Chapter XI

The Old and The New

"Do you remember what day is today?"

 

Jennie was looking up at Nayeon absentmindedly. She was stoning all the while.

 

"Huh? What is it?"

 

"It's our one week anniversary."

 

"Oh."

 

Honestly, Jennie didn't really pay attention to the dates. She couldn't even recall the date itself. She couldn't even remember when they started going out with each other.

 

"Yeah, so let's go out for dinner tonight."

 

"Okay then."

 

"I have a surprise for you. I'll see you later."

 

Nayeon gave a soft kiss on Jennie's forehead before leaving her room. Jennie gave a quick smile and looked on as Nayeon made her way out of her room. Jennie's heart was halved.

 

"What the hell. How could I not remember anything?"

 

She decided to look for a last minute gift for her first one week anniversary for Nayeon. She left a message to Seulgi and went off. She needed to look for the gift fast but she couldn't think of anything to buy for her girlfriend.

 

"What does Nayeon like?"

 

Jennie was asking herself as she drove to the nearest shopping complex. She was a little vexed with own self as she didn't make an effort in the relationship. It was always Nayeon who tried to make it work and Jennie wondered if she had a mistake for letting Nayeon in.

 

Jennie wandered from one boutique to another. She was really clueless about Nayeon's liking. She wished she had drop a hint to Nayeon earlier on. Jennie was browsing through the clothes on display when someone bumped into her. She looked up and immediately rolled her eyes.

 

"I swear you're popping everywhere I go!"

 

"It's not like I wanted to meet you here. You were the one who appeared out of nowhere and bumping into people. Don't you have any eyes?"

 

"I do but you're too short for me to notice."

 

"Shut up."

 

"Nice to meet you again, Jennie Kim."

 

"It's just my luck to see you again, Kim Jisoo."

 

"Don't be so mean. Nayeon will run away."

 

Jennie rolled her eyes for the second time and Jisoo peered closely into her face. Jennie was taken aback but immediately retreated back from Jisoo.

 

"What the hell!"

 

"One more time you roll your eyes, I'll dig them out."

 

"What the hell are you doing here?"

 

"I'm bored."

 

"Why? Aren't you busy with work?"

 

"I am but I was too stressed out then I went out for a walk. Now I'm bored. But I'm just so happy to bump into you here. Do you want to eat lunch with me?"

 

Jennie took a glance at her wrist watch. It was only 11am.

 

"It's only 11am."

 

"But I'm hungry."

 

"How many times do you eat in one day?"

 

"It depends. It can be up to 10 meals."

 

"You're kidding, right?"

 

"No, I eat that much."

 

Jennie was appalled.

 

"What?"

 

"How can you eat like a glutton and still remain with that figure?!"

 

"It's a secret beauty which only my body has it."

 

Jennie would love to strangle Jisoo at that moment but she just couldn't. There were too many people at the shopping mall. But Jisoo remained undaunted.

 

"Go eat with me, pleaseeeeeeee."

 

Jisoo was showing aegyo which tickled Jennie greatly. She likes this side of Jisoo and she saw it once when Jisoo refused to take her medicine. Jennie didn't seem to mind Jisoo's childish side that much.

 

"Fine, but you're paying."

 

"Sure! Now, can we go please?"

 

"Okay, but you have to promise me one thing."

 

"What's this? Eating with you has a condition to comply with?"

 

"I need to buy a present for Nayeon for our first week anniversary."

 

"Uh huh."

 

"You're going to shop with me after we eat."

 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!"

 

"I don't care! Now let's go eat!"

 

Jennie pulled Jisoo along even though the girl was vehemently protesting but Jisoo didn't have much power eventually. Jennie rules over her somehow but with threats.

 

"You ate 150% of your body weight."

 

"And you only eat 10% extra more."

 

"I can get fat."

 

"Seriously? You?"

 

"Yes, I do. My body doesn't have any secret beauty."

 

Jisoo stuck her tongue out which made Jennie felt like biting it. But she refrained herself.

 

"So, now let's do your bidding then."

 

"Huh? What?"

 

"Didn't you want to buy something for Nayeon?"

 

Jennie has totally forgotten about that. She was enjoying herself too much with Jisoo. She really adores having Jisoo for company although all the girl did was to . She welcomed that in fact.

 

"Oh, that's right."

 

"So, what does Nayeon like?"

 

Jennie looked up nervously. Frankly speaking, she didn't have any clue.

 

"What do you think Nayeon would like?"

 

"You're asking me for opinion?"

 

"Honestly, I don't really know what Nayeon really likes."

 

Jisoo furrowed her eyebrows together. Jennie was feeling guilty. She might look like a horrible girlfriend in front of Jisoo.

 

"You think I'm a terrible girlfriend, right?"

 

"What? I didn't say anything."

 

"I don't know anything about my girlfriend. Isn't that bad?"

 

"I'm not judging."

 

"Why not?"

 

Jisoo sighed softly before turning back to look at Jennie.

 

"I don't know what Mina likes too."

 

Jennie was surprised.

 

"I'm serious. Two days ago was our first week anniversary too. She cooked my favourite food but I didn't do anything special. So I ended up serenading her with a song. It was a cheap try but luckily, Mina loves it."

 

Jennie suddenly felt envious of Mina. No, she was actually feeling jealous that Mina got to hear Jisoo's singing.

 

"What did you sing for her?"

 

"The way you look tonight."

 

Darn it. That was Jennie's favourite song too.

 

"She must have loved it."

 

"Yeah, she was crying at the café. I was so embarrassed though."

 

Jennie had never imagined Jisoo as the romantic kind. The impression she had of Jisoo was getting better each time.

 

"You can sing for Nayeon if you want to."

 

Jisoo was grinning away.

 

"I cannot sing."

 

"Don't bull. I heard from Seulgi, you're a fantastic singer."

 

"I'm really not a good singer."

 

"Prove it."

 

"What?"

 

"Prove to me that you're not a good singer."

 

"Are you kidding me?"

 

"No, let's go Karaoke to prove that!"

 

Those two were getting too carried away now.

 

"YOU LIAR!"

 

"WHAT?!"

 

"YOU SAID YOU CANNOT SING!"

 

"I CANNOT SING!"

 

"YOU LIAR!"

 

Jennie was forced to sing and Jisoo was taken in by her voice. Jennie was singing Can't take my eyes off you and Jisoo paid full attention to her. Jennie's soft and alluring voice was slowly penetrating deep into Jisoo's heart. She felt a surge of electric vibes bursting through her body as Jennie's voice was soothing her ears. It felt like as though Jennie's voice was healing her wounds from her broken past. Jisoo was feeling weird about it. But she was not going to show it.

 

"What is this? I'm supposed to get an anniversary present for Nayeon but I'm ended up singing here for an hour with you. When will I be buying my present?"

 

"You don't have to look so far. Your voice is the selling point."

 

"Don't make me sound so cheap."

 

"It's not! It's a compliment to be honest. You have the nicest voice!"

 

Jennie was grinning away. Well, Jisoo sang too. And she sang the song that Jennie chose. It felt like as though Jisoo was singing for her.

 

"So you think I should sing for Nayeon as a gift?"

 

Jennie noticed Jisoo was frowning away. She wondered why.

 

"Yes, I think that is the perfect gift."

 

-

 

"Jisoo, let's eat out."

 

Jisoo met up with Mina at her place. They were supposed to cook but Mina felt a little lazy on that day.

 

"Oh? Are you feeling unwell?"

 

"No, I'm just lazy to cook."

 

Jisoo smiled widely before leaning closer and gave a soft kiss on Mina's forehead.

 

"Then get change. We will eat out today."

 

Mina quickly changed and the two ladies went off in Jisoo's car. Mina kept stealing glances at Jisoo as her girlfriend focused on the road. She was feeling a little upset that Jisoo hasn't really confess her feelings just as yet. It was always Mina who would say those words "I love you" but Jisoo has never returned her words back to her.

 

"Mina, why do you keep looking at me?"

 

"Oh, nothing! I just love to watch how you concentrate in driving."

 

"Hey, I have to be careful. Your safety is in my hands; I'm responsible for you."

 

"I know. Thank you for being my heroine."

 

"What are you talking about, you silly girl?"

 

Jisoo chuckled softly and Mina's heart filled with warmth just to watch Jisoo's smile. She loves Jisoo whole-heartedly but she wondered if the other girl would love her back; as much as she did.

 

Jisoo was totally unaware how much Mina craved for her attention. She did gave some attention but most of the time, Jisoo would be on the phone; replying to Jennie's messages. Mina didn't really say much because she didn't see it as a threat but she wished Jisoo was a little attentive to her.

 

"We've reached. Let's eat something! Are you hungry?"

 

"Yes, a little."

 

"Let's go then!"

 

The two ladies got out from the car and approached the restaurant. Mina slipped her arm around Jisoo's and the lady turned to look at her.

 

"Why?"

 

"I'm feeling a little cold."

 

"Oh, okay. Do you need a hug?"

 

"Yes, I think so."

 

Jisoo pulled Mina for a quick hug and the latter grinned widely.

 

"There, are you feeling warmer now?"

 

"Of course I do."

 

"Let's go then."

 

Mina let her hand down and Jisoo took it in hers. She gripped it tightly and Mina was over the moon. She knew she was going to enjoy tonight's dinner.

 

"This place is nice."

 

Jennie was looking around the restaurant. Nayeon's smile was from ear to ear. Nayeon did a lot just to make sure that she could see Jennie's smile every single day. Just like Jisoo, Jennie hasn't really confessed her heart to Nayeon yet but Nayeon was already falling head over heels for her.

 

"I'm glad you like it. It took me awhile to find a place that would be suitable for your liking."

 

Jennie was feeling guilty. She knew Nayeon did so many things for her.

 

"You don't have to do this all the time. I'm fine at any restaurant."

 

"No way, you're my girlfriend. I have to find the best place for you."

 

Jennie looked up and forced a smile. Nayeon felt contented just to see Jennie's smile and it made Jennie felt extremely guilty. So she decided to give Nayeon the best gift that she could think of.

 

"Nayeon, wait here."

 

"Hm?"

 

"I'll be back."

 

Jennie stood up and Nayeon was frowning away. She was wondering what her girlfriend was planning to do. Jennie soon disappeared behind the piano. She looked away; turned to her bag and took out a small gift box that she had prepared for Jennie.

 

Suddenly she heard her girlfriend's voice over the speakers. She looked up to find Jennie holding a microphone; smiling widely at her.

 

"Hi everyone, please bear with me tonight. I'm here, standing on the stage because today's our one week's anniversary with my girlfriend, Nayeon. I just wanted to say thank you for being there for me when I'm always lacking in many different ways."

 

Nayeon's eyes were b with tears and Jennie walked behind the piano. She wriggled her fingers over the piano and started singing. Her melodious voice soon filled up the café and everyone was captivated. Nayeon was falling in love with Jennie all over again.

 

Someone else was captivated as well. She was staring at Jennie all the time and totally forgotten about the reason why she was there.

 

"Isn't that Jennie unnie?"

 

Mina spoke up after a while.

 

"Ah, yes."

 

"She's so sweet."

 

"Yes, she is."

 

Jisoo's eyes never left Jennie. She was staring intently at her.

 

"Jisoo, the food is here."

 

"Okay."

 

"Do you want to eat?"

 

"You eat first. I'll eat after Jennie's done singing."

 

Mina realized something was different in Jisoo as her gaze was more tender than usual. But she didn't really think much over it. She knew Jisoo and Jennie are closer than they used before. Jennie finally ended singing and the whole crowd in the café gave a loud applause including Jisoo.

 

Nayeon quickly ran up to the stage and hugged Jennie tightly. Jisoo was watching them; her smile soon faded when she saw Nayeon and Jennie kissed. Her heart felt a stab.

 

Suddenly Nayeon took out a small gift box. She took a diamond ring and then turned to face Jennie. She took the microphone and smiled widely.

 

"Jennie, I know it's still too early. But do you want to spend your whole lifetime with me?"

 

Jisoo was staring at Jennie. Jennie didn't notice her yet but she was equally stunned and confused with Nayeon's request.

 

"Jennie, what do you say?"

 

Jisoo was already standing up. She was anxious as well.

 

"No, Jennie. Don't' say yes."

 

Jisoo suddenly whispered softly. She didn't like the idea of Jennie spending her whole lifetime with Nayeon.