Chapter III

The Old and The New

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

Jennie rolled her eyes. Why, out of many places, she had to bump into Kim Jisoo in the library?

 

"Do you own this library?"

 

"No, why are you here? Do you even read?"

 

"Are you belittling me now?"

 

The deal with Seulgi fell through. Both girls refused to compromise and left Seulgi bewildered. They just hated each other guts that much.

 

"This is insane. I'm leaving."

 

"Good, go."

 

Jisoo stomped off while Jennie walked in the opposite direction. Her mood was dampened by the presence of Kim Jisoo. She couldn't understand why she disliked Jisoo so much. She didn't have the mood to find the book she wanted anymore. She turned around and left the library. She decided to find something to eat.

 

-

 

She came across this little café at the corner of the street; just two blocks away from the library. Jennie loves their Caesar Chicken Salad and the ambience was perfect for her to chill.

 

"We're kinda full house now but if you don't mind, I can bunk you with someone who's sitting alone. Do you mind?"

 

"Nah, I don't mind."

 

"Okay, right away. Follow me, Miss."

 

The place was packed with executives from the nearby offices; having their lunch at the same place. It was noisy; worse than a school canteen or even the market. Everybody was in a lighter mood since it was lunch time and their stomachs were filled with good food.

 

"Hi, do you mind if someone joins you at your table? We're on full house today."

 

"Sure."

 

The person was still reading the newspapers and just nodded without even looking up. Jennie couldn't see the person properly as the waiter blocked her view. The waiter took Jennie's orders and left her with the stranger.

 

Jennie didn't talk much. She just took out her Ipad and started swiping her index finger against the smooth surface. She was reading her emails. Her food came with her coffee and Jennie took her time. She was about to poke her fork into her salad when she heard a groan.

 

"You have got to be kidding me."

 

Jennie immediately looked up. She recognised that voice. She came face to face with her nemesis. Her hunger faded out.

 

"Great. There goes my appetite."

 

Jennie put her fork aside.

 

"It wasn't my fault. Why are you here in the first place? Did you follow me?"

 

"What? Do I look like a stalker to you?"

 

"Don't you have other place to have your lunch at?"

 

"This place is the best."

 

"What is?"

 

"The salads."

 

"Ah, you're a fan of the salads."

 

"Well, except for cucumbers."

 

"o.O"

 

"What's with that look?"

 

"Cucumbers? Why? They remind you of someone?"

 

"I'm allergic to them." (A/N: Okay Jennie's really not allergic -- but let's all pretend that she has cucumber allergy in this story XD)

 

"Really?"

 

Jisoo scanned through her plate and found a small piece of cucumber at the side. She purposely pulled it out and Jennie saw it. Jisoo was actively poking her fork through the cucumber and Jennie's eyes grew larger.

 

"Don't you dare!"

 

"Why not?"

 

"I'll throw up, I swear."

 

"Right."

 

Jisoo stubbornly took a bite and the smell was too much for Jennie. She was telling the truth. She threw up; all over the table – leaving Jisoo flabbergasted.

 

-

 

"Here is her medicine."

 

"Okay, thanks."

 

This was stupid, Jisoo thought. She was holding on to a pale looking Jennie who had just threw up mountains of her inside; Jisoo was still disgusted and her clothes stink of Jennie's vomit.

 

"What the hell am I doing this for?"

 

The owner of the café conveniently pushed the responsibility to Jisoo who happened to be the one who caused the ruckus. Jisoo had no choice but to bring Jennie to the hospital.

 

Apparently, Jennie was serious about being allergic to cucumbers. It was on her medical records and Jisoo was still amused by it.

 

"How could someone be allergic to cucumbers without even eating them?"

 

"What the hell are you doing?"

 

Jisoo turned to find Jennie staring at her.

 

"What?"

 

"Why are you holding me tightly?"

 

"Oh, you want me to release you?"

 

Jisoo immediately let go of her hands and Jennie fell with the loudest thud. Jisoo was smirking away before helping her up again.

 

"There, that's the reason why I'm holding on tightly."

 

"I just asked you a question; I didn't ask you to let go."

 

"Are you hurt?"

 

"Shut up, idiot."

 

"Look, I'm sorry for what happened earlier on. Well, it was kinda amusing but then again, I didn't realise that it could pose a danger to you."

 

"I told you I would throw up."

 

"Okay, fine. It's my fault. I'll take you home."

