Kai's pov: Punishment

Inside The Dark

 

 

Kai knows he’s been more than oblivious about his feelings for humans and their...planet earth. Everything here is different. They only have one moon and it’s not red. They have two suns in his world as well, unlike here. He supposes the city is just as big as where he’s from, giving him a slight feeling of comfort. But not much. Everyone looks different, feels different. They may speak the same language. But it’s a total culture shock. Instead of glowing eyes of all different varieties; blue, red, golden, purple. Instead, there are browns and blacks. He thinks about Sehun’s eyes, surrounded by dark eyeliner. His eyes. Deep brown and most vacant. There’s something sorrowful and melancholic about them. Without the facade of his dark appearance, Kai feels the truth under all of it; A sad, tired, angry, and hurt boy- desperate for someone or something to swoop in and save him. Perhaps that’s what he was looking for when he summoned Kai. The demon sighs. He owes Sehun an apology. Turning, he starts to make his way back to the sad human’s home. A SMALL apology would do, he supposes.


 

When Kai approaches the home, he looks up and frowns. No light from Sehun’s room. Perhaps he went to bed early, again. He seems to be doing that a lot since the demon arrived. Even so, there is usually a small light from the night light Sehun has; according to him, it’s a small, rose-shaped night light his friends had gotten him for a birthday. It illuminates red light, which Kai finds comforting as well. It reminds him of his home. Sometimes he’ll open the closet door as Sehun sleeps, and watch it to pass time. 

 

He engulfs into darkness, swiftly sweeping in under the crack of the front door. When sure all is silent, he reappears inside Sehun’s room. He’s confused when he doesn’t see the punk. He looks around the dark, easily able to see everything with his demon eyes. Maybe he’s out with his friends or something. When he spots Sehun’s little black book, he looks for Luhan or Baekhyun’s names. When finding Baekhyun’s first, he pulls out the phone Chanyeol forced him to buy. His petite friend picks up on the fourth ring as if he hesitated.

 

“Uh...hello?” Baekhyun greets warily. His voice sounds hoarse like he had been doing a lot of screaming lately. Strange. 

 

“Petite human.”

 

‘Oh god. Kai?”

 

“Kai’s there?” Someone says beside him. He quickly recognizes it as Chanyeol.

 

“Ah, Chanyeol is with you.”

 

“Uh...I was just...showing him the city.”

 

“I don’t care. Is Sehun there?” Kai asks.

 

“Uh...Sehun? No, I thought you two went home?”

 

“Yes, I thought so too,” He hangs up without a warning, starting to dial the other number. Sehun’s slightly ty friend.

 

“Hi!” Luhan greets cheerfully, the sound of a party in the back. “W-who is it?!”

 

“Feminine human,” Kai calls out.

 

“Fem...I-ish that y-you, you y r-red demon?”

 

The demon squints. “Is Sehun with you?”

 

“N-no, baby, but if yoooou wanna have some fuuuun-”

 

“No.” He hangs up again and sighs. None of his friends have seen him, so where the hell is he? He groans before once again teleporting into the darkness. He pops up several places he knows the punk likes. When none of them work, he tries random places. Even the school.  When nothing seems to work, he pops up in front of the house again, annoyed. He stops dead in his tracks, however, when he remembers something. Sehun’s ing father and that damn closet. He swears to these human’s god, he WILL kill that man. As soon as the demon enters the home, a sudden rush of several emotions rushed through him. Fear, anger. Terror, helplessness. All of which is not his. 

 

Frowning, he squints a bit and tries to focus on the prime direction of these feelings. His heart drops when he realizes they come from the closet. “,” He gasps. The door almost cracks under the pressure of his strength as he swings it open, Sehun’s unconscious form inside as he suspected. The demon easily picks him up, holding his upper back and the under of the boy’s knees. There’s bruises on his fact, a busted lip. He gently runs his tan hands over his pale skin; fingernail had dug into him. Unconcious, he looks so ing innocent. Swallowing hard, Kai tries to think. After biting his lower lip, he manages to hold Sehun with only his one arm, using the other to dig out the phone Chanyeol forced him to buy. He launches something called ‘maps” and looks for the nearest hospital. Anger boils up when he sees that man and woman at the top of the stairs. He glares at their bewildered expression. Without another word, he once again holds Sehun securely and makes his way out the front door. 



 

Kai paces around the hospital room, keeping a close eye as the human sleeps. The more he looks at the bruises, the angrier he gets. He stiffens when the boy moves a bit. “W-wha…”

 

“Sehun?!”

 

Sehun squints over at the figure beside him, looking confused. “What...what?” he asks. “Where am I? W-what happened?”

 

“What happened?” Kai stands up straight and frowns. “I found you unconscious in a ing closet with your face bruised to hell.”

 

“Oh,” Sehun lets out a shaky breath. “Am I at least still pretty?”

 

“This is not a joking matter!” Kai practically roars. “Sehun, when I came home from my walk hours ago, I looked for you! You weren’t anywhere! I found your stupid little black book of numbers and called BOTH of your friends! I thought maybe they knew where you were,” He begins to rant. “NONE of them have seen you, of course!” The demon begins to pace once again. “I teleported all around the city for you, or most of it! But that’s when I thought of your ing father and that damn closet!”

 

“Closet…” He rubs his head. “I...I remember now.”

 

Kai throws his arms up in irritation. “Great! So tell me why I found you in such a state!”

 

Sehun looks at the demon in surprise, furrowing his brow. “Why are you so angry?”

 

“Why am I so…” He growls. “Forget it! Tell me, now!”

 

“Okay, okay! Just promise me you won’t punch someone,” He blinks a few times and shakes his head. “After we uh...separated, I went inside and my...my dad was waiting for me. He just snapped at me a-and…”

 

Kai sits down, he can feel his eyes changing. His normal vision darkens and changes to grayscale. “He dragged you...to that closet.”

 

Sehun swallows hard. “I...I tried to call out for me mom,” He whispers. “But she told me I needed to be punished...Kai,” His lower lip quivers. “Kai, I think my mom knew.”

 

“Knew what?”

 

“I think she knew...I think she knew what my dad does,” He says softly, almost as if he’s afraid to start crying. Kai feels weird when he sees tears. “She knew he’d beat me, put me in...in that closet.” He takes a deep breath. “I passed out.”

 

“You passed out?”

 

Sehun slowly nods. “I’ve never passed out before b-but this time I just freaked the out.”

 

Kai glowers darkly. “Understandably, considering.”

 

“I…” He looks at his hands and at the equipment attached to them. “I want to leave.”

 

“I tried!” The demon says irritably. “But that stupid human told me you had to wake up and be cleared first! I told her I could take care of you!”

 

Sehun smiles a bit and leans back. “Just let them do their jobs.” He stares at the ceiling. He swallows hard. “You were right.”

 

Kai sighs. “About what?”

 

“About feeling safe,” He whispers. “I don’t.”

 

The demon stares at him intensely, as if trying to feel everything Sehun does. And he does. No other human he has ever met felt as strongly as this one does. So hurt and emotional. It angers him. Immensely. He knows what he has to do, so he nods and stands. “Sehun, I called your friends. They’ll...be here soon.”

 

“What?” Sehun quickly looks up. “W-where are you going?”

 

“I need to do something. You’ll be fine.” Kai doesn’t stop until he’s outside of the hospital. He had managed to hide his eyes from everyone and he’s not sure for how long. But first, he has something to take care of. 



 

The demon watches as Sehun’s so-called mother leaves the house, entering their car and driving away. To the hospital? Kai’s eyes furrow when she drives in the opposite direction. Taking a deep breath, he makes his move when he sees Sehun’s father step out; seeming to enjoy the morning. Kai tries to compose himself as he approaches the man but he can’t help his glares. “You!” His father scoffs. “Sehun’s little boyfriend! Get the hell out of here!”

 

“And you’re the man who is supposedly his ‘father’.”

 

The man frowns. “I AM his father!”

 

“Yes, I’m sure you are- we need to speak.”

 

“I’m not speaking to you, abomination!” Sehun’s father sneers. 

 

“Abomination, huh?” Kai’s laugh is deep and throaty as he takes a slow step up the stairs of the porch. He closes his eyes and when they reopen, they're glowing golden. “I’ve been called worse.”

 

The man’s eyes widen with fear as he begins to back up inside. “M-m-monster!”

 

“That’s a little closer,” The demon steps close. He slaps the door closed before grabbing the man by his throat and easily lifting him up. “Come on!” he jeers. “You know what I am!”

 

Desperate hands grip Kai’s wrists, trying to get him to let go. But the demon is much more powerful than him.. “D-demon!” He gags.

 

“Good,” He pauses as he feels rage boil inside him. This small, disgusting creature. He can feel his eyes turn black; not only does he feel them, but terror on the man’s face gives it away. That looks causes Kai to grip tighter. “Gold ing star!” he hisses before promptly throwing the man. He’s launched off, harshly slamming his back against the wall down the hall. Kai tries to take another deep breath as he steps forward. He wants to remain calm but he can’t. He glances at the closet door and that fuels it further. “Tell me, do you know where your son is right now?” He asks. The demon stops in front of Sehun’s father as he groans and tries to sit up. “Speak! You know where he is, don’t you?!”

 

“Y-yes!” The man stutters.

 

“Where?!”

 

“The hospital! But he belongs there! He’s a sinner-”

 

“Wrong!” Kai practically screams. His fists connect with the man’s jaw, causing him to fall over with a cry. “He’s there because you’re a selfish man! Both of you are!” he spits. “You can’t love your ing son,” He throws two more punches. “Because of who he chooses to love?! ING BULL!”

 

“S-sehun is-”

 

“Sehun is your god damn son, you tiny, little incect!” The demon explodes. “Disgusting, absolutely disgusting. Sehun tells me there are good people on earth but then I see people like you and that woman you married. The woman who is supposed to be Sehun’s protector and supposed to take care of him. YOU are the reason he wakes up screaming, why he cuts, why he’s so ING miserable!” When this so-called father tries to reach for what looks like an umbrella; probably to hit him with. Kai chuckles as he kicks the object away. Using the heel of his shoe, he crushes the man’s fingers beneath them. He thought hearing the man scream would make him feel better. But he’s only reminded of Sehun.

 

“You know what? This is unfair,” Kai sighs, stepping back. He grabs Sehun’s father and picks him up, forcing him to his feet. “Go on, punch me.”

 

“W...what?”

 

“Give it your best shot. I’ll let you hit me once, for free.”

 

The father his lips and glances at his unharmed hand. Seeming determined, he draws his arm back and flings it forward. Kai sighs when a fist connects with his jaw. Or at least, he thinks it does.”Really?” He raises a brow. “Your life's in danger and that’s the best you got?”

 

“I…”

 

“Here,” Kai hisses. He grabs the man’s head and lets magic flow through him. With all of his wounds healed, the demon motions. “See that? I healed you.”

 

Sehun’s father widens his eyes. “W-what?!” He looks around. “W-wh…” Kai grins when the man once again tries to punch him.  Easily dodging his weak attack, Kai grabs his wrists, swiftly applying pressure to the back of his elbow. A satisfying cracking sound can be heard over screams. With his arm broken and bent backward, his eyes almost seem like they’re ready to pop out of his head with how wide they’ve gotten.

 

“You see,” Kai lets go, allowing the man to fall. “While Sehun slept, I tried healing his scars,” he admits. “I thought, perhaps, that was the source of his nightmares.” he pauses. “It turns out, even demons can’t physically heal wounds. New ones, sure! You got bruises, weak human? Fine, I’ll heal it. Oh, human, is your arm broken?” He lands a hard kick to the man’s arm, once again forcing a scream from him. “Well, too ing bad!” 

 

“Sehun...” the man groans, Kai strains his ear to hear. “Deserves-”

 

“To be cared for!” Kai interrupts. “I swear to whatever god you worship, I will beat that into you; if you don’t die first!” With that, his anger, once again, gets the better of him. He sees only red, now. Deep, fiery red as he begins to beat. He beats and beats even when he feels his hands become wet with blood. Grabbing the man by his hair, he drags him over to the closet door and swings it open. “Look,” he orders. “Look!” He snarls, tightly gripping the man’s face, fingernails digging into his cheeks. He forces him to look at the closet. He shows him the scratches on the inside of the door. “Sehun stayed here for hours, crying for help,” He whispers harshly. “While you sat on your , masking your malicious intent as ‘holy’ or ‘righteous’!”

 

“I-”

 

“Shut up!” He slams the human’s face against the door, letting him fall inside the small closet. After that, the beatings begin once more. He breaks one or two more limbs, including fingers. He’s so angry. When did he become like this? Why does he even care? Sehun is just. More punches, scratches. More blood. Sehun is just some dumb, kid who summoned him. He snarls. So why?

 

Kai pants heavily, the sound of the front door opening and closing catches his attention. He slowly turns to see Sehun’s wide-eyed mother. She covers in disbelief when she sees her husband on the floor; unconscious, maybe dead. She grows pale when setting her eyes upon Kai; hands bloody, eyes as black as the void. He steps over, closer to her; shaking his head when she backs up against the door. “For some reason,” he begins. “His hate for you isn’t as strong. It’s not clear to me why…”

 

“W-who?”

 

Kai slowly smirks. “Who? That’s honestly your only question?” He motions to Sehun’s father. He sighs when she pulls out a cross, her hands shaking and shivering.

 

“B-begone demon!”

 

“Just so you know,” He yanks the cross from her hand and crushes it easily; as if it were nothing but paper. “Crosses do nothing.” He shakes his head. “I think it’s time for you to reevaluate some things in your little life. Neither of you is fit to be his guardian...” He once again envelops himself into smoke, leaving the woman a shaking, scared mess. 

 

All of this was so satisfying and he knows Sehun will be...angry, right now. But only now. He’ll see things from Kai’s perspective eventually. So why is he still so pissed off? Why hasn’t his damn eyes returned to normal? He appears into an isolated alley, not another soul in sight. He growls and slams his fist into a wall; creating a dent. What’s wrong with him? Why does his blood boil so much? He grabs his head and shuts his eyes tightly; images of Sehun being locked in that room. Of the boy screaming for help, waking up sweating and tears streaming down his face. How he sometimes finds himself reaching out to Sehun, drawing back at the last minute. He’s just a dumb, hurt little human.


