at the soft pink glow that forms around the demon’s cheeks. “How can I help you? Are you uh...look for a nice, loyal demon to sign a contract with? I don’t usually sign stuff with humans b-but I might, for you.”

 

Baekhyun stares at him oddly for a moment. “No...I don’t think so,” He smiles a little. “We’re trying to find a way to send Kai back. Can’t he just go back with you?”

 

“No,” Chanyeol responds, suddenly turning serious. “I’m sorry but a demon who signed a contract with a human has to stay in the same realm as that human.”

 

“Right,” Luhan sighs. “So we actually have to find the spell to send him back.”

 

“Yeah or you can get the unbind spell,” Chanyeol explains. “Kai wouldn’t know this, because he barely signs contracts.”

 

“So, how do you know this? You said you don’t sign much either.”

 

“Well, UNLIKE Kai,” The new demon gives Kai a pointed look. “I actually studied and learned this stuff.”

 

Kai crosses his arms. “I hate humans, why would I sign with one?”

 

Sehun glances at the demon and sighs softly. “Let’s find this damn spell fast then,” He mutters, turning to leave. “You know where I live, Kai.” He doesn’t look back as he finds his way out of the alley and starts to make his way down the street. He sighs when Luhan and Baekhyun quickly find their spots beside him. “I get that he’s angry about being summoned but he doesn't have to be such a !” He complains, linking arms with his friends. “Why couldn’t I haven’t gotten Chanyeol?!”

 

“Look, Sehun,” Baekhyun begins. “Why not make the most of it while he’s here?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Try to get along with him, you know?” 

 

“He’s right,” Luhan points out. “Kai probably has a really bad history with humans. You have to show him that we’re not all bad.”

 

“He’s leaving anyway, why should I?”

 

“Because you’re a nice person!”

 

“I’m gonna need more reason that, pinky.”

 

Baekhyun scoffs. “How about it’ll help him grow as a person? And maybe help the next human that accidentally summons him?”

 

Sehun looks at his feet as he thinks about it, finally groaning. “Damn it! You’re right. I hate that so much.”

 

“You’re welcome!” Luhan hums, hugging Sehun’s right arm. 

 

“Wait a minute,” Baekhyun frowns. “Where the hell is Kai even staying?”

 

Sehun goes quiet for a moment. “My closet,” He says under his breath.

 

“Your...what?”

 

“My...my closet...”

 

Luhan and Baekhyun both go quiet. “You keep a demon in your closet?” Luhan whispers.

 

“What else was I supposed to do?!” Sehun complains. “He talked about having to protect me until I can return him and how he wouldn't leave! So he just decided to stay in my ing closet! A-and it’s better to have the guy nearby so I can keep an eye on him.”

 

The three boys shriek when two puffs of black smoke appear in front of them. Kai stares at Sehun, his eyes glowing and irritated. “Sehun.”

 

“Jesus!” Sehun groans. “Do you hate walking or something?”

 

“No,” Kai crosses his arms.

 

Sehun rolls his eyes but he stops when he catches Baekhyun and Luhan staring at him. He shakes his head and lets out a sigh of frustration. “Alright, let’s go.”

 

“What? Go where?” The demon frowns. He shrinks away from Sehun’s touch, seeming irritated when the punk pulls him over by his wrist. 

 

“I’m gonna show you something?”

 

“Show me what?!”

 

“Why earth kicks .”

------------------------------

Get you guys some friends that won't be surprised when you summon a hot demon

 

Really? did you HAVE to summon a demon, Sehun?