Thinking Out Loud

Je t'aime... Moi non plus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 17

 

As Jiyong and Sandara made their way back to the city of Seoul, only the sound of the radio could be heard. Sandara hadn’t made any comment after Jiyong’s confession the night before. She had just asked him to bring her back to the city. She didn’t feel like being alone with him at the moment. Sandara didn’t know if she was mad at her father for plotting against her and Jiyong behind her back or if she was mad at herself for not being able to make Jiyong settle down with her. What she was pretty sure of though, was that she wasn’t mad at Jiyong. He had been honest with her and told her the truth even if it hurt.

Jiyong would always be an atypical man, it was part of who he was and Dara needed to come to term with it. If she wanted to be with an atypical man, she needed to be an atypical woman. Well, actually she did already believe that she was different from the other girls she graduated with. Maybe she was more mature; maybe she had more manners because her very strict parents had made sure she got the best education whether it regarded academics or etiquette.

 

In theory, Kwon Jiyong would have been the perfect husband for her. But after humiliating her several times by hanging out with other women, he had lost the faith her parents had put in him and the Kwon family. Now, Kwon Seoyuk, Jiyong’s father had to try everything in his power to make the Parks forget about his son’s mistakes. Kwon Jiyong didn’t have much time left: if he wanted to run for presidency in four years, he had to get married as soon as possible with a classy, beautiful yet discreet woman. Korean people wanted to see the perfect modern family in office. They wanted to see a good father and a good husband so that they knew they could trust him. This was more important than ever, as Korean citizens seemed to have lost trust in the government after last president’s impeachment.

In order to preserve his son’s political career, Kwon Seoyuk had to work fast and for that he had to gain Park Jeesung’s trust again.

“You know how young men are Jeesung… Remember, not too long ago you used to be the same as my son. And so did I.”

“No Seoyuk, with all the respect I have for you and your wife, let me tell you that I was nothing like your son. Yes, I might have been a womanizer at some point, but I never humiliated a woman the way your son did with my daughter.” Jeesung, Dara’s father, said.

“He is young and has a lot of pressure on his shoulders. He just needed to relax a little, but he knows what he has to do. He knows your daughter will eventually be it for him.” Seoyuk said as he walked toward his cabinet and poured two glasses of Whisky.

Jeesung took the glass that was offered to him and took a sip as he started measuring his words. He couldn’t just tell Seoyuk to go himself. Despite what his son did, Jeesung still needed that contrat with the City Hall and couldn’t afford a bad relationship with the Kwons. He was starting to regret throwing his only daughter into the arms of Kwon Jiyong but at the time it seemed like a good idea to unite both families.

“Look Seoyuk, Sandara is my only daughter. I only want what’s best for her.”

“Jeesung, think about it. With Jiyong, your daughter will have everything she’s ever dreamt of. No other man will be able to provide her what my son will provide her.”

“And what is that? Years of cheating? Humiliation?”

“Sandara could be the next First Lady of South Korea.”

“Your son will run for president?” Jeesung asked, not believing what his old friend had just said.

“If everything goes as planned, he will be the youngest president of South Korea.”

“Of course you have a plan..., Jeesung pointed out, laughingly, but how can you be so sure it will work?"

“You know it will. Everyone is on our side. My son will be the next president and he will be the one to reunite the two Koreas. My son will have his name in our country’s history. Now it’s up to you if you want your family to be a part of this Jeesung. Just know that your daughter loves my son. Let her make her own choices.”

 

As Park Jeesung walked out of the Kwon Mansion he couldn’t help but think about his conversation with Jiyong’s father. The man was determined to make his son the next president of the country and wanted his daughter to tag along. His own daughter, his only daughter, could be an inspiration for all women in this country. But Jeesung knew that a wedding with Kwon Jiyong could either make her or break her. He knew his daughter would never be happy with a cheating husband. She was not like the other girls. Of course she wanted to get married to someone who had the same social status as her, someone who was financially very comfortable, but she also wanted someone who would be available for her and someone devoted to their wedding. Kwon Jiyong would never be someone devoted to his wife, because he was already married to his political caree. He only wanted his daughter because he needed someone to marry him and carry his child as he would start his presidential campaign.

But at the same time, if Dara married Kwon Jiyong, it is true that he would be able to give her everything she has ever wanted and she could still divorce his if he didn’t stop his cheating habits.

As Jeesung went back home, he met his wife in the living room and told her what was discussed with Kwon Seoyuk. He wanted his wife’s input on the matter and hoped that she would be against a wedding between their daughter and Kwon Jiyong.

 

 

As they arrived in Seoul, more precisely in the district of Gangnam, Jiyong tried to get the conversation started with Dara, once again. This time she seemed to be more receptive as she stopped looking through the window and actually looked at him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter