Chapter XXIV

The Old and The New

"This is insane!"

 

Lisa slammed her can of beer down to the ground. She had too much in Jennie's room. It was chaos. Jennie went amok and Chaeyoung was clinging on her ex girlfriend tightly. The other girls tried to calm Jennie down but Lisa couldn't take it any longer.

 

Jennie wasn't the only one feeling the pain. Lisa was feeling it too. It was probably ten times worse the pain anyone else could feel.

 

"Jisoo..."

 

Lisa's tears kept flowing down her cheeks. Her heart ached so badly. She took out her wallet pouch and pulled out a photo taken of her and Jisoo back in those days when they were dating. She loved the photo so much because Jisoo looked stunned in it. The prankster Lisa tried to kiss her and snapped the photo at the same time. Lisa chuckled at the thought.

FtcIYpud6PLJpHdjqERYOnsIzw5Xvx7EjrmtrYOqDaJuyZDG2gDzG7eXoK6vGXorD1wLsTa-j_M7qJXSF9L2VWghntnQkwVNTl4i34T-b8PTk1-DOEPJEsCHpUHc1B19pLBk_8_wczM (Photo credits to owner)

 

The thought of Jisoo gone forever tormented Lisa so much. She started to regret about everything – from the first day she decided to leave Jisoo for Chaeyoung. They could be happier together; Chaeyoung and Jennie would be so much in love as well. But Lisa resigned to her fate. Maybe God was telling her that he loves Jisoo so much that he would want her to return home earlier than what she could live for.

 

She was still drinking when her phone rang. She took out her phone and Chaeyoung's name was blinking on it. She wondered if she could be happy with Chaeyoung but so far, she was indeed. Chaeyoung cares about her as much as Jisoo did. She couldn't let Chaeyoung worry for her as well. She answered the phone.

 

"Lisa ah, where are you?"

 

"I'm just downstairs, Chaeyoung."

 

"Which part?"

 

"I'm near to the playground."

 

"I found you."

 

Lisa turned to find Chaeyoung wheeling herself closer to her. She looked around her area and there were only empty cans of beer. She quickly scooped them up and dumped them into the plastic bag; hoping Chaeyoung wouldn't notice. But she had already seen them.

 

"Why are you drinking here alone?"

 

"Nothing, I was just stressed out."

 

Chaeyoung stretched out for Lisa's hands and gripped them tightly. Lisa looked on as Chaeyoung caressed her hands gently.

 

"I know you're devastated as well."

 

Lisa just looked away; tears were already b in her eyes. But Chaeyoung knew better. She pulled Lisa closer and the other lady went down on her knees so that she could be on the same eye level as Chaeyoung's. Lisa stared deep into Chaeyoung's eyes and it hurt Chaeyoung so much to see the pain lingering in that stoic eyes. She leaned closer before cupping Lisa's cheeks with her two palms. Lisa felt warmth from those gentle hands and tears fell immediately.

 

"Everyone's worried about Jennie. But nobody realized that you were feeling the pain as well. Jisoo's your ex-girlfriend and I know you still deeply care for her."

 

"My heart feels so much pain that I cannot express it out anymore, Chaeng."

 

"I know, Lisa. I could see the pain lingering in your eyes. You've always known to be the stronger one but I know this news is killing you softly. I'm here for you, Lisa. I'm going to be by your side just like how you've been by my side all this while."

 

Lisa was surprised. Chaeyoung just smiled at her before giving her forehead a soft kiss.

 

"But Jennie needs you now."

 

"No, both of you need me now. I know you're slightly stronger than Jennie but I'm not going to leave you alone. If Jisoo really leave us like this, then I'll make a promise to her that I'll take good care both of her important ladies in her life."

 

Lisa burst into tears when she heard that. Chaeyoung pulled her closer and hugged tightly. The pain that Lisa was feeling inside slowly faded the moment Chaeyoung whispered softly in her ears.

 

"I love you, Lisa Manoban. And I'm not going to leave you. You'll have me by your side until the end of time."

 

-

 

Seulgi was searching for Chaeyoung as Jennie wanted her companion instead. She went looking for Chaeyoung and found her at the playground with Lisa. She didn't show herself but instead subtly hiding at a corner where both ladies couldn't spot her.

 

She overhead Chaeyoung's conversation with Lisa and her heart sank. She has somehow forgotten about Lisa and her past with Jisoo. This news was equally devastating as for Lisa too. How could she forget that? Seulgi reasoned that it was because of what Lisa did make her feel that Lisa didn't deserve any sympathy.

 

But after hearing Chaeyoung's words, Seulgi felt ashamed of herself for having such hatred feelings towards Lisa. No wonder Lisa left Jisoo for Chaeyoung. Seulgi finally understood why both ladies were meant for each other. It was only circumstances forced them to be apart and hurting Jisoo and Jennie at the same time.

 

Seulgi's Past

 

"Seulgi, I'm in love!"

 

"What?"

 

"Woo hoo~~~"

 

"Baby, stop whistling. You're not a cowboy!"

 

"I can be a cowboy."

 

"Shut up, Bae Irene! And Kim Jisoo, come back here! We need to talk!"

 

Jisoo rolled her eyes. Seulgi was becoming her evil sister again. She was a lot worse than her own sister back home but Seulgi had already promised Jisoo's older sister that she would look out for her baby sister in Seoul.

 

"Sit."

 

"Don't boss me around!"

 

"Just sit down."

 

Jisoo reluctantly sat on the sofa and Irene joined her. She was sulking away after her girlfriend asked her to shut it up.

 

"Baby, I'm sorry okay?"

 

"Apologies not accepted. You're sleeping outside tonight."

 

"What?"

 

"Deal with us later. I want to know about Jisoo's new love."

 

"Oh, right. Yes, Jisoo, out with it. Who is this person you're in love with?"

 

"You know I've been going to the gym lately, right?"

 

"Yes? Oh my god! You're in love with Suho oppa?!"

 

"NO! Oh my god, he's married for god sake!"

 

"Oh, that's right. Then who is this person?!"

 

"Seulgi baby, can you just shut it up and wait for Jisoo to finish the story?"

 

Jisoo grinned and did a high five with Irene. Seulgi rolled her eyes at them.

 

"Well, I met this girl at the gym. She has the nicest curves."

 

"Really??"

 

Irene seemed to be interested. Seulgi shot her a look.

 

"What? I was just interested in the curves."

 

"Whatever, carry on Jisoo."

 

"Irene unnie, that girl is mine."

 

"Who said I'm interested in your girl? I'm interested on how you fell in love with her."

 

"You know I love ladies who can dance well, right?"

 

Seulgi stared at Jisoo before turning to her girlfriend. Irene was grinning away. Jisoo smirked at her.

 

"So you were interested in Irene as well?"

 

"Ignore her, Jisoo. Her jealousy can get really weird sometimes."

 

"What!"

 

"She's more gorgeous than Irene unnie."

 

"I didn't ask you to put me down!"

 

"The two of you are so difficult to please! Do you want to hear my story or not?!"

 

"Okay, okay. We're sorry! Please continue your story!"

 

So Jisoo continued her story and Seulgi was smiling away. It was indeed. Jisoo was falling in love with this new girl. Jisoo's eyes sparkled each time she mentioned the girl's name.

 

"So when can we meet this Lisa girl?"

 

"Soon. I'll arrange a dinner for four of us."

 

Jisoo was clearly excited about that.

 

-

 

"Lisa, meet my best friend and her girlfriend, Seulgi and Irene unnie."

 

"Hi."

 

Lisa was shy and Seulgi could understand why Jisoo fell in love with her. The four of them got closer and they were always on double dates. Seulgi never thought that Lisa was just like them – an equally potential prankster and her jokes were a lot funnier than anyone else. It seemed like Lisa was the same as Irene; she was just a little bit smarter because she works as physiotherapy.

