Behavior

Possession

I had developed a habit since that day. Every time I went out I would buy small presents for them all. Expensive shampoo for Key, a warm sweatshirt for Onew, a soccer ball for Minho. Taemin’s gift was a little bit different. He never showed a need for anything, really, so I just got him something that I hoped he might like - a necklace with a Rubik’s Cube as the charm. He wore it constantly, showing it off to Key with a huge smile.

For some reason, after that day, Key always seemed to be hovering nearby. It was fine with me, but I just couldn’t figure out the reasoning behind it. Shouldn’t he be more afraid now? But instead, he seemed to almost be afraid of being away from me. If Taemin and I were outside, he would stay close to the door. If Taemin and I were looking for something, Key always found it first. I couldn’t help but wonder what was going through his head as his watery orbs followed us.

I was sitting on the couch with Taemin one day, and I saw him standing in the doorway, looking uncertain. I looked over at him, then back at the screen where the opening credits to a movie were playing. I scooted Taemin over a bit, then patted the empty space beside me. Key looked slightly relieved as he came to sit with us, curling his legs up against his body as he relaxed into the couch. By the end of the movie, both he and Taemin were asleep, using me as a pillow.

I stayed where I was, looking between them nervously. How long were they going to sleep? Key didn’t have anything to do, being that I had given them all some ‘time off,’ but I wasn’t comfortable staying like that. I focused on sitting still for a while, hoping that they would eventually wake up, but after another hour of bad television, they both remained blissfully unaware of the trouble they were causing me. I eventually decided to come up with a plan.

I didn’t like it when Taemin slept anywhere but in my room, so I would have to move him to my bed. Key was a different story, however. I didn’t want to just leave him there, but I felt too guilty to bring him back to that small room. I eased Taemin off of me, resting him against the pillow beside him, then slid out from under Key, laying him against Taemin as I walked down the hall to my bedroom, opening the door and pulling back the sheets and blanket on the bed. I was coming back out when an idea struck me.

I pushed open the door to what was technically supposed to be Taemin’s room and went inside. It hadn’t been touched since that first night, and I really doubted he would mind if I tucked Key into that bed. It was probably more comfortable than where he had been sleeping, anyway. I nodded to myself, pulling back the heavy comforter and sheets, and moving back out of the room.

I scooped up Key first, smiling a bit at the way he whined at being moved. I waited a moment, and he settled down, rubbing his head against my shoulder and bringing his hand up in a ball against his mouth. I shook my head and carried him down the hall, easing him into the bed and sliding his shoes off of him. I pulled the blanket up over him and watched him settle into the bed, his face completely relaxed, before I headed out of the room and shut the door. I turned to head down the hall, aiming to go collect Taemin next, but I found him standing in the middle of the entryway, rubbing his fist against his eye.

“I was just about to come get you.” I told him, smiling softly.

“Did you put Key in there?” He asked. I nodded, and he came closer to me, stumbling slightly in his sleepiness. “I woke up and I was by myself.”

“I’m sorry, Tae. I was only gone for a minute.” I said, moving forward to catch him before he fell. He rested his head against my shoulder, his eyes opening and closing slowly, as though he wasn’t sure if he wanted to wake up or not. “Why are you so tired? You barely did anything.”

“I’m just comfy.” He said. I was surprised by that answer for some reason, and I found myself winding my arms around him.

“Well, come on. I think you would be more comfortable in bed.” I said. He sighed tiredly, and I lifted him off the ground, feeling his arms go around my neck, and his legs around my waist. It was like I was carrying a child.

I set him on the bed, removing his shoes and the pushing him over a bit so there was room for me, too. If I had learned nothing else, I knew he hated sleeping by himself. He curled up against me moments after I had settled into the bed, his warmth radiating against me, and I listened to his soft sleeping sounds for a few minutes before I, too, dropped off.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

When I woke up about two hours later, it was to the sound of heavy footfalls and rapid, panicked breathing. I sat up slowly, waking Taemin in the process. I slipped my feet into my shoes and opened my bedroom door in time to see Minho coming out of the bathroom, a worried expression on his face.

“What’s going on?” I asked. He turned to me, his eyes wide.

“N-nothing.” He said. I narrowed my eyes and he swallowed audibly. “I...I think Kibum got lost somewhere.”

“...lost?” I asked, my eyebrows going up. Minho nodded.

“I haven’t seen him since this morning.” He said. I saw Onew hovering at the end of the hall, his expression matching Minho’s. I sighed, shaking my head.

“He’s sleeping.” I said. Minho shook his head.

“We checked. He’s not in his bed.” He said earnestly.

I laughed softly, shaking my head and going to the door to Taemin’s old room. I raised a brow at Minho and pushed the door open, revealing the sleeping boy in the bed, his face only slightly visible, and his hair splayed out around his head like a black halo. Minho visibly relaxed, relief clear on his face.

“He’s fine.” I reassured him, and he nodded. “You can wake him up if you want. He’s been sleeping for a few hours.”

“N-no, it’s fine.” Minho said, shaking his head. “He doesn’t really sleep that well in his bed, so maybe this will make him feel better.”

“I didn’t know that.” I said after a long silence. I pulled the door closed a moment later, then went back into my own room without another word. I shut the door and went to my bed, sitting down and watching Taemin crawl into my lap. I spoke before I really thought of my words, or their implication. “What do you think? Should I let Key have that room?”

“I think he would like that.” Taemin said, nodding. I reached out and pet his hair, marveling at how soft it was.

“What do you think has gotten into him lately?” I asked. Taemin shrugged a bit.

“I think..he’s not used to being in a low position like he is.” Taemin said. I tilted my head.

“What do you mean?” I asked. He bit his lip, and I wanted to tell him to stop, but he spoke before I could.

“He was the pet’s son, right?” Taemin said. I nodded. “So..he wasn’t a worker. He was like...the pet’s pet. He just had to keep her happy. He was completely sheltered from the lifestyle.”

I stared at him quietly for a long time. It was the most I had heard him say so far, and it was more insightful than anything I would have come up with on my own. I felt guilty, more than before, because now I understood why Key was staying so close. He was trying to make me like him enough that I wouldn’t get angry at him again. He was trying to be what I wanted. He was trying to be like Taemin.

I felt nausea rolling in my stomach, and I jumped up quickly, running to the bathroom to throw up. I can’t say for sure how long I was in there, but about the time I was brushing my teeth I noticed Taemin poking his head around the door frame. I motioned for him to come closer, and he came to my side without a second thought.

“Are you sick?” He asked shakily. I shook my head, wrapping an arm around him wordlessly. He sighed, leaning his head against me.

“I just got upset.” I said once my mouth was empty. He nodded, then stopped, then looked up at me.

“Are you better now?” He asked. I hugged him closer to me.

“I think so.” I said. “Come on, we’re gonna order take out. What do you want?”

-----------------------------------------

Yep...that's the 4th one in less than 24 hours. Anyone else keeping track?