Horror and Grilled Meat

Inside The Dark

 

Sehun rests his cheek on his hand, staring blankly as he slowly rips the pages from his notebook. He subconsciously subs his neck, where he had been bitten. It’s hard to focus when all he thinks about is the previous night, how the demon looked sweaty and in red light. The punk barely registers when the bell rings, his movements slow as he stands. He tosses the ripped papers into the trash before grabbing his bag and heading out. “What’s up with you?” Luhan asks as his two friends quickly catch up with him.

 

“What?”

 

“We’ve been calling for you ever since class ended,” Baekhyun speaks up. “You barely even glanced at us.”

 

“Sorry,” Sehun mumbles. “I’m just thinking about this ritual,” he lies. “Kris will be back in two months like he said.”

 

“Well, can’t you do the spell for Kai already?” Luhan asks.

 

“We talked about it,” Sehun nods slowly as they all head out of the classroom and down the hall. “And we both decided that Kris should be forced back for his crimes; you know, killing his father. So we’re going to use that banishing spell on him,” He continues. “We’ll break our contract once he’s dealt with.”

 

“Well...yeah, that makes sense. But today is the last day of school before vacation,” Baekhyun mentions. “Is he really ok with two more months of earth?”

 

“I guess so,” The punk shrugs as they all retrieve their bags from their lockers. “I could show him around the city some more. Maybe a grill or...can you believe he’s never been to a grill?”

 

Luhan laughs as the two friends loop arms with Sehun. “I can believe it! Kai is...hot but oblivious!”

 

“Oh lord, are you still going after him?” Sehun rolls his eyes.

 

His pink-haired friend shakes his head. “Maybe! It might not matter because Baek and I can see how stupidly smitten that guy is for you.”

 

“Me?” The punk mumbles shyly, forcing him to think back to last night. “Yeah right. That demon hates humans,” he whispers. “I doubt he’d fall for one.”

 

“Hey, you can’t help who you fall in love with, even if he’s a big, ol’ grouchy demon,” Baekhyun laughs.

 

“And how’s it going with Chanyeol?” Sehun asks, nudging his friend. “Have you guys ed yet?”

 

Baekhyun hums, shrugging with a large grin. “Maybe! It’s possible we had a few days after meeting…”

 

“Not wasting time?” Sehun laughs. “What about you, Lu? Any dates lately?”

 

Luhan sighs. “No. Hey, can you guys ask your demons if they know any single, hot friends?”

 

The two boys laugh, all leaving the school together. “Speaking of your hot demon, where’s Kai? He usually walks to school with you, right?” Luhan asks. “Where is he?”

 

The punk didn’t want Kai to be brought up. Or at least not like this. He lets out a sigh and shrugs. “I um...left without telling him. He fell asleep, for once.”

 

“So you just slipped out while he slept?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Why not?” They all stop when black smoke appears, Kai revealing himself. But his expression isn’t as stoic as it usually is; surprisingly soft. 

 

“Sehun.”

 

“Oh,” Sehun clears his throat. “Hey...Kai.”

 

“Why did you leave without me this morning? What if Kris attacked you?” He asks with concern. The punk smiles.

 

“Kris needs me still, remember? He’s more likely to try and kill me during the ritual. When he realizes I’m double-crossing him.”

 

“That does not make me feel better.”

 

The punk lets go of his two friends, striding up to the demon’s side. He grabs onto Kai’s arm now, causing him to jump a little. “Hey, I’ll catch up with you guys later, okay? I wanna talk to Kai about something.”

 

Luhan and Baekhyun give each other a knowing grin before nodding. “If you say so,” the pink-haired boy giggles. “Bye Sehuna!” They both say goodbye, quickly running off together like high school girls.

 

 Sehun rolls his eyes before looking at Kai.”Now,” The demon says. “What did you want to discuss? The ritual?”

 

“No,” the punk begins to walk, pulling Kai along with him. “Today, we’re not gonna be talking about any of that. We’re not even going to be worrying about it for two months.”

 

“We’re...not?”

 

“Nope!” Sehun hums as they arrive home. His mother must still be at the hospital with his father, which he’s thankful for. He doesn't need more judgment from her. “Today...we’re going out.”

 

Kai frowns, following Sehun and watching him undress. “Out? Out where?”

 

“We have two months left with each other,” The punk says, pulling his tight jeans and black shirt on. He slips his bracelets and rings on before redoing his eyeliner. “And within the time we've known each other, it’s been full of...well, bull. My dad, bullies, this stupid demon ,” he begins. “I want to show you that us humans can be fun too.”

