Chapter VI

The Old and The New

Lisa was done for the day. She was looking forward to spend the rest of her free time with Chaeyoung. She was informed by her colleague, Dr Son, the doctor in charge of Chaeyoung that the lady was allowed to be discharged. But she needed constant care and Lisa volunteered to look after her. The hospital knew about the two ladies' friendship and Dr Son gave the permission to Lisa.

 

"Dr Manoban, you're here."

 

Dr Wendy Son was in the room with Chaeyoung and a nurse. She was doing her checks on Chaeyoung.

 

"Good to see you, Dr Son. Is she alright?"

 

"Her health seems to be improving but of course, you're aware that her condition might deteriorate if she's not taking care of herself, right?"

 

"Yes, I'm fully aware of that. Don't worry; I'll take good care of her."

 

"Great, she can leave today. But do remember to take her medicine at the pharmacy. She has to come back every week for further treatments."

 

"Thanks, Wendy unnie."

 

She left the room with the nurse. Chaeyoung was keeping silent most of the time. She wasn't too interested to know about her condition. She just couldn't stop thinking of Jennie and wondered how the lady was doing now.

 

"Chaeng?"

 

Lisa noticed Chaeyoung was in deep thoughts. She went over to her and took Chaeyoung's hands. She squeezed them lightly.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"What are you thinking of?"

 

"Nothing, I was just stoning."

 

"Okay, you can be discharged now. I'm taking you home with me."

 

"Huh? Why?"

 

"So that I can look after you?"

 

"Oh, that's right. Can I leave now?"

 

"Yeah, let me help you change out."

 

Lisa was aware that Chaeyoung was thinking of her ex-girlfriend. There were times when she visited Chaeyoung while she was sleeping at night; the poor lady was calling out Jennie's name every single night. Strangely it didn't hurt Lisa that much; it just prompted her to hug Chaeyoung tighter in her arms.

 

Nevertheless, she didn't want to make a huge fuss over it so she just let Chaeyoung be. She helped Chaeyoung to change and also settled her discharge papers. She then gently hoisted Chaeyoung to her wheelchair and took her bag of clothes along.

 

"Let's go home."

 

Lisa smiled warmly and Chaeyoung returned it with an eye-smile. Lisa then walked behind her and slowly pushed the wheelchair towards the exit. Chaeyoung was holding on to her bag and occasionally squeezed Lisa's hand that was conveniently placed behind her.

 

"I'll take good care of you, okay?"

 

Lisa leaned forward and kissed the back of Chaeyoung's head. The other lady nodded.

 

"I promise you. I won't leave you anymore."

 

And both ladies left the hospital with a lighter heart.

 

-

 

"Chaeyoung, do you want to grab a bite somewhere?"

 

Lisa was driving with Chaeyoung in her passenger seat. The other girl turned to look at her.

 

"You're hungry?"

 

"Yeah, a little."

 

"Did you skip breakfast this morning?"

 

"I had few appointments back to back. I didn't get to eat because I was more eager to get you discharged from the hospital."

 

"Why didn't you tell me? We could eat something earlier on."

 

"Nah, we can stop by somewhere. Is that okay with you? Anyway, aren't you tired of the hospital food?"

 

Chaeyoung smiled widely. Honestly she hated the food there.

 

"Can I choose the restaurant?"

 

"Sure, is there somewhere you want to go?"

 

"There is this café by the lakeside; just located at the outskirt of the city. It has good view. I just want to relax my mind a little."

 

"Alright then, let's go."

 

Lisa turned the course of her destination and slowly reached out to hold Chaeyoung's hand. She held on tightly and Chaeyoung clasped on tightly with one hand over Lisa's. Lisa gave her comfort and she sometimes wondered why she let Lisa go the last time they were together.

 

She often asked herself why Lisa would leave her ex-girlfriend so conveniently just because she wanted to remain by Chaeyoung's side. Lisa confessed to Chaeyoung once when they were still with their respective other halves.

 

"I still love you."

 

"Lisa, this is insane."

 

"No, it isn't. I still care for you."

 

"What about Jisoo?"

 

"I love her too but if I have to choose between the two of you, I'd choose you."

 

Since then, Chaeyoung had this tremendous guilt towards Jisoo. She felt like she has stolen Lisa away from Jisoo and it shouldn't happen in the first place. It was absolutely wrong but she was selfish too. She left Jennie because she wasn't too sure if Jennie would want to live with her knowing her medical condition like this.