 

"I cannot drive."

 

"I'll drive."

 

"You?"

 

Jennie pointed a finger weakly at Jisoo. The younger girl tapped Jennie's finger away.

 

"I have license."

 

"Aren't you still in high school?"

 

Jisoo curved her lips up; completely amused now.

 

"I'm an architect, mind you."

 

"Ah, I'm sorry. You look really young."

 

"I think you're still hallucinating. Just shut up and sit here. I'll drive you home."

 

Jisoo gently placed Jennie in the passenger seat and buckled her up. She closed the door and took a deep breath. She needed to calm down – probably 100 times more than usual.

 

"Relax Jisoo, just send her home and leave immediately."

 

-

 

"I want a drink."

 

"Alright, hang on."

 

Jisoo poured a glass of water and brought it to Jennie. Well, her initial plan fell through. Jennie got her under her thumb. She appeared weak and vulnerable; it was convincing enough for Jisoo to feel guilty and remain behind to look after the sick woman.

 

"Here."

 

"Can you help me up?"

 

"You cannot get up now?"

 

"My body is weak. Thanks to someone who refuses to heed my warnings against cucumbers."

 

"Shut up."

 

Jisoo leaned closer and helped Jennie to sit up properly. She allowed the weaker lady to lean against her chest and helped her with the glass. Jennie had a little difficulty and Jisoo pulled her closer.

 

"Are you taking advantage of me now?"

 

Jisoo rolled her eyes.

 

"You're just like a baby now. I might need to change your diapers after this."

 

Jennie shot her a look and Jisoo stuck her tongue out – feeling triumphant over the bossy sick lady.

 

"You live alone?"

 

"Why?"

 

"I was looking through your kitchen. There was nothing for me to work on."

 

"What are you planning to do? Burn down my kitchen?"

 

"I just need to tweak the cylinder gas and throw the lighter up in the air."

 

"Shut up."

 

"I wanted to cook some porridge for you. And seriously, your fridge is free of cucumbers."

 

"Do you need me to throw up again?"

 

"NO!"

 

Jennie managed a smile and Jisoo rolled her eyes. Jennie noticed the patch on Jisoo's blouse – she vomited on Jisoo earlier on.

 

"I'm sorry about your blouse."

 

"Huh? Nah, it's okay. It doesn't stink that much."

 

"You need a change?"

 

Jisoo turned to look at Jennie.

 

"There are some blouses in that cupboard. You can take anyone of them."

 

Jisoo went over to the cupboard – it was full of pink blouses and polo-tees.

 

"It's pink!?"

 

"You hate pink?"

 

"It's not my colour. Wait, are these yours?"

 

"Why?"

 

"I don't see you wear pink before."

 

Jennie was impressed at how observant Jisoo was.

 

"Those are my ex-girlfriend's. I couldn't bear to throw them out."

 

Jisoo turned to find Jennie's eyes were a little downcast. She knew Jennie was thinking of her ex-girlfriend. She took one polo tee and walked over to Jennie.

 

"Cheer up. You'll find someone better."

 

Jennie looked up.

 

"I mean, I know how it feels but it's over anyway. Let's just try to move on as much as possible."

 

"It hurts badly, doesn't it?"

 

Jisoo nodded.

 

"It hurts like hell but what can you do? She chose to leave you, right?"

 

"Yeah, your ex did the same thing?"

 

"Yeah, I got my heart broken like nobody business but that's life. I couldn't do anything about it."

 

Jennie nodded her head weakly.

 

"Oh well, you rest here. I'll go out for a moment."

 

"Huh?"

 

"I need to cook for you. Let's have dinner together. My treat."

 

Jisoo then took the keys from Jennie's table.

 

"I take your house keys with me. I'll be back quickly. Just rest well."

 

Jisoo left quickly and Jennie was bewildered.

 

But it was a nice feeling to have someone looking after her when she was sick like this.

 

Chaeyoung used to look after her.

 

"Ah, it's time to move on, Jennie. Chaeyoung's not coming back anymore."

 

Jennie stopped herself from thinking of Chaeyoung. She closed her eyes and fell asleep almost immediately.

 

 

 

- - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Double Update!! So better check the next chapter ;)

Also, I know Jennie's really not allergic to Cucumber ; If I remember correctly, she has not mentioned any food allergies or anything, but in this story, let's just all pretend, if that's okay? Cool?

Thanks for reading,

Ciao~