Week Two: Part Two

The Project
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: sorry for the delay, I had exams. Anyway enjoy some soft jitzu and saida and a lot of michaeng that may be angsty :)

also I didn't mean for saida to be as prominent in this fic but it just happened naturally and I really like their story in this so there are four main ships now: Michaeng, Namo, Jitzu and Saida

 

Week Two: Part Two

"Been a while since I've been here." Mina spoke after she had struggled to climb over the fence of the basketball court. She landed with a thud but soon recovered to make her way over and take a seat next to Momo. 

"Thanks for coming though. I didn't know if you would or not. It's kinda late, sorry about that." Momo spoke, although it was pointless. Both girls knew the other would always drop everything and go to the end of the earth if the other needed her. Momo needed Mina and so she was here.

"You're texts sounded, I don't know, worrying," Mina sighed, "so I came as soon as my parents were asleep. Is everything okay?" Mina didn't wait for Momo to respond as soon as she saw the older girl's head drop she immediately leaned over and pulled her close in a tight embrace.

"Nayeon ended things earlier, after practice." Momo mumbled, but Mina caught on to what she was saying. Momo sat up straight and looked straight ahead, trying to let the cool air dry her eyes. She played with the basketball near her feet whilst Mina tried to best respond to what her best friend had just told her.

"Oh." Was all she managed to muster as a response. Based on what Chaeyoung had told her, rather cryptically in her defence, she knew the couple were having some troubles but she didn't think it would come to this. In the past they'd just always made it work, maybe they got tired of trying to make it work all the time.

"Yeah," the basketball player sighhed, giving herself a moment, "I just accepted it. Seems like she had already made her mind up. It's not like I can blame her, though." Momo was talking slow, focusing on the ground. Mina knew she was upset; who wouldn't be if their partner of two years just ended things? She didn't know how to comfort Momo though, she didn't know all the facts, didn't know what had gone on. "I did something so stupid, Mina." She finished and now the younger had more of a grasp on the situation, or so she thought.

"Please tell me you did not cheat on her, I swear to god Hirai Momo," Mina spoke, she was angry and wrong but mainly just angry, "I thought you were better than that!" Momo tried to pitch in but decided it would just be best to the other girl finish her piece. "You know how much being cheated on can hurt someone! How could you be so careless?" Now Mina was finished.

"No...I didn't cheat. I love Nayeon. What I did might be worse though." Momo started, she took a deep breath before reaching into her jacket pocket and pulling out a bottle of pills. "I've been taking steroids. Last week she found some in my bathroom and flushed them. I promised her I wouldn't take them anymore but I found myself just getting these earlier." Mina could understand why Nayeon was angry when she found the steroids, she herself was angry, but in this moment she needed to be rational and she could see how much Momo was hurting, and how disgusted she already looked at herself. Her anger at her friends actions could wait.

"They're so dangerous. Why?" Mina spoke softly, she didn't want to dive into the actual break up yet. Right now the most important thing was Momo's health.

"I felt like I needed to take them to be able to compete," the older girl ran her hands over her face and and through her hair before pulling her hood over her head, something Mina knew meant she was feeling shy or unsettled, "I did stop taking them when she flushed them, she was angry, no, scared for me and my health and I realised getting them in the first place was wrong. I don't know why I went to get them today." Momo passed the bottle over to Mina who took it quickly. "Can you just get rid of them, I don't care how." Mina placed the bottle in her own pocket before sighing and looking over at her friend. Momo looked exhausted, the most she'd ever seen, maybe that was the come down from the steroids or the break up, she wasn't sure what she should say or do. 

So she decided to approach the topic head on. After pulling Momo into another hug, that was.

"What did Nayeon say? Was the break up because of these?" Mina asked, gesturing to the bottle in her pocket.

"I think it was the tipping point. There'e been a lot of things wrong recently. It's been hot and cold for sometime now, when we're great, we're great but when we're not...Some time apart. That's what she wanted. Probably for the best," Momo was spiralling and Mina could see her mind racing, going through everything, over analysing everytihng, "I know she hasn't given up on us but some time apart is basically just a kinder way to break up with me. I don't need her to protect my feelings. If she wanted to be done with me she should've just said. That would've hurt less because now I'm always going to think that there's a chance you know? A chance she might still want me one day." 

