14.

Inhumane

They had thought that the IP address and location would remain the same after Bambam stopped his impulsive act. However, after days of observations, they realised that Bambam might not be the reason the IP addresses kept changing. They had assumed that it was because of the hacking but after another few days, they realised that they could be wrong about that too.

“Is the IP address still the same today?” Jaebum asked as he stepped into the truck container.

“Boss.” Jeongyeon who was working on her computer wanted to stand up but Jaebum gestured for her to stay seated as he sat on an empty chair.

“It’s still the same,” Mark answered Jaebum’s question. “It’s been days and it stayed like that.”

“Shouldn’t we at least check it out?”

“That’s rare from you, boss.” Jeongyeon looked up from her screen. “I thought you would ask if it’s a trap since the address is where the charity ball will be held.”

“Wait.” It took Jaebum a second to take in what Jeongyeon had said. “It is?”

“If you checked it you will know that it is.” Bambam stated simply.

“I’m sorry I’m not a technology expert like all of you here.” Jaebum scoffed in a sarcastic manner. “Besides, none of you mention about this.”

“That’s the reason why I called you and Jinyoung over today.” Taecyeon stood up and crossed his arms. “But let’s wait for him first.”

“I don’t think you have to wait long,” Udon shouted from the front and the truck came to a stop which Jinyoung got on in that short moment.

Now that everyone’s present, they stopped what they were doing and focused their attention on Taecyeon instead, knowing that the man had a plan in mind.

“We are infiltrating the venue.” That was Taecyeon’s short but clear announcement which left the younger people speechless for a while. Before anyone could even make any response, he continued. “Jaebum, I know you are thinking if this was a trap and I have to admit, I’ve thought about that. It’s not a coincidence; it’s not a by chance situation either. They are holding the ball and right before that, Sunmi’s coding appeared. It meant something.”

“What does it—“ Jinyoung wanted to ask but Mark answered his incomplete question, cutting him off.

“It means that they’re trying to figure all of us out.” Mark crossed his arms and leaned his back against the chair. “We’re not using their security software; we hide our IP addresses and we were able to break into their IT security. Now, they had found a weakness, they would try to beat us all down at once.”

“Then why are we doing this?” Jaebum frowned and everyone could tell that he’s disagreeing to the idea after that analysis. “Wouldn’t that make it more dangerous?”

“We would need a plan,” Taecyeon answered Jaebum immediately. “And I know the charity ball has a masquerade theme.”

“Are you telling the others to blend in with the crowd?” Jaebum questioned again, the tone in his voice still full of doubts.

“That is exactly what I’m telling all of you to do.” Taecyeon replied with an emphasis on the word ‘exactly’.

“But not everyone will be in the venue,” Bambam added on quickly when he noticed the frown on Jaebum’s forehead deepening. “Taecyeon, Mark and I will be outside with Udon. The truck is too big so we have to get a van.”

Mark and Taecyeon nodded in agreement as their gaze shifted to Jaebum’s figure and along with Bambam, they stared at the young CEO. Feeling like their gaze was burning through him, Jaebum sighed.

“I will get one for you.”

“Okay, first thing down.” Taecyeon clasped his hands together and faced the others again. “Next thing, I’m sure Jeongyeon would have to attend the ball with you. Right, Jaebum? Jinyoung, bring Nayeon. Don’t look so surprised, Nayeon.”

“I’m not—“

“Anyway yes,” Taecyeon continued after he got sidetracked a little. “If it’s a masquerade ball, they wouldn’t be recognised.”

“What’s their so called mission, you never once bring this up to me nor Bambam.”

“Because if I do, you won’t allow it.” Taecyeon turned his attention to Mark for a brief moment then back to the two girls. “The both of your job is to drop these—“

Taecyeon opened his hand and there, sitting on his palm was a tiny black circular button. Everyone else moved nearer and stared at it before Nayeon looked up again.

“What’s that?”

“Something I’ve been working on the past one week,” Taecyeon explained and kept the small button into his pocket. “I want to listen to every conversation Im Jongmin, Park Sangwon and Jinyoung’s boss, Yang Jungseob will be having during that event. No matter with who. It’s programmed to only work for that night so even if they find this near them, it would just seem like a normal button.”

“Hackers…” Jinyoung mumbled. “Are really scary.”

“We heard that.” Taecyeon, Mark and Bambam all answered at the same time.

“I was joking.” Jinyoung raised both his hands up and laughed nervously.

“Then what will be the three of you doing?” Jeongyeon asked this time, looking at the three main hackers on the team. “What’s the ultimate goal for this?”

“I have the blueprints of the venue in my MacBook.” Bambam turned his opened MacBook around to let everyone have a look. “Which includes all the CCTV points. Mark and Udon will hack into the CCTV systems. One, to get rid of all the footage that would have the two, now four of you on it. Two, we are going to screen the whole building.”

“Hackers….” Jinyoung muttered again. “Are indeed really scary.”

This time, Jaebum nodded along with him.

“In summary,” Taecyeon took a quick glance at Jaebum and Jinyoung with a “shut up” kind of meaning in his gaze then turned to the rest of the team. “Jaebum and Jinyoung, you’re there as yourself and a distraction. They probably will have all eyes on you, Jaebum. Jeongyeon and Nayeon, both of you have a mission.”

“Are we really letting these two get the important job?” Jaebum asked another question. “They aren’t really the best fighter—“

“No offence to you two.” He quickly added with a soft mutter when he felt two deadly stares on him.

“You and Jinyoung are in there, right?” Mark threw a question back at him. “They will be safe.”

“Is it just me or did you start talking more lately?” Jinyoung stepped forward and asked with an amused look plastered on his face.

“He started eating sweets too.” Bambam quickly added then took a few steps back when Mark glared at him.

“Interesting.” Jinyoung nodded and rubbed his chin in a playful manner as he took a brief glance at Nayeon. “Very interesting.”

“Can we just get back to the topic.” Jeongyeon interrupted the boys like she usually did before the conversation sidetracked even more.

“The topic ended.” Bambam shrugged.

“No, we have one last issue.” Nayeon’s words caught everyone’s attention which she then gave them all a sheepish grin. “I have absolutely no dresses that are suitable for this kind of situation. I don’t think Jeongyeon does too.”

“That’s the issue?” Mark who was slightly taken aback, asked. “Just that?”

“Just that.” Nayeon confirmed with a slight nod.

Mark ignored her this time and walked back to his seat.

“Jinyoung and I can handle both of your dresses and masks.” Jaebum sighed and shook his head slightly. “So, don’t worry about that.”

“Well, at least we don’t have to dress Bambam up as a girl.”



They still had some time until the night of the event. Taecyeon along with Mark and Bambam had been monitoring the internet movement from the other party, hoping to find some more solid evidence and hint. However, things had remained the same since the day they had the meeting of their plan.

To not create any suspicions, everyone had agreed to not have any unnecessary contact with each other. Nayeon and Jeongyeon weren’t allowed to do any hacking too.

For those few weeks, Nayeon was back to her usual life as an ordinary college student. Her friends had assumed that she had a break up with her so-called boyfriend when she was available to hang out with them. Although she kept denying it, none of her friends believed her.

Jaebum and Jeongyeon were back at the company more. Under the instruction of Taecyeon, they had to hold their anger in and be polite to Im Jongmin like how a nephew should. They had also been visiting the hospital more as the condition of Jaebum’s father worsened slightly. Despite knowing that it might have something to do with his uncle, there was nothing either of them could do.

Park Sangwon appeared less at their company too which Jaebum found it suspicious.

Jinyoung who was preparing for his comeback had been busier lately. He got into huge trouble with his manager when he sneaked out from practice previously and to appease him, Jinyoung promised to work harder. Thus, his manager had assumed that Jinyoung’s rare acceptance to sponsored events -like the charity ball- was part of his “working harder”

However, there was one thing Jinyoung refused to do and that was bringing Jin Ae as his date. The young female idol had been trying to get closer to him, hoping that Jinyoung would change his mind which he didn’t at all because of different reasons.

One, she’s annoying.

Two, he already got himself a date.

Three, she’s annoying.

Four, because of the mission.

Of course, he didn’t mention the last part to anyone. He had also been extra careful in the company, knowing that some of the staffs were in fact humanoids.

“They probably would have increased the number of androids in your company so, do be careful.” Taecyeon had said._

Jinyoung sat on the floor at the corner of the practice, his sweaty back leaning against the mirror as he took another sip of water from his bottle. Staying at a spot and waiting was never his style but he had learnt his lesson from the previous mess he had created.

He just hoped these would end soon.


“I thought you guys broke up.” Nayeon’s friend whispered which made Nayeon, who was watching the floor as they walked, jolted a little from the sudden close proximity.

“You scared me!” Nayeon was obviously a little unhappy about the little scare. But her friend pointed at the main entrance of the college instead of making any reply.

Nayeon blinked once. Maybe twice.

What was Mark doing there?

“I will go ahead first,” Nayeon informed and walked ahead but she turned around again in a few seconds. “And, he's not my boyfriend.”

Her friend only gave her a half-hearted nod and wave before she walked off too.

“What are you doing here?” Nayeon asked and tapped on Mark’s shoulder at the same time.

“Class ended?” Mark put his phone back into his pocket and stood up straight from the pillar. “Let’s go then.”

“Where?”

“Jaebum told me to come to pick you up.” Mark answered as he walked ahead first.

“And where are we going?” As usual, Nayeon would have to walk faster to keep up with his pace.

“Shopping.”

“What?”


` this is probably one of the shortest chapters of this story. also if you're wondering about markyeon and why it's all subtle moments, i will just say that mark's story hasn't start yet. are you guys not curious about his past that was hinted in chapter six? HAHA. i was writing the next few chapters and it's getting exciting! it will get more and more as the story progress because it's going to be a head on fight soon!

share your thoughts with me, please? i hope you've enjoyed this!

- ddeokbxkki -

p.s. do you prefer friday or sunday updates?

p.p.s. follow me on instagram - @/ddeokbxkki. will be having a q&a session soon!