What we had...

Remember, I am paying you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everything has been blunt between Bomi and Naeun after that day. They haven’t talk much. There is no after office hours walk home together, no lunch together, no dinner together, in short, no together. And, them working on a same project is really awkward. They became a talk in their departments.

“So? I heard you two broke up” SeKyung, a Civil Engr in the company Naeun and Bomi has been working, asked the latter about the rumors which has been spreading.

“What do you mean, unnie?” Besides from being a co-worker, the older girl is an upper class student in her school.

“You and that Architecture student. Everyone has been talking about your relationship and your sudden break up.” She cleared herself after noticing a confused look of the younger.

“No. We don’t break up!” waving her hands in disagreement. “We are…” she was about to say more when the other employees, all of her seniors and co workers showed up. Some are happy, some are not. Giving and taking something, Bomi miscarries to see.

“I guess, I lost the bet” Sekyung said. Handing her 5 meal coupons.

“Wait! Did you just made a bet using the cafeteria coupons?! Meal, really” rolling her eyes, Bomi went to her desk while pretending to fix her things. Were actually, just a few papers and a coffee mug that she hasn’t wash for maybe 3 days now. Based on the dried coffee left overs.

“Hey! Didn’t you know how much those meal cost outside? Huh? You kid!” one of the senior staffs said, ruffling Bomi’s hair.

“Sir, not my hair!” before she can be able to remove his hands, the other party of their topic a while ago came. Holding a folder full of works. Stopping everyone from whatever they are doing.

“Hi, Naeun-ssi! Your girlfriend here told us you guys did not break up. Which cost me 5 meal coupons. And the thing is, I’m all confuse. Why I haven’t seen you holding hands while walking, going to your favorite convenient store near us? Eating some cup noodles. Which I found, very sweet. You haven’t talk much either. No small talks and pink cheeks” the other guy stated. Making Naeun’s eyes widen. When she was about to answer, her girlfriend as everyone address her, took her hand and pulled her out of the office. Everyone teased them as they left.

The elevator ride was completely silent. As expected to both who doesn’t even know how to confess their feelings. Bomi was playing with her hair. Purposely looking at her reflection on wall, fixing and unfixing her ponytail, but was actually secretly stealing gazes on the younger. While Naeun was looking at her feet. No, at the other’s feet. Socks to be exact. The socks she gave her. Saying she passed by an old man selling socks. She felt pity for the old man and bought a pair. Which is an actual lie. Because she purposely went to the mall to buy a cute squirrel socks, thinking of the older, of course. Not to get into details that she even bought a pair for herself. A couple thing.

They were sitting on the lobby’s waiting area. After what happened, they went silent again.

“They thought we’re girlfriends” both blurted out. Shocked. They looked at each other, and immediately withdraw gazes after the realization.

Long silence.

“Yeah! They thought. They have been observing us. Those old people!” the older broke the long pause and tries to lighten up the mood. Which works.

“Those old people? They are just maybe 10 years older. They are not that old” the other replied. Still can’t hide her smiling lips.

She cannot deny it. She misses Bomi so much. They haven’t spoken to each other properly after meeting with Taemin. Just talking about the project, designs and the sort. The funny and smiley Bomi is gone. Though, sometimes, she sees the other leaving a sandwich or a chip snack on top of her table. With note saying it was from the Construction Department. Where in fact, it was just her who receives them. But she chose to keep it as a secret, because she knows it was from the older. That in mind, she always wanted to talk to the other. And maybe, tell Bomi how she really feels.

She always tried. Her first attempt was when they were left alone in a conference room. While Bomi was unplugging the projector, she approached her from the side, after putting the papers back on the file drawers. She noticed the other sees her coming but didn’t pay a look. She was going to tap her shoulder when one of her seniors came up and ask her to run some errands. The second was when they were having their lunch break. Sitting on a ‘for-two’ table, she went to Bomi and when she was putting her tray on top, she felt a tug on her shirt. It was the same unnie, Bomi has introduced her, Sekyung. And said they are sitting together. If it was not for her supervisor, Ms. Yang, who called her and asked her to sit beside her, she will die on embarrassment. Her third attempt was while they were on their way to the office. She saw Bomi walking in. She accelerates her pace to catch up. When they entered the lift, she looked at the older, which was obviously avoiding her by looking on her bag, fishing whatever she has in it. Even a greeting was not mentioned when a bunch of co workers entered. Unbelievably, in the middle of them. Separating them, corner to corner. All the younger was able to do was to sigh after the Construction Department’s employees went out of the elevator. Including the one she’s been wanting to talk to.

Her attempts were all fail. And she promised herself, the moment Bomi held her hand a while ago, she will definitely won’t lost it this time.

“I heard you’re going to my parent’s anniversary party” Bomi shocked Naeun for she has said.

It was true that she will be there. It was Taemin who invited her. The said guy texted her right after Bomi’s text that she was home already. And they continued to talk, though she maintained a distance by replying short and dull. Sometimes Taemin was calling. But none of them where answered. Because she was busy, as she explained to the guy. She always wanted to tell Bomi about it, but she never had the chance. Or should we say, she never had a successful attempt. She’s going to say something but the older continued.

“I know you two has been talking. And he seems happier. He comes home often, according to our parents. He even wanted us to hang out. Sorry, I just can’t say yes to that. I…” with a paused, she managed to looked at Naeun, who has been looking at her. “I just can’t go on your date and ruin the mood” she added. Giving a slight smile. Sadly, Naeun didn’t buy it.

Another silence.

They looked at each other. Both drowned on each other’s eyes.

Tell me not to go and I won’t. – Naeun

Tell me you don’t love him and I’ll fight for us. – Bomi

Silence after silence.

Tapping on her pockets, Bomi finds for her phone and check the time. “Anyway, I have to go” the engineering student said. Standing up. “Don’t mind them. They will eventually stop those rumors” flashing her nose scrunching smile. Pretentious, as for Naeun is to describe it.

Looking at the fading back of the older, Naeun realizes something. For the nth time, she missed her chance again.

Another failed attempt.

----

Key’s POV

I received a text from my dad. He wanted me to meet a promising investor. And I don’t mind. Most of my business meetings were either, me representing my dad or me as Mr. Kim, the next CEO.

 Fixing the organized things on my table, which every time Minho, Eunji or anyone of my close friends visits me, made fun for having a messy table, I directed myself immediately on my small dresser inside my office. Yes, I have two house, my home and my office. Which, practically became my home because of this bed beside my couch and a coffee table. After my third clothes change, I took my car and drive going to the restaurant in the address his assistant sent me. An hour drive and I arrived in the place. Scanning every parked car, I noticed Minho’s.

“You have a business meeting too?” I asked myself.

Letting it slide, as it was a usual thing that I am seeing Minho on one of my appointments. And sometimes, we are even battling for the same investor. So, I just went inside.

“Excuse me. Table reserved in Mr. Jaesuk’s name?” I asked the receptionist as soon as I entered.

“Yes. Table for two. This way sir” the lady leads the way.

Walking through a well designed hallway. Overviewing the garden on the side of the resto. We arrived in front of an exclusive room. Not surprised. Door closed. But I can hear voices.

“Someone’s already waiting inside, sir” the lady said, bidding her goodbye and a polite bow. I thanked her and hold on the knob.

This time, a surprise.

“Eunji?” all that I was able to say after opening the door. She was facing me. sitting in front of a guy. And judging by this familiar wide back, it’s Minho. Both looked at me in awe.

“Key? What are you doing here?” Minho said. Approaching me as we did our usual fist bump.

“I have a meeting. With a potential investor. Dad asked me to be here” I answered. Still jaw dropped. I looked at Eunji’s eyes and realize what really is happening. By the looked of it, she does too.

“I guess, we’ve been set up again” she said. Showing her unbelievable cute smile, though I can sense her disappointment.

“Sorry. If I only knew it was all our fathers’ plan. I should have disagreed” was all I can say after seeing her fading smile right b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter