Week Four: Part Three (The End of An Era But The Start of An Age)

The Project
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: so we've reached the final main chapter of this fic. there is still a an epilogue left to go, i'm currently deciding if i'm going to post it in two parts or a one whole chapter.

(also i posted my minayeon/mohyo/satzu ceo au, check it out if you're interested in that)

enjoy :)

(sorry for the wait, my laptop had a meltdown)

 

Week Four: Part Three

"Are you sure you're okay to be doing this?" Mina asked her mother, the older women practically draged her daughter to the police station when Mina told her what had happened to Chaeyoung.

"You care about this girl?" Her mother stopped abruptly and turned to face her.

"A lot." Was all Mina could manage, she almost whispered and without another word, her mother continued on and left Mina behind in the waiting area.

It was a while before her mother returned, she didn't say anything as she walked with Mina towards her car. With every step she took, Mina grew more anxious. Her mother didn't speak until the doors of the car were firmly shut.

"So I'm not technically meant to disclose client information, so you have to promise what I'm telling you doesn't leave this car," Mina nodded and her mother reached across and took her daughter's hand in hers before speaking again, "if she talks, and tells who she was selling for, it's likely she'll face no charges and may even get some protection- but they don't know if that'll be neccessary. She just needs-"

"Family. He's family, the guy she used to sell for." Mina spoke and her mother sighed and nodded.

"That's what she told me too, it's either she tells the truth and faces- potentially, the backlash of her family or lies and faces the consequences of that." The older woman finished and looked over to Mina who was looking out the window and at the entrance to the station.

"Can I see her?" Mina asked, turning back to look at her mother who shook her head.

"No, they're keeping her here overnight but she isn't under arrest. Yet. They're going to question her again in the morning. I told her I'll be here first thing and I told her you were here too." She spoke to her daughter and Mina subtly tried to wipe a tear from her cheek.

"I know what you're thinking," Mina started and her mother looked voer at her again, "she's not a bad person." Mina finished.

"I know,she told me why she was doing it. She made a mistake, you two are young, it happens," Mina's mother started and smiled fondly at her daughter, "music school is pretty impressive. I'm glad you found her." She finished, squeezed Mina's hand one last time and then started her car.

"Can you just tell me everything is going to be okay? Everything was finally going well and then tonight it feels like every good thing in my life has broken." Mina now allowed herself to cry.

"Your father and I haven't been in a good place for a while now. We tried to make it work but sometimes in a relationship you have to have pain to avoid even more hurt in the future. But we will always make sure you and your brother know just how much we love and care for both of you." Her mother spoke, keeping her eyes on the road. It was dark and an road accident was really the very last thing they needed tonight. "And as for Chaeyoung, that girl seems to have a good head on her shoulder, she'll be okay. You two will be okay." She spoke and leaned over to place a kiss on her daughter's head as she reached a red light.

 

***

 

Mina barely slept all night, she woke and was surpised to hear someone downstairs in her house. Usually when she woke both her parents and her brother had gone to work. She looked at her clock and saw it was 10AM, she realised her mother had let her sleep in and miss school. She rose from her bed, now more confused who was in her home.

She was surprised to see Chaeyoung stood, in a change of clother from last night, stood in her kitchen. Mina stayed stood at the door and pulled the robe that covered her sleepwear a little tighter as she watched her girlfriend.

"Hey." Chaeyoung spoke softly when saw Mina stood in the doorway. "Your mother let me in, said I could wait whilst you slept and that I could stay as long as you wanted me." She spoke and then awkwardly placed her hands in her pockets, like she didn't know what to say, or do, next.

Mina almost ran to the basketball player and embraced her, she immediately felt Chaeyoung wrap her arms around her girlfriend. Mina let herself cry as the smaller girl held her close.