"I hate to say this because I know you're hurting," Mina tested the waters to see if she could continue. Momo showed her nothing to stop her, so she continued, "I think Nayeon is right. Both of you are at a difficult period in your life, we all are. You're graduating soon and going different ways. Maybe she does just need time and although now you don't think so, maybe you do too." Momo nodded, she knew Mina was probably right, as usaul. "Take this a chance to reflect on your relationship, and your future, see if you want to be with Nayeon and if you do then fight for her. Be with her, show her you want to be with her. Prove to her you two can make this work." Mina reasoned and now it was Momo pulling the other girl into a hug, she always knew the right thing to say.

"I just can't stop thinking what would've happened if maybe I fought for us more." Momo spoke and Mina knew she was relfecting and didn't need any input or advice from her.

"Where did you get the steroids from anyway?" Mina asked after a moment of calm.

"Chaeyoung. She gave me a guy's number."

 

***

 

Chaeyoung was minding her business as she made her way through the school hallways, occassionally exchanging greatings with fellow basketball players or some cheerleaders she was friends with. For once she wanted to be on time to class and make a good impression. Sadly, someone else had other ideas as she was pulled into an empty classroom and left standing face-to-face with Mina, who considering was the reason she was there, didn't look pleased to see her.

"Can you please explain to me what these are?" Mina asked, not even giving Chaeyoung a second to process what was happening. Without missing a beat Mina forcelly pushed the steroids into the younger girls hand.

"They're not mine." Chaeyoung defended herself, looking at the bottle before trying to hand it back to Mina, who rejected them. It was true, they weren't hers but she guessed Mina already knew that. Chaeyoung had never personally taken them, she just people where they could get certain medicines that weren't sold over the counter.

"Why did you tell Momo where she could get them? Do you know how much harm things like these can do?" Mina was angry with the younger girl and she understood why but at the same time, she never forced Momo to take them. That was her own choice.

"She said she was struggling and I told her these might help. I never explicitly said that they would help though and I told her aobut how dangerous they are." Chaeyoung spoke and Mina threw her arms up in the air, as if warning her made the younger girl innocent in this.

"Unbelievable...You're atually unbelievable. Just when I thoguht you were okay I find out you're pulling somehting like this. How long have you been doing this?" Mina quesitoned, and Chaeyoung certainly felt like she was on trial, as she took a seat on the edge of one of the desks in the room.

Chaeyoung joined her and sat next to her, too close for Mina's liking so she moved one desk away. "I didn't know she was actually going to get them. I gave her the number in the heat of the moment, normally I wouldn't give anyone at school it. It was wrong of, I'll do better next time if I'm in that situation." Chaeyoung's apology was genuine but that didn't make up for what she was doing. 

"What do Dahyun and Jeongyeon...Even Tzuyu think of you doing this?" Mina asked and she got her answer when Chaeyoung just sighed and tore her gaze away from her for the first time. "They don't know do they? But why?" Mina sounded like she was concerned, maybe even worried for the younger girl but still so angry.

"I need the money. Not all of us have doctors and lawyers as parents who will pay for anything they need. I have to do this." Chaeyoung defended, maybe a little too harshly but she really didn't like how Mina was treating her like she had committed an awful crime.

"I've seen your house, you're hardly poor." Mina responded flippantly and Chaeoyung rolled her eyes, it was true. Her family did well but that doesn't mean she had access to any of that money.

"I'm funding my education, my parents don't think my plans for the future are the right path so they're not giving me any money. They don't know about it either, they think I work at some coffee shop out of town." Mina moved to sit next to Chaeyoung once more, the younger girl still didn't look at her, in fact she almost looked embarressed.

"And what are your future plans?" Mina spoke softly and Chaeyoung honestly didn't know whether to tell her or not, so far Dahyun was the only other person outside of her family that knew what she wanted in life.

"I want to go to music school." She spoke simply.

"Music school?" Mina questioned and the younger girl nodded, she was serious about this.

"My parents wanted me to take one of the basketball scholarships I was offered but said I couldn't study music so I turned them all down and applied and got accepted by the Seoul Institute of the Arts. They don't take many people each year but my parents said if I wanted to go there I would have to pay for it all myself. I've got some scholarships but I need this money." Chaeyoung spoke sadly, she wasn't proud of how she was earning her money but she didn't have to tell Mina that there were a lot worse things she could be doing to collect the money she needed.

"Did you not think to just get a normal job? What if the university finds out? They'll kick you out before you even start." Mina spoke, and Chaeyoung was confused why the older girl seemed to care so much.

"I'm careful. You're the only person who knows. Anyway, the cut I get from passing on and selling is higher than any part-time work around here. It was just an opportunity that came around that I couldn't turn down." The blonde girl spoke and Mina felt for her, doesn't change the fact that what she is doing is wrong but she felt for her.

"How'd you even find the guy you sell for?" Mina questioned further and Chaeyoug sighed once more.

"He's a family friend, they just, they think he's an accountant. They don't know how he actually makes his money." Chaeyoung explained briefly. "Please just promise you won't tell anyone, this is all so complicated already." Chaeyoung was practically begging and Mina was torn. The right thing to do would be to tell Chaeyoung that she needs to stop but at the same time she understood that why she was doing what she was.

"I can't promise anything. Just keep it away from this school, and away from my friends." Mina spoke, rising to leave. Chaeyoung was quicker though and blocked her exit. Mina tried to get past but Chaeyoung, although the smaller of the two, was stronger.

"Please promise, Mina. Please." Chaeyoung spoke but Mina didn't reply instead she tried to push past Chaeyoung but once again had no real luck instead she just ended up being a lot closer to the younger girl. Dangerously close to the younger girl.

"Don't give out his number to anyone else in school and I won't tell anyone. I'll make sure Momo and Nayeon don't either." Mina countered, striking a deal. 

"Thank you." Chaeyoung begins and Mina tries to leave but this time Chaeyoung just grabs onto her hand and keeps her close. "I am really sorry for giving Momo his number and getting her on them, I'm just happy she had Nayeon and you looking out for her. You're a better friend, and person, then I'll ever be." She finished and Mina squeezed her hand before placing her hand on the younger girls cheek.

"You're not a bad person, Son Chaeyoung." Mina spoke softly, her eyes flickered from the younger girl's lips up to her eyes, back to the lips before leaning in ever so slightly, almost teasingly so. 

She realised this was a bad idea and pulled back before, just like on Friday, Chaeyoung was the brave one and inched closer to Mina to see how she reacted, she didn't pull back or say anything but Chaeyoung took her slightly unsteady breathing as a sign to continue, which she did. She leaned in and connected their lips. Mina reciprocated immediately. It wasn't like their kiss on Friday that was rushed and in the heat of the moment, this one felt like it meant something. It meant something to Chaeyoung. 

The basketball player moved to deepen the kiss and Mina freaked, jolting backwards and pulling away from Chaeyoung. "That was a mistake. You can't just kiss me so I keep your secret." Mina spoke, even she didn't really believe herself that was the reason but she needed to believe it.

"I wouldn't do that. Not to you." Chaeyoung responded and slumped against the wall slightly. 

"That's exactly the sort of thing you would do, Chaeyoung," Mina opened the door to the room and turned back one last time, "you were right yesterday. You did read the signals wrong." Mina stood for second before making her way out of the door.

"Then why did you kiss me back just now? I know that what just happened and you wanted it to happen as much as I did." Chaeyoung was now the one with the questions.

"Just keep me out of your dealings and leave me alone, Chaeyoung." Mina left Chaeyoung alone and as she watched the older girl make her way quickly down the hallway she felt a lump form in which she quickly swallowed before composing herself and wiping her lips, hoping to remove any trace of Myoui Mina left on them.

 

***

 

Mina was off for the rest of the day and at lunch, Jihyo certainly didn't miss it. 

"Everything okay?" Jihyo asked the younger girl as she noticed that she had hardly touched her food, she hoped she wasn't getting sick. That would throw off Jihyo's plan for the following night.

"No, I'm good. Just not feeling it today." Mina spoke before pushing her plate away from herself and taking out her water bottle from her bag.

"Is it okay if I sit here? All the other cheerleaders are on different lunch today and Dahyun is studying. Chaeyoung, I don't even think she's here today. Have you seen here?" Tzuyu asked, directing the last question at Mina.

"No, I haven't seen her all day." Mina lied to both girls, Tzuyu didn't seem to pick up on her lie though, she was too focused on Jihyo.

"What are you doing tomorrow night?" Jihyo addressed both girls sat with her.

"I'm free. For the game right? I didn't know you were going." Tzuyu mused, Jihyo kept quiet. Chaeyoung entered the cafeteria and made her way to the table where the girls were sat and took a seat next to Tzuyu. Mina and her looked eyes for a brief moment before trying to look anywhere but at each other.

From: jihyo: everything alright? I saw that look with Chaeyoung.

Mina's phone sounded, she looked at the message f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter