Sayonara

Que Sera Sera

“Hyung, you’re drooling.”

Jeongyeon was snapped back to reality when Cheyoung nudged her. They were in a kimono shop where Mina took them to rent kimonos before they sightsee around Kyoto. Their flight is already tomorrow morning, much to their regret due to that they still have classes/work the following day that’s why Mina is going to tour them around Kyoto and promised to tour them in universal studio on summer.

“Huh?”

“You’ve been staring at her again. “

Jeongyeon nudged Chae on the rib and let out a loud Ow! that everybody looked at them. The girl whom Jeongyeon was gawking at tilted her head on the side and looked at her questioningly before she turned again to talk to Sana and Dahyun. Jeongyeon blushed for being caught staring at Momo, but she can’t help it for the girl looked stunning wearing the traditional Japanese clothing. She can’t believe she didn’t notice how beautiful her ex-roommate is, being too in love with Mina before. She sighed. No use regretting now.

 “Why don’t you talk to her Hyung instead of just staring at her?”

“I--- it’s hard Chae. I don’t even know what to say.”

“Why don’t you start with ‘I love you, I miss you, and I can’t live without you?”

Jeongyeon hit her dongsaeng’s head. “Pabo. She’s with Mina already. I can’t say that anymore.” She looked at Momo laughing with what Dahyun had said and she sighed again. She had told Nayeon that this is not a good idea---coming to Kyoto---but Nayeon told her that she needs closure. She grudgingly relented, knowing that Nayeon is also waiting for her and her answer.

“Tell you what, unnie. I will try to distract them and create a diversion. You grab that chance to talk to her okay?”

Mina already called them to proceed to their destination--Sanjo Ohashi Bridge. As they were walking, Chaeyoung went to Mina and struck a conversation and pointed to places and Mina laughed and patiently answered her questions. She then held her hand and pulled Mina to stalls and check out the goods that are being sold. The others also dispersed to check on the each of the stalls of possible souvenirs that they could take home, leaving Momo walking behind and checking the food stalls. Even alone, Momo’s eyes shone brightly on the variety of delicious food that are being sold.

“Do you want to try this?”

Momo looked behind her and Jeongyeon was offering her some churros. She didn’t want to be rude so she got one, and paid for the takoyaki that she was buying. She gestured to Jeongyeon if she wanted to try what she bought and Jeongyeon got one. “Oishiiiii~”

Momo laughed on the girl’s cute attempt to speak Japanese. The awkward atmosphere was lessened and they walked side by side, eating. Jeongyeon would try to point out other food and Momo would tell her what food it was and they would try it too. Then upon reaching a stall, they were both ecstatic to see someone selling tteokbokki. Momo gushed that she missed eating Korean food but she had a hard time finding a Korean restaurant in their area. “When you come and visit, I’ll cook you one.”

Momo smiled sadly and looked at the girl. “I dunno when I could return, if I can still return, Jeong.”

“Why?”

“I will start with a job on Monday. To a big entertainment company.”

“Wow. Congratulations, Momoyah! All your hard work paid off!”

Momo smiled on the older’s enthusiasm. “Thanks. I sent them a video and called me to start on Monday. How about you? Where are you going to work?”

Jeong shrugged. “I still have some subjects left. I will graduate on Summer.”

“Huh? Why? We are supposed to graduate together, right?”

Jeong shrugged again. “I failed some subjects and have to repeat again. But that’s ok. I had already sent applications or maybe I will start immediately too after graduation.”

Dusk had fallen and the whole riverbanks were lit by fairy lights. They stopped at the viewing deck and watched the beautiful scenery in front of them.

“Momoyah…”

“Hmmmm?”

“Why did you leave?”

Momo looked at the taller girl who was looking at the water, looking pensieve. Momo looked at the sakura trees which petals are falling on the water. She sighed.

“Because by leaving, I am removing myself from the equation. You will be free to pursue Minari. Nayeon will be free to pursue you. You could choose whoever you want.”

“But of course, that didn’t happen.”

Momo sighed and nodded. “I admit I was surprised to see Minari here, when I was expecting you will take that chance to confess.”

“I did.”

“You did?!! but why--?”

“What can I do? She loves you.”

“But, Jeong…”

“And at the end, she said no.”

Momo looked worriedly now at Jeongyeon and Jeongyeon laughed. “That’s okay, Mo. I mean, we can’t have everything in life, can we?”

Momo nodded and sighed. In the end, her decision to leave was in vain. It didn’t even help Jeongyeon to get the happiness she deserved.

“Stop it Mo.”

“What?”

“Stop thinking if I am happy or what.”

“Well, are you?”

“Am I what?”

“Happy?”

