16.

Inhumane

A curse almost escaped from Jinyoung’s mouth when he saw a familiar figure walking up towards them. 

“Jinyoung!” His name came out from the slender figure once she stopped in front of the pair. “You’re here.”

“Yeah.” He managed to fake a smile after hiding the one second grimace on his face earlier. However, that did not escape Nayeon’s eyes.

“Is that Baby J?” Bambam asked through their communication system. Jinyoung had to stop himself from rolling his eyes at Bambam’s question as he maintained the forced smile on his face.

“I didn’t know you’ve reached.” He started casually but was interrupted by Bambam’s voice again.

“Jinyoung, you look like you’re about to cry.” 

Nayeon bit back the laugh that was about to escape from her but what Baby J said next made her swallow whatever laughter she had in .

“You would have known if you came here with me as your date and not—“ She eyed Nayeon from head to toe as she continued. “Not this thing.”

Jaebum and Jeongyeon who were on the other side of the huge hall stopped in their tracks with a frown forming on their faces. Mark stopped typing as his face darkened. Bambam clenched his fist.

“She happens to be my date tonight.” Jinyoung smirked and took Nayeon’s hand in his. “Which was also the reason why I rejected you so many times. I picked this dress for her personally, like it?”

That was enough to shut Baby J up. The sneer on her face disappeared completely as she threw Nayeon a glare before she left the pair, humiliated.

“That girl has some issue, Jinyoung.” Jaebum muttered. 

“She probably would be going to where Yang Jungseob would be, we will follow her.” Jinyoung replied. “I definitely won’t be surprise if they have some disgusting relationship.”

“You’re right, she’s there with your boss.” Bambam stated. “And she looks really mad.”

“Definitely complaining about what just happened.” Jinyoung shrugged and hooked Nayeon’s arm around his again. “Now shut up, we are getting to work.”

With that said, Jinyoung and Nayeon headed towards the direction Baby J had walked off to. 


“Boss, Park Sangwon and his daughter are walking towards us. Should we greet?”

“It will be rude to not.” Jaebum turned slightly to look at Jeongyeon. “Beside he’s our target.”

Jaebum then took Jeongyeon’s arm to hook around his before he led them towards Park Sangwon and Jihyo. Jeongyeon coughed a little, feeling the stare Jihyo was giving her when they stopped in front of them. 

“Who’s this beautiful lady here?” Jaebum cringed a little and almost wanted to punch the older man because of the words he said. Or maybe, he just wanted to punch him because of everything he did before. 

Thankfully, Jeongyeon could feel his tensed body and gave his arm a gentle squeeze as a warning. 

“Good evening, Uncle Sangwon.” Jaebum spoke in his most polite voice and bowed slightly which, Jeongyeon followed too. 

“This is your assistant right?” Jihyo interrupted before both of the men could continue the conversation. “You’re one special boss, Jaebum. This is the first time I’ve seen an assistant coming to an event like this with her boss.”

“She’s jealous.” Bambam muttered without thinking again as he continued to watch the screen on his computer. 

“Bambam, focus.” Taecyeon’s scolded. “Not just on the screen but everything that’s happening.”

Bambam muttered a soft apology and kept his mouth shut after. Taecyeon’s firm order was definitely one thing that Bambam wouldn’t dare to defy.

“She’s a good friend too.” Jaebum admitted with a polite smile. “I don’t see why I can’t bring a friend to an event like this.”

Jeongyeon let out an awkward chuckle and turned away when her eyes met with Jihyo’s blazing ones. Her boss was an idiot. 

“I’m just here to help.” Jeongyeon cleared after finding the right words to save herself from the haughty princess who’s clearly unhappy and jealous which, Jaebum was completely unaware of. 

“She must be one good assistant then.” Sangwon let out a hearty laugh and gave Jaebum’s shoulder a few pats. “And you’re one good boss too, Jaebum.”

“Thank you, Uncle Sangwon.” Jaebum bowed his head politely. “Are you looking for my uncle by any chance?”

“No no.” The older man shook his head with another short laugh. “He has to welcome the media and the reporters. I’m just walking around with my daughter.”

“Media?”

“Reporters?”

Both Jaebum and Jeongyeon asked at the same time. They had always thought that it’s going to be a private event. What in the world are these old men trying to do?

“Jungseob was the one who suggested it.” Sangwon added on for their benefits. “Did Jongmin say nothing about this?”

“Don’t joke around, Uncle Sangwon.” Jaebum faked a laugh. “I definitely don’t have any say in this. Uncle was the one who planned it with all of your help.”

“I will go get both of you a drink, boss.” Jeongyeon unhooked her arm with Jaebum’s and bowed slightly. Before leaving, she shared an eye contact with him and walked past Sangwon, slipping the small button that was given by Taecyeon into his suit pocket.


On the other side, Jinyoung was having a casual conversation with Yang Jungseob whereas Nayeon was just standing beside him, looking for an opportunity to finish her mission. However, Baby J had made her job a little harder than it should be; her gaze had never once leave Nayeon’s figure. If a glare could kill, Nayeon would’ve been dead multiple times.

She was already nervous but right now, she’s half panicking. 

“I need the bathroom.” Nayeon leaned closer to Jinyoung and muttered; the tone in her voice having hints of ‘Help me’ in it.

That, of course did not went unnoticed to Jinyoung who turned to her, stopping the conversation he was having with his boss. 

“She’s glaring at me.” Nayeon mumbled through her teeth, making sure no one could hear her except Jinyoung. “Help?”

Jinyoung took a quick glance at Baby J then to Jungseob again. 

“I’m getting a little thirsty after all the talking.” He joked. “Shall we get some drink?”

“Of course.” Jungseob agreed and gestured Baby J to follow them along. 

“Na—“ Jinyoung stopped, not wanting to reveal Nayeon’s name in front of them. “You need the bathroom right? We will be by the drinks bar, come back soon or I might miss you.”

Everyone — Taecyeon, Jaebum, Jeongyeon, Bambam and Mark — choked at Jinyoung’s last few words.

Nayeon chuckled nervously, stealing a quick glance at Baby J who seemed like she was about to explode.

“I won’t take long, I guess?” Nayeon managed to force a smile and turned around after. Unfortunately, she had to walk past the female idol who stepped out a little, causing Nayeon to trip but Jinyoung managed to catch her before she fall flat onto the floor. 

Maybe, Nayeon had to thank Baby J after all. She turned to Jinyoung and gave him a discreet thumb up. That quick moment had allowed Nayeon to get closer to Jungseob which she grabbed the chance immediately, dropping the small button into his suit pocket. 

Jinyoung grinned and gave her a thumb up too.

“Be careful, silly girl. See you later.”

“Jinyoung,” Bambam’s voice once again got through their shared communication system. “Mark’s about to kill someone. Stop with your cheesy words.”

“You mean, disgusting words?” This time it was Jaebum’s voice. “We are out of Park Sangwon’s range. Any updates and what’s the thing with the media? This is supposed to be a private event right?”

“No updates on that.” Mark ignored what Bambam said earlier and answered Jaebum. “It’s all casual conversations. Nayeon managed to drop the button into Yang Jungseob’s suit too. Jinyoung’s still with them.”

“There was no sight of your uncle, Jaebum.” Taecyeon brought up. 

“Something’s not right. By the way, did you guys see Jeongyeon on your screen. It’s taking her too long to get drinks for us.” Jaebum asked, standing by the side of the room and observing the situation.

“The only places that don’t have any CCTVs are the bathrooms.” This time, Udon who was scanning the whole venue brought up. “She’s probably in it—“

“She’s not.” Nayeon interrupted the conversation. “I just stepped out from there.”

Jinyoung who was still with his boss, stopped his conversation immediately. He’d been following the conversation despite him entertaining his boss and he definitely wasn’t liking where it’s going. 

“I should go check the bathroom.” He changed the topic immediately. “My date is taking a little too long. Excuse me, boss and Ji Ae.”

With that said, Jinyoung left Jungseob and Ji Ae alone, heading to where the female bathroom was. 

“There are hacking activities going on.” Mark informed everyone as he started typing furiously on his keyboard. “I’m checking it out.”

