Preparation

Inside The Dark

 

Sehun tries to do as Kai tells him and to just enjoy the two weeks they have left, ignoring the overwhelming heartbreak he feels all the damn time. The demon also gives him some tips, when they finally go against Kris. Try to control his feelings, make eye-contact. Chanyeol also agreed to wait in the house, in case they need him for back-up. The more they talk about Kris and his abilities, the more nervous the punk gets. And he doesn’t say it, but it’s obvious Kai is too.

 

“Well,” Sehun speaks up during their walk back home from school. “It’s the weekend. So, Is there anything you wanna see before you go?”

 

Kai keeps his hands stuffed inside his pockets and seems to take a moment. “The last time we went to a club, I kind of ruined it,” he admits. “I’d like to try another outing, with Baekhyun and the others.”

 

Sehun grins. “Sure. You still got your fake ID Tao made you?”

 

“Of course,” He chuckles. “I’m holding onto Chanyeol’s as well.”

 

“Why?” The punk asks, unlocking the front door and stepping in. His mother glances at them but instead of speaking, she shuffles into the kitchen. Sehun shakes his head before making his way up the stairs.

 

“He has a long history of losing things.”

 

‘Oh, he does?” Sehun smiles. Excited to maybe have a good time at the club for once, he quickly strips out of his school uniform. He changes into black t-shirt, paired with a black, leather jacket and matching tight pants. Kai watches him as he pulls on his combat boots. He looks up at the demon but he had already magically changed into one of his many suits; but it’s more casual this time, better for a nightclub. The punk begins to redo his eyeliner now. 

 

“Very much so,” Kai says, leaning against a nearby wall. “Mostly because he likes to change out outfits so much.”

 

“Yeah, I noticed he’s more casual than the rest of you.”

 

“He’s always been like that.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

As soon as Sehun’s done, he grabs his fake ID from inside his drawer and sets it in his  wallet. He jumps a little when the demon gently runs his fingers along Sehun’s pales one. He frowns and looks at the man. “What is it?”

 

Kai pulls his hand back quickly and shakes his head. “Nothing...you should call your friends. Chanyeol will no doubt be with Baekhyun.”

 

“That demon is like a puppy,” He scoffs as he takes his phone and dials. “Hey, Baek.”



 

“God, it feels so awesome to use our IDs,” Luhan sighs happily, practically falling onto a couch; the same area they had gone to before. “We’re so close to graduating, guuuuys!”

 

Baekhyun sits beside him, pulling Chanyeol down as well. Sehun sits on the other side of Luhan as Kai takes the spot close beside the punk. “Do you know what you wanna do for a job?” Baekhyun asks.

 

“No,” Luhan whines. “I’ll just...I don’t know, work at a cafe unti I figure it out or something. What about you, Sehuna?”

 

The punk looks up from his drink and shrugs as he grips the straw to his margarita. “Me? I…” he sighs. He didn’t have the chance to think about it due to all of this demon stuff. “College, preferably. Maybe I’d get a part-time job too.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“I don’t know,” Sehun likes how close Kai’s leg is pressed against his own crossed ones. He finds it comforting, even. When the demon raises his arms to rest  along the back of the couch, the punk slowly leans into his chest. “Maybe a book shop?” When Kai doesn’t move and no one notices, Sehun decides to stay put. It’s warm and nice; able to smell his scent of fresh roses and light smoke. “There’s a place I really like near the apartments we’re looking at.” He swallows hard when the demon begins to fiddle with the epaulette of his jacket. “It’s um...where I got all of my occult books from.”

 

“That’s so you,” Luhan agreed, nodding enthusiastically. He stops focusing on the conversation when the two other boys begin to speak just with each other’ leaving Sehun in peace. So close to the demon with music pounding around them. He sighs and rests his head against Kai’s chest.

 

“Do you dance?” The demon whispers in his ear.

 

“What?” Sehun furrows his brows, looking up at him. “Dancing?”

 

“Yeah,” Kai shrugs. “You human dance, right?” He motions to the people down stairs.

 

“Y-yeah, well no, not me,” he stutters. He glances at his friends as he’s pulled to his feet; neither of them seeming to care or notice. “W-wait.”

 

Kai takes Sehun by the hand, slowly leading him down the stairs now. “Back in my home, we dance a lot.” He pauses and looks around. “But not quite like this.” He nervously looks around as he’s led into the crowd of grinding people. Before he can argue more, Kai sets a hand lightly on Sehun’s shoulder blade. He takes the punk’s hand, rearranging his arm so it’s on Kai’s right shoulder. With their free hands, Kai grips it in his own.

 

“Kai, this is-”

 

“A slow dance,” Kai finishes for him. “Yes and what’s your point?”

 

“We’re at...we’re at a club,” He huffs, glancing around nervously. But no one seems to pay them any attention at all. Kai easily leads him into the dance, strange and slow but he seems so good at it. Sehun has helped Luhan and Baekhyun practice these kinds of dances, of course. But he’s not sure how comfortable he feels doing it infront of people.

 

“I still don’t see your point.” Sehun glances up into Kai’s eyes, feeling nervous now. He can feel his heart begin to beat faster. “Just...relax. Enjoy yourself.”

 

“Enjoy myself, huh?” He huffs. He feels so stupid and ridculous. Biting his lower, Sehun grips onto Kai’s shoulder. “This is strange.”

 

“I don’t see why,” He says, looking at the other humans around them. “This is more...intimate, jimmy opinion.”

 

“Are you sure?” Sehun snorts, watching a woman practically grind up against a man’s crotch. He’s taken aback when he’s pulled closer, his own body against the demon’s. He can feel his cheek heat up and his heart beat faster than before.

 

“Yes,” he whispers. “I’m sure.”

 

Sehun stares up into his dark eyes. They’re glowing brighter than he’s seen before and it makes him ache. He smiles weakly before resting his head on the demon’s shoulder. He lets out a sigh and closes his eyes. Slow dancing in the middle of a club,  loud, bouncing music playing around them. It’s very strange to say the least. But, somehow, he prefers this to usual dancing and he didn't even know it until now. He can feel Kai bury his face in Sehun’s hair. Everyone around them disappears and they’re the only ones left. Holding onto each other and moving together perfectly. There’s something overwhelmingly innocent about it, something he’s not entirely used to. It’s, for some reason, makes his heart ache. The punk hasn’t ever been this close to someone before. He’s been close to Zitao, of course. But only physically. and dirty dancing. Sehun swallows hard and once again looks up; meeting Kai’s gaze. “Kai.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I…” He swallows hard and forces another smile. “Thank you.”

 

“For what?”

 

“Just…” He sighs and shakes his head. “I don’t know…”

 

“Then...” Kai leans so close, their noses touch. He lets out a shaky sigh before pressing their foreheads together. “...You’re welcome.” 



 

“You two got cozy last night,” Baekhyun says, setting a book down on Sehun’s bedroom floor. Luhan had taken over Sehun’s bed with his own textbooks. Kai and Chanyeol had gone out to get the objects they needed for the ritual.

 

“What?” Sehun looks up from his notebook.

 

“Kai and you,” Luhan giggles. “You two were all snuggly on the couch all night. You guys even disappeared for a bit.”

 

Sehun shakes his head, looking back down at his notes. “Let’s...just get back to work; we graduate in two months.”

 

“All work and no play makes Sehun a dullllll boy,” Baekhyun clicks his tongue. “So, where’d you two go, huh? in the bathroom?”

 

“ in the bathroom is the best!” Luhan gasps, “Take a few shots, you’re all tipsy and everything’s messy. But it’s the BEST.”

 

“Oh, or maybe you guys-”

 

“We danced,” He interupts. 

 

“You...you danced?” Baekhyun grins. “Like uh...y, sweaty, and stupid hot?”

 

“Slow,” He whispers. “Slow, sweet...perfect.”

 

Luhan raises a brow, “You guys slow danced? At a club?”

