Chapter XVI

The Old and The New

"WHAT? WHERE DID SHE SAY SHE WAS GOING?"

 

Seulgi was surprised when Mina told her that Jisoo had to travel out of the country.

 

"She didn't mention which country. She said she needed to leave because it was urgent."

 

"What the."

 

"Is everything alright with Jisoo unnie, Seulgi unnie?"

 

Seulgi couldn't be sure and she had a bad feeling about this. Irene was already sighing away. Mina was still in the dark; well she wasn't sure what was going on either.

 

"Mina, I need to talk to your Seulgi unnie for a while."

 

"Oh okay, I'll buy us lunch. I'll see you later."

 

"Alright."

 

The three girls were at Seulgi's office and Mina left immediately. Irene was closing the door before turning to face her girlfriend. She was a little furious about Jisoo as she knew Jisoo's feelings towards Mina weren't true.

 

"Do you mind telling me what's happening, Seulgi?"

 

Seulgi turned to look at Irene. Her girlfriend was a little upset.

 

"I know you're upset about Jisoo."

 

"Mina's like my little sister. I'm a little protective over her. And I know Jisoo went through a lot with Lisa but if she doesn't love Mina, she should just be honest."

 

"You suspected it too?!"

 

"I might be quiet. But I know what's going on. Jisoo's not in love with Mina. She's falling in love with Jennie, isn't it?"

 

Seulgi nodded her head.

 

"But that dumb woman doesn't realize it."

 

"Your boss is dumb as well."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She's in love with Jisoo as well."

 

"How do you know?"

 

"It's a gut feeling but from what I observed, your boss and your dumb best friend are in love with each other."

 

"This is insane."

 

"I don't know what's going to happen in the future but if you can advise Jisoo about Mina, please do before that innocent girl falls for Jisoo further."

 

"I'll have a talk with her. But Mina will get hurt eventually."

 

"Don't worry, I'll look out for her. You just need to get Jisoo back to her senses. And I know where she went."

 

"What?"

 

"I went into her room this morning. She left her laptop on. She booked herself a trip to Paris. I think she went to meet Jennie."

 

"WHAT?!"

 

Seulgi was stunned but someone else's heart was already breaking apart. The girl in question was just outside the door; listening to their conversation.

 

Mina returned to Seulgi's office. She has forgotten her purse and stumbled upon the couple's conversation.

 

Jisoo unnie...

 

Tears fell immediately.

 

-

 

"Andwaeyo; it's my turn to cry; naega hallgaeywo"

 

14 hours on the flight drove Jisoo crazy. She was extremely worried for Jennie. She couldn't stand hearing Jennie's quivering voice over the phone. The plane has finally touched down and Jisoo was eager to get off the plane. She was the first to leave the plane and checked herself out. She left the departure hall immediately and turned her phone on. There were many messages but she decided to call Jennie first.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Where are you?"

 

"Kim Jisoo, are you crazy? Where have you been?"

 

"I'm already here."

 

"Huh!?"

 

"I'm already in Paris International Airport. Where are you?"

 

Jisoo was running around the airport; searching for Jennie. Suddenly she saw a familiar figure stood in front of the statue; staring at her. She found Jennie.

 

"Jennie!"

 

Jennie was stunned for words. She couldn't believe Jisoo was here. Jisoo, the one she was missing all this while was finally here. She never thought; she could have Jisoo by her side when she needed her the most.

 

Jisoo crashed into her; grabbing her arms and held her tightly in her embrace. Jennie was still stunned but as soon as Jisoo whispered softly in her ears. Jennie cried immediately.

 

"Hush now, don't cry. I'm here."

 

Jennie cried even more.

 

-

 

"What happened?"

 

The two ladies were sitting at the café nearby the airport. Jisoo held her hand tightly; her eyes were concerned.

 

"Nayeon has a change of heart."

 

"Huh? What do you mean?"

 

Jennie told her what happened and Jisoo was completely appalled by Nayeon's stupidity.

 

"What was she thinking?"

 

"I don't know. I guess she's confused."

 

"She didn't come after you?"

 

Jennie shook her head.

 

"What the hell!"

 

"I'm just glad that you're here but what did Mina said?"

 

"I told her I had something urgent to do overseas."

 

"You didn't tell her you're meeting me?"

