Confession

Possession

The sun was beginning to set when I became aware of footsteps in the hall. I raised a brow, looking over at my door with mild curiosity only to be surprised when I heard a shy knock against the wood. I stayed where I was, not answering in any way as I stared at the door, seeing where the light broke from the crack under the door. I knew who it was, even as he tried to twist the knob.

I sat up slowly, trying to figure out why Taemin was being so persistent. I sighed, shaking my head as he knocked again. He would learn soon enough. At least, that was what I told myself as I lay back on my bed, my eyes closing so I wouldn’t have to see how long he stood there, waiting for an answer.

I was surprised once again, though, by the sound of soft sniffling. I glanced over at the door, trying to suppress the urge to go and comfort him, and a moment later the door shook slightly, as though he were pulling on the knob. I swallowed hard, shaking my head and running my hand over my face. This sweet little boy was going to send me to an early grave.

The door stopped shaking after a minute, but the soft sniffles were giving way to a heavier sound. If I had learned anything, it was that Taemin’s emotions could sometimes be more powerful than his body - especially when he was upset. The boy wasn’t exactly frail, but he was quite small. Those heartfelt sobs could easily wear him out, and I could see him sitting on the floor outside my door now. I felt guilty as I listened silently, but I just didn’t know what to do.

I heard heavier footfalls a few seconds later, and I saw the light spilling beneath my door shift again as someone knelt on the floor in front of my pet. His sobs began sounding muffled soon after, and I knew the other person was holding him in their arms. That pissed me off slightly, because I didn’t want him going to anyone else for comfort. I wanted to keep him all to myself, but the only reason he was even upset was because of me.

“Taemin?” I heard Onew’s voice saying softly. “What’s the matter?”

“H-he won’t let me in.” Taemin said, my heart cracking in time with his voice. “I don’t like it when I’m away from him.”

“Oh, Taemin..” Onew said softly, and it was quiet for a moment.

“I don’t know what I did.” Taemin said softly. “I...I didn’t think I did anything that bad...he was fine the night before, but he woke up so different...”

“He’s just having a hard time right now.” Onew said. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling my willpower leaving me little by little.

“No..it’s my fault. Everything was fine before I...” He trailed off, a broken sob interrupting his sentence, and I just couldn’t take it anymore.

I hopped down off my bed, going to the door and unlocking it, then slowly opening it. Taemin was curled up in the gardener’s arms, wiping at his tears with the sleeves of his long-sleeved shirt, and I crouched down without thinking. He jumped a little when he opened his eyes and saw me there, but I held out my arms silently. He scurried out of Onew’s hold and into mine in the space of a second, and I held him tightly against me.

“I told you it’s not your fault.” I said softly. “You’re supposed to listen to me, remember?”

“I’m sorry.” He said, pressing his face into my chest. I bit my lip, then pressed my face into his hair, taking in the scent I had missed so much.

“Come here.” I said, adjusting my grip on him. He wrapped his arms around my neck, and I lifted him off the ground. “Onew, tell Minho to stay with Key, alright? I don’t want him to be alone.”

“Yes sir.” He said, a look of relief on his face.

I held Taemin with one arm, using the other to close the door before moving toward the bed. When I set him down on it I felt like a huge weight had been lifted, and I couldn’t believe I had gone so long without him. I sat on the bed beside him, then began carding my fingers through his hair. He looked at me with a hopeful expression, and suddenly I leaned in, kissing him without thought.

What surprised me most was that he kissed back with no hesitation. His arms went around my neck as mine laced around his waist, and I pulled back slowly, staring at his damp face. He really was the most miserable-looking crier I had ever seen, and I wiped at his tears as his hands fell, all the while he stared at me with those wide, wet eyes.

“Better now?” I asked. He nodded, scooting closer quietly, and I sighed. I moved further up on the bed and patted my lap. “Come on, Tae.”

He squirmed into my lap silently, and I wrapped my arms around his small form, squeezing as he pressed his face into my shoulder. I kissed his head softly, and he let out a small sound before trying to cuddle closer. Being that there really was no room for ‘closer’ however, he mostly just squirmed around for a moment, and I couldn’t help the smile that came over my face. He was just too cute.

“Taemin.” I said softly. He leaned back looking up at me with a worried expression. I swallowed my pride, telling myself that somehow, someway, I would make this work. “I love you.”

“W-what?” He asked, his expression clearly confused. I sighed, shaking my head.

“I said I love you.” I told him firmly. “I’m in love with you.”

“Y-you do? You are?” He asked, his eyes wide. I nodded, looking at him seriously.

“I don’t have an excuse for the way I’ve been acting.” I said. “I thought that pushing you guys away would keep you safe, but...my father’s not wrong when he tells me I’m weak. I need you, here with me. I can’t keep hurting you.”

“Then stop pushing me away.” Taemin said, his voice sounding smaller than normal. I wrapped my arms tightly around him, holding him close. When he spoke again his voice was soft. “That’s not the only thing, though, is it?”

“You’re too smart to be a slave.” I mumbled, and he looked surprised. I sighed, shaking my head. “It’s Key...I just...I want him to get better.”

“Do you love him, too?” He asked. I nodded. I loved them all.

“Oh.” He said, a flash of hurt coming across his face, and I realized what he had been trying to ask.

“It comes with the territory.” I said, biting my lip. “I loved him before, but just as a friend. Then I spoke to my father, and my love for him changed.”

“What do you mean?” He asked, pure confusion on his face.

“Kibum is my half brother.” I admitted, feeling more and more free with each confession I made.

“What?” Taemin asked loudly. I nodded, then pressed my head against his shoulder.

“I’m a pretty ty brother.” I said. Taemin stayed quiet for a moment, then reached up to run his fingers through my hair.

“You’re scared.” He said softly. “That doesn’t make you bad. I would say you’re more...misguided.”

“Key taught you how to read.” I accused. Taemin puffed out his cheeks, then nodded. I flopped back on the bed. “What am I going to do with you guys?”

“You could just keep being nice to us. We don’t mind that.” Taemin said, and I looked up at him with a surprised face. He had his hand over his mouth, a light pink tint on his cheeks. He slowly lowered his hand, looking nervous. “Can I tell you something?”

“Yeah. What’s up?” I asked. He swallowed, looking around quickly before speaking.

“I love you too.” He said. Before I even had time to let the smile spread over my face I heard my bedroom door opening, and I looked up to see my father in the doorway.

-------------------------------------------

There we go!

I wanted to let you guys know that I do read every comment. I know I rarely respond to them, but seeing your feedback is actually what gets me to write more. So, thank you to everyone who comments, even once! <3