 

“Hey, I thought it was weird too, at first. But...we were just...dancing together, in the middle of a crowd. He was holding me so close that I could hear his heartbeat,” he explains. “I don’t know how to explain it; but it was perfect.”

 

“You guys slow danced for, like, two hours?”

 

“Was it that long?” he whispers, tapping his book with his pen. He slowly smiles as he remembers it. They shared a bed last night but not . I just held him and Sehun lied there, listening to his heartbeat. The punks sighs and falls back onto the floor. He groans and rolls onto his stomach. “Stupiiidddddddd.”

 

“That you’re falling in love with a demon who is going to leave in a week and never come back? I agree.”

 

“Love?” Sehun once again rolls over and stares at the ceiling. He puts his hand over his heart and swallows hard. “Do I love him?”

 

“Do you...find it hard to stop staring at him?”

 

“Well, yeah but-”

 

“Are you constantly thinking of him.”

 

“How can I not?”

 

“All you want is for him to be happy?”

 

Sehun swallows hard but he nods. “More than anything.”

 

“Even if it means he leaves? And goes back home?” Luhan asks

 

“Yes,” Sehun whispers. He quickly sits and stands when two bolts of smoke appear; Kai and Chanyeol stepping out from inside. Kai sets a bag on Sehun’s desk.

 

“Everything we need for the banishing spell,” Chanyeol announces. “Sehun, you’ll cast this nice little spell.”

 

“Nice?”

 

“This...spell! Um...you’ll have to cut yourself a little for both banishing big bad and ending your contract with Kai.”

 

Sehun doesn’t look at Kai when the hyper demon says that. He keeps his eyes on the ingredients; looking through them. “Cinnamon?”

 

“Oh,” chanyeol laughs nervously, taking it from him. “That’s mine. I really like it and Baek ran out.”

 

Sehun laughs and shakes his head. “Dead roses? Won’t Kris notice?”

 

“I’ll distract him,” Kai says. “When the day comes, Kris will fight me and try to use his magic to knock me out. But I’m going to give Chanyeol and myself tattoos to ward it off. BUT, I will pretend to be unconscious; he’ll tie me up with these specially made ropes,” he continues. “Back home, we use these ropes to stop demons from using their magic. But since I will ward off his magic, it won’t dull my strength.”

 

“What about YOUR magic? Will the ropes stop you even though you have the tattoos?”

 

“Yes,” The demon says. “Come, I want to act it out first.” Everyone nods before the students all put their things away and then make their way down the stairs. Once inside the basement, Kai motions for Baekhyun to sit at the far end of the room. “He will have me lie here.”

 

“How do you know?” Sehun asks, watching as Baekhyun lies down.

 

The demon stands to the side. “It’s the only spot that makes sense, since it’s the only place that would allow him to see me.”

 

Chanyeol stands on the stairs. “I’ll be waiting in this closet, the one below the stairs.”

 

“Closet of evil,” Sehun scoffs. He kneels in front of where he had kneeled at the very beginning’ when he summoned Kai. That seems like such a life-time ago. “Okay. So...I’ll be here,” he frowns. “But I won’t be able to see Kris.”

 

“It’s okay, I'll keep an eye out for you,” Kai says. “If I, for some reason, can’t escape; Chanyeol will be here to help you. If you start to panic or believe you’re in danger, use...I don’t know, a phrase.”

 

“You mean a safe word,” Luhan giggles.

 

“Yes…”

 

“What about…” Chanyeol purses his lips. “Cinnamon?”

 

Baekhyun smiles. “Cinnamon?”

 

“Yeah, Sehun could say something like, ‘I forgot to get cinnamon’.”

 

“Strange but effective,” Kai agrees. “Did you get that, Sehun?”

 

Sehun laughs. “That’s kind of weird but it works. If anything, it’d confuse Kris.” He looks around the basement for a moment before closing his eyes and lets out a slow, shaky breath. It all started here. Everything. The smell of roses, the blackout. The disappointment when it didn’t work and the excitement when it did. 

 

Sehun’s not sure he’s ready for this. Not at all.