25.

Inhumane

“What do you mean it’s more than just a program?” Mark hurried into the basement and stopped in front of Sunmi. “Explain.”

“Not everyone’s here ye—“

“Everyone’s here.” Jinyoung’s voice echoed in the basement as he took big steps towards the group huddled together with Jeongyeon following closely behind. “So explain.”

Taecyeon and Sunmi then proceeded to explain that Bambam was the one who triggered the memory that Sunmi which she had a hard time remember since it was years ago. 

”Where are you bringing me to?" Sunmi struggled as the two men in black held both her arms and pushed her to continue walking. She looked around the place, it was similar like the basement Taecyeon and her had built. Except that it's bigger and there's this long corridor where she's walking through now.

This is a secret underground working place.

Her guess was correct when she was led into a room. There were computers and different machine attached everywhere. But what caught her attention was the young boy tied against a chair. He wasn’t conscious at all and it was obvious that he had been beaten up. He's definitely not in a good shape.

”What did you do to him?”

None of the men in the room answered her question. She turned to look at the young boy again. He looked no older than Bambam who's turning 14 that year.

Wait a minute— Sunmi stared at the boy for a while more; despite all the injuries and bruises, his features were still distinct. She let out a gasp, remembering where she saw the boy. It was the little boy in the family photo Mark had once showed her and Taecyeon. He might have grown but it’s definitely the same boy in the photograph.

“Oh my— .” She cursed under her breath.

"Welcome, Miss Lee.” A deep voice came from behind her; Sunmi turned around and saw a middle aged man in a suit walking towards her.

“Do you like this place?”

“No.” That was her straight reply which wasn't a lie. This place just smelled like danger to her.

“Then I will advice you to learn to appreciate it." The man smiled but there was an obvious “I'm a bad guy" hint in that smile. "Because this will be your work place from now on.”

“And what makes you think that I will want to work for you!”

“Show her.” The man ordered and one of the men beside her nodded. The next thing Sunmi saw was an image from a hologram. In the hologram, she could see a familiar building. It's where they lived but soon, what caught her attention was the snipers on the rooftop from the buildings around where they lived. “You get what I mean now?”

“Leave them alone." Sunmi shouted and threw the man a glare.

“Then make your decision.” Sunmi took another glance at the hologram again then let out a sigh of defeat as her face fell in despair. Even though she'd hesitated, she still agreed. “You're a smart girl." The man smirked and walked pass her, towards the unconscious boy. “I see you've met our newest experiment. He was sold to us by his aunt who's heavy in debt. We had managed to get rid of this boy's human needs but he still couldn't be in my control and that's where I will need your help."

“What do you want me to do? I'm no scientist.”

“But you're a genius when it comes to technology.”

“I wouldn't dare accept this compliment." Sunmi scoffed and rolled her eyes.

“I want you to come up with a program and a chip small enough for us to inject into his body.”

Sunmi's eyes widened.

"You want to turn a human boy into an android? Are you crazy?”

“Do you need me to remind you of what's surrounding your family now?”

Even though she knew that this would be her regret for life but for Taecyeon’s, Mark's and Bambam's safety, Sunmi agreed.

“They were supposed to use the serum on me once I’m completely brainwashed but…”

“Do you still remember the place that they did those experiments on Jisung?” Taecyeon asked right after Sunmi’s silence.

She looked up at him then at everyone. As her gaze met with Mark’s who was more nervous than anyone in the room, Sunmi nodded. 

“I remember now.”

The telephones in the headquarters of KC Telecom kept ringing. No matter how big the company was, the number of calls coming in were too many for all their customer service department to handle. 

“Have any of you found out what’s happening?” 

“Sir, it seemed like we’ve been attacked by a virus.”

“Seemed? Confirm it and find out where they came from!” 

Right after the manager shouted, Park Sangwon walked into the conference room. Every employee in the room stood up but was signalled to sit down again.

“Focus on getting our system back to normal.” He instructed. Despite his calm tone, Park Sangwon’s expression was dark as he turned to the manager. “Found anything?”

