Chapter XII

The Old and The New

Jennie felt guilty. She could still remember the disappointing look on Nayeon's face. She rejected Nayeon's proposal but Nayeon wasn't offended. She knew Jennie wasn't ready. It was clear to her that Jennie was still adjusting to their relationship.

 

"Nayeon, I'm sorry I couldn't accept this ring."

 

"I understand."

 

"No, it's not I don't want to be with you but it's still too early. We have just been together for a week. Give me some time to adjust."

 

"I know, I agree to what you said. I think I must be crazy but I really love you so much, Jennie."

 

Jennie bit her lower lip. She was fully aware of Nayeon's feelings for her.

 

"I know, Nayeon. I could see that but give me some time, okay sweetie?"

 

"Okay. Don't worry, I'm not offended."

 

Jennie was going crazy over Nayeon when Jisoo appeared in front of her; out of nowhere.

 

"What the heck."

 

"Hi?"

 

"Where did you come from?"

 

"I was sitting over there and watching you staring into blank space like an idiot."

 

"I don't have the energy to argue with you."

 

Jisoo could sense Jennie was troubled over something. And she knew why.

 

"Let's go."

 

"Where to?"

 

"Just follow me."

 

Jisoo pulled Jennie along with her and made their way to her car. Jennie was supposed to head to work but she managed to send a message to Seulgi that she needed an urgent leave. Jisoo was more flexible with her job. She didn't have any superior; she was her own boss. So she had the freedom to go to office.

 

"Where are we going?"

 

Jennie asked again when they were in the car.

 

"I'm taking you to a place where you can clear your mind."

 

"Huh?"

 

"Just promise you will forget about what's troubling you. You just need to have fun and be happy."

 

-

 

Jennie was laughing heartily. Jisoo brought her to a funfair. They were playing Shooting The Duck game and Jisoo was a pro in that game.

 

"Jisoo, hit that!"

 

"Wait, don't block me! I'll kill that duck for you!"

 

"Jisoo, I want that huge bear!"

 

"Shut up! I'm concentrating!"

 

The two ladies were definitely enjoying their time and as promised, Jisoo won the huge bear for Jennie. Jennie was thrilled.

 

"Thank you!"

 

"You're welcome."

 

Jennie smiled widely and Jisoo's heart felt at ease. She was glad to find Jennie smiling from ear to ear as she hugged the bear tightly. Jennie was literally kissing the bear's snout and even named it "Chichoo" much to Jisoo's chagrin.

 

"Do you have to name it that?!"

 

"What's wrong with Chichoo?"

 

"That's what my dad calls me!"

 

"Awwww, that's so cuteee!"

 

"Shut up!"

 

"Big Chichoo, small Chichoo!"

 

She was pointing to Jisoo and then to the bear.

 

"What?"

 

"Oh, the bear is a big as you. What about Old Chichoo and Young Chichoo?"

 

"Who's the old?"

 

"You!"

 

"GRRR!"

 

Jisoo was frowning away with her hands on Jennie's hips. It was a refreshing change – usually it was the older girl who would step on the younger girl's tail.

 

"You're so cute, Jisoo. But I'm really thankful for this."

 

"What?"

 

"I'm happier now. I mean I have forgotten about my troubles. Thank you for bringing me here; getting me this bear and buying me cotton candy."

 

"Okay about that, aren't you too old for cotton candy?"

 

"You ate most of it!"

 

"You didn't want it!"

 

"So now it's my fault?"

 

"I didn't say that. You said it yourself."

 

"Arghh! Kim Jisoo! You!"

 

Jennie kept hitting the bear on Jisoo's back as the lady struggled to run away. The both ladies were clearly enjoying themselves and both have forgotten about Mina and Nayeon. Their time spent together was even more precious but sadly, both still couldn't figure out it yet.

 

-

 

Lisa was busy doing grocery shopping at the nearby supermarket. She was planning to make a big feast to cheer Chaeyoung. She bought mostly Chaeyoung's favourite dishes. She  was going to attempt to make Australian recipes for Chaeyoung who was far away from her.

 

She was browsing through the floor section when she heard a familiar voice. The person was laughing and Lisa recognized that laughter. She turned and was stunned to find her ex-girlfriend was just on the next alley. Lisa quickly ran to hide.

 

"Stop hitting my arm!"

 

"You promised you're going to cook for me!"

 

"I am! That's why I'm here!"

 

"I'm going to choose the ingredient!"