 

One day, Lisa and Seulgi found themselves waiting for their other halves at the restaurant. They were running late and Lisa was the first one who reached at the restaurant.

 

"They're late?"

 

"Yeah, Jisoo just called me. She said she saw Irene unnie and they're rushing over."

 

"Ah, did you wait long?"

 

"I came about 15 minutes ago."

 

"I'm thirsty. Maybe we should order some drinks."

 

"Oh alright, let's do that."

 

The two ladies ordered some drinks and they started talking. They were talking mainly about Jisoo. Lisa and Jisoo had been dating for almost 6 months now.

 

"I'm so glad Jisoo found you."

 

Lisa looked up; surprised by Seulgi's statement.

 

"Why is that so?"

 

"She was broken before. It was really bad. It took her awhile before she was out in the dating world."

 

"Oh, she has never mentioned anything to me about this."

 

"She will never speak of her exes if it was really a bad memory for her. Honestly, I've never seen her so happy like this before. You're her first girlfriend that makes her so comfortable."

 

"She's easy to love. She makes me feel complete."

 

"That's why I'm so glad that you're with her now. She seems so much happier now."

 

Lisa nodded and Seulgi felt at ease. She knew Jisoo was going to be in good hands.

 

-

 

"What the hell, Lalisa Manoban?!"

 

Seulgi barged into Lisa's place to find some other girl is in her embrace instead of Jisoo.

 

"Seulgi unnie!"

 

"You ! Is this how you treat Jisoo?!"

 

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

 

Seulgi turned to the other girl. Then she realized the lady looked awfully lot familiar. She thought she has seen this girl before. Her eyes grew larger.

 

"Wait, you're Jennie's girlfriend, right?!"

 

"Yes Seulgi. I'm Chaeyoung."

 

"What the heck?"

 

"Lisa's my ex-girlfriend. I'm sorry that things turned out to be like this. Maybe you want to sit down and listen to our story. You'll understand why Lisa did this."

 

Chaeyoung told Seulgi the reason why Lisa left Jisoo and why Lisa did this. Seulgi was staring at Lisa all the time; not knowing what to say or do. She was actually moved to tears after hearing what Lisa had done for Chaeyoung but when her thoughts changed to Jisoo, she suddenly couldn't find the courage to forgive Lisa; not as yet.

 

"Does Jisoo know this reason?"

 

"Yes, I was honest to her."

 

"God, are you playing with her feelings?"

 

"No, I wouldn't do that. I've always loved Jisoo. But Chaeyoung needed my help and I'm her doctor now. I couldn't possibly put my heart into halves. It's going to be unfair to Jisoo. So I decided to take this painful decision to let her go."

 

"You do know the consequences of this, right?"

 

"Huh?"

 

Lisa was confused. Seulgi sighed and stood up. She looked at Chaeyoung and Lisa simultaneously.

 

"You both know that Jennie and Jisoo are going through the most difficult times now, right?"

 

Chaeyoung looked away; Lisa was staring into space.

 

"I don't know about you, Chaeyoung but I'll look after Jennie for you. I hope you know what you're doing, Chaeyoung. And as for you, Lalisa Manoban, I'll never let you return to Jisoo."

 

Lisa nodded her head.

 

"You've lost your chance to love her. So don't you ever come back into her life! Don't ever come back ever again!"

 

-

 

"Seulgi, where are you?!"

 

Seulgi left Lisa's place with a subtle warning. She knew she didn't have the right to but she had the right to protect her best friend. Jisoo went through hell and it hurt Seulgi so much to see her best friend became lifeless. This time, it was worse than before. And the phone call scared the hell of her.

 

"WHAT?!"

 

"HURRY UP! JISOO TRIED TO KILL HERSELF! I'M RUSHING HER TO THE HOSPITAL! MEET ME THERE!"

 

Jisoo tried to end her life but fortunately Irene stumbled on her attempt. They managed to revive her and Seulgi was scared to death.