 

"No."

 

"Why, Jisoo?"

 

Jisoo bit her lower lip. She wasn't too sure if she should reveal her feelings for Jennie. It was clear to her now that her heart loves Jennie. But she couldn't take advantage of Jennie just like that and she's still Mina's girlfriend. She couldn't be selfish. She had to keep her feelings to herself first. She had to. She was forced to.

 

"I didn't want her to worry for me."

 

"What if she finds out?"

 

"I'll explain to her. Don't worry so much about Mina."

 

"Are you sure, Jisoo?"

 

"Yes, I'm sure. Don't worry okay?"

 

Jennie nodded and pulled Jisoo closer for a hug. It felt right being in Jisoo's arms and Jennie was battling with her feelings deep down inside. She was still unsure why she felt like this.

 

"Let's grab something to eat. I'm hungry."

 

"Okay, let's do that."

 

"After that, we can book a flight back. Don't cry anymore. I'm here."

 

"Thanks Jisoo."

 

"You're welcome."

 

Two silly lovefools just couldn't tell each other how they felt for one another. They just couldn't be honest; circumstances didn't allow them.

 

-

 

The next flight out was in two days' time. Jisoo and Jennie had time to walk around Paris. They booked a hotel nearby to the airport and there was only one room left.

 

"It's a queen-sized bed. That's all they have."

 

"Just take it first."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Why? Are you a man?"

 

"No, I mean never mind."

 

Jennie decided not to ask further and took up the room. Both ladies went up and was awed at the design especially Jisoo.

 

"Wow, the room looks really good."

 

"Yeah, it is."

 

Jennie yawned. Jisoo turned to look at her.

 

"Get some sleep. You must be tired at the airport the whole time. Why didn't you book a room for yourself?"

 

"I didn't think of it. I was too swarmed with Nayeon."

 

"I understand. Get some sleep."

 

"How about you?"

 

"I'll sleep later."

 

"Okay."

 

Jennie fell asleep almost immediately. It didn't take long and Jisoo was amused. She pulled the blanket over Jennie before settling down at the sofa nearby. She suddenly remembered her phone and those messages that she hasn't read yet.

 

She took out her phone from her jeans pocket and saw Mina's name on most of the messages. She frowned and wondered what happened. Why did Mina send so many messages to her?

 

She pressed READ on the first message.

 

Baby, where are you going? Why couldn't I get you? Please call me when you read this message.

 

Jisoo, why did you turn your phone off? Call me urgently.

 

Jisoo, we need to talk. Please call me. I'm going crazy.

 

Jisoo was frowning away. What happened to Mina? She was worried.

 

Jisoo, are you with Jennie unnie now? They said you booked yourself a ticket to Paris.

There is where Jennie unnie is right now, right?

Why are you with her? Why wouldn't you tell me the truth?

 

Jisoo, is it true? You're in love with Jennie unnie?

 

 

MINA!

 

Jisoo didn't wait further. She left the room and immediately called Mina. She wasn't too sure what she would say to Mina but she needed to hear Mina's voice. Honestly, Jisoo cares a lot about Mina. Even if there's not much love for her but Jisoo cares for her genuinely.

 

"Come on, Mina! Answer the phone, please!"

 

Jisoo was getting worried. She waited for a while more and someone finally answered.

 

"Mina!"

 

There was only silence.

 

"Mina, I know you can hear me. I know it's you."

 

There was still silence but a few seconds later, there was a sigh.

 

"You finally called."

 

"Mina, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hide it from you. I don't want you to worry about me."

 

"You don't want me to know that you're with Jennie unnie now."

 

"Mina, I...."

 

"Tell me truthfully, Jisoo. Do you love me?"

 

Jisoo knew she shouldn't lie anymore. She wanted to love Mina; she wanted to fall in love with her but unfortunately her heart wanted otherwise.

 

"I should have known."

 

"Mina.."

 

"Those times when you spent your time with Jennie unnie; those moments when you talked on the phone for hours with her; those long night messages you had with her; I should have known that your heart wants her."

 

Jisoo's eyes grew larger.

 

"I know everything. I suspected it but I never thought you would hurt me like that but you did."

 

"Mina, I'm sorry. I shouldn't lie to you. Honestly, I love you."