 

So Lisa was the convenient partner now. It killed her all the time when she thought of Lisa. Sometimes she wondered if her love for Lisa was as deep as Jennie's but she couldn't complain anymore.

 

"Dear god, please save my heart. Please save the people I care so much. Please."

 

Chaeyoung prayed silently to herself.

 

-

 

Jisoo was at the lake house with Mina. She was there to take measurements and to present the blueprint that she has done overnight for Mina's review. They spent some time together and Mina even made lunch for the both of them.

 

"Hey, I hope you're hungry."

 

"Huh? Why?"

 

"I made lunch for you."

 

"Oh."

 

Jisoo was surprised at Mina's hospitality. She was slightly embarrassed because she didn't expect lunch at all. The table was luxuriously filled with food and Jisoo's eyes couldn't stop staring at the chicken right in front of her. She loves chicken.

 

"Wow, this is a lot."

 

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I could get really excited when someone came over. I live alone so I couldn't really judge the amount of food I should make."

 

"Oh, this is fine. I hope we can finish it."

 

Jisoo smiled sheepishly and Mina's cheeks were slightly blushing in red. But nevertheless, she quickly served her guest with huge amount of food on Jisoo's plate.

 

"I can take myself."

 

Jisoo was truly embarrassed that her client was doing this for her. But she likes that feeling to have someone fussing over her. Mina seemed to be anxious in order to make Jisoo comfortable at home.

 

"Mina, you're a great host."

 

"Honestly, you're my first visitor since my grandmother's death."

 

Jisoo looked up. Mina's voice was almost inaudible but yet filled with sadness and loneliness. Jisoo could feel it immediately.

 

"I have been living alone; probably trapped in my late grandmother's shadow. Irene unnie said I needed to meet more people."

 

Jisoo was taken aback at Mina's confession. Irene unnie planned this too; just like how Seulgi unnie did. But she prefers this kind of arrangement. It was less awkward as compared to the cucumber-hater.

 

"Well, I can be your friend."

 

Jisoo smiled warmly.

 

"Are you serious?"

 

"Yes, I mean we can be friends; I'm friends with most of my clients. I prefer to make them feel comfortable."

 

Mina's frown slowly faded and a big wide smile was plastered on her face. Surprisingly, it made Jisoo felt at ease. The two continued their lunch with much laughter and a little tug on their heartstrings.

 

It felt so comfortable being in each other's company.

 

-

 

"Jennie, Miss Im would like to see you."

 

Miss Im's secretary, Sana was at the door looking for Jennie. Jennie acknowledged her presence and quickly grabbed her files. She was going to have a short meeting with Miss Im. Sana left quickly and then another voice came after.

 

"Are you getting ready to leave?"

 

Jennie turned to find Miss Im at the door instead.

 

"Hey, I'm coming! Sorry, I was too caught up with my work."

 

"No, it's okay. Take your time. But instead of having a meeting in my office, I would like to talk about it over lunch."

 

"Lunch?"

 

"Yeah, so grab your handbag with your files. I'll see you at the lift lobby. I'll take my car first."

 

"Huh?"

 

But even before Jennie could say anything, Miss Im has already left her room. Jennie was mentally cursing at herself as she gathered her stuff quickly.

 

"What the heck."

 

She just grabbed her purse and phone and dumped into her bag. She grabbed her files and quickly rushed to the lift lobby. Miss Im was already waiting at the porch. Jennie rushed up to her car and threw her stuff in the backseat. She joined Miss Im at the front.

 

"I'm sorry, I was late."

 

"No worries. Take your time. So where do you want to eat for your lunch?"

 

"Huh? I don't have any preferences. I'll go wherever you prefer."

 

"Alright, let's go then. We can discuss while I'm driving."

 

"Okay sure."

 

Jennie took her file out and started explaining her sales figures to Miss Im. Miss Im might be driving but she was still very alert as to what Jennie was discussing about. Jennie couldn't help but admire Miss Im's versatility. She was awed.

 

And Miss Im noticed it.

 

"What?"

 

"Huh?"

 

Jennie was slightly embarrassed when she was caught staring at Miss Im.

 

"Is there something on my face?"

 

"Uh no. I was just looking."

 

"Ah, are you amazed at how focused I am despite the fact that I'm driving?"

 

"Yeah, you got me."