 

"KIM JISOO! ARE YOU NUTS?!"

 

Jisoo didn't answer. She just stared into the empty blank space.

 

"You don't ever do that again! I'll kill you myself if you ever try this again!"

 

Seulgi was determined to keep Lisa away from Jisoo at all costs.

 

-

 

"Seulgi unnie?"

 

Seulgi turned to find Lisa looking at her. Chaeyoung was looking at them as well.

 

"Uh?"

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

"Oh, Jennie's looking for Chaeyoung."

 

"Oh alright, I'll go up first."

 

Chaeyoung went on by herself; leaving Lisa with Seulgi. The silence was awkward and Seulgi knew she needed to do something.

 

"Why are you drinking alone?"

 

Seulgi finally asked when she saw an empty beer can in Lisa's hand.

 

"I just needed to clear my mind."

 

Seulgi bit her lower lip when she saw Lisa's red puffy eyes looking at her. But her tongue was tied. She didn't know what to say to ease Lisa's pain. Lisa just gave her a smile before throwing the empty can into the dustbin. She then turned to look at Seulgi.

 

"Are you coming?"

 

"Yeah, I'll be right behind."

 

Lisa nodded and headed towards the lift. Seulgi followed from behind. They waited for the lift together and when it reached, Seulgi pulled Lisa's hand. Lisa was confused and looked at the latter.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"Huh?"

 

"I'm sorry about Jisoo. I know you're hurting as well. I have totally forgotten about you."

 

"It's okay, unnie. Chaeyoung helped me a lot just now."

 

Seulgi smiled.

 

"I heard what she said to you. I finally understand why both of you need each other. You're perfect together."

 

It was Lisa's turn to smile.

 

"But I worry about Jennie. How is she going to handle this?"

 

Seulgi sighed.

 

"I don't know. I just hope time could heal all pain."

 

Both ladies felt sorry for Jennie.

 

-

 

Jennie was staring into space. Nayeon was with her; watching her from just now. Nayeon was extremely worried for her. After all, she did love Jennie for that short period of time.

 

"Jen, talk to me."

 

Nayeon was begging her to. She needed to hear Jennie's voice to assure her.

 

"She's gone, Nayeon."

 

"They are still searching for survivors."

 

"The damn plane went into the sea. How could they find survivors?"

 

"Jen.."

 

"I don't know, Nayeon. I wish this is just a nightmare."

 

Nayeon couldn't say anything much so she kept her silence. But she sat closer to Jennie and pulled her closer. Jennie just allowed herself being manoeuvred around.

 

"Where's Chaeyoung?"

 

"She went out to look for Lisa."

 

"I need her."

 

"Okay, I'll get Seulgi to look for her."

 

Nayeon left the room. Jennie was left alone in the room. Her mind was full of Jisoo and she could still hear Jisoo's voice just behind her ears. She wished she could turn back the hands of time. She would do anything to have Jisoo back in her life.

 

"Jen?"

 

Jennie turned to find Chaeyoung at the foot of her bed. She burst into tears and Chaeyoung quickly rushed over with her wheelchair.

 

"I'm here, I'm here, Jennie."

 

Jennie wrapped her arms around Chaeyoung and hugged her tightly. She went down on her knees so that she could nestle her head against Chaeyoung's chest. Chaeyoung swept Jennie's fringe aside before planting a soft kiss on her forehead.

 

"I'll always be right by your side, Jennie."

 

"Chaeyoung, I miss her."

 

"I know, sweetie. I know you are."

 

Jennie tightened her grip around Chaeyoung.

 

-

 

"Jendeuk~"

 

Jennie fidgeted restlessly in her sleep. Her forehead was creasing so much as beads of sweat trickled down her forehead.

 

"Jendeuk, wake up."

 

Jennie felt a stir in her left arm and she slowly turned to find the love of her life smiling at her.

 

"Jichu!"

 

Jennie sat up immediately and wrapped her arms protectively around Jisoo. Jisoo responded by pulling her closer and kissed her hard on her lips.

 

"Don't cry, Jennie."

 

"Jisoo, I miss you. I love you. I really do."

 

"I know that, Jennie. I really know that well."

 

"Please come back to me, Jisoo. We can start all over again and I swear I'll never let you leave me."

 

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm here to say goodbye."

 

"What? Where are you going? No, you cannot leave me!"

 

"Jennie, I'll wait for you in heaven."

 

"NO!"

 

"Goodbye Jennie."

 

Jennie was appalled when Jisoo was slowly fading from her grip; from her view.

 

"No, Jisoo! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

 

Jennie jerked up almost immediately. She timidly looked around and realized it was just a dream. She put her face in her palms and started crying.

 

"Jisoo, please. Please don't leave me behind."

 

She was sobbing bitterly.

 

-

 

Lisa was lying on the bed; Chaeyoung was beside her. The two girls stayed over at Jennie's place. The other ladies went home. Chaeyoung offered to stay behind to look after Jennie. Nayeon volunteered to come the next day. But Lisa couldn't sleep.

 

She kept tossing about on her bed. She was trying to get comfortable but her mind was filled with memories of Jisoo. Suddenly she felt certain familiar warmth wrapped across her stomach. She glanced to her side to find Chaeyoung smiling at her.

 

"Hey."

 

The eye-smiling Chaeyoung was looking at her.

 

"I'm sorry, am I disturbing you?"

 

"You can't sleep?"

 

"I was thinking of something."

 

"Or someone?"

 

Lisa's eyes turned watery again. Chaeyoung pulled her closer and Lisa turned sideways before putting her arm around Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung tucked her under her chin and hugged Lisa tightly. Lisa felt comfortable and buried her face in Chaeyoung's neck.

 

"Try to sleep."

 

Lisa nodded and closed her eyes. It didn't take long before Lisa fell asleep. Chaeyoung kissed her forehead.

 

"Goodnight love."

 

-

 

Jennie was in the living room; drinking her wine. She couldn't sleep. She just didn't want to. She had nightmares of Jisoo leaving her and each time she closed her eyes, she could see Jisoo smiling at her.

 

She couldn't bear the pain so she sobbed silently in the darkness. She was sitting on the sofa with her knees tucked under her chin; closely to her chest. The wine glass was hanging from her palm; and Jennie couldn't stop the pain from flowing into her heart. It was hurting so badly.

 

Suddenly she felt her glass was taken away and someone was invading her space by grabbing Jennie's body closer to her. Jennie looked up to find Chaeyoung smiling at her.

 

"Chaeyoung..."

 

"Hush now. Just try to get some sleep."

 

Jennie moved a little and Chaeyoung pulled herself away from the wheelchair. She sat on the sofa and Jennie went straight for her lap. Chaeyoung was independant so she was able to move around without anyone's help so getting onto the bed or sofa was easy for her.

 

Chaeyoung gently caressed Jennie's back and wiped those tears that kept falling from the corner of Jennie's eyes. Chaeyoung was obliged to stay up for the both ladies who are equally important in her life. She had to be strong for them.

 

"Chaeyoung.."

 

"Yes, Jen?"

 

"Will Jisoo return to me?"

 

Chaeyoung smiled and gave a soft kiss on Jennie's forehead.

 

"If you want her to return, she will."

 

"I want her to return to me, Chaeyoung. I need her."

 

"Then she will return to you. Trust me, okay?"

 

Jennie nodded. She seemed so fragile and vulnerable. Chaeyoung didn't like it

 

"But Jennie must promise Chaeyoung that she will try to be strong."

 

Jennie looked at her.

 

"First time you have to do tomorrow morning is to eat breakfast that I'll prepare for you."

 

Jennie smiled and nodded.

 

"Good, now try to get some sleep. I'll be here with you."

 

Jennie fell asleep almost instantly.