Chapter XIII

The Old and The New

"Baby, who's that?"

 

Seulgi was half annoyed that some idiot was knocking on her front door at 4 in the morning.

 

"It's your best friend who's probably drunk now."

 

Irene was half-asleep; yawning and grumbling.

 

"What the hell is wrong with this woman? Doesn't she bring her keys?"

 

"How would I know? Why don't you ask her?"

 

Seulgi managed to crawl her way to the front door. Jisoo was leaning against the door while Irene looked on while rubbing her sleepy eyes.

 

"I'll take it from here. Get some sleep."

 

Seulgi kissed her girlfriend's forehead before glaring at Jisoo with her hands on her hips.

 

"What's the deal with you?"

 

"Morning bestie!"

 

"Where on earth did you go and why are you drunk?"

 

"I wanted to chill out but ended up ordering buckets of Paulaner."

 

"Are you stressed or something?"

 

"I'm confused."

 

Seulgi's eyes grew larger. Her best friend was confused. But what the hell was she confused with?

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Can I get in first?"

 

"Come in. And where are your keys?"

 

"I left it in the car."

 

"Why didn't you take it?"

 

"I was too lazy to climb down the stairs."

 

"What? You took the steps up?"

 

"Yeah, why on earth are you staying on the 18th level?"

 

"Kim Jisoo, how drunk are you?!"

 

"Almost 70%?"

 

"70% my foot! We do have something called the LIFT?!"

 

Jisoo stared at Seulgi for a couple of seconds before slapping her forehead with her palm.

 

"Oh, that's right! Why didn't I think of that?"

 

"Get in."

 

Seulgi pulled Jisoo's arm and closed the door behind them. She managed to push the girl gently onto her sofa which Jisoo took comfort of immediately.

 

"NO PUKING!"

 

"You're too noisy!"

 

"You're the cause of this ruckus! Hang on! I'll carry you back to your room."

 

Seulgi mounted the girl on her back and managed to prowl her way into Jisoo's room. The lady found her comfort – her bed and jumped on it.

 

"You need hot tea."

 

"I need sleep."

 

"No way, not before you get yourself clean."

 

"Okay."

 

Seulgi went out of the room and made some hot tea. She grabbed a face towel from the bathroom and dipped it into the hot water which she has poured out from the tumbler. She then took a paper basket with a plastic in it; in case Jisoo needed to hurl. She got the stuff ready and made her way back to Jisoo's room. She was shocked to find her best friend on the bed.

 

"YA!"

 

"What now?"

 

"Did I ask you to strip?!"

 

"You said I have to get rid of my clothes, right?"

 

"You could get a new pyjamas or something?!"

 

"It's too far! My legs are too weak."

 

"Oh my god! You better have a good reason for being this stupidly drunk!"

 

Seulgi put the stuff down on the table before grabbing something for Jisoo to wear. Jisoo wore it   in a drunkard stupor but managed it well after some time.

 

"Drink this."

 

Jisoo took a sip. Seulgi was already placing the hot towel over her forehead.

 

"Lie down here and sleep. The paper basket is here in case you need to throw up."

 

"Thanks, bestie!"

 

"You're such a baby sometimes. Now get some sleep. I'll interrogate you tomorrow."

 

Jisoo didn't answer. She was already fast asleep.

 

-

 

"Nayeon?"

 

Jennie was surprised to find Nayeon at her front door. The girlfriend gave her a wide smile before raising her left hand. Her hand was full of plastic bags – most probably with food.

 

"I bought supper."

 

"Oh, you shouldn't have."

 

"I miss you."

 

Jennie's heart sank. It was supposed to smooth out the rough edges of her broken heart but those words seemed to put on the burden even more.

 

"I miss you too."

 

Jennie had to lie. She had to.

 

"Can I stay with you tonight?"

 

"Oh, sure you can."

 

Nayeon went inside and Jennie just stood at the door for a few seconds more. She wondered why her heart didn't seem to like this idea of having Nayeon over.

 

"I'll heat up the food for you."

 

"Okay."

 

Nayeon went into her kitchen. She was surprised to find a pot of beef stew over the stove.

 

"You cooked today?"

 

Jennie was biting her lower lip. That was Jisoo's cooking.

 

"No, someone else did."

 

"Was it Jisoo?"

 

Jennie looked up; stunned as Nayeon looked at her; hoping for a truthful answer.

 

"Yes she did."

 

"Oh, why was she here?"

 

Jennie had to thread her answers carefully. She was supposed to be on urgent leave because of family issue and Nayeon knew that Jisoo is her enemy.

 

"I saw her outside. She asked if I have eaten so she cooked for me."

 

Well, that was partly true. That was what Jisoo's intended to do anyway.

 

"Ah, okay then."

 

Nayeon then walked in back into the kitchen and Jennie was panicking so much. Nevertheless, she made her way to the kitchen and saw Nayeon diligently putting the food into the microwave. Jennie couldn't think of anything else but to give a back hug instead. She rested her chin on Nayeon's shoulder.

 

"Hm?"

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"Why are you apologising?"

 

"I know you're jealous and maybe confused why Jisoo was here."

 

"It's okay. I know you're close to her now."

 

"Nayeon, can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure."

 

"Why do you love me?"

 

Jennie wanted to know. She wanted to know why Nayeon loves her so much. Nayeon turned herself around and stood in front of Jennie who was just slightly taller than her. But she managed to cup Jennie's cheeks with her palms and pulled her closer so that she could give a soft kiss on Jennie's forehead.

 

"Love doesn't need a reason."

 

Jennie's eyes were teary.

 

"I just happened to love you a lot, that's all."

 

That made Jennie even guilty than before.

 

-

 

Jisoo left her house in the early morning to avoid Seulgi. She knew she was in deep because Irene told her Seulgi was pissed with her that early morning. Jisoo was confused last night. Her heart was not feeling too good after she left Jennie's place. She didn't want to leave actually.

 

But she was surprised when she heard a car horn. She looked closer and realized Nayeon was waving at her. Jisoo was taken aback when the latter came closer.

 

"Hey!"

 

"Hi Nayeon."

 

"What are you doing at Jennie's place?"

 

Well, Nayeon deserved an answer.

 

"She didn't eat her dinner so I cooked for her."

 

"Wow, is there any special occasion?"

 

"Nah, I happened to see her outside."

 

That was true.

 

"I see. Thanks for looking out for Jennie."

 

"It's my pleasure. We're friends anyway."

 

Nayeon smiled before saying goodbye. Jisoo watched as Nayeon pressed the lift up to Jennie's place and Jisoo was feeling jealous.

 

"What on earth is wrong with you, Kim Jisoo?"

 

-

 

Jisoo went to her office and was surprised to find Mina sleeping in her room. She turned to look at her assistant.

 

"She was here since last night. I told her to go back but she wanted to wait for you here. When I came in the morning, she was sleeping on your sofa."

 

"."

 

Jisoo cursed under her breath. She has totally forgotten about Mina. Well it always happens like that each time she's with Jennie.

 

"Mina?"

 

Jisoo gently shook Mina's shoulders.

 

"Uh?"

 

"Hey, why are you sleeping here? Did you spend the night here?"

 

"Oh, you're back!"

 

"Well, it's a new day, Mina."

 

"Huh? I slept here last night?!"

 

Jisoo bit her lower lip. She wasn't too sure what she should say or do. But she managed to pull out her coat and put it over Mina who was already sneezing away.

 

"You're cold. I'll send you home."

 

"It's okay, I can go home on my own. You need to work."

 

"It's alright; I'll feel better if I send you home now."

 

Jisoo didn't wait for Mina to reply. She just carried the girl in her arms and made her way to her car. Mina didn't retaliate nor making a huge fuss over it. In fact, she welcomed that move.

 

"Here, sit tight. We grab breakfast before sending you home okay?"

 

"Jisoo, can you spend the whole day with me?"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"I missed you. I was told you were out with Jennie unnie."

 

"Oh, yeah. She needed me to oversee some things."

 

That was a white lie.

 

"Ah, okay. So can you skip work and keep me company?"

 

"Sure, I'll do that just for you."

 

Jisoo agreed because she needed to ease the guilt inside of her. Mina didn't ask further. She seemed contented with Jisoo's answers but Jisoo's heart was aching like hell.

 

"Mina, what am I supposed to do with you now?"

 

Jisoo was confused. And some intruder went into her mind – Jennie Kim.

 

-

 

"Boss, are you okay now?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Good."

 

"Seulgi, why do you look so pissed off?"

 

"I'm going to kill Kim Jisoo later."

 

"Huh? Why?"

 

"She went home so late at 4 am in a drunkard stupor. Then she disappeared in the early morning to avoid me so that I wouldn't interrogate her!"

 

"Why was she drunk?"

 

"I don't know. The only time she would get so dead drunk like this was when she was confused with something or she got her heart broken."

 

Jennie knew it was because of her. Somehow she knew she had a part of this. She suddenly felt worried about Jisoo but Nayeon had to crush that feeling aside.

 

"Jennie, I took some time off for you and me."

 

"Huh?"

 

"I want to bring you to somewhere."

 

"Where are we going?"

 

"Paris."

 

"WOOT?!"

 

Seulgi was envious.

 

"Whatever for?"

 

"We need to know more about each other. It's the most romantic place on earth."

 

"I agree!"

 

Seulgi was clearly more excited about this compared to Jennie. Jennie was hesitant but Nayeon was already whisking her out of the room.

 

"Just enjoy your time, bosses!"

 

Jennie wished she could stuff her socks into Seulgi's big mouth.

 

-

 

"You like this?"

 

Jisoo's eyes grew bigger when she saw a painting of her in Mina's room. It was a huge oil painting and Jisoo was full of admiration.

 

"Wow, this is huge!"

 

"Yeah, I wanted to show you yesterday. It took me the 3 nights to finish it."

 

Jisoo turned to look at Mina.

 

"What?"

 

"I haven't slept in 3 days. Maybe that's why I fell asleep in your office last night."

 

Jisoo was feeling extremely guilty. She pulled Mina closer and hugged her tightly.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"It's okay. You're here with me now. It's more than I could ever ask for."

 

-

 

"A private plane?"

 

"Yeah, this is my private plane."

 

"How rich are you, Im Nayeon?"

 

"I just bought it recently."

 

"What?"

 

"Take a look at its body."

 

Jennie took a closer look and realized her name was printed on the plane.

 

"Wait, that's my name."

 

"This is yours."

 

"WHAT?!"

 

"I bought it for you. You can use it if you need to rush to your family in America or you need for a short break. The pilot will bring you anywhere."

 

Jennie was mind-boggled with her current girlfriend. She was touched but felt extremely guilty.

 

"I love you, Jennie. I'll do anything just to make your life easier."

 

Crap, love is definitely blind.