 

“Come on, that’s not necessary,” The demon says, standing behind Sehun and smirking. “From last night, I know how fun you humans can be.” 

 

Sehun’s cheeks heat up as he glances at the man through the mirror. He clears his throat and tries to keep his cool. “S-so...you had fun, then?”

 

“Who wouldn’t?” Kai chuckles. “You um...most humans can’t stand being with a demon.”

 

“Yeah, what happens to them?”

 

“Well,” The demon takes a deep breath. “You’re the first human I’ve had but um...all of the other demons I knew who had with humans, the humans couldn’t handle the...emotions it provided.”

 

“And?”

 

“End up in the hospital.”

 

Sehun scoffs, turning and looking up at Kai. “What? You weren’t afraid I’d end up there?”

 

He swallows hard when his chin is gently grabbed, the demon staring deep into his eyes. “I knew you could take it. You’re a tough one.”

 

The punk seems unable to break away from glowing golden. But when he's finally able to, it’s only because Kai takes a step back. Sehun stands up after getting into his boots. “I was thinking we could go to the movies.”

 

“The movies,” Kai thinks for a moment. “Oh, that...theater place.”

 

“Yeh, that theater place,” Sehun laughs, grabbing his leather jacket. “Afterwards, I’m taking you to a grill.”

 

Kai stares at him for a moment before they head out, making their way down the stairs. Sehun doesn’t bother to look at his mom, even when she tries to speak with him. And for some reason, when she sees Kai, she looks terrified. The punk doesn’t think about it much, though.”Anyways. What do you want to watch? Romance? Action? Horror?”

 

“Horror. I’m interested in what humans consider to be...scary.”

 

“They’re not,” he admits. “They’re pretty ty, to be honest. We only watch it to laugh at how dumb all the victims.”

 

Kai slowly nods as they make their way to the theater. “You don’t find any of them scary? At all?”

 

“Nothing in those horror films come close to how scary my dad is.” They stop at the building, Sehun pausing to glance at Kai. He slowly smiles and clears his throat. “Kai, your um...eyes.”

 

The demon frowns and looks at himself. “Crap,” He mumbles. The punk muffles his laughter as the man disguises them. He looks a bit sheepishly, seemingly embarrassed. 

 

“Cute,” Sehun snickers, nodding when Kai opens the door for him. 

 

“C-cute?!”

 

“Yeah, you’re cute,” he shrugs and heads to the machine; pressing the buttons and deciding their seats are. On the balcony, of course. Those are the best places. “Are you hungry? Snacks?”

 

The demon looks around, appearing very out of place. He shrugs and crosses his arms. After paying, he takes the tickets and hands one to the demon; who stares at it suspiciously. “Oh my god, just take them. They’re not gonna hurt you.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Kai scoffs, snatching the paper. It makes the pink smile regardless and confidently takes the man’s arm. “Wait, is this what you humans call a...date?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Yes?!”

 

“Dude.” Sehun rolls his eyes. “Just...enjoy yourself, Kai. You have to leave in two months, so relax. Okay?”

 

He can feel the demon slowly relax. “Fine. Since I won’t stay for much longer.”

 

Sehun’s heart aches when he says that. But why should it? He’s known all this time that Kai wanted to leave. He tries not to think about that night and forces a smile. Gripping his arm tighter, he pulls him toward their room. “Let’s just...watch the movie.”



 

Sehun, weirdly enough, can’t seem to concentrate on the damn movie. And why not? He loves horror. Laughing at bad effects or stupid decisions. He focuses on his own stupid choices of summoning this guy and falling for the idiot. He sighs as he zips up his pants, glancing at some gossiping men. Sehun thoroughly washes his hands, scrubbing under his rings with soap and water. He glances at the laughing men, frowning when they look back at him. He glares before turning away and heading out the door. When he sees Kai waiting nearby, he can’t help but smile. “So, your first impression with human horror?”

 

“My first impression?” Kai hums, watching as Sehun tosses his empty cup and candy wrapper. “It’s not horror.”

 

“What?”

 

“I know horror and that is not horror,” the demon scoffs. He follows the punk out of the movie theater and toward the car Chanyeol lent him. “Back where I’m from, we also have a...theater place. And our horror films are much more terrifying,” he begins as Sehun starts the engine and they head for the grill place. “. 

 

“Okay, but if you have a theater, why were you so confused by it when I brought it up?”

 

“I don’t really go, to be honest,” he mumbles. “But I’ve seen horror movies AFTER they’re released; and they’re so much better than this crap.”

