Summer Nights

Que Sera Sera

Nayeon and Momo were walking along the shoreline in a companionable silence. They arrived at Jeju that afternoon, settled in a simple yet luxurious bungalow that Mina had rented for them when their schoolmates are cramped in a hotel.

"C'mon Momo, convince Jeong to change roommates..." and pouted her lips at Momo. They drew lots earlier and Nayeon got Mina as roommate and Momo had drawn Jeongyeon's name.

"Unnie, if you're just going to ask me, you don't need to ask twice. But if I trick my roommate, she might not talk to me and I don't want to suffer her wrath. You are safe, you live faraway. How about me? She might not cook me delicious food anymore and left me to starve, so no Ma'am, with this, Jeongyeonie will have my loyalty. "

Nayeon linked her arms with Momo and leaned on Momo's shoulders. She kept making aegyo faces and pouted like a baby which make Momo laugh more. She pulled Nayeon to sit down on the sand under the shade of a tall coconut tree.

" Momo? "

" Hmmm..? "

" I wish you're the one I am in love with... "

Momo laughed." But I'm not your type. "

" No, actually you are. Maybe I could teach myself to love you."

"But you won't. Because all this time, it's Jeongyeon." Momo knows that Nayeon had loved her roommate since forever but she doesn't know if Jeong feels the same with her, though in fairness to her roommate, she takes care of everybody.

"But it's been tiring. She doesn't even give a damn about me! Maybe I should stop.."

Momo sighed. She and Nayeonie have been having unrequited love with Jeong (though no one knew about Momo's and she wanted to keep it that way), but as hard as keeping her feelings, she knows that Nayeon needed someone to support her.

"Unnie, you've had held on for so long, and you are going to give up without even telling her what you really feel?"

"I've already told her before, like in junior high!"

"And she said..."

Nayeon scrunched her nose. "She patted my head and told me I'm cute. And then asked me to eat because I'm just hungry to say such things." She pouted.

That doesn't sound encouraging ,Momo thought.  

" Am I that ugly, Momo?"

"Of course not unnie! You're beautiful. Bunny teeth and all."

Nayeon slapped Momo's shoulders and laughed.

"If I am beautiful why doesn't she like me?"

Because she likes Mina, but she cannot say that aloud.

"Because she's stupid,unnie. She doesn't have taste. Maybe you need to find someone else, who would appreciate you as you."

Nayeon was touched with Momo's words and put her arms around her.
"Thank you, for always being there for me."

"Anything for you, unnie. Always."

"So can we exchange rooms tonight?"

"Except that unnie, except that." to which both of them laughed.

***

"Where did you both go?" Ji Hyo asked, unpacking what she and Sana had bought from the convenience store.

"Oh just checked the beach. Where are the others?"

"They went to the art gallery that Chae has been raving about."

"Oh. All of them?"

"No, Tzuyu is on the rocking chair outside."

Nayeon went to see Tzuyu on the rocking chair, relaxing.

"Tzuyu, move a bit." 


"I don't want to. You sit there on the swing."

"But I want to sit with you."

"No."

Nayeon still went in front of Tzuyu and without hesitation sat on her lap.

"Unnieeee!"

Ji Hyo, hearing Tzuyu outside, sighed. "Nayeon is on it again. Poor Tzuyu. Should you rescue her, Sana?"

"Nah, Tzuyu's a big girl. She can handle Nayeon."

They can hear some squabbling and then silence.

Sana looked smug. "I told you so."

Ji Hyo continued cooking dry ramen and SaMo were helping her when they heard the front door opened.

"We're here!"

Jeongyeon went straight to the ref and got some cold beverages. "Argh, it was so hot. But the galleries are worth it." looking fondly at Mina. Mina smiled at her and showed Momo their pics in the galleries and rustic shops. She saw some pics of all of them and in some photos Jeongyeon had her arms on Mina's shoulders. She felt a twinge in her heart but pretended to smile and instead pinched Dahyun's cheeks.

"Aaaaaaa, Dubu is so cute! Uwu, uwu."

"Momo, stop, Dahyunie is mine!" Sana pulled Dahyun's arm and Momo the other arm. SaMo kept on pulling Dahyun until Dahyun pulled away from their grasp.

"Ok, ok, unnies. Dahyunie is going upstairs to rest. I'll see you both later." and she ran upstairs to escape the two bickering Japanese.

Chae entered from the back door and stomped her feet to remove the sand from her shoes.

"Could somebody tell me why Nayeonie is sitting on Tzuyu's lap?"

SaJiMo collectively groaned at the fake Maknae's antics. Chae looked puzzledly to her unnies. "Should I rescue her?"

"It depends. Does Tzuyu look like she needs rescuing?"

"Actually, no. They actually looked--comfortable." Chae shrugged. " I'll go up and shower. Oh, Momo unnie, there's going to be a party later. A festival of some sort. You wanna come? "

Momo looked hesitant. She just preferred quiet campfires over parties. Besides she didn't bring any cool clothes.

Mina grasped her arm." Let's join unnie! I mean there will be dancing and lots of food!" Momo's eyes widened. Dance and food are great combination in Momo's vocabulary. She looked at Jeongyeon, tidying the living room. Maybe Jeongyeon would tell her to clean if she remain at the house. So she looked at Mina and nodded. Mina pulled her upstairs, "C'mon let's see what we will wear tonight!"

"But--"

All objections swallowed when Jeongyeon called her. "Mo, help me set the table!"

Momo looked at Mina and sprinted ahead of her up the stairs. "Hurry! Hide me!" and Mina pulled her in the Minayeon room and closed the door behind them, laughing till their sides hurt.

***
"Wow check them out."

"The dancing twins--wow so hot."

"The Japanese princesses, they're so beautiful."

"Wow, their friends are pretty too, why didn't I see them in school?"

Ji Hyo has to roll her eyes. The festival was already in full swing when they arrived and they didn't mean to attract attention like this. They just want to stay on the sidelines, grab a couple of drinks and let their hair down. She forgot that they are friends with MiSaMo who are considered Japanese royalty in the College of Arts. But she didn't expect that the three would be this famous.

Someone shouted to the DJ, "Yah, play something Japanese for us! The Princesses are here." The DJ played something from 90's, Feel like Dance by Globe. Sana grinned and started to dance ily even if the music is pop and pulled Dahyun to grind with her.

MiMo cringed and looked at each other and then laughed. They just let the music take over their body and went with the rhythm. They just dance side by side with each other and just like twins, their movements were sync, like Yin and Yang. After the song, their schoolmates gave them an applause to MiMo's surprise and  had to bow to their audience. They waved and bowed shyly, embarrassed to get attention.

The DJ played another club music and all their schoolmates jumped and danced to the music, almost sandwiching MiMo and pushing them to the center of the crowd. The air became hot with the dance floor full of bodies grooving to the music and Momo found herself mesmerized watching Mina dance in front of her, too close for comfort. Sweat formed in Mina's forehead and her hair tossed to every beat of the music. Mina has that air of elegance and quiet grace being a ballet dancer for 11 years and Momo find it--y. No wonder her roommate fell for Mina, because if she was on her shoes, she would do too. 

As if she sense Momo's thoughts, Mina's eyes met hers and she smiled. Momo blushed. Mina gestured her to dance with her and she took a deep breath and tried to sync with Mina's movements. Mina flashed her gummy smile but held her gaze making Momo feels warmer than normal. She is never the type to back down from any challenges, but Mina--she makes her knees weak. 

After the dance, Momo pulled Mina to get off the crowd to get some drinks. But the MC, someone from the student council called Mina, Sana and Momo to the stage. "Let's call the royalties from the Dance Department to give us a number!" Mina and Momo shook their heads and said no but the student body chanted MiSaMo and the three didn't have any choice.

"Mina! What are we going to do! If I knew we will be performing we could have practiced something!" Sana whispered to the two.

"Let's just do something we all know the steps. Good Girl, Bad Girl?" Mina suggested.

"But we danced that in junior high!" Sana groaned.

"Well, any other?" They can't think of any other songs so Mina just told the DJ they're going to dance to Miss A.

There are already on the stage and they bowed.

"Konbanwa!" One word from Momo and the crowd went crazy.

"We are Mi-Sa-Mo from the Dance Department. Annyong!" the crowd cheered.

"Because this is unexpected, we will dance something that we had danced to in high school in Japan. Please look kindly on us!" Sana said cutely and she winked, earning a loud cheer from fanboys.

Their friends went nearer to the stage to cheer them on. It's not really the first time they will see the girls perform, since sometimes they practice at the dorm, but not as a full-fledged performance. Nayeon and Ji Hyo cheered loudly and Jeongyeon, Dahyun and Chae looked expectantly on the three.

The music came and Momo, from looking cute, suddenly changed expressions and turned to something, fierce, and y.

The crowd oohed. Jeongyeon gulped. She haven't seen Momo with the intense expression on her face and it seems the crowd was also holding their breath while watching Momo sing and dance in the intro. Jeongyeon heard someone at her back said, "That's Hirai Momo for you. She will really slay you." And Jeongyeon couldn't agree more.

Sana came in second and teased the crowd with her cute yet seductive moves and Dahyun cheered the loudest, it seemed. Minari, from being their most quiet friend had a powerful stare that could actually melt and made Jeongyeon's heart beat faster. hanged open when they went down the floor for the good girl bad girl part and the crowd really went wild. It seems like eternity when they finished and the crowd was asking for another number.

The DJ put on Bounce from 2012 and Sana bowed and apologetically went down the stage. This number is something that only the Dance Department had witnessed before and yet was very famous all through out the campus. The crowd went wild again when Mina and Momo performed technical and very hard moves, popping, high kicking , moon walking, splitting and gliding. At the end, Momo had to pull Mina on her feet and their movements were very synchronized.

The crowd erupted in a pandemonium and chanting MiMo and the two held hands and bowed graciously to the student body. Momo didn't let go of Mina's hand until they were down the stage and in the bar. 

"Woah."

Their friends surround them and gushed on their collective performance which took all of them with surprised. 

"I never knew--I mean I know your a good dancer Mo, but I didn't know your this good. I mean, the best I've ever seen--" Jeongyeon praised her roommate.

"That's okay. I know you're not really that interested on me, Jeong. Mitang, drinks?" Mina nodded and Momo left Jeongyeon wondering what the hell she meant by that.