20.

Inhumane

It was Nayeon’s question that made Jaebum, Jinyoung and Jeongyeon to finally realised that their mentor and the youngest were not in the apartment anymore. First, it was confusion that was on their face but that was replaced by a look of horror soon after. 

“Jinyoung, call Taecyeon. Nayeon, call Bambam.” Jaebum instructed immediately. 

“Hopefully they will be calm enough to pick up the call.” He added at the end in a soft mutter. 

Before he could give any instruction to Jeongyeon, the girl already had her laptop opened on her lap as she worked her way to track the both of them down. However, a frown formed on her forehead when she realised that both of them had turned off their trackers.

“I’ve never thought that Taecyeon would be one to be this impulsive.” Jinyoung sighed as he got sent to voicemail again.

“We should have known.” Jaebum mumbled and rested a hand on his forehead. “This is getting out of hand. They got us.”

“It was a complete loss, right?” Nayeon asked timidly, despair obvious in her tone. “They got what they wanted. They exposed Jinyoung. Mark got hurt. Jaebum and Jeongyeon would have to stay low profile too. And Bambam, they managed to find out the last member of the team.”

“Actually, I think they found out long ago.” Jeongyeon analysed and looked up from her laptop screen. “They finally revealed the whereabouts of Sunmi and Mark’s brother and that stirred an uproar within us. Why now, why not before?”

“I don’t know.” Jaebum muttered in defeat. “I really have no answer for this one.”

Nobody heard the door of the room clicked open. Jinyoung was the first one to notice that Mark had stepped out and was heading towards the main door.

“Mark!” 

“I have to go.” The injured male managed to utter out. “They went to save them and I’m going too.”

“Don’t be stupid!” Nayeon exclaimed, rushing forward to hold onto Mark. “What can you do when you’re like this?”

“Let go!” Mark pushed her away but he was still stopped by Jaebum and Jinyoung who grabbed him on each side. This time, the two of them were too strong for Mark to push them away.

“Don’t be stubborn.” Jaebum spoke in a low tone as he forcefully pulled Mark back into the room with Jinyoung’s help.

“For once, I agree with him.” Jinyoung muttered before he closed the door behind him.

Nayeon and Jeongyeon stared at the closed door, unable to react to what had just happened. It was after a brief silence that Nayeon finally dropped onto the floor as her tears flowed uncontrollably. Jeongyeon squatted down beside her and wrapped her arms around Nayeon’s shaking body.


“Isn’t this the mall that’s co-opened by Mystic Entertainment and Jaebum’s company??” Bambam looked out when Taecyeon parked the car in an alley near a mall.

Taecyeon nodded as he looked out into the dark too. 

“It’s also where a KC Telecom branch is located, remember?” 

“The basement—“

“That’s where they are.” Taecyeon confirmed. “We had a hard time finding them because they used the telecom’s satellite to hide their locations. They could have continued to do so but they are probably really confident with the brainwashing.”

“Brainwashing?” Bambam turned to look at the older man.

“I think you’re calm enough to realised that Mimi and Mark’s brother don’t recognise any of us.” Taecyeon paused and waited for Bambam’s response who eventually nodded with a soft apology.

Taecyeon smiled a little before he continued. 

“That’s due to brainwashing. I didn’t tell you guys anything because I wasn’t sure about it. I’ve tried to find more information about it while I was travelling around and now that I’ve seen it, I can almost confirm it.”

“Is there a way to undo it?”

“That, I’m not sure.” Taecyeon sighed in frustration. “I can only guess that it’s similar to how we code Udon but this time, they did the coding into a human being. Maybe that's the reason why they kidnapped her—“

“No way...” Bambam muttered. “That’s not possible!” 

“They’ve done it somehow and we can only learn how to undo it after we managed to bring the two of them back.”

“I’m sorry...” Bambam muttered and looked at his hands. “I’m sorry for lashing out at you and for accusing you of not doing anything. I didn’t know you’ve actually been tracking all these down.”

“Don't worry about that.” Taecyeon smiled and gave Bambam a pat on his head. “Grab your laptop instead. I want to know what's going on inside.”


In the basement, a loud scream filled the empty space. 

“Hold her down.” That was Im Jongmin’s cold instruction to the two men who’s now tying her wrists against a chair. Wires from different equipments were connected to her head as the woman tried struggled to escape. 

“Make sure she will be able to shoot right into the heart of those pests the next time they met.” 

“Yes boss.”

“004,” Jongmin turned to look at the young man beside him. “Just in case she managed to snap out from the brainwash when she meet those pests again, kill them all. Including her.”

“Yes boss.” Jisung answered monotonously, his eyes never leaving the girl while the brainwashing was going on. 


