09.

Inhumane

It was hard for Jinyoung to focus during his practice. When he had heard of the situation they were in now, he couldn’t help but to wonder how the girl was doing. To him, to them, Jeongyeon was a very different girl as compared to other females. Jeongyeon was strong and could handle almost all of their bull. She was able to overcome any difficulties or problems she met.

What about this time?

Nayeon had mentioned before to leave the girl alone but, did Jeongyeon really want to be alone. Wouldn’t she end up overthinking if all she had is herself?

Jinyoung let out a sigh and messed up his hair in frustration. All these thoughts had been swimming in his head ever since he found out what happened. He looked up from the couch where he was sitting and noticed that everyone else were busy with something.

His manager was nowhere in sight too.

“Well,” He muttered under his breath. “Time to be a rebel again.”

Keeping his eyes on the crew and the staff, Jinyoung quietly stood up and sneaked out from the room, grabbing his ‘emergency backpack’; along his way out.

It was probably due to what he’d been doing for these years, Jinyoung had managed to hid himself well from the security as he put on his black jacket as a disguise.

He made a quiet apology innerly when he unlocked the car his manager always drove him around. This would probably worry his manager a lot but he needed to check on the girl or he wouldn’t be able to focus at all.

It was only after the started the engine then he realised that he didn’t know where to look for her. He had no idea where she lived either. Did she ever mention or was he just too self absorbed to not remember it.

Frustrated at himself, Jinyoung took out his phone and go to his contact page. His thumb hover on the name ‘Rich Man Son’ for a brief moment before he tapped on the screen.

He’s probably the best option.

“Hello.” Jaebum’s voice came through from the other side of the call.

“Hey Jaebum.”

There was a silent pause; clearly the other man was surprised at the call and at how Jinyoung just called him by his name.

“What do you want?” Jaebum went straight to the point.

“Give me Jeongyeon’s address.” Jinyoung gave an answer which was straightforward as Jaebum’s question.

“What—“

“Give me her address, Jaebum.” Jinyoung repeated himself. “I want to check on her.”

A short silence took over the conversation but eventually, Jaebum answered in a way which surprised even himself.

“Call Bambam.” He stated. “He would be able to track her phone. Our phones were all tracked to be safe.”

Jinyoung muttered a quiet ‘thanks’ before he hanged up on Jaebum.

Maybe it’s time someone really try to make Jeongyeon talk.

Jaebum sighed softly before he placed his phone aside as he buried his face in his hands.

-

It didn’t take long for Jinyoung to find Jeongyeon with the help from Bambam. Although it did took a while to convince Bambam to give him the address. He was with Mark and Nayeon and the latter had tried to stop him but eventually gave in when she realised that it’s Jinyoung.

After all, it’s no secret that Jeongyeon’s favourite idol was Jinyoung.

“Hey.” Jinyoung sat down on the cement stairs beside Jeongyeon who was just staring at the huge river in front of her, completely ignoring Jinyoung’s presence.

“How are you feeling?” Jinyoung continued, not giving up as he attempted to make the girl talk. 

She had to at least talk to someone.

Fortunately, that question was good enough to receive a response from Jeongyeon. Even though it was on that was dripping with sarcasm.

“How would you feel if this was your family?” Jeongyeon retorted in a quiet voice which sounded lifeless to Jinyoung.

“They will be alright, Jeongyeon.” Jinyoung spoke in a quiet voice as he turned to look at the sunset by the river too. “I promise you, they will all come back safe.”

That itself caught Jeongyeon’s attention.

“How?” She turned to look at the side profile of Jinyoung who in turned look back at her too.

“Just trust me, because I am Park Jinyoung.” He gave her a cheeky smile as an assurance after his signature narcissistic reply. He had wanted to make her laugh a little however, that made Jeongyeon teared up instead.

And before Jinyoung could even react, Jeongyeon ended up bursting into tears.

“.” Jinyoung widened his eyes in panic and rested a hand on the girl’s shoulder awkwardly. “Did I say something wrong? I’m sorry, yeah?”

However, that made Jeongyeon cried even more.

That was the first time Jinyoung witnessed Jeongyeon’s tears and that was also the first time Jeongyeon allowed anyone to see her tears.

-

The sound of the ball hitting against the wall was loud in the indoor court. Sweats were dripping down Jaebum’s hair but with everyone bounce back of the ball, he only hit it back harder. After that call from Jinyoung, the man couldn’t focus on his work anymore. It’s been a week since the disappearance of Jeongyeon’s family and there was still not much info of their whereabouts.

As her boss, her team mate and her good friend, it frustrated Jaebum that he could not be any help to her situation. He wasn’t the best with computers so he couldn’t help to track anything down like how the others were doing. He knew he was probably the reason why Jeongyeon got targeted; he had initially wanted to hire some people secretly to follow Im Jongmin, Park Sangwon and maybe even Mystic Entertainment’s CEO, Park Sungjoon too but Taecyeon had also warned him to not do anything impulsive.

So he was stuck here, unable to be any help.

Upon those thoughts, Jaebum gave the ball one final hard hit as he let out a loud frustrated roar before he threw his racquet away. Silence took over the court right after immediately with only his heavy breathing echoing in the air as he stayed still at where he was standing.

“Who in the world was able to make the calm Jaebum lose his cool?” A familiar voice caught the Jaebum’s attention and when he turned around, Jihyo who was in her own sport outfit was standing by the entrance, her hand holding onto her squash racquet.

