Shouldn't Be

Necklace of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey, thief!” The taller grinned, greeting Chaeyeon before wrapping one of her arms around Chaeyeon’s shoulder. “Who’s that girl? Your boss?” The taller added, the grin still on her face.   

“Eh? Yujin? What are you doing here?” Chaeyeon was stunned when she saw that the taller girl came to fetch her.   

“I asked you something. Who’s that pretty girl that you just talked to?” Yujin couldn’t help, but she checked out the girl, and she just ignored Chaeyeon’s question.   

“Stop it. Geez. That’s my boss.” Chaeyeon felt uncomfortable with the sudden closeness, she needed her personal space. She removed the taller girl’s arm and tried to walk faster.  

Yujin followed her friend, she smacked Chaeyeon’s shoulder. “You are freaking lucky, your boss is a goddess. Let’s celebrate with a drink!”   

.  

.  

.  

“I can’t stay here for too long. Prost waits for me. I need to feed him.” Chaeyeon mumbled, grabbing her drink without glancing at Yujin.   

“I got fired...” Yujin blurted out, expressionless. She just grabbed the cooked pork belly. Chaeyeon choked on her drink at the news. “What? Why? What happened? How?” She asked quickly.  

“Chill. It's nothing. It’s fine.” The taller girl just kept chewing, her eyes focused on her plate.   

“I’m serious, what-” Chaeyeon couldn’t finish her sentence because Hyewon showed up and interrupted her. “Ya! How dare you start without me?!” Hyewon sat down, took her chopsticks and grabbed the pork belly.  

“Ya ya ya, that’s mine” Yujin and Hyewon started a chopsticks fight to try to grab the food. “Yujin, I’m serious. How and why you got fired too? What happened?” Chaeyeon spoke in the worried tone, she felt bad, she wish didn’t to be the reason for it.   

“I’ll tell you if this idiot of Hyewon stops eating my food.” Yujin pouted and pointed Hyewon with her chopsticks.   

“Hyewon....” Chaeyeon frowned and put her hand on Hyewon shoulder. The latter could feel her friend’s seriousness. She just stopped fooling around and ordered her own meat. Yujin chuckled and finally told them why she was fired.  

“Why did you defend me?” Chaeyeon spoke in a sigh, her head resting on her palm. But the taller girl just smirked. “I got bored of working there. Your new workplace seems fun. What if I apply there? What do you think? Does your boss still need more staff?”   

“Why it looks like you’re planning something dirty? Scary indeed.” Chaeyeon just pinched her nose bridge. She felt guilty and frustrated at the same time because of her friend’s behavior.  

.  

.  

.  

The next day, Chaeyeon had decided to help Yujin. She would bring Yujin’s CV and planned to give to her boss and talk to her. Chaeyeon just finished work at NB dance academy, and she went to her next job at OTR Café right after. She walked, but something suddenly made her stop in her tracks when she reached the place. Her heart stopped beating for a second when she saw a middle-length-haired girl talking on the phone beside her car. Chaeyeon’s eyes widened, she couldn’t believe what she saw.   

“Why is she here? Is that really her?”  Chaeyeon’s legs stepped back without her consent. But the girl got into her car and left. “Why on earth was she here? What was she doing here? And why the heck did I froze?” Chaeyeon frowned, rubbing her nose. Finally, she walked into the OTR Café. Chaeyeon smiled and greeted her boss, Minjoo “Good afternoon”.   

“You’re really early today, Chaeyeon. Come on, I need your help” Minjoo gave her a perfect bright smile before walking into her office. Chaeyeon nodded, she followed her boss in silence.  

Minjoo asked the girl to help her to move her desk. “It’s okay, it’s not that heavy. I can lift it alone, just tell me where I should put.” Chaeyeon just took the desk and wasn’t going to let her boss help her. Minjoo felt herself hesitating for a second, but she couldn’t argue with the girl. She showed her where she wanted Chaeyeon to put it.  

“Thank you, Chaeyeon. I didn’t expect you to be this strong” Minjoo chuckled, but Chaeyeon felt shy and became awkward. “It’s nothing, really, it’s nothing.” Chaeyeon rubbed her nape. She was about to walk out of the room, but she suddenly remembered Yujin. She talked to Minjoo about Yujin. Her boss said that she was still looking for one more waitress.  

“Really? Thank you so much.” Chaeyeon spoke in a light tone. She was happy to hear that. She hoped to be co-worked with Yujin again.  

“I haven’t said that I will accept her, I just saying I still looking for waitress” Minjoo couldn’t help but , a chuckle escaping between her lips.  

“Ah...Right... Sorry." Chaeyeon bowed to her boss.  She took her friend’s CV from her backpack and gave it to Minjoo, who was on her phone.   

“This is Yujin’s CV.” Chaeyeon handed it to her boss, and she accidentally saw Minjoo’s phone screen when the latter put her phone on the desk. There was a photo of Minjoo and a mid-length-haired girl. Chaeyeon thought she was hallucinating. It was the same girl she had seen earlier.  

“Thank you, Chaeyeon. I'll contact to Yujin.” Minjoo smiled to the brunette, grabbing the CV.  

“T-Thank you” Chaeyeon stammered because of the shock. She wondered what the relation between her boss and that girl was. She walked out of the room, the picture still in her mind. “Is she her girlfriend? They look really close. Almost no space between them on that picture. Or maybe she is her sister? But they-”   

“Chaeyeon?” Minjoo called the girl in a half-panicked tone.   

“Yes?” Chaeyeon turned around to look at Minjoo.  

“Wall. That’s a wall. Look at your front” Minjoo pointed to the brunette direction, laughing at how clueless she looked.  

“Ah... Sorry wall. I almost hit you” Chaeyeon touched the wall, clearing . She felt so embarrassed and hurried to leave the room.  

.  

.  

.  

Three days later, the blonde mid-length-haired girl who was wearing a short with a long, striped blue and white shirt came back to the OTR Café. She closed her car’s door and slowly walked towards the place. She stopped in front of the café, across the street. She could see a brunette serving the customers inside the café. The girl smiled, it was a beautiful smile. The blonde recalled one of her memories.  

.  

.  

(FLASHBACK)  

.  

.  

.  

Today was the last day of the school festival's preparation. Sakura will miss it, her parents asked her to go to her grandma birthday. They were ready to take the road, her father driving the car. Sakura’s parents were both working as doctors. When they were about to start the trip. Her mother received a phone call from the hospital. They needed her to go here.   

“Are you sure you want to wait for us here? Why don’t you just wait in Mama’s office?” Mrs Miyawaki asked, looking at her daughter.   

“Yeah, I’m sure. Just go, goooo.” Sakura spoke and lightly pushed her mother’s back. The woman finally went, followed by her husband.   

Sakura walked around the park, she took some pictures there. She saw a convenience store. She planned to go there to buy a bottle of water. But, what she saw really stopped her. She stood not far from the store, her eyes glued on the cashier girl, long straight black-haired girl. It was Lee Chaeyeon with a big smile on her face.  

“Lee Chaeyeon? What is she doing there? She’s working in the morning? Shall I walk in or-” Sakura blinking really fast. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. All this time, her schoolmates told her that Chaeyeon was not a good person, and Chaeyeon never talked with the others, so no wonder that people were badmouthing her.  

“Does sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter