Purchase

Possession

 

He was tall and skinny, no calluses, long hair for a boy, and a pretty face. He was not the type that was likely to sell well, so I wasn’t terribly surprised not to see a tag on him. However, I was interested enough to make a show of inspecting him. Good teeth - surprisingly white, lean muscle, but when he did the standard push test on my hand, I was a bit stunned how weak he was. I crossed my arms and looked him up and down, and suddenly I was approached by the seller.
 
“Please, don’t take him to be my standard.” He said a bit pleadingly. “He was born too soon, and the others did his work for him. He’s really useless.”
 
“Then why bring him along?” I asked. “He’s not good for breeding. Or labor. I wouldn’t let him in my kitchen. Everything would be broken.”
 
“I understand, sir, but the other’s listen better when he’s around, for fear of scaring him.” The man explained.
 
“So, you cannot control your own lot?” I asked snappishly. This was all for show by now. I’d made up my mind. “Then how do you expect someone else to?”
 
“N-no, sir! Of course I can, sir!” He said quickly. I raised a brow to him.
 
“Listen, I’m not sure I trust your judgment. You don’t even have a tag on this one.” I gestured to the thin boy in front of me.
 
“I didn’t anticipate anyone-” He started to say, and I cut him off.
 
“Anticipate?” I said. “So does he not have a price?”
 
“H-he does!” The man said. I raised my chin and made a show of my superiority.
 
“Let’s hear it then.” I said. He sputtered momentarily.
 
“Ten.” He said. I nodded momentarily. He looked about worth that. I reached for my wallet, and started pulling out hundred’s. ”Wh-what are you doing?“
 
“You said ten hundred, did you not?” I said calmly.
 
“Ten hundred? No sir. Ten.” He said. I looked up at him, surprised.
 
“Ten?” I said, pulling out two five’s. He nodded and took them.
 
“He’s cost me more than he’s earned me. I want him gone. Are you interested in any others? If you buy two, you get the third for half price.” He prompted. I shrugged a bit, and glanced around at the other’s, only to see one that was looking desperately at my purchase.
 
“Give me a moment.” I said, tagging the one I’d paid for and taking the receipt.
I walked to the one with needy eyes and he stood straighter. I could see him being good as a housekeeper, but not much else. I had him open his mouth, and saw that - yet again - the teeth were impressive. Clearly, they were well taken care of. The skin was healthy, and while the hair seemed a bit too well taken care of, a quick tug on it had him flinching, and showed the submissive side I needed to see to be sure he wouldn’t be a problem. I pulled him aside, putting him with my first buy, and continuing down the line.
 
It was easy enough to see which ones didn’t want to be separated. It was a trick my father had taught me - go for the ones that will be grateful to stay together. They work harder and more efficiently, and most often without complaint. It was hard for me to remain detached, however. Another thing my father had made clear, I was too sensitive for the line of work my family was involved in, so I was given a monthly allowance and a small house as long as I stayed out of the way.
 
I came up to a pair who were staring at the two I’d pulled off to the side, and raised a brow. They knew better than to look too eager, so they separated, looking anxious. I noticed the startling height of one of them and raised a brow. He smiled shyly, his perfect white teeth flashing at me. Seriously, what was with these guys and the great teeth? I crossed my arms.
 
“Can you cook?” I asked. He nodded, his huge eyes wide. “You’ll do, then.”
 
The last one looked a bit clumsy, but clearly had some good strength to him. I couldn’t really think of any reason I would need him, but I didn’t really want to separate them, and I could see the hope in their eyes. Well...I wanted a garden. He could handle that, right? I pulled him to the side as well, and paid a surprisingly light amount for them all, and worried slightly as I loaded them up into my car. They would work, right? I had to hope so, seeing as I had already bought a freaking pet.
 
I pulled into the driveway and up to my house. There were only six bedrooms left over after giving one to the pet and taking one for myself. There were, of course, quarters set up in advance for help.
 
“Help” they were called. Ironic, because that was probably what they cried for at night. Help, out of this lifestyle. They were slaves. To call them anything else was an insult. I looked at them all in the rear view mirror and sighed.
 
“What are your names?” I asked.
 
“Key.” The second one I’d chosen said. He looked up suddenly, as though realizing he had been too casual. “I-I mean, my name is Kibum, sir.”
 
“Key?” I echoed, then shrugged. “Alright. And you, the cook.”
 
“I am Minho, sir.” He introduced himself. The one I’d chosen to be the gardener spoke up next.
 
“I’m Jinki, sir.” He said. I nodded, as I saw Key nudge him.
 
“Is there a problem?” I asked. Key jumped.
 
“It’s just that..he usually goes by Onew, sir.” Key said. I turned around and grinned a bit.
 
“Onew it is, then. And what about you?” I asked, pointing to the pet.
 
“I-I’m Taemin, sir.” He said, shrinking back. I nodded again, parking the car and motioning for them to follow me out.
 
“So, Key, you’ll be the housekeeper.” I said, and he nodded, looking a bit relieved, before I turned to Minho. “You know your job, right?”
 
“Yes sir. I’ll make the meals.” Minho said.
 
“And you, you’ll be gardening.” I said to Onew. He nodded, and I turned to walk into the house.
 
“E-excuse me?” Key said. I turned to him. “What..will Taemin’s duty’s be?”
 
“Don’t you worry on that.” I said with a genuine smile. “He doesn’t have much to do.”
 
“Yes, sir.” Key said, still looking nervous as I lead them on a tour through the house.
 
-----------------------------------
 
I can't honestly say much for this. I wrote it a while ago and I've been debating changing it ever since, but..nah. Here it is.