"I gave them his name, I told the whole truth." Chaeyoung almost breathed out and Mina didn't feel relieved, she always knew Chaeyoung would tell thr truth. "How are you holding up?" Chaeyoung asked as she pulled back and lead Mina to sit down, she held onto the older girl's hand and waited for her to speak.

"My parents are separating," Mina began, "I don't know how to feel. They both said it was coming...I'd rather them be happy separated then miserable and together." She finished and Chaeyoung smiled a small smile and leaned across and kissed the girl opposite her softly, before pulling back and holding onto her hand once more.

"I was going to make you breakfast but then I realised I can't actually cook." Chaeyoung spoke and for the first time Mina laughed a little at that.

"What did your parents say?" Mina asked and watched as Chaeyoung sighed.

"Well, they haven't called yet so I guess they know I snitched on my uncle." Chaeyoung spoke and then stood, trying to make something edible for the two of them. Mina stood behind her and wrapped her hands around the basketball player's waist.

"They'll know you've done the right thing." Mina spoke and as if on cue, Chaeyoung's phone sounded. Mina moved to grab it and then passed it to the younger girl.

"It's from my mother, she says my uncle has been arrested and she knows everything. Then she's put she's proud of me." Chaeyoung read aloud and seemed to choke up a little at the end.

"You okay?" Mina asked and hugged Chaeyoung again from behind once more and placed a kiss on her shoulder.

"Yeah. Sorry. It's the weirdest thing for your parents to say they're proud of you after nearly getting arrested." Chaeyoung joked and turned to kiss Mina, this time it wasn't just a soft kiss. It said more, it said thank you for being here and I'm falling in love with you.

"I have work at 4, it's my first shift at the cafe so I probably shouldn't be late; but I will be here until then, if you want me." She spoke and kissed Mina once more, the toast jumped, startling them both. Mina grabbed it from the toaster and it put in on a plate to finish preparing it for both of them.

"Thank you for being here I l-...I really appreciate you being here." MIna spoke before they ate. 

Maybe she did love Chaeyoung. Maybe that was crazy? Maybe or maybe with Chaeyoung it all felt so natural and intense at the same time.

 

***

 

Mina returned to school the next day, so did Chaeyoung. The basketball player insisted on driving Mina to school and she wasn't going to say no to spending more time with her girlfriend.

"Did your parents say anymore?" Mina asked and Chaeyoung shook her head as she pulled up to a red light, she looked over to the older girl and held her hand gently.

"They just said they were glad the truth was out." Chaeyoung spoke, Mina's hand as she did. "How about yours?" She turned the question back to the girl in her car.

"My dad is moving out soon...It's weird because I feel like I should be feeling horrible about all of this. I'm just glad they both seem to be okay, and it's civil at least." Mina spoke as Chaeyoung continued to drive through the traffic towards school. She liked how cute her girlfriend looked when she was concentrating hard when driving. "How was your first shift yesterday?" She asked and felt relieved when Chaeyoung smiled.

"Actually, it was really fun. Everyone is super nice and the owners seem like good people. It's a nice way to make a little money before going to university." Chaeyoung spoke and Mina found herself smiling once more.

"Are you exicted for your last game tomorrow?" She questioned once more and watched as Chaeyoung srunched her nose as she thought.

"Yeah...Nervous too and a little sad as well if I'm being honest. But at least my favourite girl will be there." Chaeyoung quickly pulled Mina's hand to her lips and placed a gentle kiss on it. Mina rolled her eyes as she blushed, her mother was right; she was so lucky to have someone like Chaeyoung in her life.

 

***

 

Momo didn't know if she should be nervous when she was called into the prinicpal's office first thing in the morning. She was sat next to her coach, who didn't give her any indication as to why she was there. They both watched as the woman on the other side of the desk kept them waiting whilst she finished typing on her computer.

"This morning I had an interesting phone conversation with the basketball association who mainly looks after high school and college basketball," she began and Momo nodded, her eyes flickering to her coach and then back to the prinicpal, "he told me there was some blood swapping done by certain members and teams that they oversee. It happened during a round of drugs testing that you were involved in Miss Hirai." The woman finished and now Momo was certainly nervous.

"So why is Momo here? Her results came back as clean?" Her coach asked and Momo slumped down her in seat, she really didn't want to be in that office.

"Three athletes that were tested on the same day as Miss Hirai were found to have swapped their blood samples, they fixed the results. All of the results were dismissed and the three athletes, as well as their coaches, have been suspended from the college game." The prinicipal finished and Momo sighed, she was a mixture of relieved and confused right in this very moment.

"So my previous drugs test stands again." Momo asked, and sighed once more when she saw her principal quickly shake her head.

"They stated you are a clean athlete. Congratulations Miss Hirai and good luck for tomorrow." The principal finished and dismissed Momo and her coach from her office.

 

***

 

"How am I a clean athlete? How did they not find my switched blood?" Momo asked Mina as the two friends sat on the basketball near Momo's home once more.

"I asked my dad if it was possible. He told me they never switched your samples, he couldn't go through with it." Mina told Momo who almost threw her head back in disbelief.

"My blood was clean all along?" Momo asked and Mina pulled her friend close and hugged her tightly, she realised the basketball player must be in a lot of shock right now.

"It was clean, which means the steroids must've had time to get out of your system." Mina proposed and Momo shook her head.

"The doctor who took my blood said that if there was steriods in my system they would still show up in my blood. It would be nearly impossible to have a negative result." MOmo spoke and Mina got an idea.

"Let me call Chaeng." She spoke and pulled her phone from her pocket quickly.

Only fifteen minutes passed before Chaeyoung arrived with the last remaining box of steroids she had left from what she had sold. She sat close to Mina and looped her arm through her girlfriend's as she handed the box over.

"So why do we need these?" She asked and watched as Mina handed the box over to Momo, she looked them over to make sure they were the same as the ones she had taken. They were.

"My blood wasn't swapped. It was always clean, which means the steroids I took weren't strong enough to stay in my system for long. Or they were deliberately made only to last in the body for a short time." Momo spoke and handed the box back to Mina.

"So you don't get the benefits of the steroids but they show up in a drugs test," she starts then turns to Chaeyoung, "did you uncle say anything about wekaing these?" She asked gesturing to the box, Chaeyoung shook her head then thought for a moment.

"No," she began then remembers pieces of information she had been told by the police and her uncle, "but he was contacted by a pro basketball team. They wanted steroids to do exactly what you said, stay in the system for long enough so someone fails a drugs test but doesn't give the athlete any advantage." Chaeyoung finished and the other two girls sighed.

"I guess this menas you didn't technically cheat." Mina spoke and Momo moved to lay on her back.

"But I did, well I had the intention to cheat. That's just as bad." Momo spoke but stopped suddenly when she heard someone climbing over the fence and making their way over to the three girls. She realised it was Nayeon, with her dog following cloesly behind.

"I was walking him and saw you three sat here." Nayeon took a seat next to her girlfriend and offered a smile to Mina and Chaeoyung. "What did I miss?" She spoke and all three girls looked at each other but it was only Chaeyoung who looked in Nayeon's direction.

"My uncle was doing criminal work for pro basketball teams and helping to make and sell seteroids that were fake, they were designed to stay in the body for a drugs test but give no physical advantage." Chaeyoung explained and Nayeon seemed to understand what she meant.

"So the improvements you made before your injury weren't because of the steroids but were all you." Nayeon spoke to Momo and the other two girls took this as their time to head home.

"I should be getting going, my mother will be expecting me home by now." Mina spoke as she stood, Chaeyoung stood too.

"How's she doing? How are you doing?" Momo asked and Mina smiled.

"We're getting through it." Mina spoke and Chaeyoung held onto her hand softly as she stood behind her and gently rested her chin on her taller girlfriend's shoulder.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow." Chaeyoung spoke as the t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter