...Until We Meet Again

Que Sera Sera

Six months after

Happy Birthday to the person who has my heart! Good morning! <3

Momo smiled on the note that was left on her bedside. Squinting her eyes on the sunlight flooding their pad, Momo finger-combed her hair and went to the dining table. She grinned when she saw breakfast was served. She looked at the wall clock—it’s only seven. It meant Mina had woken up very early to prepare breakfast. She grinned. Mina never failed to make her feel extra special, whether it’s her birthday or just an ordinary day. She flopped on a chair and read the note on her plate.

“I’m sorry I had to go early, love. Early meeting with some boring old investors. Wished I could have cuddled longer with my favorite girl. But dinners on me! Wear something nice, I’ll see you for dinner at 7 at Imperial Hotel Tokyo.”

Love,

Minari (with a cute drawing of Minguin)

Momo hugged the note and sent a selca to Mina with her note. She wanted to call Mina but she knows she shouldn’t be disturbed. Her phone dinged with message of greetings from her friends. She smiled and read their heartfelt messages. All of them greeted her except from one. And she was not expecting her to do so. She sighed and put down her phone, and just focused on eating.  She should not ruin her mood again with such useless thoughts. Besides she had a dinner date to look forward to and she doesn’t have a dress yet. 

***

Nayeonie, good morning. I hope you are feeling better. Sorry I couldn’t come today, but I’ll see you in two days ok? You make sure you will eat on time, okay? Call me if you need me.

Nayeon rewinded the message left in their answering machine and sighed. Maybe she’s too hard on Jeongyeon, anyway, it’s her fault, not Jeong’s.

She repeated the message, hoping it will lift her heart up.

***

She didn’t want to leave, especially now but this job is something she couldn’t cancel. The client had paid big in advance and all she had to do is cook ordinary food. Not fancy food, but homemade style. She raised an eyebrow at that but immediately accepted especially the pay is more than she could do in a month in the restaurant she is working at now. Maybe after this, she could treat Nayeon at a fancy restaurant, or buy her that dress she was eyeing the last time they went shopping.

With that thought in mind, she had a surge of energy to start her day and cook the best homemade food her client had ever tasted.

****

Momo fished out a simple black dress from her gym bag and took a much needed shower in the studio. She doesn’t have time to go home, their practice had last longer than she had expected and it’s already 6pm. The hotel is not that far, but she wanted to at least look beautiful tonight. The hotel Mina mentioned is a 5-star one, she didn’t want to feel out of place.

After taking a shower, she dried her hair and applied light make up. Satisfied, she picked her purse and went out the TV studio where she is working as the main choreographer. She works long hours, since she is handling 3 entertainment programs, but Mina doesn’t mind. Being very busy herself with their family business, Mina also gets home late at night. Momo felt guilty that lately they were not spending leisure time together, though at night they made it a point to shower each other with lots of love.

 She was waiting for a cab when her gaze fell on a floral shop beside the studio and a jeweler beside it. Momo stopped. She suddenly wondered if Mina is expecting her to propose, anyway, they’ve been together for a year now. Butterflies filled her stomach and she hit her head. She’s really a pabo, she should have prepared way before, since ring shopping is not that easy. Besides, it’s Myoui Mina that we are talking about, the girl had everything. What could she give that the girl can’t buy for herself? So Momo picked the prettiest bunch of red roses for now, and decided to just get the rings before Christmas. Hopefully the other wouldn’t propose tonight, or at least not before Momo. Their friends would not live that down and she would love to do it for Mina.

She arrived at the hotel five minutes before and she was ushered in private room in the 30th floor, overlooking the skyline of Tokyo. She went to the glass window and just marvel at the sight below her. It has a very romantic ambiance and again she felt guilty. She texted Mina that she arrived but the girl didn’t reply. she tried to call but the line is busy. After another try the girl replied.

