/ PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE

THE DRAGON'S QUEST / APPLY OPEN!

00
Principles and practice

“I don’t understand. Why, pray tell, must we pretend for the sake of pretending?” 

It was one of the more cheerful days available to Draconia, where it was usually met with rainy weather in spring. At the present, however, a radiant sun hung above, illuminating the land with its rays, encouraging people to venture out into the streets and nature. Unfortunately, that luxury wasn’t available to the officers in service to the High Priestess, and it was exactly one of them who had raised that comment, before she was quickly hushed by the others.

“You don’t understand at all, do you?” One of the young men shook his head, almost feeling pity for her ignorance. “It’s not about the people; it’s about the symbolism behind. The idea behind the Chosen Ones give people hope. They give people strength; they act as figureheads for their own community. Why do you think people fight with renewed valour when the Chosen Ones are around them?”

”Coincidence?” The first speaker guessed, though by the dubious and annoyed looks of her colleagues, she knew better. 

“And besides,” Another one of her male companions carried on. “Who has actually seen someone with the powers mentioned in the legend? ’Five elements which correlates to the Five Guardians?’ When was the last time anyone even saw them?”

”My mother served as an apprentice to the shrine mistress to Vermillion Bird, and she had told me that the guardian often appears to aid its people,” A girl spoke up, albiet quietly. “Perhaps you were just unlucky in the North, Vladimir.”

At that, Vladimir snorted loudly, though said nothing in response. The first boy hastily continued, “Now, you see, Misaki. We don’t pretend, because such a thing had never actually existed in the first place. The Chosen Ones are just a legend; a story for mothers to tell their children. Sure, maybe there was an element of truth in it, but demigods living amongst normal people who inherited powers from nonexistent gods? Even for our ancestors, that’s a stretch.” He cleared his throat slightly. “Anyways, the main purpose of us continuing the tradition is just that - tradition. In a way, the Crowning of the Chosen Ones had became an actual festival, and since we are in service of Her Eminence the High Priestess, we carry out her orders.” 

“Tradition pretty much overshadowed the meaning of the entire thing, so there’s honestly no point in thinking too hard about the past, Misaki.” A third male came out of another room, clapping a hand onto her shoulder. “Just concentrate on the task on hand, okay? I’ll treat you to food later.” And dropping an exaggerated wink, he strode over to a seat next to Vladimir, who scowled at him. 

“Wait...what task?” 

“We’re going to look for the people who are to be our Chosen Ones this time. There’s usually thirteen, as per the legend. They are also assembled from different Kingdoms, so it takes quite some time; that’s why we’re doing this ten months from the Crowning. Now, come on.” The first male stood, beckoning Misaki to him, but her thought process was still running.

”How did we determine them to be the Chosen Ones though, if we did not have a prophecy to guide us like before?”

For the first time, her companion seemed to show a sliver of annoyance and exasperation, but it wasn’t prevalent in his tone as he replied,

”Guesswork and fraud, of course.” 

23
Dec

author's notes

Hey guys! Woah, it’s been four months since I’ve even touched this story. And yes, in case you haven’t noticed, I’ve decided to start on this again! Here’s a...not really teaser? But a chapter further explaining how things operate cause I realise how confusing it must’ve been to someone not fully understanding the entire story (come to think of it I have absolutely zero plans too haha I just write as I go) 

Anyways hope y’all liked it and an early Merry Christmas!