“We seemed to be attacked by a virus.” The manager reported. “Our system should be protected from any virus, this can’t be. The phone calls keep coming in and there are news report coming out every few minutes. Customers are now demanding for an explanation. At this rate, our stocks will drop even more.”

Park Sangwon listened in silence and after a short minute, he finally said something. “I have an idea who might be behind this… Keep me updated.”

With those words, Park Sangwon turned and left the conference room. On his way out, he took out his phone and made a call. 

“Nayeon, what’s the current search rank.” Taecyeon asked from his seat but his gaze did not leave the computer screen. 

“With the zombie pcs, the top 5 searches are all on KC Telecom and their system tapping on the privacy of their customers. It’s going to be a huge blow on them.”

“Good.”

“Taec, did you really train a bunch of young people to do illegal things?”

“Shut up, Mimi.” Taecyeon rolled his eyes but his fingers did not stop typing on his keyboard. “We’ve always been adventurous. Now focus on attacking.”

“Don’t worry, with the four of us their system is going to have a full shut down. Aha!” Sunmi grinned and stopped typing, turning to face the others. “Done.”

The three men in the container all leaned back against their seat.

“That was a lot of hacking. It’s been one whole night.” Bambam muttered and exercised his fingers a little. “We won’t get into trouble right? It will be best to not get the cops’ attention.”

“We will be fine, KC Telecom wouldn’t dare to ask the cops for help.” Taecyeon responded and stretched at the same time. “Nayeon, you rest too, you’ve been handling the zombie pcs by yourself.”

Nayeon turned her chair to face the others, letting the program run by itself now since there’s no need for anymore duplication. 

“Mine is nothing as compared to all of your Stuxnet attack. Who the hell taught all of you these?”

Mark and Bambam both turned their head to where Taecyeon and Sunmi were sitting at. The both older adults only gave them a sheepish smile as a response. 

“Anyway!” Sunmi shifted the topic to another. “How did you guys come up with the idea of tapping on others’ IP address? This movable container thing.”

“It was Nayeon’s idea.” Mark stated and Bambam nodded with a grin.

“Smart girl.” Sunmi smiled at her and gave her two thumbs up. “Or we might have been caught if we do such a big project in the basement.”

“I wish we could see those s’ panic faces.” Bambam blurted out. “We should have gave the other three a spycam or something.”

“Im Jongmin just left the building.”

The atmosphere in the container got tense again as Taecyeon sat up straight again when Jeongyeon’s voice came from their communication system. 

“I’m going in now.”

“We will get ready on our side here too.” Taecyeon responded and shifted his attention to his computer screen. “Jaebum, Im Jongmin should be heading to KC Telecom now.

“I’m all prepared to pick a fight.”

Jeongyeon watched as Im Jongmin left the office building. After making sure that he’s gone, Jeongyeon walked calmly towards the direction of Im Jongmin’s office. There was no need to hide since she knew that the CCTV of the buildings were all hacked into for her mission. 

When she got into the office room, she headed towards the desk and opened both Im Jongmin’s laptop and desktop. Once they are she connected a USB on each and opened her own laptop. 

Password required.

That was prompted by both of Im Jongmin’s devices. However, Jeongyeon did not panic as she began to type on her keyboard. In less than a minute, she logged into both of the devices. A small smirk grew on her face as both Im Jongmin’s laptop and desktop’s screen became the same as hers. That made things a lot easier since she only needed to enter the code once but to both devices.

“Jeongyeon, you have to hurry up.” Udon’s voice rang in her earbud. “His secretary is heading down the corridor.”

“I’m almost done.” Jeongyeon’s fingers did not stop but instead, she typed even faster. “Taecyeon, did you get them?”

In the container, Taecyeon’s and Sunmi’s screen changed to what it seemed to be Im Jongmin’s laptop and desktop system respectively. 

“Mission success. Get out from there now.”

As those words came from Taecyeon, Jeongyeon had used a program and wiped all history of her logging into the laptop and desktop.

“Leaving now.” She closed her laptop and plugged out the USB before she headed for the door. Leaving the room untouched and the same way as before.

“Jeongyeon, start making up an excuse.” Udon’s voice rang again. “You’re going to meet his secretary in 5, 4, 3, 2— Where did you go?”

“I work here, Udon. I know all the blind spot from the CCTV and hiding spots. She already walked past me. Now, it’s your job.”

“Job done!” Udon answered in a happy tone. “You’ve never been there at all.”

Back into the container, Mark and Bambam sat up too after they realised that KC Telecom’s system was slowing coming back. 

“Bam, they’re making a counter attack.”

“I know and I’m working on it.”

“Nayeon, send out more articles. We are going to break their customer services too.”

Sunmi couldn’t help but to snort even though her gaze did not leave her computer screen.

“Taec, what have you been teaching these children?”

“Everything I know.”

Jaebum had been listening to the conversation of the others while he stayed seated on the Park Sangwon’s chair. The back of the chair was facing the door as Jaebum quietly keep himself updated with the situation and the stock market. The corner of his lips went up, forming a smirk as he watched KC Telecom’s stock dropped tremendously. The sound of the door opening caught his attention as he kept his mobile phone back into his pocket.

It’s time to pick a fight.

Jaebum turned the chair around and met face to face with Park Sangwon who just walked in. Jaebum smiled, not saying anything while Park Sangwon stared at him in shock before he let out a chuckle.

“This was all your doing.” That was a statement, not a question. “I should have guessed.”

“I’m not a tech savvy person, Mr Park.”

“Mr Park?” Park Sangwon let out a fake laugh again and continued. “That sounded formal from you, I thought we were closer than that, Jaebum.”

“Unfortunately, I do not have the same sentiment.” Jaebum leaned back against the chair, the smile he had disappeared from his face now and his tone got serious. “I refuse to be close with people who tried to kill my father.”

“That is a very huge accusation, Jaebum.”

“Are you saying you’re not involved? We got the CCTV footage from the hospital. The day my father’s situation got worse, a mystery man went in. I guess that’s one of the androids you and Im Jongmin had control of? For men of your age, you sure have full knowledge on technology.” Jaebum stood up from the chair now as he felt the anger growing in him. “Oh right, you people captured an innocent boy and woman to help you with your monopolisation.”

“That’s another accusation, Jaebum.” A sickening smile formed on Park Sangwon’s face again. “The boy was sold to us willingly by his aunt and the woman agreed willingly. I’m surprised you know so much—“

“You threatened to kill her family.” Jaebum gritted through his teeth. “How is that willingly?”

“You seemed to be very affected. Are those people your friends who’ve been helping with all these? Have you forgotten what happened to your secretary’s family? And the new girl you guys recruited? What about Junior, the idol?”

“You leave them alone!”

“Who would have thought that the cool heir of the IM Corps to have people he cares about. You know, if you don’t get them to stop this, I will be able to do worse things. Your mother had been to the hospital a lot more and… I’m pretty sure you still feel something for my daughter. You took her away from the chaos that night.”

“You’re ing crazy, that’s your own daughter!” Jaebum slammed his hands on the table in front of him. “How could you even think of that? Besides, I’ve ended things with her.”

“To protect her from your uncle, I supposed?” Park Sangwon continued to taunt. “You kids are very easy to read. Even if you got that woman back to your side, we still know what you’re thinking. Killing all of you will be an easy job.”

“What are you guys talking about?” A new familiar voice got the attention from both men. 

“, Jihyo.” Jaebum cursed as he stared at the new presence in the office. 

Nayeon gasped when she heard Jaebum’s curse through their communication system. Jeongyeon who Udon just picked up from an alley widened her eyes as she turned to look at everyone in the container who had the exact same expression as her. Jinyoung who was preparing on the other side stopped in his tracks.

This was definitely not predicted by Taecyeon.


` oho, we are heading towards the final fight. i got all this hacking from watching Ghost, a korean drama. i will highly recommend this drama, especially if you like the drama Signal. anyway, i want to hear your thoughts. is this chapter exciting? i split it up with each of them having different missions and the danger they might face. if it's not exciting then i might have failed HAHA. so what do you think? if you're wondering, jinyoung has his own mission too. they have to bring down mystic entertainment too. so, look forward to the next chapter! i'm aiming to end this story in chapter 30!