Behinds

Remember, I am paying you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Namjoo’s POV

She left.

Closing the door.

Without looking back.

I should be happy, aren’t I?

This is all I wished from the start.

But I can’t feel my hands, my feet, my heart.

I drive home. There’s no annoying Hayoung who keeps on asking me about my day. About school. About things she can do. There is no ‘unnie, I passed this level’ showing her phone in front of my face. Smiling like a 5-year old kid bragging about her new toy. There is no big baby sulking for a minute if I didn’t even pay a look. I never thought I will be seeking for that.

I walked out of my car when I noticed a small stuffed toy, size of my palm, at the passenger seat. It was the prize she got after a dozen of attempt on the dart game she played in the amusement park. If my Joo likes it, I’ll get will. I smiled to myself remembering how devastated she looked whenever she fails but maintained her focused eyes every time she starts. She really doesn’t know how to back out. Then, I shook my head. But she gave up on me.

Without realizing, I arrived in my unit. Pressing my passcode. 0719. It is her birthday.

Unnie! Change your passcode as my birthday. Please! Please!

No! Why would I?

Because I’m your girlfriend?

No! I won’t!

But her I am, punching her birthdate on my unit. How did I forget how she affects me. How she changed my perspective. How she changed me, completely.

I opened my room to change my clothes. Fixing my books in my shelf. Putting my bag on my study table. There it shows piles of letters. Hayoung never gets tired of giving me love letters whenever and wherever we’re seeing each other. She never fails. On our second day. On our third, fourth, fifth… On our first week. I swear, she never failed. She didn’t give me today.

I tried to remove the thought out of my mind. I glanced on my mirror. And there a polaroid photo. Me and Hayoung. Her big smile and my serious face.

You should have smiled a bit. See! You look awful.

It was a long day for both of us. She said she had a shooting for a movie. She was exhausted, I can feel it, but she made sure to send me home. Because she said, she knows I’m worn-out from school.

She took her polaroid camera and clicked it. Focused on me. This is mine. For keeps. She kissed the film and put it on her pocket.

I should have smiled a bit. Sighing from my own thoughts. I took the photo and stared at it for a moment. Sorry, Hayoung-ah.

Finally, in my comfy clothes, I went to my kitchen. Scanning everything in my house. I hate myself that almost everything reminds me of her. Welcomed by the same film like in my bedroom, it was posted in my refrigerator. A photo of her. With a short message. Eat well, Chuuu! We have every moment inside my house, and I’m starting to dislike my those.

Opening the ref, the pizza boxes surprise me. I have a lot.

You are such a picky eater.

I want pizza

Eat this because I cooked this!

Really?

Recalling how she dig on a black bean noodles, I actually ordered, she looked so happy. She didn’t even comment that maybe I just bought it outside. Or maybe she knows. But decided to keep a mum. She has always been so considerate.

Unnie, I’ll do it. You should take a rest.

That was a rainy night. I left my car at home because she sent me to school. I didn’t bring my umbrella either. Resulting to me coming back home, uniform drench in water. Plus, early symptoms of colds.

She stayed in my condo for 3 days. Doing my laundries. Cooking for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Silly that she doesn’t even know how to cook but volunteered. She had some tapings but she insisted on helping me.

Taking a box of pizza out, putting it inside the microwave. I have been keeping these foods because she always has that habit of showing up without notice. Asking for food to eat. Or should I say, asking for pizza. Hearing the ‘ding’ I took my slice of pizza and settled myself in the couch. I the tv. Its her favorite show

Joo-yah. Look. You got to watch this. This is my favorite show. It is legit funny!

Searching for the television remote, I was about to change the channel… but I can’t. I found myself smiling. Being an idiot, alone.

Everything about home is you. Everything about work is you. Everything about school is you. I didn’t realize you are affecting me this much.

Taking my last night routine, I looked for my pet Pink.

Unnie. I want to have a pet too. A dog. But not like that… painted pink cheeks.

Then, go get yours.

Name it for me.

No!

Anything will do…

Anything?

Yeah!

Bbang!