“Hey.” That was Jaebum’s quiet reply which he then walked up to his gears by the side, not wanting to entertain the girl much.

“I asked a question, Jaebum.” Jihyo refused to just back down even though she could tell that Jaebum was blatantly trying to avoid her.

“It’s nothing.” Jaebum gave her another cold reply. The lesser she knew, the safe she would be. 

“Don’t worry.”

“I wish I’m not worrying.” Jihyo scoffed quietly then looked at the man who was preparing to leave. “Let’s have a round.”

“What?” Jaebum paused in his actions and turned his attention to Jihyo.

“A game, a round. Or whatever it is.” Jihyo stated firmly. “You did not seem to have fully vented your frustrations out.”

That caught Jaebum by surprise. He had initially thought that Jihyo would pester him for answers but instead, she asked for a round. Sometimes he had no idea how easily Jihyo could read him despite everything that had happened between them.

“Alright.”

This time Jaebum did not object to it.

-

Ever since what happened, Mark hadn’t been around Nayeon since he’s been staying home to track down whatever information he could find. The others had also agreed with Taecyeon that Nayeon wouldn’t be needing protection since the enemies seemed to have changed their goal and were now trying to find the members in their team.

Although it seemed that she’s gotten back her freedom, Nayeon still felt a little weird without a person following her around. Bambam did met up with her occasionally in school but she knew that most of the time, he would be fulfilling his duty as Jaebum’s temporary assistant.

She wasn’t asked to help either of them but was instead, asked to check up on Jeongyeon often which she did. But Jeongyeon always brushed her off and hung up on her after. Even when they meet up sometimes, Jeongyeon wouldn’t say anything; it would be just Nayeon herself, trying to make conversation.

It’s not that she did not try to help but with her limited knowledge and access to the technologies they had, she couldn’t do much either.

Letting out a long sigh, Nayeon threw the ball in her hand to the other side of the room which Kookeu went after it immediately.

That brought Nayeon back from her thoughts; she didn’t even realised she’s been playing with Kookeu’s toy in her hand. How long had he been waiting?

“Kookeu.” Nayeon called which the small dog ran up to her and dropped the ball in front of her. She picked him up from the floor and stood up too before she smiled at the small animal. “Let’s go out for a walk.”

-

Mark watched as the stray dog in front of him finished up the dog food he brought to the park. Usually, there would be one or two more who would join them but they didn’t seem to be coming that day which disappointed Mark slightly. He thought maybe they would help him get the frustrations out of himself so he would be able to work better and hopefully get some answers soon.

He didn’t realised he was in a dazed until a furry paw touched his hand that was holding onto the kibbles. He blinked twice and turned his attention to the newcomer then to the other dog who was also now staring at him.

“Do you still want more?” He directed his first question to the first dog then shifted his gaze back to the smaller dog. “And you, little one?”

The cream coloured Pomeranian stared back at the man with his tongue stuck out. For some reason, the dog seemed really familiar to Mark but he didn’t think much into it.

“Well, here are more for the both of you.” He smiled and poured the rest of the kibbles onto the floor as he gave each of them a rub on their head.

“Is this where you always go to whenever you disappeared?”

Mark looked up upon hearing that familiar voice and the smile on his face faded immediately.

“What are you doing here?” That was his plain cold question.

Nayeon said nothing but instead, directed the male’s attention to the cream coloured Pomeranian which was busy gobbling up the kibbles on the floor.

“He brought me here. I had to chase him all the way in from the park’s entrance. He was why I’m part of this. I guess it’s the food that attracted him here.”

“Do you ever shut up?” Mark cut her off irritably before Nayeon could even continue. But she was completely unfazed by his reply as she sat down on the bench that was behind him.

“Do you ever talk then?” Nayeon retorted back and leant against the back of the bench.

“I’m not mute.”

“I know you’re not.” Nayeon scoffed quietly and looked at Mark who still had his back facing her. “You just sounded a hundred times more irritated and annoyed today. A lot worse than the first day you started to follow me around.”

“I’m not.”

“It’s not your fault you’re not able to get any concrete information yet.” Nayeon said and paused for a while, only continuing when she realised Mark had stopped patting Kookeu. “You don’t have to blame yourself.”

“I’m going.” Mark stood up from his squatting position and that’s when Nayeon knew she hit the right spot.

“Sit your down.” Nayeon commanded firmly.

“What?” Mark turned around finally to face Nayeon.

“I said, sit down.” Nayeon repeated with a nonchalant expression. “Here. Beside me. Now.”

Mark made no move and instead tried to turn away again.

“With your current state, you won’t be able to do anything.” Nayeon added on quickly which made Mark turned around again. “Just come sit down and clear your mind. I promise I will keep my mouth shut. Just stay and watch the dogs.”

Mark gave the girl an incredulous look, slowly walking up to her and sat down beside her. He didn’t know how long was it after that but, Nayeon really didn’t say anything at all throughout. 

Silence, two dogs and the sunset was what accompanied the two of them that evening.


` sorry for the super late update! i was having a bad cold and was going through an inner turmoil but i'm back now and the updates will be too! this chapter is filled with all three ships and the different development between them. next chapter would have more actions instead! tell me what you think of this chapter, okay! votes and comments are very very loved. 

i hope you've enjoyed this chapter!!

-

follow me on: http://instagram.com/ddeokbxkki
ask me anything: http://curiouscat.me/ddeokbxkki