 

"I'm sorry. I prefer to multi-tasking. I mean, I'm good at that."

 

"That's great. I mean, it's not easy to find someone who can do this, Miss Im."

 

"Ya, just call me Nayeon. I'm so sick of people calling me Miss Im. Miss Im makes me sound like I'm a 40 year old spinster."

 

Jennie was caught by surprise but nevertheless let out a small laugh. Nayeon was already grinning away.

 

"Your laughter is so cute."

 

"I beg your pardon?"

 

"Do you always look so icily cold in the office all the time?"

 

Jennie was surprised. Did Nayeon keep a watch on her?

 

"I'm sorry, I was just observing my managers and normally you didn't realize I was there."

 

"I'm sorry for my imprudence. It's just that I can get really focused when I'm working and normally my exterior impression didn't really impress many people in the office."

 

That was true. Only her sales team knew the real Jennie. The rest were just assuming that Jennie was a truly hot ing sales manager in the office.

 

"Heck what they think of you. I think you're really good in your own ways. People always look at the outer layer of people. We, by nature, are always judgemental."

 

Nayeon threw a smile that caught Jennie by surprise. She could literally see a 10 year old cheeky little girl in that smile.

 

"You're something too, Nayeon."

 

"Hmm? Me?"

 

"Yeah, we hardly have female CEOs, let alone a young female CEO like you. I read your biography."

 

"You did research on me?!"

 

"Well, don't make it sound so bad. I just wanted to know my boss more."

 

"That's really impressive. So what else do you know about me?"

 

"Well, you're the president of the young women social club. You won at a talent time competition at national level but nobody really knew you. I saw your music vids when you were younger. You have a beautiful voice."

 

"God, that video is still on the internet?!"

 

Nayeon was appalled and embarrassed at the same time. Jennie was amused.

 

"You're really cool in your own ways."

 

"Yeah but I'm still a human. I make mistakes too. So don't read those biographies that much. They are just the icing of me. You have to know me before I could reveal my true identity."

 

Jennie turned to look at her boss and raised one eye brow. Nayeon perched her lips together and then pouted slightly.

 

"What? I do have my own personal identity, okay?"

 

"I never said you don't."

 

"Then what's with that look?"

 

"Why do I have this feeling that your true self is a dork?"

 

Nayeon gave that playful grin once again.

 

"I'm a true blood ahjumma--dork CEO."

 

Jennie was completely amused now and intrigued by her new boss's persona.

 

-

 

"No, no. I insist."

 

Jisoo was literally arguing with her new-found friend, Mina. She wanted to buy the lady coffee but the lady went about how caffeine can affect one's health.

 

"You can order your healthy drink."

 

"Like what?"

 

"Like...."

 

Jisoo gave a thought for a second and then grinned widely.

 

"I can get you a glass of water. And it's free!"

 

Mina was about to protest but Jisoo had already dragged her into the café. They sat closer to the window and Mina was completely taken in by the scenery outside.

 

"See, I know you will like it."

 

"How come I don't know about this place?"

 

"Well, you're a hermit crab. Does that explain a lot?"

 

Mina rolled her eyes before letting out a soft sigh. But Jisoo quickly changed the mood.

 

"Don't worry; your friend here will bring you out more often. Just relax okay? And I'm serious about coffee. They even have healthy drinks like organic green tea."

 

Jisoo was reading through the menu but Mina didn't pay attention to her listing of the healthy drinks. She was more taken in by how Jisoo took her heart by storm. Mina knew she hasn't felt like this – happy and contented since her grandmother's death. She suddenly felt like there was finally a reason to smile for.

 

"Are you even listening to me?!"

 

Jisoo was waving the menu in front of Mina. The girl was startled for a second before snatching the menu away from Jisoo. She was actually blushing but hid it away from Jisoo.

 

"I'll get the organic green tea."

 

"Okay then. I'll order. You wait here."

 

Jisoo got up and left Mina alone. She wanted to eat some cakes that were available on the shelf. She wanted to choose herself.

 

-

 

Meanwhile two ladies were striding in confidently.

 

"Let's sit here."

 

"You know about this place?"

 

Jennie was surprised.

 

"Duh, I told you I'm an ahjumma. I know all the eateries and cafes in Seoul."

 

"God, you're seriously changing my impression of you in seconds."

 

"Shut up and sit down. I'll order. What do you want to eat?"

