Pet

Possession

 

I woke up in the middle of the night and sat bolt up. I looked around my room quietly, trying to figure out what had disturbed me when I saw light coming from under the door. I slipped out of my bed quietly, moving to the door silently, and I listened as someone slipped into the room across from mine. I debated for a moment, before opening the door and seeing the housekeeper freeze in the hallway. I raised a brow and he lowered his head.
 
“Well,” I prompted. “Are you going to tell me why you are out of bed?”
 
“I wanted to check on Taemin, sir.” Key said. “He’s never been alone before...and...”
 
“Is he afraid of being alone?” I asked, both brows up now. Key swallowed.
 
“H-he hasn’t said so, sir.” Key said. I sighed and motioned for him to come closer. He stepped forward cautiously, anticipating a punishment he would never receive.
 
“Is he awake?” I asked when Key was standing directly in front of me. Key nodded quickly, regret in his eyes. “Then let’s go talk to him.”
 
“Y-yes sir.” Key said, following me into the pets room. I the light, and Taemin watched me from the bed, looking anxious.
“Are you afraid to sleep alone?” I asked him. He swallowed, looking at Key for direction. I stepped between them. “Answer me.”
 
He bowed his head and nodded. I turned back to Key, who was fidgeting slightly, and tilted my chin up slightly. He didn’t act the way the others did. Most slaves I knew weren’t so outspoken and sneaky. I took his chin in my hand and took a long hard look at him, before releasing him, making sure the whole time not to hurt him. He looked shocked, and afraid, but I had never seen a reason to hurt someone.
 
“You were sold into this lifestyle, weren’t you?” I asked. He swallowed thickly and shook his head.
 
“I was the son of a pet.” He said softly. “The pet died, and I became useless, so I was put into the trade, but I was born a slave.”
 
“I bet you know how to read.” I said. He tensed and nodded slowly. “Hn. Go back to bed. He won’t be sleeping alone. And tell the cook...Minho was it? Tell him not to worry about breakfast. I haven’t been shopping yet, so there’s nothing to cook anyway. No point in trying to spin miracles.”
 
“Y-y-yes sir!” Key said, bowing his head and hurrying out of the room. I heard him pause in the hall, then continue down the stairs to the “help” quarters. I turned my attention back to Taemin.
 
“Well? Get up.” I told him. He slid out of the bed, his pajama’s consisting of a too-large shirt that had probably been handed down to him, and a pair of shorts that just barely clung to his thin hips. “Come with me.”
 
I lead him across the hall and into my room. He halted at the edge of the bed, and I picked him up from behind and placed him in the soft comforter. He looked at me, surprise clear on his face, but then he dropped his gaze. Always remembering his place.
 
“Lay down.” I told him. “Get comfortable. There’s no point in you having nightmares and keeping everyone up, and I’m not about to let you out of my quarters. You’re a pet, after all.”
 
“Yes sir.” He whispered.
 
He slid under the heavy blankets and snuggled in, looking quite comfortable after a moment. I climbed in beside him and got myself situated, before I wrapped an arm around the boys torso and pulled him against me. I pet his hair until he relaxed enough to slip into a light sleep, then closed my eyes as well. I was on the verge of sleep when a realization washed over me, and I wasn’t sure how to handle it. It was just a simple thing anyway, and I was sure I could figure it out, but honestly, I had no idea what I was doing with all of these slaves.
 
I was giving them made up jobs, and honestly? I’d never heard of a male pet before. I looked down at the scrawny little thing in my arms and sighed. He could probably pass for a girl if I put in the effort, but why would I? No one was going to come looking. No one cared enough to check on me. My father didn’t even speak to me unless it was at our monthly meeting where he rewarded me for doing the only thing I’d ever wanted to do - staying out of the family business.
 
I came from a family of slave breeder’s and traders. I didn’t know how to do a damn thing for myself, and that was why I had bought the ones I did. But I was hoping I could get away with treating them more like employees than actual property. If it came down to it, and I had to crack the whip (figuratively, of course) I would, but I always remembered what my mother told me about catching more flies with honey.
 
I saw the world a lot differently from my father. When I was young, he would travel a lot, and my mother would be busy with her friends, so I had one way only to entertain myself - hanging out with the slave kids. They knew I was of superior rank, and it was something ingrained in me, too. But I saw no reason for that to separate us if there were no prying eyes. Outside of public view, we could be equals.
 
In short, they were people too. And people responded better to respect and kindness than to pain and cruelty. I wondered how long it would take for these slaves to learn this about me. I sighed softly, my breath fluffing the pets hair slightly. He made a soft sound in his sleep, then it repeated a few seconds later. It continued coming in even intervals, and I realized he was hiccuping in his sleep.
 
I would be damned if that wasn’t the cutest thing I had ever seen. I raked my fingers through his soft hair, marveling again at how well taken care of these ones were. He suddenly twitched awake, and I continued petting his hair, the same way one would treat a dog. He started to roll over, then froze, as though realizing where he was. I moved my hand to his shoulder and tugged slightly, and he rolled to face me. He had a small pout on his lips and he looked embarrassed.
 
“Who did you think I was?” I asked. He shrugged, looking completely airheaded.
 
“I wasn’t sure. That was why I wanted to check, sir.” He told me.
 
I nodded tiredly, then looked out the window. The night was reaching its darkest point, which would mean we would be waking soon, though for what purpose I still wasn’t entirely sure. I didn’t work, not even for consultations, but I still preferred to be up during the day. I closed my eyes and felt my breathing begin to even out, and I was suddenly surprised by the pet snuggling closer to me.
 
It was normal though, right? I mean, think about any pet you’ve ever had. They always want your heat. I smiled as I rolled slightly, and Taemin remained pressed against me. Maybe I could make this work.
 
-------------------------------------------
 
I don't know. I'm tired. Don't judge me.