 

Sehun laughs and shakes his head. “I’m afraid a lot of them are crap, to be honest. There are some gems but...it’s mostly ty ones.” He shrugs as he puts the car in park. It’s not a far drive from the movies. He bows at the waiters and waitresses he’s gotten to know; thanks for coming here so often, and takes his usual room. 

 

“So...you have small rooms with grills in them to..what?”

 

“Grill meat,” Sehun laughs. “What, you don’t have grills where you come from?”

 

“Not in small rooms,” The demon hums, glancing around. 

 

The punk smiles before setting the menus to the side. “I’m just going to order some beef, rice, and beer.”

 

“Beer?”

 

“Oh god, please tell me you have beer where you demons are from.”

 

“Of course we do,” he scoffs. “Don’t be ridiculous. I’m just surprised you want an alcoholic beverage, rather than something like...I don’t know. Soda water, tea.”

 

Sehun shrugs. “It’s been a rough few months,” he mumbles, giving the demon a small smile when he looks a bit guilty. “It’s fine. I graduate in several months.”

 

“What about your father-”

 

“Do you like spicy food?” Sehun interrupts. “I do but do you?”

 

Kai sighs. “Yes,” He mumbles. “I like spicy food.”

 

“Sweet, I don't have to separate the meat, then,” He looks up when a waitress enters. “Hello, we’d like two pounds of beef to start with as well as some steamed rice and two beers,” he orders. “Thank you.”

 

“Two pounds?” Kai raises a brow.

 

“Yeah, you eat a lot.”

 

“That’s...true. But you remembered?”

 

“Of course, I…” He shakes his head. “W-well, anyways, I have a good memory.”

 

Kai smiles. “Yes, apparently.” He only speaks up again when their food is delivered. “Well, how is this done?”

 

“It’s simple,” Sehun says, sprinkling salt on all sides before the spices. “We season and cook it ourselves,” He grabs the tongs, places the now seasoned meat on the hot grill. “That’s about it. Chanyeol usually does this part.”

 

The demon slowly nods, watching as the meat darkens. “Sometimes, we’ll soak the meat in beer,” Sehun admits. “Once, we all soaked it a little too much and got pretty damn hammered,” he chuckles at the memory. 

 

“Drunk from beer meat?”

 

“I know,” Sehun snorts. “It sounds ridiculous but we had fun. We all ended up at Luhan’s house, hungover to hell.”

 

The demon smirks at the phrase, shaking his head a bit. “So, you come here a lot?”

 

“We do, yeah. Don’t get me wrong, I like regular restaurants too.”

 

“Well, we can go to one before I go.”

 

Sehun swallows hard and forces a smile. “Yeah, That’d...that’d be great.” He glances up at the demon, watching as he focuses on the new task of grilling he had been given. He stares at him for a moment before looking away. “Well, it doesn’t have to be a restaurant. We can do whatever you’d like, you know? Like if you’ve been curious about somethin-”

 

“The beach.”

 

The punk looks over. “What?”

 

“I...suppose I’d like to see the beach.”

 

“But why?”

 

Kai shifts around uncomfortably. “I’ve never been to one before. Our...world has them, sure. But the city I grew up in, I never got the chance to see one.”

 

Sehun smiles a bit at that. “We...we can go tomorrow if you want.”

 

The demon smiles back and it makes him flutter. “I’d like that. I...we should go, just the two of us,” he says, pulling the meat off the grill and placing it on the demon’s plate. He begins to cook some more.

 

The demon shrugs. “Well, I don’t mind. Luhan keeps trying to hit on me, even after I turned him down. I already told him you were my type, not him.”

 

Sehun snorts. “Just tell him we ed.”

 

“No, you’ll have to- the little would probably believe it unless it’s from you. He’d probably think I was coming up with excuses to reject him.”

 

“Sounds good- I’ll tell him first thing Monday,” he jokes.

 

“Please do,”  Kai says seriously. “He is starting to frustrate me. Do you know what demons do to people who frustrate them?!”

 

Sehun stares at him for a moment. “What...what do they do?”

 

Kai motions to Sehun, silently asking him to pass some sauce. “We ignore them, same as humans.” The punk rolls his eyes, pushing the bottle over to him.

 

“God, you made that sound...a lot more dangerous. Like you’d kill him or something.”

 

“I may,” He says and it causes Sehun to frown. He shakes his head. “It was a joke, Sehun.” 

 

Sehun glares at the demon. “Let’s just shut up and eat our food,” He says but the goofy look on the man’s face makes him stifle his laughter. “D-dig in.”