 

"I'll get salad."

 

"Just salad? What are you? A goat?"

 

Jennie was taken aback. She was reminded of Jisoo. That annoying brat called her a goat before.

 

"Earth calling to Jennie!"

 

"Huh?"

 

"You sure you want to eat just salad?"

 

"I'll eat whatever you order then."

 

"Fine, I'll get side dishes. You have to eat. You're too skinny, for god sake."

 

"Boss, I'm allergic to some vegetables."

 

Nayeon frowned.

 

"What is it?"

 

"I hate cucumbers."

 

"Seriously?"

 

"Yes, you'll regret if there are cucumbers in our food."

 

"Fine, I'll take note of that."

 

Nayeon went up to the counter and left Jennie alone. Ironically, Jennie was just sitting; facing Mina. She let out a small smile and the girl returned it as well. Jennie then took out her file and focused on it instead.

 

Minutes later, she heard a voice – a familiar annoying voice, Kim Jisoo.

 

"Mina, your organic green tea!"

 

Jennie quickly put her file down and there she was; standing face to face. The other lady was stunned too.

 

"What the...."

 

Oh boy, what a small world after all.

 

-

 

"Wait!"

 

The three ladies looked up to the panicking one who was desperately reaching over and grabbing the plate Jennie was holding on to.

 

"What is it now?"

 

"I saw cucumbers."

 

"What?"

 

Jisoo took the plate and pulled out a cucumber among the greenery vegetables in Jennie's salad. The four ladies decided to sit together after Nayeon realized that Jisoo and Jennie knew each other. The four of them combined their tables together and Jennie was staring at Jisoo ever since.

 

She wondered really hard – what the hell is this stupid girl doing here?

 

"Wow, you have sharp eyes."

 

Nayeon was amazed.

 

"I reminded them not to put cucumbers in."

 

"Maybe they overlooked it. But no worries; we're free from Jennie's vomit."

 

"Hey!"

 

Jennie was protesting and jabbed Jisoo's thigh with her spoon.

 

"Ow?!"

 

"You don't know have to freak them out with my history."

 

"I was freaked out!"

 

"Well, you refused to listen to me!"

 

"How would I know? You were stalking me around!"

 

"No I did not!"

 

"Did too!"

 

"Did not!"

 

The two were arguing much to Nayeon's and Mina's amusement.

 

"Are you two are like enemies or something?"

 

Mina decided to ask. Two girls stared at each other before looking away.

 

"Seems like they are. What happened between the two of you?"

 

"Nothing happened."

 

Jisoo spoke up immediately. Jennie felt humiliated. That one night stand was nothing to this annoying brat! How dare she! Jennie refused to admit defeat. She spoke up immediately.

 

"Something happened but this annoying brat here just refused to admit it."

 

Jisoo's eyes grew larger.

 

"Admit what?"

 

"You're supposed to admit responsibility!"

 

"Are you pregnant?"

 

"Excuse me?!"

 

"If I make you pregnant, I'll take responsibility of it!"

 

"Are you telling me now that you're a man in disguise?!"

 

"WHAT?!"

 

They continued arguing without realizing Nayeon and Mina were staring intently at them. Jennie noticed it first and nudged Jisoo. The lady turned.

 

"Why are you looking at us like that?"

 

Nayeon was already grinning away and Mina was already blushing.

 

"Can I just conclude something?"

 

Nayeon looked at the two of them warily.

 

"Did you two have a one night stand before?"

 

Jennie was horrified and Jisoo scalded her tongue from her hot coffee. They just realized that they had indulged too much to those two innocent people.

 

"ARGH! ITS YOUR FAULT!"

 

"WHAT IS IT MY FAULT?! YOU WERE HAPPILY TELLING THEM THAT I SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!"

 

"YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO MENTION ABOUT PREGNANCY AND THAT WAS THE GIVEN CLUE!"

 

The café was sure noisy today. And it was really crazy too.

 

-

 

Chaeyoung and Lisa were watching the commotion at the corner of the café. They recognized the two noisy ladies and their hearts were aching so much. But it was more of a surprise that the two ladies were together.

 

Many things ran through their mind especially Chaeyoung.

 

"Jennie, you look great. Are you moving on already?"

 

Lisa, on the other hand, wondered if Jisoo has forgiven her yet.

 

"Jisoo, are you still angry with me?"

 

The two ladies just stared in silence.