Nine

Wingman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“That’s all. Thank you.” 

Mina closed the menu. The waiter nods before leaving them.

“How are you?” Mina started. Her fingers tapping the table while slowly eyeing on Dahyun, who’s just sitting across her. They are having their lunch date right now.

“I’m fine. Busy in some days but I like my job so yeah. How about you, Ms. Myoui?” Dahyun teased while wearing a smirk on her face. Mina giggled before rolling her eyes.

“I'm okay. I am the devil at work. Everyone hates me but they can’t do anything about it. I’m just doing my job.” 

“I understand that, evil boss.” Dahyun scoffed before adding, “You have Asia’s #1 fashion magazine under you. You’re still the same Type A person I know.”

“And once loved.” Mina winked. They both laughed.

The waiter returned and started placing their food on the table. 

Once the waiter finished, Mina offered a quick toast before they started eating.

“I haven’t had steak in a while…” Dahyun stated before chopping the meat in front of her.

“Too fancy for lunch?” Mina asked while smiling at her. Dahyun only nodded.

Throughout the meal, they just exchanged glances and gave occasional compliments to the food. 

When the dessert arrived, Mina started. 

“I guess it's okay to discuss now. I’m sorry for whatever happened in the past. I know I can’t explain it all in one sitting,” she reached for Dahyun’s hand on the table. Dahyun was surprised but tried to give out a soft smile.

“After college, I felt like I needed to find myself. I was pressured and blinded by the thought of building my career. But here I am now.”

Memories from that day flashed on Dahyun’s mind. She and Mina broke up after the graduation rites in their old university. Mina took Dahyun in an empty room to talk in private.

“Let’s break up.”

Dahyun stared at her. She tried reading Mina’s face but she can’t seem to understand anything.

“I’m sorry, Dahyun. It’s better this way. Finish your degree and find a good career. It’s what’s best for both of us. We will see each other again if it’s meant to be.”

And that’s it. Her first heart break. Dahyun didn’t say anything and just watched as Mina leave her.

“But after we broke up, you didn’t even complain. I assume that you understood me. You are mature and understanding, Dahyun. That is one of the reasons why I loved you.”

Truthfully, Mina was correct. Dahyun understood her. Even she, herself, felt the same way after graduating. She needed a job, a career, she wanted to create a name. 

After they broke up, Dahyun didn’t contact Mina. She didn’t hear anything from her ever since the graduation rites. Mina did the same thing. The two of them thought it’s best to not update with each after breaking up. It seems immature but they learned to live like that until this day.

Recalling how she survived her last years in college without Mina, Dahyun smiled. She realized how she used Mina’s words as a motivation to finish college and to be where she is now. It’s more of a good than bad. 

Dahyun held Mina’s hand tight, rubbing her thumb over her the back of her palm. 

“Yes, I do understand. But, I want you to know that there’s only one thing I regret.”

Mina moved closer.

“It’s not contacting you after that. I want you to know that I didn’t hate you. For the most part, I just missed you. Everything about you.”

Dahyun screwed her eyes shut. She can’t believe she finally said it.

“Dahyun, look at me.” Mina called. Dahyun glanced at her and found Mina’s sweet smile.

“I am sorry for not contacting you too. I was immature. My mind was somewhere else. But, I am here now. Like what I said, it’s all in the past. I came here to be your friend again. I promise to not disappear from your life ever again. Promise me the same thing, okay?” 

This is what Dahyun needed. This is what Dahyun wanted. Finally, after a long time, she found peace to the unsettled business she had in the past.

The person who left her came back and it doesn’t matter what relationship they will have, she just wants her back. 

“I would love to be your friend again.”

“I can’t say no to that.”

 

----------

Sana grabs her coat and bag while waiting for a person to answer her call.

“Hello?”

“Geez! Finally!” She walks out of her apartment with a phone in hand.

“What took you so long to answer?” She complains to the other person.

“I’m busy with the interns! Where are you anyways?” 

“I just got out of my apartment. Can I ask for a favour?”

“What do you want?”

“Please tell me where Mina is right now. Where is she having lunch?”

“And why would I tell you?”

“Because it’s important! I’ll explain later!”

“Gosh! I’ll text you the address! Better treat me dinner next time!”

“Thanks! Bye!”

Sana smiled when receives the text message.

 

 

----------

“So, are you really the Anna Wintour of Korea?” Dahyun says after sipping wine. Her attention then shifts on the glass. She thinks for a while and recognizes the taste as one of Momo’s top red wines.

“Yeah, I am. And what about it?”

“That means I’ve become powerful too because we’re friends now.” 

They both laughed.

“Dahyun, are you dating anyone now?” 

Their eyes met. Dahyun pretends to cough before answering, “I’m not dating but I like someone.” She’s somehow surprised how she just casually admitted it.

Mina smirked. 

“Who’s the lucky girl?”

“Why would I tell you?” 

“We’re friends, right? Maybe I can help.” 

Help? I don’t think you can…

“Wanna play cupid? Thanks, but no thanks. It’s impossible now, Mina.” 

Mina shook her head and held Dahyun’s hand. She saw how Dahyun’s expression quickly changed. 

“Hmm and why?” Mina narrowed her eyes. 

“I believe she belongs to someone else now.” 

After saying that, Dahyun realized something. She's back in her painful reality. Dahyun felt a tingling sensation just under her eyes and tried rubbing it. 

Why do I feel like crying now? 

Mina stood up and sat next to Dahyun. She puts an arm around Dahyun while slowly rubbing her back.

“Hey, are you alright? Tell me what happened.” 

Tears just keep falling. She paused for a moment. 

Mina passed her another handkerchief and she gladly took it.

“That’s love for me. It always ends up in tragedy.” Dahyun tried smiling but her emotions got in the way. She’s sobbing again. 

Mina’s now hugging her.

“Shhh...Dahyun, it doesn’t have to be like that all the time.”

 

----------

“How far are we?” Sana asked the driver.

“I’m sorry, Miss. This traffic is just terrible.” The driver told her. Sana groaned in fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter