Of Kisses and Hidden Feelings

Que Sera Sera

"Rise and shine, gays!"

Ji Hyo's booming voice from the kitchen earned some groans from all different rooms in the house.

"Ji unnie, 5 mins more, please!"

"Chae, check out time from the hotel is 12 noon and the bus leaves by then too. And it's already 10am!"

A lot of scurrying can be heard: doors open and closed and shower can be heard running. Ji Hyo muttered that these gays won't survive without her adult supervision.

"Morning, Ji. Have you seen Momo?"

Ji Hyo pointed to the sala. Mina went to see Momo sprawled in the Sana, with Sana beside her, still sleeping. She nudged Sana.

"Satang, wake up. We'll be late. Plane leaves at 1."

"What--"

Sana rubbed her eyes. "Oh, shoot!"

Sana rushed to their room, leaving Momo still asleep. Voices can be heard going down the stairs.

"Good morning Minari! Oh, is that Momo?"

Jeongyeon placed Nayeon, whom she carried down the stairs to the other sofa. She held some of Momo's hair and tried to tickle her nose with it. It woke up Momo in a  instant and earned a slap on Jeongyeon's arm.

" Yah! "

" We're leaving. We are leaving you behind if you can't be ready in 10 minutes!"

Momo combed her hair with her fingers and rubbed her eyes. She can't believe she got drunk with just a few cans of beer. Now she has a splitting headache.

"Yah, Momo what's that on your jaw?!" Nayeon's high pitched voice woke Momo's sleeping consciousness.

"What--"

"Don't tell me--

Momo tried to touch her jaw and wiped the part Nayeon pointed. Lipstick. Sana must have been beside herself last night, probably more drunk than her. She shrugged.

" Sana must be very drunk. She's so clingy when she's drunk. "

" Sana kissed you?!" Mina looked bewildered. Momo shrugged. 
"It's a common occurance when Sana is drunk. It's nothing."

"IT'S NOTHING???!" All her three friends looked incredulous at her.

Momo rolled her eyes. "We've been friends since we were teens. We've seen each other . We took a bath together when we were children. What we have is purely platonic."

"Okay, what have I just heard?? TMI!" Momo rolled her eyes at Chaeyoung who was going down the stairs. "You are kissing Sana-unnie?!"

Momo is ready to throw hands. 
"That's it, I am going to shower." Momo left her friends gawking at her.

After thirty minutes she went down to  a noisy dining table. She saw Sana in the center of the crowd, laughing and certainly very flustered.

"Oi Momo! Good thing you're here! These people just won't believe me."

"Believe you what?"

"That we kiss."

"So?"

Ji Hyo intervened. "So we don't believe that two persons can just be friends and not fall for the other person, especially when there are..uh..kissing involved."

Momo raised an eyebrow. Sana was silently laughing and looked at her like saying 'let's prove these gays they are wrong'. Momo smiled slyly and went to where Sana is standing and caught her lips.

Their friends gasped and the room became silent but Momo and Sana are still kissing passionately. Momo could swear she heard someone gulped, she just didn't know who.

"Okay, okay, that's enough, there are kids and you are kissing in front of my cereal!" Ji Hyo as she pulled Sana by the arm and Mina was pulling Momo on the other end.

SaMo was laughing and hi-fived. Both of them didn't look affected at all, like it's the most normal thing in the world. They can't say the same though with their other friends. All of them have their mouths hanging open.

"How--"

"Close your mouth Jeong. Muffins?" Momo was grinning ear to ear. The look on their friends' face is so funny.

"So. Are you guys, gay?" It was Tzuyu. She looked so solemn that Momo have to go to her and squished her cheeks. "Maybe. Would you hate me if I am?" 
Tzuyu shook her head.

"Since when have you been doing this?" It was Dahyun, pretending to look nonchalant while eating her pancakes. But the blush on her face gave her away.

SaMo doubled over laughing. "Why are you guys so serious? We are just so familiar with each other that this.. This is just like we are sisters!"

"No sisters kiss like that."

Sana eyed Nayeon and look at her lips. "You wanna try Nayeonie?" 
Nayeon gulped at Sana's looking atvher flirtily.

'Satang, quit flirting easily with others."

"I am not!"

"You were!"

"Okay, okay guys! Let's just finish eating, bring down your things so we can go to the bus. Let's just forget this conversation and what we saw today." Ji Hyo nudged the other who looked like still in a trance.

As if they can forget it just like that?

***
The trip back to Seoul was quiet, not that they intended it to be. It was not awkward, but they are all deep in their own thoughts. Jeongyeon looked at the back of the bus, where SaMo are sleeping, with their mouths open. Jeongyeon got her phone and took a picture of the two before she went back to her seat beside Chaeyoung.