 

"YA! Don't make it difficult for me!"

 

"I won't!"

 

Lisa was surprised to find Jisoo and Jennie together. In fact, she kept seeing them together.

 

"Jisoo, what are you doing with Jennie?"

 

Lisa wondered and she couldn't help but missing Jisoo all over again. Truthfully, Lisa tried to push Jisoo to the back of her mind but it was just too difficult. But she was the one who chose to give up on Jisoo and she felt like she didn't have the right to find Jisoo again.

 

Suddenly her phone rang – Chaeyoung's name was flashing on the ID caller.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Lisa, are you done yet? I'm not feeling too well."

 

"Are you okay? I'm rushing home now!"

 

Lisa turned to look at Jisoo for one last time before rushing to the counter. She made payment in   such a haste and left the supermarket immediately.

 

"I'm sorry, Jisoo. Chaeyoung needs me now."

 

Lisa's heart was aching so badly.

 

-

 

Chaeyoung's fever was shooting up faster than anything else. She could feel the warmth seeping out from her skin. And Chaeyoung was feeling dizzy.

 

"Chaeng!"

 

Lisa quickly rushed in and dumped the groceries on the dining table. She ran into Chaeyoung's room and saw the lady struggled to sit up. She ran to help.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

Lisa was touching Chaeyoung's forehead and arms.

 

"Oh my god, you're burning up! I'm rushing you to the doctor!"

 

Lisa carried Chaeyoung and ran towards to the nearest clinic.

 

"Hang on, Chaeng!"

 

Lisa's heart was pumping really hard.

 

-

 

"She's running a temperature but she should be fine. I've just given her a jab. Just let her rest and she'll be fine in few days' time."

 

Lisa was hugging Chaeyoung in her arms before carrying the lady in her arms. She didn't think of bringing the wheelchair as she panicked when Chaeyoung was turning paler by the second.

 

"I'm heavy for you."

 

"Don't worry, I can carry you."

 

"I'm sorry, Lisa. I'm such a nuisance to you."

 

"Don't say that. I forbid you to say like that anymore. I chose to be with you so just don't think of anything else. Just get well soon, okay?"

 

Chaeyoung nodded and tightened her grip around Lisa's neck. Lisa was carrying her on her back and both were making their way back to their house. Chaeyoung kissed Lisa's cheek and both were smiling.

 

Lisa wasn't too sure if she was still in love with Chaeyoung but she was contented just doing this for her. As for Chaeyoung, she couldn't rely on anyone but Lisa. She knew she was selfish but she couldn't let Jennie knew about her condition. It would just hurt her further.

 

Suddenly they heard laughter and voices ahead of them. Both looked up and were surprised to find Jisoo and Jennie together. But the two ladies were in their world of their own and was completely oblivious with their surroundings.

 

Chaeyoung's heart cracked deeper when she saw Jennie hugging Jisoo's arm tightly. She couldn't erase that smile on Jennie's face when Jisoo leaned closer and whispered something in her ears. It was that same smile that Jennie used to wear on her face when they were together.

 

"Jennie..."

 

Chaeyoung's heart just kept breaking into a million pieces.

 

"Chaeyoung, are you alright?"

 

"Yes, Lisa."

 

"I'll walk the other way, okay?"

 

"Okay..."

 

Lisa knew Chaeyoung was upset to see Jennie with someone else. She could feel Chaeyoung went limp on her back.

 

"Chaeyoung, cheer up. I'll be by your side."

 

"Thank you, Lisa."

 

"Let's hurry home and make you dinner. Then you can eat medicine and we can sleep early."

 

"Okay."

 

The two ladies with guilt and broken hearts walked home together.

 

-

 

"Shut up."

 

"Oh come on, how many times do you want me to shut up? I'll shut up for real if you scold me again!"

 

"Fine, I'm sorry."

 

"Aww, you're so sweet."

 

"Hurry up, I'm hungry!"

 

Jisoo went over to Jennie's place and cooked up a storm. Jennie was sitting at her dining table while watching the other cooking like a professional. There was a serious look on Jisoo's face and Jennie was completely attracted to it.

 

"You're concentrating really hard."

 

"I love to cook. I take pride in my cooking, okay?"

 

"I know that. Sorry for interrupting."

 

"No worries!"

 

Jisoo flashed a smile and Jennie's heart skipped a beat. It happened too sudden and Jennie suddenly felt warmth on her cheeks. She knew she was blushing. Her cheeks were flushing red.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"Huh, what?"

 

"Your cheeks are turning red. Is it too hot in the kitchen? Go and rest outside. I'll call you when I'm done."

 

"Nah, I'll just turn on the air con."

 

"In a kitchen?!"

 

"No, in the living room!"

 

"Oh okay, go and take a rest. I'll be done in a jiffy."

 

Jisoo flashed that smile again and once again, Jennie's heart was beating rapidly.

 

"What the hell, Jennie Kim?! What's with this heart thumping?"

 

Jennie just couldn't figure out just as yet.

 

-

 

"Wow."

 

Jennie was awed by the dishes on the table. They looked deliciously yummy.

 

"Dig in!"

 

Jisoo scooped some soup into the bowl and passed it to Jennie. Watching Jennie's eyes wandering from one dish to another; completely awed by her cooking skills – was enough for Jisoo. Somehow she felt satisfied that Jennie was happier than she was before in the morning.

 

"Wow, it really tastes good!"

 

"Is it up to your taste?"

 

"It's awesome!"

 

"Good, I should cook for you more often."

 

"Yeah you should!"

 

Both just suddenly stared at each other; there was an awkward silence in between. They were fighting with their own feelings but both couldn't figure out why.

 

Suddenly Jisoo's phone rang and her heart sank – Mina. She quickly answered.

 

"Hi baby!"

 

Jennie could hear Mina's voice and finally realized the reality. It sank in too fast and Jennie was feeling jealous.

 

"I'll be there soon."

 

Jisoo was watching Jennie's reactions and immediately regretted answering the call. She should be more tactful. But it was just for a second. Jennie's phone rang and it was Nayeon.

 

"Oh, I was having some family issue. It's okay, Nayeon. I'm fine now. I'll see you tomorrow."

 

Jisoo looked on.

 

"Of course I miss you."

 

Jisoo was extremely green with jealousy.

 

"I'll see you tomorrow."

 

Jisoo looked away immediately.

 

-

 

"Thanks for the dinner."

 

"Yeah, it's my pleasure."

 

"I'll see you around?"

 

"Yup, I have to go now. Mina's waiting for me."

 

"Yeah, you should. Thank you for today."

 

Jisoo just nodded her head before staring at Jennie's face intently. Jennie was biting her lower lip; fighting her innermost feelings. Jisoo was staring at her lips as well and had the strongest urge to lean forward.

 

But both were interrupted by the sudden dog's barking. They were shocked for a second.

 

"Okay, I'm going now."

 

"Yes, bye Jisoo."

 

"Bye Jennie."

 

Both hearts didn't feel like leaving but they knew they had to.

 

And it was just so frustrating that both still couldn't see it.

 

-

 

"Lisa, what's this?"

 

"I know you miss home so I made some Australian food for you – chicken parmigiana!"

 

"Oh, Lisa! You're so amazing!"

 

"Let's eat, okay? You need to eat before taking your medicine. Here, I made you some chips and salad   – the way you always like it."

 

Chaeyoung watched as Lisa scooped some salad and dumped it into her bowl. She knew Lisa cared for her a lot and she knew Lisa still adores her.

 

"Lisa, thank you for staying by my side."

 

Lisa looked and smiled widely.

 

"I'm going to stay with you for the rest of my life. This is a promise to you."

 

Lisa kissed her forehead and both settled down with their dinner.

 

This heart-stricken couple was forced to stay together because of unfortunate circumstances.

 

If they had a choice, they wouldn't leave Jennie or Jisoo but they had to.

 

And they only had each other for the rest of their lives.

 

-

 

Nayeon was in her car; parking at Jennie's place. She looked up to find Jennie's house still had her lights on. But she was surprised when she saw Jisoo walking towards her car.

 

"What is Jisoo doing here?"

 

Nayeon started to wonder.

 

-

 

"Miss Jisoo is not in the office. She wasn't in the office for the whole time."

 

Mina was planning to surprise Jisoo at her office but she wasn't there.

 

"Do you have any idea where she went to?"

 

Jisoo's assistant shook her head but then she recalled Jisoo called to inform her that she would be out with Jennie the whole day and only to call her if it was urgent.

 

"Oh, I think she's out with Miss Kim."

 

"Miss Kim? Jennie Kim?"

 

"Yes, she's with Miss Kim."

 

Mina was surprised to hear that. And she too wondered why Jisoo was with Jennie for the whole day.