Chapter 1: Thorns

Destiny

Jessica Jung has a perfect life. She met a boy who loves her for who she is. She has a loving sister and parents, rich and wealthy life. Everything she asked will be fulfilled. Finished college in a prestigious school, can do anything she please. Everyone adores her. She also got a perfect job. And she’s getting married by the end of the month. She has planned everything. From the dress, the ballroom, cake, everything was perfect. She asked her sister, Krystal, and her best friend, Tiffany Hwang to be the bridesmaid. While her future husband, Donghae, asked his best friend Eunhyuk to be the best man. Of course all of them would say yes.

Currently, Jessica is helping Donghae to pick the white tux he’ll be wearing. Plus, the girl wants some shopping. After they picked the tux, Jessica and Donghae went back to the car and drive to the boutique. Suddenly, there was a little boy who was taking his basketball on the road. Their car almost ran over the boy, but Donghae turns the wheel and caused them to hit a truck. Everyone quickly calls for help while Donghae and Jessica are both unconscious. Bloods ran from their heads like paints. They were brought to the nearest hospital.

After hearing the shocking news, Jessica’s parents, Krystal, Tiffany, and Eunhyuk went to the hospital as quickly as they could. Only to be stopped by the doctors. Jessica was having an operation while Donghae was just a minor injury. Jessica’s mother breaks to tears, her father tries calming her down. Krystal stared at the operation door blankly. Eunhyuk was walking back and forth, worried about his friends. Tiffany was trying to hold her tears. But it was no use. After hours, the doctor finally got out. He explained to them that Jessica won’t be able to wake up for a long time. Then he told them that she was suffering from brain death.

It shocked them even more. Brain death is 10x worse than real death. It’s like waiting for sleeping beauty to wake up. After Jessica’s father deals with the administration, he went to Jessica’s room where everyone’s crying for her there. Not a moment later, Donghae came with his head being bandaged. He was shocked to see his fiancé’s condition. Jessica’s father decided to trust Donghae on taking care of his company and Jessica while he’ll be going back to America to find an impossible cure for Jessica’s brain death. When he knew its 1:1000000000 chances… Krystal literally begged her father to just stay here and trust the doctors. But not even a PhD professor can cure a brain death. It was just a matter of time. But what they don’t know, that Jessica’s awake.

 

Her body may have sleep, but Jessica isn’t. She was watching the whole time. Wondering what’s happening to her body. And when she heard that she’s suffering from a brain death, she knew it was the end of her life. Well, not exactly. “You still have a chance you know.” A voice said. Jessica saw a figure walking towards her. It was non-other than someone she doesn’t know. “Y-you can see me?!” Jessica asked in disbelieve. “If I can’t than I wouldn’t be talking to you right now, would I?!” the boy answered. “Wait, if you can see me, then why can’t the others see me?” Jessica protested. “How do I know? You’re dead! Medically…” he said.

“I-I’m dead….? No, I’m not dead! I’m getting married by the end of the month! I can’t be dead!” she said, this time shouting. “If you’re not dead then your family and friends could have seen you.” the boy stated. “Who are you?!” she asked irritated. “Me? I’m a death angel.” He said. “You’re a WHAT?!” she shouted.  “A.death.an.gel.” he repeated. “Don’t worry, I’m not here for you.” he said. “If not then… why are you here?” she asked. “I’m here, to give you your 49 days trip.”

“49 days trip…? To where…?”

“Not where, but for what…”

“I don’t get it…”

“Oh geez, would you just watch?!”

The boy snaps his fingers and they were in a room full of wall photos and camera TV. “What are these?” asked Jessica. “These are the visitors of the 49 days trip.” He said. “These cameras show us what they’re doing.” He said. “What are those?” asked Jessica, pointing at an enormous cabinet full of necklaces. “Ah… that is the tears necklace.” He said. “Tears necklaces?” she asked. “Yeah, in this 49 days trip, you’ll have to collect 3 tears from 3 people who truly love you. Excluding parents and family members…” He said. “And do I have to do that too?” she asked. “If you want to live… then I’ll give it to you. But if you don’t, I can always take you now.” He teased.

“3 people who love me truly huh…” she mumbled. “Well?” the boy demands an answer. “Alright, I’ll do it.” He smirks at Jessica’s answer. He took one of the necklaces and placed it around her neck. “This necklace can’t be broken. If it’s broken then your 49 days trip will end and you’ll die for real. So keep your emotions from exploding.” He said. “I didn’t get your name…” said Jessica. “Leeteuk… my name is actually Jungso but I don’t know why people call me Leeteuk.” He said. “So… how do I know if they’re truly crying for me?” she asked. “Come here and take a look.” He said, gesturing Jessica to come closer to the camera TV.

 

“See that white sparkle tearing down that woman’s face?” he asked, Jessica nodded. “Those are the real tears.” He said. “That’s how you know.” Jessica looked closely at the camera TV and something caught her attention. “Why are there black and gold ones?” she asked. “Black ones are fake tears. They don’t really mean it… in fact, they’re pretty happy with the person’s death. And the gold ones are tears to honor. They don’t really cry because they’re sad, it’s just to respect the person’s death.” He explained.

“So… when will my 49 days trip begin?” Jessica asked. “Tomorrow morning. And tonight, I’m going to introduce you to someone.” He said. “Introduce me? But I thought no one can see me?” she asked again. “You talk too much, just come with me and do as I say.” He said. Jessica went to his car as Leeteuk drive to a café. There, stands a cute looking barista who’s taking care of the customers. “See that barista over there?” asked Leeteuk, Jessica nodded. “You are going to live in her body from morning till 11 o’clock.” He said. “Wait, if I’m going to use her body for 49 days, then I should know her name at least.” Said Jessica… Leeteuk opened his iPhone and showed her the barista’s profile.