"Bro, why so serious?"

"Nothing, just thinking about earlier this morning."

" so do you think they are gay? "

Jeongyeon shrugged." I don't know who Momo likes so I don't want to speculate. And she and Sana goes way back. So maybe they're really just great friends."

"You and Nayeonie goes way back too. Do you have the urge to kiss her just because?"

Jeongyeon shuddered. "Of course not!"

"See? Maybe they really have something going on."

Jeongyeon felt stomach lurched. Is there truth to what Chae is saying?

"Anyway, if they have something, it's up to them, Chae. Why?"

Chaeyoung was frowning. "I dunno... But don't tell me that you didn't feel anything when you saw them kissing. Because I definitely felt something.. And if Sana-unnie is gay..." Chae looked pensive and stared outside their window.

Did she feel anything? She was going to pull Momo but Mina beat her into it. She glanced at Mina who was sitting behind her. She looked serious and her eyes kinda looked red.

Is she crying? Why?

--

Days passed by like a blur to Momo after the school trip. She made it a point to be very busy to distract herself from the turmoil  that she had been feeling lately. So to divert her attention, she also accepted some choreography stints from students from other colleges so she can also earn some extra money. She goes out of the dorm beform the sun rise and goes home very late. Which doesn't escape her roommate.

"Are you avoiding me, Momo?" Jeong asked while she was about to leave the dorm.

 She avoided her roommates eyes and pretended to fix her shoelaces.
"Been very busy Jeong, with all those term papers and stuff. Why?"

 

"Before we always eat breakfast before we go to uni, bit now, you leave even before I wake up. Somethings up, you were never early for class."

"I'm just im the lib."

"Sleeping."


"No!"

"Mina said so."   Darn.


"I just rested my eyes. It got tired."

"Momo..."

"I gotta leave now, you have your breakfast with Nayeonie. Probably she's already in the cafe waiting for you." With that she left without waiting for her reply.

Stupid, coward Momo.

--

"And then Momo tried to iron the print on the t-shirt but it sticked to the iron and made a huge gaping hole in my favorite limited edition Idol room tshirt, I mean who is stupid enough to do that?" Jeongyeon laughed loudly at that memory. Eventually Momo had to give her hers to replace the tshirt she ruined. Nayeon gave a small smile and twirled the spaghetti in front of her lost in thought.
 

"You like her."
 

"Who?"
 

"Momo."
 

"Of course I like her. She's my roommate."
 

"No, like, like her."
 

Jeongyeon stared at Nayeon like she grew three heads. "Nah, we're just friends." 
 

"Ok if you say so."
 

Nayeon's smile was brighter for the rest of the day. 

--

Mina wondered why she is in the library. She was not exactly the studious type. But she's there first thing in the morning, looking outside the window, to the school gate, as if waiting for someone. Everyday for the past 5 days. 
 

"Hey, Momoring." 
 

Momo looked up at me and smiled. 
 

"Minari." 
 

"what are you doing here in the lib?" 
 

"Nothing. Just have no place to stay." 
 

"You and Jeong had argued?" 
 

"No." 
 

Minari became more confused. 
 

"Then, why--" 

 

"Minari, what if you like somebody, but that somebody likes somebody else." 
 

Mina's heart thump. Does she know? 
 

"Are we talking about you?"
 

She shrugged. 'Hypothetically.Do you still tell that person you like her even if you know she won't like you back?' 
 

Mina looked at Momo at the eyes, making Momo uncomfortable. 
 

"Is she worth the pain?" 
 

"I dunno. But I don't want to ruin a friendship over a stupid confession that would make it all awkward."
 

Mina moved closer to Momo. 
 

"What if I tell you I like you?"
 

Momo was taken aback. She laughed nervously. "That' s funny Minari."
 

"So what do you think?"
 

"What do I think what?"
 

"How do you feel? I mean if tell you I like you, would you feel awkward around me, especially when you like someone else?"
 

Momo was silent. "Are we still doing this hypothetically?"
 

"Yes of course Momo, this is just hypothetical-- so we could have answers to your question." 
 

"If.. Someone confess to me like that, it' s quite embarrasing how to turn it down. And I think I will be burdened with a guilty feeling that she liked me but I cannot return her feelings."
 

Mina seemed to think about her answer. "But what if, you just don't know if that person has the same feelings that you have? Wouldn't risking worth it?"

Just then, Momo saw familiar figures entering the school gates, arms links with each other, smiles wide. Feeling her heart broken into thousand of pieces, She looked away from the window and met Mina's eyes staring at her. Mina suddenly leaned and kissed her on the lips, surprising Momo. It was a brief, chaste kiss and Mina stood up and smiled sadly at her.

"You are worth it." and hurriedly left the library, leaving a very confused Moguri.