“What is happiness, Mo? If someone else if hurting because of my pursuit to happiness? Happiness is fleeting… I am happy now, standing beside you. But when we leave, I know this happiness I feel…well, I’ll return to my normal life. How about you? You and Mina huh? Are you happy?”

Momo pushed Jeong lightly. “Are you jealous?”

Jeongyeon laughed. “Of you? Of course not! With Mina? Very.”

Momo pouted and Jeong inwardly sighed that Momo seemed not to get what she wanted to say. Pabo, Jeongyeon thought. She looked at Momo and tucked a stray hair behind the girl’s ear. “But for the record, those times I spent with you are my happiest.”

Momo blushed. She remembered those times they just cuddled and talk. Their kisses. Those times that they made love. Yes, for Momo, it’s more than a fling. That’s why it hurt so much.

“Jeong…”

“But of course, those are just memories, that I will just keep in my heart. I am not that selfish…as long as you are happy.”

“I…I am. I mean, Mina… she’s been my anchor. I felt so lost after---I didn’t expect that…but I promised that I will stay beside her until she tells me to go.”

Jeong took a deep breath and tried to hold back her tears. She smiled despite hearing her heart break. “So, are we friends again, Momoyah?”

Momo looked at Jeong’s outstretched hand for a handshake and Momo shook her head. Jeong’s smile slightly faded until Momo hugged her tightly. The Japanese girl sobbed on her chest and Jeong let her tears flow. Maybe it’s better this way, maybe they were really not meant to be. Jeong’s phone suddenly rang, followed by Momo’s. Jeong looked down on Momo’s tear stained face and wiped her cheeks.

“They’re looking for us…”

“I know..”

“Mo—“

“Can I just hold you…just a little more?”

Jeong hugged her tighter, knowing that this will probably the last time they will see each other, for a long time.

“Okay. Just a little bit more.”

Under the cherry blossoms and hundreds of fireflies, they just let their hearts talk what their lips can’t say.

***

Mina, Momo and Sana accompanied their friends to the train station to board to the train that will take them to Tokyo. Sana is having a tearful goodbye with Dahyun while Mina was instructing the others on their Universal Studios trip on summer. Momo was just standing on the side, looking at Jeongyeon who was also looking at her, her eyes sad. Their train arrived and they picked up their bags. They went to the platform and Momo hugged each one of them and when it’s Jeongyeon’s turn she whispered ‘Sayonara’. Jeongyeon hugged her extra tighter and patted her head. “Ogenki de, Momoyah,”and waved to the three of them between before they left.

MisaMo went down the escalators to go the parking lot where a car is taking them when Sana spoke, “It’s such a shame that Jeong graduated later than us, I mean, she could have started at that restaurant she was eyeing for.”

“Why did she got behind with her subjects anyway?” Momo asked. Sana stopped and look incredulously at Momo. “You didn’t know, Momoring?”

“Know what?”

Sana looked at Mina and Mina sighed. Apparently, Mina didn’t tell Momo.

“What, Satang?”

Mina nodded and Sana sighed. “Well, the reason why Jeong failed her subjects, is that…after you left, she..well..she didn’t even leave the dorm. If Ji Hyo didn’t visit her, she would not eat nor sleep. She was just crying and kept on blaming herself. She was so… depressed to the point she didn’t go to school anymore. We had to call her family to bring her home. She was…not her normal self anymore. Mina talked to her and she was somewhat became okay. But she became widrawn and quiet unlike before..and well, this is actually the first time in the long time I saw her smile.”

Momo stopped on her tracks. She…did that to Jeongyeon? Why did Jeongyeon do that? She should have been happy right? Wae?

Momo suddenly pivoted and ran towards the escalators again. ‘Momoring, where are you going?”

“I—just wait for me, I just need to tell Jeong something…”

“But their train—“

“I’ll just be down in a minute!”

Momo ran and checked the clock. Two minutes. She cursed herself, why? Why didn’t she know this? She thought by leaving, Jeong will be happy. But in the contrary, she just gave her pain.

“Jeong! Jeong!”

Jeongyeon who was about to enter the train stopped and her eyebrows furrowed. Why is Momo here?

Momo threw herself to Jeongyeon and hugged her. “I’m sorry… I am so sorry…”

“Sorry for what?”

“Please…..just know… I didn’t mean to hurt you….I am so sorry….” Jeong hugged her tight too but Momo pushed her when the bell rang, signaling that the train door will close.

Jeongyeon entered the train and the door closed. She mouthed, “Don’t cry,” and smiled and waved tearfully. Momo ran alongside the train until it gathered speed and disappeared from Momo’s sight. Momo panted and fall on her knees on the platform floor, crying once more for the time and love that she had lost forever.