Mixed and Unrequited Feelings

Que Sera Sera

They've been childhood friends--best friends at that-but Nayeon doesn't know why she has to ask Momo for help to spend time with Jeongyeon--they've been practically inseparable before she had became that 'girl I used to know'. And it hurts her.

She, Jeongyeon, was the person she looked up to the most when they were children--she always stood up to her bullies, cheer her up when she's sad, and been her number one supporter when she enters singing competitions. Jeongyeon was her world.

They are still friends now but as college students with different majors and activities, it seems like they're becoming different persons--and she's afraid that she and Jeongyeon had drifted apart. Jeongyeon is mostly hanging out with the artsy junior Chaeyoung who had became their friend because of Jeongyeon's part time at the coffee shop.

It's actually funny that their circle of friends went from two to nine, and Nayeon is having difficulty to spend time with her best friend without having to share her with the others. Thus, she is asking now Jeongyeon's roommate, Momo for help.

Momo, along side with her two bestfriends, Sana and Mina had moved in from Japan three years ago, and just knowing few korean words, Jeongyeon took the three of them in their circle of friends. Sana and Mina are renting as bed spacers in their apartment, along with Ji Hyo, and with no extra space, Momo had became Jeongyeon's roommate. Nayeon could have moved to Jeongyeon's dorm if not only it's her aunt who owns the apartment they are staying now.

"Momo, what do you think? Should I do the baked mac or the carbonara? Which do you think Jeongyeon would like to eat?"

"She would eat anything unnie, you know her."

"I know, it's just that--"

"Then do the bake mac. I think they just did pasta fettuccine in their class she might not like to eat that yet."

"uhm, Momo, are you going out somewhere tonight?"

"Nothing in particular, why?"

"uhm, nothing! Mina was actually asking for help on one of her projects, and she was asking if you could come over tonight?"

Nayeon crossed her fingers at her back. Minari didn't exactly need any help, but she knew the youngest Japanese is smitten with Momo she might even thank her for this later.

Momo looks skeptical. She just talked to Mina over text and she didn't mention any need asking for her help. She sighed. Nayeon unnie probably need her out of the house to be able to spend time with her roommate. She might not be the brightest bulb out there but she's not that dense. Isn't she?

"Okay, i'll go there now . Don't forget to save me some baked mac unnie. Or else." Making Nayeon hug her. "Thank you, Momo! Promise, I'll save you some!" 

 

Jeongyeon's head is throbbing. Their dish just came in as satisfactorily, and she was figuring out where she went wrong. She came home to the smell of something burnt. Thinking Momo might be experimenting again, she rushed to the kitchen, finding Nayeon on the counter, trying to salvage something from the pan.

"Where's Momo?"

"oh, she's with Mina."

"Oh."

Jeongyeon's shoulder fell. She was looking forward to telling Momo her day because Momo listens to her jokes and stories and reacts very well. And the fact that she's with Mina..

Jeongyeon sighed.

"I'll just change clothes unnie then let's see what we can do with that."

Mina. The Japanese beauty that Jeong has been crushing with for the past 3 years. Sana and Momo are both beautiful, but Mina? She's ethereal. She does everything with grace and elegance. She's mostly quiet and stays to herself, but when she smiles, Jeongyeon falls for her gummy smile and all.

Jeongyeon went back to the kitchen to find Nayeon almost despairing over what she cooked. Jeong took over the dish and chose the parts that are still edible.

"I'm sorry Jeong, maybe I had set the heat too high or.." Nayeon tearfully frets, feeling very frustrated.

"Don't worry unnie, I know you worked hard for this. Let's just eat, shall we?" placing her arms around Nayeon's shoulders.

Nayeon felt a little better and gave the younger a big smile. "let's watch a movie, Jeong! There's something interesting in Netflix maybe we can eat this while watching a film?"

Jeong wanted nothing but to lie down and sleep but Nayeon looking at her with her big round eyes, and pouting like a 5-year old, all her resolve went down the drain.

"Ok, ok. Let's do Netflix."

 

Momo tried to be very quiet in entering the dorm. The lights are out so maybe Jeong is already asleep. She tiptoed to the bedroom but as she passed by the couch she stumbled into something or to someone, tripping her and almost falling to her face.

" What the--"

"Jeong! What are you doing there?!"

Jeong rubbed her eyes. "What time it is?"

"Almost 12."

"why did you go home this late? Don't you know it's dangerous?" Jeongyeon scolds Momo but pulled her to her feet.

"I'm here aren't I?" Momo retorted.

Jeongyeon sunk back to the couch, but she pulled Momo with her. Momo fell beside Jeongyeon because she was still holding her arm and end up backhugging Momo.

"Don't stay out too late next time. Or atleast text me if you will be."

Jeongyeon hugs Momo tighter, resting her chin on Momo's shoulder. 
"Hmmm, this feels nice..."said Jeongyeon on her sleep hazed mind. And in just a minute she is already asleep.

But contrary to her sleeping roommate, sleep didn't visit Momo immediately, heart thumping madly everytime she felt Jeongyeon 's breath on her neck. Thousands of thoughts ran though her head until she just gave in and snuggled back to her roommate, holding to her arms so that she Jeongyeon would not remove her arms on her waist.

This is the first time that they had been this close, and Momo wouldn't certainly let this opportunity pass her by. She turned around so that she will be facing her roommate, snuggled on the crook of her neck, and put her arms around Jeong's waist.

Let tomorrow comes, que sera sera.