 

"Yes, you love me but as a sister, right?"

 

"Mina, I'm sorry."

 

"Let's end it now."

 

"Mina!"

 

"Good luck, Jisoo unnie."

 

Mina ended the call immediately; Jisoo was horrified.

 

-

 

Mina interrupted Seulgi and Irene's conversation. The two older ladies were stumped.

 

"Mina!"

 

"I heard everything."

 

"I thought you were out?"

 

"I forgot my purse."

 

The two ladies were horrified when Mina told them she overheard their conversation. The couple was worried but Mina shrugged it off.

 

"I have my suspicions as well."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Jisoo spent her time on the phone more with Jennie unnie than with me."

 

Irene looked at Seulgi.

 

"She hasn't uttered those 3 words to me at all before. I've been waiting for her those words to be said to me but no, nothing from her."

 

"Mina, oh my god! I'm so sorry that your heart is broken."

 

Irene was feeling guilty and Seulgi wanted to kill Jisoo.

 

"Don't feel guilty. Every love has its moments of heartache. I guess mine is going to be this way."

 

"I apologised on behalf of Jisoo, Mina. She's stupid. She's dumb sometimes."

 

"She's cute when she's dumb."

 

"Huh?"

 

"Don't worry; I'm not mad with her. But I wish she had the little courage to be truthful to herself."

 

"What?"

 

"I know she's in love with Jennie unnie but she just couldn't realize it."

 

"Mina, stop talking like that."

 

"Don't worry, Irene unnie. I'll be fine."

 

"I'm going to be here for you."

 

"Me too!"

 

"Thanks unnies. I know what to do now. Help Jisoo unnie find her true heart."

 

Mina smiled with tears rolling down her cheeks. It hurt her; to be honest; it broke her literally. But she knew it was redundant to force her love onto Jisoo when she already knew who had already captured Jisoo's heart in the first place.

 

Jisoo finally called her earlier on and Mina was determined to end this relationship. She remained calm and kept her cool; she could hear Jisoo's wavering voice. She was feeling guilty and Mina didn't want her to feel that way.

 

She knew Jisoo genuinely cares for her and there were times when Jisoo would do anything to make her happy. To a certain extent, she believes that Jisoo didn't mean to hurt her but she was too blinded by her own heart. Love is just cruel that way and Mina finally understood the meaning of it.

 

But it was difficult. The moment she hung up on Jisoo, tears fell immediately. Her heart was literally broken and she couldn't breathe. It felt like someone was suffocating her and Mina's mind was full of Jisoo's memories.

 

Sadly, it was the end.

 

She ended it.

 

She wasn't in the wrong but yet she took the responsibility.

 

Goodbye Jisoo unnie. I hope you find love soon. Be happy, sweetheart. I'll never forget you.

 

-

 

Jennie bit her lower lip when she saw the tears in Jisoo's eyes. She knew about Mina because Jisoo was screaming into the phone earlier on. Jennie was awakened by Jisoo's cries and she quickly wrapped her arms around her.

 

"Mina has left me. Mina broke up with me!"

 

That was all Jisoo could say and Jennie felt responsible for it. She apologised again and again but Jisoo kept crying.

 

It must have hurt so badly. Jennie must have felt the pain as well.

 

"Jisoo..."

 

"It's my fault."

 

"Jisoo..."

 

"Mina's heart is broken because of me."

 

Jennie could only tighten her grip around Jisoo.

 

"I'm sorry Mina."

 

Both ladies cried together. Jennie finally heard her own heart. She knew why she needed Jisoo here because she loves her. She has fallen in love with Jisoo but she knew it was just so wrong to confess her heart when Jisoo was broken like this.

 

So she hid it deep within her heart; hoping that one day; it will come to light.

 

So stupid of Jennie Kim to think that way but it was how it was meant to be.

 

-

 

Nayeon was standing just outside Jihyo's door. She couldn't remember how she got here. But she knew her heart led her here. She pressed on the door bell. Someone opened. She was stunned.

 

"I'm sorry for being stupid."

 

Nayeon spoke up softly.

 

"I couldn't get you out of my mind. And I have broken someone's heart because the only person I wanted to be with is you."

 

So decisions were made. Mina left. Nayeon went back to her lost love. And the two dumb fools were still hiding their true feelings inside for each other.