“Babe, will be a little bit late, sorry! But you can eat while you wait, since I don’t know what time I can come. :’(“

As if on cue, a waiter had arrived and served food and Momo’s eyes widened. Tteokbokki. Jajjangmyeon Jjamppong, Budae Jjigae, Jokbal and many more. watered, it’s been a year since she had eaten authentic Korean food. Mina really knows her well. She took a picture of the dishes and sent to Mina. Mina sent a sticker. Momo video-called her and Mina was grinning ear to ear.

“Liked my surprise babe?”

“Liked? Like? I didn’t like it, I loved it! You really know me well, Mitang!”

Mina laughed. “You shouldn’t act so cocky, Miss Hirai. I also love to eat Korean food so you save some for me ok? We’re almost done here, maybe I can finalize this in an hour. My bat is going dead and I left the power bank at home. See you later loves!” and Mina disappeared from the screen.

Momo ate heartily but made sure she saved Mina some. Fifteen minutes passed and the waiter returned bearing a bottle of wine.

“Ma’am compliments of the hotel.”

Momo nodded and then gestured to the waiter to put the wine down. The waited opened it for them and poured Momo a drink. The waiter asked if she could bring out the dessert and she nodded.

“Oh by the way ma’am, the chef was asking how did you like the food?”

“Oh, please tell him that the food were delicious! It’s like what we eat in Korea when we were there! It made me think of home and my friends whom I miss so much.”

The waiter smiled. “I’ll tell our chef that, Ma’am.”

“Oh.  Maybe if they can drop by here so we could extend our gratitude personally.”

“Chef will like that. If you don’t have anything to request, I’ll be going now Ma’am. Just ring the phone if you would be needing anything.”

Momo stood up and bowed. The waiter went out and Momo sat again. She decided to call Mina and the operator said that the subscriber cannot be reached. Where is Mina? It’s been thirty minutes since she last called and she said they’re almost done.  She paced back and forth, when she heard a knock on the door. ‘It must be Mina.’ Momo grinned and ran to the door just to almost bump to a large cake.

“Oh.”

Momo opened the door for the waiter bearing the cake and let the waiter enter and place it on the table.

“Oh, thank you---“

“Momo?”

“Jeong?”

They both stared at each other and said in the same time, “What are you doing here?”

“It’s my birthday.”

“I know. I mean here. What are you doing here?”

“I have a dinner date. With Mina. You? Why are you here?”

“I am the chef. The waiter said the client want to talk to me.”

“You cooked all of these?”

“Yes. I was commissioned to do so.”

“Huh? Mina did?”

“I dunno. Someone just contacted me in email… and it was not Mina. I mean if it’s Mina who did, I wouldn’t be here.”

They were both quiet for some time before Jeong spoke again. “Happy birthday Momoyah.”

Momo smiled sadly. “Thanks. And thanks for the food. That’s why it reminded me of something… it reminded me of home. It reminded me of the food you used to cook for me.”

Jeong didn’t know what to say so she was just staring at her feet and an awkward silence filled the room.

Jeongyeon’s phone beeped and she checked it. “It’s Mina I think. Wait.” Jeongyeon went out and after a minute she came back with a medium sized box.

“The client asked me to give this to you, assuming, it’s from Minari..”

Momo took the box and opened it. It’s her camcorder. Momo eyebrows furrowed. Why did Mina send this to her?

Momo sat down on her chair and the cam.  Jeongyeon looked around the posh hotel room. She wanted to give Momo privacy so she went to stand near the windows and marveled at the Tokyo skyline. Momo waited for Mina to appear on the screen. She was sitting on their pad, wearing a business suit. When did she record this?

“Momoring, babe, happy birthday! Hope you are liking my gifts so far! I have to fly Jeongyeonie from Korea to complete your birthday party! I know how much you wanted to see her, even if you will never say it. Because you actually did the opposite. I know how hard you tried to hide it, but I knew you so well, and I know that you miss Jeonyeonie a lot.”

 Momo gasped. How did Mina know that?

Jeong sank down on the chair beside her and was very quiet. She’s very confused why was she here and now Mina’s statements making her more confused.

“I didn’t know it at first. I know you really are so slow in replying to the group chat. But during Jeongyeonie’s graduation, everybody greeted her, except you. I found it weird, especially I knew you are already in good terms before she left. And I know you are happy for her but you didn’t reply to any of her posts in the chat, but you reply to our other friends. So forgive my Momoring, but I did what I know I shouldn’t do. I checked your phone. I did. And I had been very guilty afterwards.”

Mina paused and looked guiltily at the screen.  “But you know, I would’ve understood it more if you are still texting her. But what I couldn’t understand is why, you blocked her? You blocked her from all the messaging app, email, insta, twitter, to everything. It’s as if you acted as if she doesn’t exist, as if you didn’t know her.”

Jeongyeon nodded. She knows it too, when she had tried to send a private message to Momo but can’t, she knew. But she didn’t mention it to anybody, even Nayeonie because they know they will make a fuss out of it. So she just accepted it.

Momo just stared at Mina, yet cheeks were red. Mina was struggling with what she wanted to say—she opened , once, twice before the words came out.

“And then I knew. How you haven’t moved on. That you cannot bear to see or read anything that has to do with Jeongyeonie.”

Jeongyeon stiffened. She mouthed to Momo, “Is that true?”

Momo was dumbstrucked. She, she had been keeping that for a year, she didn’t know she was so obvious that she was avoiding the older. She shook her head and she lifted the camcorder and she brought it closer to her face and was wiped the screen as if she was wiping Mina’s tears. She felt like crap. Why couldn’t she move on from Jeongyeon?

“I know you love me, babe. So much. So much to the point you have erased her from your life. I know you tried hard, tried very,very hard to love me, and you do. And I do, too. Very much. That’s why I have to do this.”

“Nayeonie and I… we had a contract. That time, when you went back to Japan and Nayeon asked if she should just give Jeongyeon up, I told her not to. I don’t want to give you up without a fight so we had an agreement---that for 6 months, we will try our very best to make you guys fall in love with us. But in the event we failed, we have to let you go. That spring graduation day, when you both came back looking like you cried and so miserable, we knew. But Jeongyeonie surprised us by agreeing to be Nayeonie’s girlfriend so I just kept quiet. Anyway, you agreed to live with me and all is good. So we kept at it and just forgot about the contract. Until I found out about that you blocked her that I know, I can’t keep at this. So I told Nayeonie. And Nayeonie agreed. She felt that when it comes to Jeongyeonie, she had been fighting something that she cannot see…that no matter how she tried, she always lost.”

Mina was trying to put up a brave front even if Momo knew how broken she is inside. She never wanted to hurt Mina like this. She could pretend all through her life just to stay beside Mina. She doesn’t deserve all these pain, and Momo blames herself for not being happy enough for Mina, because if she only did, they won’t have this virtual confrontation right now. But Mina was not done. She squared her shoulders and looked directly at the camera, and Momo felt like she was looking through her soul.

“Remember when I told you that you have to stay with me until I tell you to go? I am telling you now… that I am letting you go.”

“What--?”

“Go back to Jeongyeonie. Go back to your happiness.”

Momo sobbed and whispered to the camcorder, “But I am happy…You made me happy…”

As if the Mina in the video heard her she smiled her gummy smile despite the tears. “I know Momoring. And the past year, you made me happy too. But I cannot force you to stay with me knowing that you cannot be fully happy. When I see you standing at our balcony, looking up in the sky after we made love, or that you are staring outside the train when we go home, I see that sadness that you were trying to hide from me.”

Momo’s tears are free flowing now. Jeongyeon didn’t know if she will hold her hand to calm her but she thought better off it. Momo had to deal this alone first, then maybe, she can help the girl pick herself up together. After some pause and Mina was crying in the video, she sniffed and wiped her face and tried to smile bravely.

“It’s your birthday, and I am making you cry. I still haven’t given you my last two gifts!” Mina smiled her gummy smile even if her eyes are still glistening with tears.  She picked up a piece of paper and held it in the camera.

“Surprise! So I bought this small building in Kyoto that I had renovated to become a dance studio, it’s being furnished right now. It’s already under your name and it’s just waiting for you and your future students! It was our dream right? However, since my parents have other plans for me, I wouldn’t be able to fulfill teaching in a dance school but you could! And maybe if I am in the area I could drop by and teach some kids ballet.”

Momo gasped and couldn’t believe what Mina had done. She is going to protest when Mina in the video spoke again.

“Now, now, I know that you don’t like people deciding for you and that you don’t want to feel indebt yada yada. But look at you two if we didn’t interfere. You would still be miserable in just pretending you had moved on and staying with the wrong people just because you didn’t want to hurt us.”

“So you resign from that job that you have in the TV station and just be a full time dance teacher. I know at first it will be scary and I know you will not know what to do, but with Jeongyeonie on your side, I know you can do anything.”

They looked at each other, confused. It’s one thing to decide for Momo, but it’s another thing to speak for Jeongyeon.

“Oh, I haven’t told you? Sorry, I get myself ahead of me sometimes. I bought a small space beside the dance studio, it looked so perfect to become a ramen house. Or a Korean restaurant. I dunno what you were planning to cook there, but it really suited for one. It’s such a shame to work in a restaurant as a cook, when you can manage to own one.”

Jeong was starting a protest when Mina speaks again.

“Na-ah. No buts. The sale had been done, and it’s being renovated right now as well. Kitchen appliances and utensils are included. No return, no exchange. Please… just accept it. It’s for taking care of me for three years, and another for the one year you let me spend with Momo when you can just come here anytime and take her away… I know it took you a lot of self-control and respect for us, and I can never thank you enough. So please, just accept it.”

Mina slumped on the sofa as if very exhausted but she smiled despite the pain. “So I will leave you to talk to each other but I hope you could just accept this. I love you both very much and you deserve to be truly happy. Don’t worry about me and Nayeonie. We are already aware that these are going to happen… Well, nothing could still prepare us for the broken heart, but hey, if you both could sacrifice your love for us, we could also do that to you too. And maybe more.”

“Jeongyeonie. If you hurt Momoring, please be aware that I am very much willing to take her back, so make sure to treat her right, okay? She’s my world, so treat her as the most precious thing. I know how you took care of her when we were in Korea but I hope you will not make me regret giving her up, okay? Okay? Promised me, unnie!” Mina held up her pinkie finger and Jeongyeon tearfully held up hers at the camera. Momo was sobbing loudly now.

“Momoring, baby. You won’t lose me. I would still be your best friend Minari. Please, don’t be guilty, nor think yourself badly. Please just be happy and I’ll be the happiest for both of you. I love you, but Jeongyeonie loves you more. Okay?”

Mina stood up and hoisted her bag on her shoulder. ”So I have to go, I have a flight to catch. I will go in a tour, just probably soul searching, and when I come back, I am expecting both of you in that dance studio and restaurant and probably married.  Arasso? Bye my loves. I’ll see you soon.” Mina blew them a kiss before the screen went black.

It took a minute before Momo to put back the camcorder on the table because she had been staring at it, her thoughts jumbled. What should she do now? She went to a dinner date, even considering of proposing to Minari, and unexpectedly ending the night with Jeongyeonie and no Minari. She went from flabbergasted, broken hearted, guilty, and now lost. She didn’t know what to feel until Jeongyeon grabbed her arm and told her to do deep breathes. She didn’t know she was hyperventilating.

“Momoyah. C’mon, inhale…exhale. Okay, Mo, inhale, exhale. Okay, now look at me.”

She looked at Jeong but it’s like not seeing her. Jeongyeon is starting to panic. She put her forehead on Momo’s. “Okay, we’re okay. Let’s do this one step at a time. Mina…wouldn’t like to see you like this.”

With the mention of Mina, Momo once again broke into heart wrenching sobs and Jeongyeon had no choice but to hold her tight. Twenty minutes and Momo is still clinging to her and Jeongyeon patted her back gently, therefore calming the girl.

“Why don’t I take you home? And then let’s talk in the morning? I know how exhausted you are and we need a clear head to talk about this ok?”

“I can’t go home… Home will remind me too much of Mina.”

“Is Sana here? I’ll call her—“

Momo shook her head.

“Maybe you could stay here, Mina probably had the room booked until tomorrow. Then maybe we could talk tomorrow, ok?”

Momo sniffed, her eyes and nose red from too much crying and if their situation is not that serious, Jeonyeon would like to laugh. Momo looked around the luxurious room, her heart felt hollowed.

“Could you, I mean, would you--- can you stay for tonight Jeong? Just—I dunno how to deal with this, I just don’t want to be alone. Nayeonie don’t have anything to worry, I mean—we’re not going to do anything that---

 “Mo, stop. Your blabbering.” Momo pouted and Jeongyeon had to pinch her cheeks. “Nayeonie already broke up with me. After my birthday…maybe she had already talked with Mina about this. I’m so sorry Momo, I didn’t want to come between you and Mina and yet, she just threw me here like this.”

“When we talked last year, Mina told me, ‘Que Sera Sera.’ What will be, will be. I let this rule me, I mean, I didn’t even chase after you went home, even I wanted to. Because I believed if we were meant to be, you will return to me. But I know it’s not fate nor destiny. It’s the hand of our best friends who defied fate and put us back together. So maybe, really, this is what fate stored for us.”

Momo nodded and yet looked so sadly outside the windows. “I love her Jeongyeonie, I love her still. I had learned to love her when she followed me here, and I feel guilty that my love for her wasn’t enough for her to keep me. I hope you will understand… despite what I feel for you, she—she has this special place in my heart.”

Jeongyeon took her hand and kissed the back of it. “I could wait. Even forever. I loved Minari for three years, and yet when she asked me who makes me happy, it’s your face that popped in my mind. That I miss your company, and that I feel hollow when you left. It’s like you took my heart with you when you left.”

Momo hugged Jeongyeon tight, their hearts beating in sync. She put her head on the older’s shoulder and breathe in her scent that she missed so much.

“Can you really stay here? In Japan? With me?”

Jeongyeon grinned. “Well, how can I refuse a free restaurant?”

Momo pinch her arm and pushed her playfully.”Yah!”

 “I’m Just kidding Mo. Of course, I will, if you’d let me!”

Momo hugged Jeongyeon again and smiled. Maybe, maybe they are really meant to be.

 

 

*****

Nayeon received a text and she sighed.

We lost, unnie.

Not that she doesn’t know it, yet she was still in denial.

 She was already putting the phone back to her pocket when it vibrated again. “Hello?”

“I’m going to Hawaii, then maybe to other countries. I don’t have any plans, just anywhere but here. Do you want to join me?”

Nayeon’s eyes widened. She would love to. But she has work. And no money.

“Are you crazy? Not everybody is as rich as you. I have a job. And bills to pay. And…”

“All expense trip. And if your boss terminates you, I could just hire you. C’mon unnie…I just need somebody right now.”

Tempting. She had wanted to go around the world, but don’t have a chance to do so.

“Unnie, we both need this so we can heal. And you cannot do that if you’re there in Korea. Cmon, let’s see the world! We can meet new people, maybe our soulmates are not from Korea? Cmon unnie, please…please…”

“Uhm…”

“If not, I’ll ask Chaeyoung…”

“Okay, okay! but after Hawaii, Los Angeles. Then London.”

“Deal. I’ll book you to Hawaii right now and I’ll meet you there, ok?” Then the line went dead.

Nayeon stared at her phone like it’s the craziest thing on earth. But maybe, crazy is what she needs right now. And maybe she could find love along the way, just like Jeongyeon and Momo.

What will be, will be.

-fin-