Week One: Part One

The Project
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Week One. Part One.

"Momo, I am telling you, she's the most infuriating person on this planet. I've never met anyone else who can constantly get under my skin like she can; I don't understand how anyone can tolerate being around her." Mina ranted to Momo as the two best friends rode in the slightly older girls car on their way to school.

The two met on the first day of preschool and became instant friends when Mina offered Momo some of her jellies and now, even though the two girls were nearing the end of their school journey, they were still pretty much inseperable even when throughout their last few years they had decided to take different paths and had mingled with, and met, other people.

The two always came back to one another.

"Minari. Don't you think you talk about Son Chaeyoung an awful lot considering you, you know, hate her so much? Or so you say anyway." Momo hesistated to respond, her eyes on the road in front of her, it was raining and the roads were slippery so she made sure to be extra careful.

Mina adjusted the volume of the music playing to try and drown out the sound of the rain that was coming down heavily against the car. "I only talk about her when she does something to annoy me, which is quite often by the way. Anyway, you only want me to get along with her because you and her are like jock friends and can bond over basketball and gawk at cheerleaders all day." Mina returned Momo let herself laugh, she only had eyes for one cheerleader. The older girl decided that, as always when it comes to Mina and Chaeyoung, it was best not to push the topic. 

 

***

 

"We've got what? Two months left, you've just got to find a way for her to not get under your skin." Momo paused breifly from her work as she answered to one of Mina's further rants about her fellow basketball player. Hoenstly, she was tired of the weird tension between her two friends. On one hand Mina was her best friend but then Chaeyoung was also a good friend of her's, she just had to find a way for the two to finally get along.

"You say that like it's not impossible; she's the most manipulative, scheming person I've ever met. How do you expect her to not get under my skin. She's uses people, plays with them like they're toys and then moves onto the next one. She gets under everyone's skin, it's what she does best." Mina retorted as if it was obvious, once again Momo just laughed at her friend becuase sometimes she sounded riduclous; well actually, both girls did. Mina then just went back to writing down notes from the board.

"I need to ask you a serious question though." Momo spoke, suddenly and Mina was nervous. This wasn't a side she showed very often.

"Okay...I guess you can ask anything." Mina placed her pen down and put her full attention on Momo.

"Are you jealous of Chaeyoung?" She asked and Mina struggled to contain her laughter, so much so that the teacher at the front of the room turned to give her a glare and a sigh before going back to his work. 

"I'll take that as a no then." Momo mumbled before returning to her notes.

After what felt like an age the class finished and Mina moved onto her last class before lunch, that class was Psychology. It was Mina's least favourite class before there was nobody from theatre club, or no Momo, in there. The room was full of cheerleaders and some basketball players, the people were nice enough but just not Mina's crowd.

There was one more downside of the class however, and that was that non other than Son Chaeyoung was in the class. Even Mina would admit that Son Chaeyoung was one the most intelligent people she had met, she was effortlessly smart and didn't have to try hard to get good grades, maybe that was what frustrated Mina the most; she tried her hardest and got good grades but Chaeyoung barely even tried in class and somehow managed to be near the top of every subject she took. 

The feelings between Mina and Chaeyoung weren't just one-sided though. Son Chaeyoung definately felt the same about the older girl, as far as Mina knew anyway. There was an unspoken rivarly between them had been boiling over ever since they met on the first day of school; both of them since that day have almost dedicated every moment they spent together constantly trying to out do each other and really in the grand scheme of things, it was a game that etiher girl was ever going to win.

 

***

 

"Now for the next four weeks we will be doing a project which is a little different," the teacher spokeas she leaned on her desk, trying to hold onto everyone in the rooms attention before moving onto the nest slide of her presentation, "teen parenting. As psychology is all about the mind and how the way the world around us can affect us positively and negatively. I wanted to do something that is a taboo in soceity to see what the reactions of you are, and the reactions of those around you are. I want to see what will happen when teenagers are presented with an obstacle, a challenge, something life altering." She was cut off by the door swinging open and Son Chaeyoung entering, late, as usual.