 

Kai begins to panic when his eyes don’t return to normal hours later, this anger never leaving him. He remembers stumbling around the alley before deciding to see Sehun. Maybe he could help, somehow. As soon as he appears behind Sehun, he swallows hard. “Sehun.” The human doesn’t flinch.

 

“Kai, why?” He whispers. He glances at the demon’s reflection, which causes him to jump a little. He turns around quickly and looks at him in surprise.“Oh my god, w-what-”

 

“I can’t…” Kai takes a deep breath, “I can’t change them back, Sehun,” He admits. “I don’t know why. I feel so...so angry, why am I so angry?” 

 

Sehun seems to finally notice the dry blood stained on the demon’s hands. He looks around quickly. “Kai, you have to pull yourself together!” He hisses quietly. He grabs Kai’s arm and pulls him into a nearby bathroom; locking the door behind them. Luckily, it’s a single toilet, so they won’t worry about anyone coming in. He swallows hard when he notices Kai shaking. “Are you...are you okay?”

 

“I…” Kai doesn’t fight when Sehun pulls him over to the sink and forces him to run his hands underwater. The punk dispenses soap into his own hands, rubbing Kai’s roughly and quickly. But the demon just stares at himself; seemingly at his own, black eyes.

 

“Does...this happen often? Guessing from your reaction, no.”

 

“This hasn’t happened to me before,” Kai admits again. “I don’t know what’s wrong. I’ve seen this with other demons but never me.”

 

“What does it mean?” Sehun asks, running his own hands along Kai to wash off the blood. He probably knows who it belongs to by now.

 

“Anger,” He explains. “When demons become...incredibly angry, hateful, and violent.”

 

“Is that what happened?” Sehun whispers. “Before you beat my father?”

 

“Yes,” Kai looks at Sehun and frowns. “I left the hospital to confront him. He had the audacity to yell at ME after I told him I brought you to the hospital. I told your parents that they aren’t FIT to be your guardians.”

 

“And what? You are?” Sehun jokes.

 

“Yes,” Kai says seriously. “I AM your guardian, in a different sense. Not quite by choice either…” He sighs, rubbing his eyes. “I lost my temper quickly with your father and that’s when I punished him.”

 

Sehun looks at him as well now, his brows furrowed. “P-punishment?”

 

“For what he did to you; it’s unacceptable. Sehun, he would be executed if he were in my home.”

 

“Executed?” The punk whispers. He looks down at their hands still touching and quickly pulls away, coughing. Kai feels a strange fluttering in his heart. “Kai, I didn’t ASK you to beat my father!”

 

“But you wanted me to,” Kai points out. He turns to Sehun. “Never before have I ever felt so much hate and anger from ONE human, Sehun. You hold so much inside of you.” He pauses and looks to the door, staring at it for a moment. “It took every ounce of my self-control not to kill him.”

 

“But why?” Sehun frowns. “Why do you care?!”

 

“I don’t!” Kai snaps. “I don’t…”

 

“Really?” Sehun glares at him. “You don’t care? Is that why you BEAT those boys?! Or...or my father? Kai, he’s in a coma! Do you know what that is?! Do you have that where you come from?!”

 

“Of course we do!”

 

“Then…”

 

“Beating those boys was just a favor to you, Sehun, as I said before and that’s it.”

 

“No,” Sehun shakes his head. “If I came to you all beat when I first summoned you, you wouldn’t give a ! The same thing goes for my father!”

 

“I do not care for humans!” Kai practically roars. “And I don’t care for you!”

 

Sehun stares at him for a moment before swallowing hard. He hugs his jacket close to his body, almost wanting to hide from the demon. “Then maybe I should...hurry up and find this spell,” He says softly. Something inside Kai aches at that, it hurts. The black in his eyes disappear, returning to their gold; but they’re dull. “I…” He watches as the human rubs his chest. A strange feeling hits deep inside him. What is it? Sad, hurt. He suddenly feels...guilty. Sehun’s eyes begin to water. He looks lost.  “That’s fine,” He croaks. “What’s one more person that doesn’t care about me, r-right?” He turns away from the demon and gently pushes the door open, stepping out into the hall. Why did that hurt? He doesn’t give a about Sehun. Why did his words cut so deep?

 

He frowns when he feels something new. A tightening in his stomach, heart, and something wet. When he turns to look at himself in the mirror, he jumps a little; startled to find this strange cry rolling down his cheek. Embarrassed, he quickly wipes it away. He doesn’t give a . He doesn’t. Right?

-------------------------------