***

Jeong shifted on her side, wondering why her arm felt kind of numb. She opened one eye and see a brunette head right beside her chin.

It took a few moments to process what it is. 
Nayeon. Netflix. Momo.

"Holy sh--".

Momo shifted to lay on her back, and Jeongyeon had a full view of her roommate's face. It's only now she noticed that mole on her nose, her long eyelashes, and how her lips parted while sleeping.

Jeongyeon gulped.

Why are we even sleeping together on this couch?!

Jeong tried to pull her arm very gently to avoid waking up Momo but the action already did. Momo had turned left and she fell down on the floor.

"Huh?" Momo asked, still disoriented. 
She looked around and saw her roommate on the couch. "Oh, you're awake."

"Why, I mean, did we-- why did we both sleep on the couch?" Jeong asked.

"Eh? You don't remember?"

Jeongyeon shook her head.

"You pulled me last night, after I stumbled on you! I could have transferred to the bed but you keep on holding me by the waist! So I just stayed here." Momo explained, her cheeks reddening.

Jeongyeon looked incredulously at her roommate and Momo, feeling embarrassed not being believed by her roommate had fled to the bedroom.

Jeongyeon sighed. She was not thinking that her roommate had just laid down beside her but what could have came over her to do something like that? She and Momo are close, but not that kind of close.

She sighed again.

She stood up and pulled on her hair. She knocked at the bedroom but went straight to the kitchen.

"I'm going to make breakfast, Momo. You're going to be late if you don't shower now." she hollered. Momo didnt reply but she heard the shower .

When Momo came out she was already dressed for school. She was still sulking when she sat down across Jeongyeon who was already eating.

" Eat. "

Momo ate silently, avoiding Jeongyeon's eyes. She still felt embarrassed, thinking that her roommate thought that she laid down beside her on purpose. Of course she didn't, but if she is going to be honest to herself, she enjoyed it. Making her cheeks blushed more.

"I'm sorry." both of them said at the same time. Gazed locked, they laughed at each other.

Jeongyeon scratched her head. "I must be already dreaming last night that's why I cannot remember pulling you beside me."

"iie! I mean no, i tried to get off the couch but I didn't want to wake you! Gomen ne~"

Jeongyeon just stared. Her roommate is soo cute! She must be very nervous that she unconsciously spoke in Japanese!

"Cute."

"What?"

"Nothing! Uhm, I made you a bento, here, as an apology. Eat it well for lunch."

Momo's eyes twinkled at the sight of the bento. "You didn't have to--"

"Nah, that's okay. So that you won't eat that nasty cafeteria food. And I cooked extra, you might have some friends who you would like to share it with."

Of course. She knows that she always have her lunch with Mina. Momo's face fell a little but she tried to smile again. "Thanks for the food Jeong, I'll go ahead first."

As soon as she got out the door, Momo hit her head.

'Stupid Momo. Why did you ever think it's for you?' 
 

"Momo!" 
Mina called out to her friend who was sitting alone under the tree on the university grounds.

"Hey Minari, what took you so long?"

"The prof overtimed. What are you having?"

"Jeongyeon prepared a bento. She said you must tell her how was it."

Momo opened the bento and Jeongyeon was able to whip their leftovers to something delicious. Mina sampled the sweet pork.

"Hmmm, yummy! You're too lucky yo have her as a roommate. Imagine eating delicious food everyday?"

Momo laughed and gave her a little push. "I'll tell her you said it's delicious. She doesn't actually cook everyday, having her part time job and all. But I do love when she brings in extra food from their class, argh, heaven."

Mina laughed while looking at momo, imagining all those delicious food they were creating from culinary class. They talked about their classes together, since both of them are dance majors.

" MiMo! "

They both turned and saw Nayeon unnie approaching. They gave a little wave. Nayeon propped beside them.

"Eating lunch without me? Hmp!"

"sorry unnie, didn't think you will be having lunch with us. I know you should have a class by this time, right?"

"Well, the prof was absent. Hey, is that Jeong's cooking?"

"Yeah. She made a bento earlier."

Nayeon pouted. "Momoring is really lucky to have Jeongyeon as roommate. Those looked delicious."

Momo offered to feed Nayeon to which Nayeon squealed like a child.

"that's so delicious! I hope Jeongyeon make something for me like that."

"Oh, unnie so how was it last night? Did you--"

Nayeon covered Momo's mouth,and both of them end up laughing so hard, they had tears in their eyes.

"Momo!"

"What? So I left you to go to Mina--who doesn't even had a project--and went home late so you could spend time with her then you're not going to tell me what happened?"

Mina blushed. Momo could be very straightforward when she wanted. Nayeon inwardly winced.

" Nothing! I burned the bake mac, Jeong wasn't that pleased, but we watched Netflix instead. She must be tired because in the middle of the movie, she fell asleep and then I left. End of story."

"Oh, unnie..."

"So you have to accompany me to their coffee house later please? I want to see her again.."

"Can't you go alone unnie? We might ruin it for you."

"No! I mean, sometimes I don't have anything to say to her or I don't know what will I say, so if you both are there, it wouldn't be that awkward. Please say yes, Minari, Momoring, pleeeease?"

Mina and Momo looked at each other. Minari would go if Momo would so when Momo nodded, Minari agreed.

" Yes! Thank you thank you, I'll treat you with a latte! "

" well if you insist, throw in some sandwiches and chicken wings. "

" You play dirty, Hirai Momo. Ok. Lattes and chicken wings." To which Mina and Momo high-fived.