Back in the car, Taecyeon and Bambam darkened as they watched what’s going on in the basement. As much as they badly wanted to dash in to save Sunmi, they knew that they were in a disadvantage situation.

“Call Udon.” Taecyeon’s instruction was clear and firm. That was enough for Bambam to understand that they were going to save them no matter what. 

“What about the others?” Bambam asked in a scarily calm voice after he sent a message to Udon’s system.

“It will be best to keep them out this time.”

Silence took over the car again as Taecyeon stayed focus on the footage on their laptop screen. His fists tightening more with each scream Sunmi let out.


“Are we going to just let them be?” Jinyoung asked as he brushed a hand through his hair as the other gripped on the top of the couch tightly. “It’s just the two of them!”

“Of course we are not!” Jaebum stopped his pacing and turned back to look at Jinyoung. “But we have no idea where they are!”

“Udon’s activated.” Jeongyeon’s words caught everyone’s attention. “If we follow him, maybe we would be able to track them down.”

“Those two…” Jaebum inhaled deeply and closed his eyes. “They are ing idiots.”

“Let’s go.” Nayeon stood up from the couch. Despite her voice shaking slightly, her eyes were filled with determination. “Let’s join them.”

“No.” Jaebum objected immediately. “Only Jinyoung and I will go.”

Before the two girls could protest, Jinyoung interrupted them, having an understanding of what Jaebum meant.

“You girls were never meant to fight. It’s too dangerous this time. Beside…” Jinyoung paused for a moment and glanced at the closed door behind them. “We need the both of you to make sure Mark doesn’t do anything stupid. We already have two idiots putting themselves in grave danger out there, we don’t need another one.”

Nayeon and Jeongyeon stayed silent. Even though they’re unwilling, they also knew that Jinyoung was right.

“Alright.” Jeongyeon was the first one to answer. Nayeon turned to look at her and held onto her wrist but Jeongyeon ignored her silent pleas. “I will send you Udon’s location.”

“But Jeongyeon!” Nayeon exclaimed.

“It’s better this way.” Jeongyeon’s gaze softened as she turned to look at Nayeon. “It would also be easier to stop Mark with you around.”

Nayeon let out a sigh in defeat; there was no point arguing.

“Alright, please be careful.”


Jaebum cursed out loud when he saw an empty parking lot instead of his car being parked there. He should have been more careful. 

“Blame yourself later.” Jinyoung grabbed the back of Jaebum’s collar and pulled him to another direction. “My car’s there.”

Jaebum nodded halfheartedly but only for a brief second. His face was soon plastered by a determined look. He’s not going to let anyone get hurt anymore. He would, no, he must bring everyone back home.

Including Sunmi and Mark’s little brother.

“Let’s go.” Jaebum mumbled to himself and got into the passenger seat of Jinyoung’s car.

“This is going to be a dangerous ride.” Jinyoung muttered, putting on his seat belt at the same time as he watched his phone screen. “Udon’s moving at an ultra high speed and it seems like his attack mode is on. Which means—“

“Which means Taecyeon and Bambam desperately need his help.” Jaebum finished Jinyoung’s incomplete sentence. “Go as fast as you can. Your driving skill is recognised by all of us. Hopefully, there won’t be any car since it’s in the middle of the night.”

“Hold tight.” Jinyoung warned once they’re reaching the main road. 

Jaebum braced himself as Jinyoung stepped on the accelerator, a little harder this time.


Despite how fast Jinyoung drove, Udon was still faster than them. When he appeared in front of Taecyeon and Bambam, his gaze was serious and the realism of how his eyes looked normally was gone. 

“Udon,” Taecyeon started slowly after he got out from the car. “Sunmi’s inside. She’s the first person you saw when you’re activated, do you remember?”

Udon nodded.

“I know it’s hard, Bambam and I will assist you but remember, your main goal is to bring Sunmi and Jisung out. Shutting the enemies down too, if possible. Even if I’m in danger, ignore us—“

“Me too.” Bambam interrupted. “If I’m in danger, focus on your main goal.”

Taecyeon opened his mouth, wanting to protest but the determined look on Bambam’s face stopped him. Bambam wanted to save them as much as him, it’s hypocritical of him to stop the younger boy.

“Yes, that’s the mission. Udon, do you understand?” 

“Yes.”

“Let’s go.” 
 


` i think my writing are getting slower, i've been really distracted by my refound obsession with attack on titans and the levihan ship. but i've not forgotten about this story because, it's getting exciting. and i hope you find it exciting too! markyeon is finally blossoming, jinjeong will be making way for our main characters. and yes, sunmi and jisung! i forgot to make their character aesthetic, will do soon! nevertheless, i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

- ddeokbxkki -

p.s. do check out my newest oneshot collection!! https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1421975/