“Bambam, Udon, keep your eyes on the screen. Don’t miss anything out.” Taecyeon commanded which Bambam and Udon nodded in reply. “Jinyoung, get Nayeon. Jaebum, find Jeongyeon. I’m tracking their conversation.”

His command was clear and firm, leaving the younger ones no room to defy or argue. Jaebum stepped back in to the crowd, keeping his eyes on everyone, hoping to see Jeongyeon in sight.

Jinyoung too, walked past the crowd, eyes wandering around for both Nayeon and Jeongyeon to no avail. 

“Nayeon’s alone outside of the crowd.”

“Jinyoung, be careful.” Taecyeon’s words stopped Jinyoung in his tracks. “They are planning something against you. It wasn’t clear but Yang Jungseob was on the phone earlier; I assumed it’s with Im Jongmin because Park Sangwon received a phone call after his daughter leave his sight. Your name was mentioned.”

As if on cue, the lights of the room went off for a brief moment then came back on but this time, it’s only the stage lights. The crowd went silent and waited for whatever was going to happen.

“What’s happening?” Nayeon asked, feeling a little uncomfortable being alone in the hall. 

“The media and reporters are in.” Bambam noticed. “Mark is still tracing the hacking.”

“Not good.” Udon interrupted Bambam. “I’m getting androids radar. It’s all over the place.”

“Can you help Mark trace where the hacking is going on?” Jaebum half asked, half instructed. “Jinyoung, Jeongyeon, Nayeon, where the hell are you guys?”

“I’m not in the crowd but, it’s dark here so I can only see where the stage is.” Nayeon looked around frantically.

“I’m looking for the two girls.” Jinyoung mumbled, looking around in the crowd too. “But like Nayeon said, it’s too dark. Jeongyeon, give us a damn reply.”

However, no response from her was given.

“Something’s not right.” Taecyeon stated and pushed Mark out of his seat. “I will work on this. You go into the hall and grab Nayeon out.”

Without any protesting, Mark grabbed his mask and got out from the van. That was exactly what Jaebum meant by ‘just in case’ when he asked them to pick their mask and suits.

Just in case they have to blend in too. 

“Jeongyeon.” Nayeon tried again. “Jeongyeon, answer us.”

“Jeongyeon, damn it!” Jinyoung cursed under his breath, careful not to attract any attention from the crowd who seemed as confused as all of them are. 

“Jaebum, the princess is alone and she seems lost and confused. Park Sangwon isn’t with her. She’s on a little down from your left.” Bambam informed and this time, there wasn’t any playfulness in his tone.

“I will go to her.”

“Bam, Udon, is there still no trace of Jeongyeon?” 

“No.” That was Udon’s reply to Jinyoung’s question, causing everyone to frown. 

“Udon, keep an eye on the CCTVs. Bambam, I need your help.” Taecyeon ordered which Bambam obeyed immediately. “Someone is stopping us into the system.”

“Is it Sunmi?”

“The security coding is hers.” Taecyeon answered after a short brief moment before he continued to type on his keyboard. “I would have easily got through it but the huge data from the androids are making things worse. Udon, we need your help.”

“Then who’s going to look out for Jeongyeon?” Jinyoung interrupted. “That girl is still nowhere in sight!”

Before Jinyoung could get any reply from any of them, a bright light shone on him which caught the attention of everyone in the hall. Murmurs started getting louder as everyone got even more confused, leaving Jinyoung in the spotlight.

“Wha—“

Nayeon’s couldn’t even start her question as the huge screen started showing a footage which caused the murmurings and muttering to grow even louder. 

“Well...” Jaebum muttered beside Jihyo whom he just got to her side a minute ago.

“.” Nayeon, Mark and Bambam finished Jaebum’s line.


` things are getting exciting, right? i hope? bc i got really excited writing these. it was fun imagining it, the next two chapters will have more actions too! look forward to it! also, i don't mind hearing some of your guesses or your thoughts! votes and comments are very welcome!

- ddeokbxkki -

follow me on instagram! @ddeokbxkki for Q&A sessions