"Sorry." Chaeyoung spoke lowly before immediately taking a seat next to Mina, which caused the taller girl to sigh and sink back into her seat.

"You will need to pair up for this project and it will make up a big percentage of your grade. So pair up!" The teacher, Ms Hye finishes, way too enthusiastically for Mina's liking.

Mina tried to avoid Chaeyoung's eyeline as she turned but eneded up finding herself disappointed when she saw that everyone was already partnered up, and so much to her distaste she turned back around to see Son Chaeyoung with a dumb smirk plastered on her face. "Guess we're partners." She spoke and once again Mina sighed.

 

***

 

"You know, this morning I was hoping you and Chaeyoung would start to get along and now this has happened, I must have a sixth sense or something." Momo mused before she dived into the plate of food infront of her, Mina didn't quite know how to respond to that so she just laughed at her best friend and her logic. Jihyo approached the table the two were sat at and placed her food on the table.

"You won't believe what happened to me in psychology." Mina started and Jihyo could just sense she was about to fall into another of her Chaeyoung rants.

"Momo already texted me. This could be good for you. The two of you might finally get along." Jihyo spoke before finally starting to eat. "Or maybe she won't turn up so you'll barely see her and you'll do great and get an A." Out of the three Jihyo was always the voice of reason, this occasion was no different 

Jihyo didn't have chance to tell how her day had been so far as three more people approached the table they were sat and placed their food down.

"Mina, Jihyo." Nayeon spoke as she sat before she placed a kiss on Momo’s cheek. Momo and Nayeon had been together for two years and were still crazy about each other.

At least that's what they showed to everyone around them, truth be told, things hadn't been the easiest between the two for a little while now. Both of them were just too scared to admit that things were changing and both of them were scared that they're relationship may not be as solid as they always thought.

The two others with Nayeon were Sana and Tzuyu. They were the only other cheerleaders apart from Nayeon that Mina got along with, even though her and Nayeon had known each other along time they only really got along through association to Momo. Sana, Momo and Mina all had Japanese parents and formed somewhat of a bond between them. Tzuyu was a whole other story. Mina hadn't spoken to her a lot but she seemed nice enough and the three always seemed to come as a package deal. In Min's eye, Tzuyu's only flaw was her friendship with Chaeyoung.

Jihyo however was another story, Tzuyu and Jihyo had some history. They hated each other and nobody knew why, in many ways the relationship between Jihyo and Tzuyu almost mirrored that of Mina and Chaeyoung.

"Nayeon told me about your psychology project situation. Chaeyoung is actually quite nice once you get to know her." Sana spoke in Mina's direction, Mina looked at the older girl and smiled. She really appreciated her effort to always make her feel included and even though their paths didn't cross as much as they'd both like but there was a friendship between the two that Mina really treasured.

"Well I should get going, I have film class next and it's on the other side of the building. I'll see you later?" Jihyo spoke in Mina's direction, who sent her a nod, before she got up to leave.

"Wait! Tzuyu is in that class, she can walk with you." Nayeon spoke up and Momo smirked, her and her girlfriend really were on the same wavelength.

"I'd rather not." Jihyo spoke before trying to leave once more.

"No, we should." Was the first words Tzuyu said before she quickly rose to follow Jihyo.

"What was that for?" Sana spoke in the direction of Nayeon and Momo as soon as Tzuyu and Jihyo were out of sight, and ear shot.

"Well Momo was saying that she wanted Mina and Chaeyoung to get along because she's friends with both of them. So I thought that because I'm friends with Tzuyu and Momo is friends with Jihyo, I could try and help to make them get along. I just want eveeryone to get along, we don't have long left here and I want everybody to have the best time that we can. Right, babe?" She finished in Momo's direction who smiled shyly, which didn't go unnoticed by either Sana or Mina who shared a quick look before resuming their eating.

 

***

 

Tzuyu and Jihyo walked step-for-step in complete silence, they both knew that everybody around them knew that they didn't like each other one bit. It's always been that way. Neither girl is afraid to admit it either and they don't plan on trying to form any sort of friendship with each other, they know exactly where they stand with one another and that's was good enough for both of them. At

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter