15.

Inhumane

The place Mark brought Nayeon to turned out to be a personal boutique that catered to Jaebum’s need. When they reached the place, Jaebum and Jeongyeon were already there.

“You’re here.” Jaebum stood up from the luxurious chair when Nayeon walked into the boutique after Mark.

Mark gave him a slight nod as a response. Whereas for Nayeon, she was looking around the store in awe, completely ignoring everyone in the store.

“Wake up, Nayeon.” Jaebum snapped his fingers in front of the girl’s face which invited a soft yelp from her. “Are you with us now?”

“Yes yes.” Nayeon muttered and placed a hand on her chest to calm herself down from the scare. “But wow Jaebum, this is the kind of luxury I never once imagine to even be a part of.”

“Well, you don’t have to imagine anymore.” Jaebum answered in a nonchalant manner before he turned his attention to Jeongyeon. “Where’s Bambam and Jinyoung.”

“They said they’re on the way.”

“In that case…” Jaebum trailed off and met his gaze with the boutique staffs at the back. “Nayeon, go pick your dress. Jeongyeon, you too. Jinyoung and I will match ours with your dress colours.”

Two ladies who were both wearing the same uniform walked up to Nayeon and Jeongyeon at the same time, leading them to the back of the boutique.

While waiting, Jaebum sat back on the couch and Mark had his back leaned against the wall. The wait was silent and both of them had either a blank expression or a frown on their faces. After all, the event would be in another two days.

It was the sound of the front door opening that made Jaebum and Mark to look up. They were greeted by Jinyoung’s smug grin and Bambam who stepped in after.

“Damn Jaebum.” Jinyoung took a quick look around and gave his attention to the young CEO. “This is even more luxurious than our agency’s.”

“You’re late.” That was Jaebum’s reply instead.

“I had to convince my manager that I won’t get into trouble.” Jinyoung sat down on the other side of the couch comfortably. “Where are the two girls anyway?”

“Choosing their dresses.”

As if they’ve heard the question, the two staff ladies walked out from the room behind.

“Sir, do you want them to come out with their dresses?” One of them asked and before Jaebum could answer, Jinyoung beat him to it.

“Yes, tell them to!” Jinyoung gave the lady a grin which made her blushed a little. “So it’s easier for us to choose our suits too.”

The two staffs nodded and walked back into the room again. A few seconds later, a rare shriek from Jeongyeon was heard.

“Do we really have to?”

“Come on, let’s go!” That was Nayeon’s voice. “You look ultra gorgeous, let’s show that off!”

“But—“

Jeongyeon wasn’t able to finish her sentence for Nayeon had already dragged her to where the boys were waiting even though Jeongyeon had tried to turn back.

“I chose it for her! She didn’t want any other colours so I chose a black one.” Nayeon grinned proudly then turned to Jinyoung with a cheeky look. “Doesn't she look beautiful?”

There was a brief silence from the idol who was staring at a fidgeting Jeongyeon. She was wearing a black off shoulder evening gown that fits her body perfectly. She was staring at the floor in embarrassment since she had never wore even a simple dress, much less this elegant evening gown.

“Yeah.” A smile managed to find its way back to Jinyoung’s face which the male gave Jeongyeon a thumb up. “You look great.”

“Jaebum, let her wear dresses more okay?” Nayeon instructed jokingly before she picked the hem of her dress up a little. “How do I look then?”

Nayeon looked down and continued to admire the dress she was wearing. It was a midnight blue dress with floral laced pattern on the top half and the rest of the dress flowing down naturally from her waist.

Seeing that no one made a response after a few seconds of silence, Bambam and Jinyoung both nudged Mark on either sides. The latter shifted his gaze from the girl to the two boys beside him.

“What?” He mouthed.

Jinyoung eyed the girl briefly indicating for Mark to comment on it. Mark rolled his eyes at Jinyoung’s silent instruction but turned his attention back to Nayeon who wasn’t looking at them. However, before he could say anything, Jaebum made his comment first.

“Both of you look great.” It was simple but both girls could hear the sincerity from his tone and his smile. “Do you want to try on another one?”

“No.” That was Jeongyeon’s quick reply. “I mean, no, boss.”

“I’m satisfied with this.” Nayeon agreed.

Jaebum met his gaze with one of the two staff ladies again who understood what he meant. She led the two girls back to the room for them to change out of their dresses.

“Jinyoung, go choose something.” Jaebum instructed, his tone not as gentle as the one he used with the girls.

“I just need a tie that matches with J- I mean, Nayeon’s dress.”

Again, Jaebum shifted his gaze onto the other lady who then stepped to where Jinyoung was and led him to the mens’ section.

“Both of you, choose something too.”

“What?” Mark blurted out whereas for Bambam, there was a wide grin on his face as he walked up to where Jinyoung was choosing his tie.

“To blend into the crowd easily.” Jaebum explained to the bewildered Mark. “Just in case. So, go.”

Mark sighed in defeat and walked up to where Jinyoung and Bambam was.

After an estimated hour of picking and fitting both their outfits and masks, they were ready for the masquerade ball.


It was finally the day where they might or might not find the truth behind the corruption. Everyone was already in the truck except for Mark, Bambam and Nayeon. Udon was already waiting in the van Jaebum had provided further down the road.

“Where are they—“

Jaebum didn’t have to finish the question as the back door of the truck opened.

“Sorry.” Nayeon muttered when she stepped into the container with a paper bag in her hand. “We had to convince my mom that it’s nothing when she heard that I will be home late.”

“We still have some hours until the ball.” Taecyeon started since everyone was already here. “Let’s get into position and remember, we have to always be in touch.”

With those words, Taecyeon handed out a mini spy earbud to each of them.

“And for you two,” Taecyeon turned to the girls and gave them both a few gentle pats on their shoulder. “The buttons are with Jaebum. Once you’ve gotten ready, get them from him. I’m sorry, you two have to be the ones to do this mission. Especially you, Nayeon.”

“Don’t worry!” Nayeon gave him a wide smile. “It will be fun… I think.”

She added the last two words at the end with a sheepish grin replacing her bright smile.

After everything was clear and they all had their trackers and earbuds ready, they left pair by pair. Jaebum and Jeongyeon were the ones to leave first. Jinyoung and Nayeon was next. Before Nayeon exited from the truck, Mark held onto her arm, stopping her.

“Be careful.” That was his two simple words that were enough to bring a small smile onto the girl’s face.

“It will be fun.” She assured him and left the truck with Jinyoung’s help.

“Mark, Bambam, you two get changed too.” Taecyeon who was watching their interactions instructed once they’re all out of sight. “Just in case things screw up.”

The two boys nodded.

 

At the boutique where they chose their outfits, Nayeon was gripping onto her dress tightly subconsciously. Despite everything she said earlier, it would be a lie to say that she’s not scared. She was after all still just a college student.

Jaebum and Jinyoung who were waiting by the side, all suited up, noticed it. Both of them walked up and stood by the side of the two make up artists.

“Looking good.” Jinyoung complimented as he watched the two uniformed staff ladies do their work. “We should bring you girls out for these kinds of events more.”

“And let myself get witch hunted by your fangirls?” Nayeon retorted back. “I’d rather not. Thankfully, this is a masquerade ball.”

Jaebum looked down at Nayeon’s hand and noticed that it’s no longer clenched into a tight ball. He shared a glance with Jinyoung who gave him a discreet thumbs-up with his arms folded.

“It will go alright.” He assured too. “Like what Nayeon said, it will be fun!”

“I added a ‘I think’ at the end.” Nayeon muttered and at the same time, her make up artist stepped aside.

Jeongyeon who was already done just a while ago gave Nayeon a pat on her thigh which Nayeon understood it as ‘It will be alright’. She then looked up at the two man who each gave her an assured smile and grin.

“It’s not everytime a college student like me would get to attend an elite event like this.” She stood up from her seat and took in a deep breath. “Let’s go have fun, Jeongyeon!”


The sun was already down when they reached the hotel where the event was being held. Nayeon’s jaw dropped slightly at the sight of the grand interior.

“What kind of life did I get dragged into.” She mumbled and stopped in her tracks. “I’m just a normal college student.”

“Was.” Jinyoung walked up to her and put on his mask. “You’re now the date of the idol Junior. Put on your mask.”

Nayeon blinked and looked at Jinyoung; she then turned her attention to Jaebum and Jeongyeon who already had their masks on waiting.

“Right, I’m sorry.” She muttered a quick apology and put on her mask too. “I’m ready.”

“Let’s go then.” Jaebum said and held out his arm, indicating for Jeongyeon to hook hers around it which she did.

Jinyoung did the same towards Nayeon with a bright smile. Feeling a little more at ease, Nayeon hooked her arm around his before they followed after Jaebum and Jeongyeon into the grand hall.

Parked at the alley beside the hotel was the black van which the three hackers -Taecyeon, Mark and Bambam- were in.

“They’re in.” Bambam watched the screen which showed the four of them stepping into the hall.

“Keep your eyes on them.” That was Taecyeon’s instruction.

The three of them had reached the venue earlier than the other four since it wouldn’t be that easy to hack into a five star hotel security system. To be safe, Taecyeon even got Udon to continue scanning for CCTVs that they might have missed out.

“Everything’s good for now.” Udon informed.

“Park Sangwon arrived. Oh no..” Bambam added at the end with a slight frown.

“What is it?”

“The princess is here too.” Bambam answered Taecyeon’s question. “I’m just worried Jaebum would get affected—“

“You do know we can hear you right?” Jaebum’s voice came out from everyone’s spy earbud. 

“So, keep the gossip to yourself and, I won’t get distracted.”

Bambam gave the other two who were in the car with him a sheepish smile and muttered a quiet apology before he spun his chair around to look at another computer screen.

“Boss,” Back in the grand hall, Jeongyeon glanced at the entrance. “She doesn’t know anything about her father. Will you be okay?”

“She will never know.” Jaebum affirmed. “Don’t worry about me.”

Nayeon’s grip on Jinyoung’s arm tightened a little as she felt the nervousness growing in her again. Feeling her grip, Jinyoung patted on her hand gently.

“It’s okay, stay with us first.” He leaned closer and whispered. “We have the whole night for your mission.”

Nayeon took in a deep breath for the umpteenth time of the day and nodded as an indication that she’s ready.

“Good luck.” Jaebum and Jinyoung both said at the same time as the two pairs split up to different directions. 


` i guess, the weekly updates are back? bc i'm like two chapters ahead and i'm currently writing chapter 18! stay tune with me because this event is a turning point in the story! am i giving too many information? 

anyway, i really want to have a Q&A question. you can ask the characters any questions or the author aka me too. i will try to answer them ! don't let this flop!!

- ddeokbxkki -