----

“Bbangie! Stop!” Hayoung has been holding her dogs mouth gently ever since an unexpected visitor knocked on her door and walks in like she lives there, preventing it from barking so loud.

“Sorry! Bbangie hates strangers... Crashing on my door. You know.” Pointing to the person while commanding her nanny to place the two canned soda in front of them. Carefully putting the slices of cake on the round table. They went to Hayoung’s gaming room. Settling themselves after saying thank you to the old lady.

“No, it’s fine. Neither I like strangers. People to be exact” the person said, holding the soda in her hands. Eyes roaming around the gaming consoles, gaming posters, different gaming PCs and the big monitor. For Hayoung’s favorite virtual reality games. “Sorry I just dropped in” the girl dressed in skinny jeans and a loose black shirt. Her white shoes and black cap completing her disguise.

“Maybe you can take that cap off? That disturbs Bbang” her visitor politely obliged and put her cap on the table. “So… ahmmm… it is not that I want you out, but may I know why you are here? Eunji? Unnie?”

The older took a deep breath. Her usual calming humdrum.

“Can you convince her? Just help me convince her. Please. Hayoung?”

----

Flashback

‘Hey Ki Bummie! I am sorry I really leave the other day and left you with dad’ she has been thinking of what to message her savior. Pressing the send button, she rolled in her bed. Waiting for a reply.

‘It’s fine. What are friends are for’ reading the response of the certain person, she sighed.

Her friends are always true to their words. Like, they will never leave, they will always support her, they will always help her, they will always be her friend. Remembering how they spent a whole weekend on a penthouse one of them owns. Talking about their childhood. Digging upon the dirty little secrets of one another. Laughing their hearts out. Because they know, after that weekend, they are back to be the sons and daughters of the business tycoons. They can’t be friendly as they really are. They can’t show that they trust each other. They can’t just put their guards down. That is how their lives were, are.

‘I still owe you one. I better pay you off before you rip everything out of me’

‘Funny! Then, at least pay me a coffee. Namjoo has been bothering me about the weekend stuff we usually do’

She put her phone down, get out of her bed and went to her closet.

 

Walking their way to the restaurant, Minho fetched Naeun and Eunji from school. While Namjoo has been there. Waiting with JinKi and JongHyun.

“Hey!” the newly arrived friends greeted the waiting friends. “Been a long time”

“Yeah! And there is Key who’s always been late” Minho burst out raising his hand to meet Jonghyun’s high five.

“You know how much he fixes himself and changes his outfit whenever he feels it does not fit him. And ends up being overdressed” the oldest of the group said, looking outside. Checking if the person they are talking about is not even near to hear what he’s saying.

“He said he will be here soon” Eunji stated. Earning the meaningful glare of her friends.

The two has been the topic of teasing and bullying ever since they announced that their parents set them up. They openly talk about the arrange marriage when they hang out.

“Whatever!” she rolled her eyes and settled herself next to her bestfriend. She’s used to her friends never ending mocking. They all laugh. Except, of course, to the guy next to her.

“Stop! They are not going to get married!” Minho almost shouted. Making his friends look so shocked. But they all know. They all understand. Except, of course, to the girl next to him.

 

They waited for Key to arrive, while talking about stuff they never get tired of reminiscing. Like the same stories, but they never contain their laughter. Casual friendly talks. From Namjoo’s little crush to Jinki. To Jonghyun’s band. Then, Minho’s acting career in high school and his super competitive personality. Remembering that Minho and Naeun acted as couple on one of those theater plays. They teased them hard. But stop after the memory of Key dating a Japanese model. Which they think, too young for him.

“Finally!” Jonghyun worded out. Seeing Key coming.

“What did I miss?” welcomed by hugs and fits bumps by his friends. Key stabled himself in the vacant seat for him.

“Nothing much. Just you and that Ari kid.” Eunji said playfully, supported by the mirth of the others.

“She is not a kid! For goodness sake. I didn’t date her because I want to” he responded. Making everyone serious.

It was true. The truth behind Key dating the model was all about business. All of them haven’t been in a relationship they wanted to be in. Well, if they consider their friendship as one, then they have been. Aside from them, they were isolated, keeping themselv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter