Thank You

Waiting In The Clouds

It was awkward.

 

Baekhyun was seated next to Chanyeol as their group sat in a row in the cafeteria. Sitting across them was another group, and more specifically, Sehun was sitting opposite the two, smiling happily.

 

“Soooo...How good of a kisser is Chanyeol?”

 

Baekhyun spat out his water, alarming the people around him. Chanyeol’s eyes widened at Sehun’s question, and he too was as equally shocked as Baekhyun. Baekhyun coughed a few times, the abruptness of Sehun’s question really got to him, and Chanyeol being the nice ‘friend’ he is, patted his back gently, causing Baekhyun to turn red even more.

 

“Sehun, don’t joke around like that. Baekhyunnie here is choking because of you.” Chanyeol scolded, but Sehun was squealing all over again, confusing the two.

 

“Did you just call Baekhyun, Baekhyunnie?” Sehun laughed once more, pointing at his best friend’s face that was starting to flush, ears turning red with embarrassment. Baekhyun started to turn red as well, now that Sehun had brought it up, Chanyeol did start giving him a pet name - Baekhyunnie. And when he thinks about what happened this morning, the way they hugged as they slept- Baekhyun covers his face with his hands, feeling hot about the entire situation. 

 

Sehun stopped teasing the two once he notices that they’re at their limit, both turning red at his little cheeky remarks, and it’s not even 9am yet! If only they had the guts to confess right now, how much easier life would become if they just told each other how they really felt. Sehun thinks, plus, it would be great to win the bet.

 

“I-I’m going to the toilet, I need to pee.” Baekhyun stands up, feeling flushed as his thoughts become crazier and intense. He stands up, and runs to the washroom to hide inside. Chanyeol stares at Baekhyun as he leaves, he seemed a little odd today.

 

“Missing your boyfriend already?” Sehun teases once more. Chanyeol punches his friend’s arm, whining at Sehun’s incessant teasing.

 

“Sehun stopppp, you’re making both of us uncomfortable.”

 

“Oh, really? Are you sure it’s not your fault?” Sehun opens his photo album, showing the photo he took from this morning. 

 

What. The. .

 

Chanyeol feels beyond scandalized, chills run down his spine as he sees a picture of him and Baekhyun, sleeping like a couple, with Baekhyun’s head on his chest while his own arms were wrapped tightly around Baekhyun’s waist.

 

“Aww looks like Baekhyun had his fairytale ending. Look at his old bully now hugging him tightly and not wanting to let go, from housemaid to now boyfriend?” Sehun continues to chuckle, noticing Chanyeol continuing to pale.

 

“Oh My God. What did I just do.” Well, Chanyeol was pale for two reasons. One, why wasn’t he awake? What an amazing opportunity, it was something he could only imagine in his dreams, so why was he stuck in dreamland, when this time around, it was reality? Two, how was he going to face Baekhyun after this? From the picture it looks like Baekhyun was half awake, meaning he kinda knew what was going on. Chanyeol removed his cap and pulled at his hair, what a mess.

 

“Don’t worry bro, your sidekick Sehun will support you all the way.” Sehun comforts, earning a glare from Chanyeol, and quickly shuts up once he sees Baekhyun returning. The moment Chanyeol made eye contact with Baekhyun, he immediately blushed and turned away. Baekhyun was about to question him, but luckily for Chanyeol, the day’s itinerary just happened to be announced.

 

“Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a good rest, today we have a very special day lined up for you guys…”

 

-

 The afternoon consisted of a hiking trail which was an hour’s drive away from central seoul. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were once again put in the same team, thanks to Sehun.

 

The goal was for every team to reach the top of the mountain, with the fastest team winning attractive prizes from the camp sponsors. The University, being extremely rich with wealthy sponsors, it meant that when the prizes were attractive, they were crazy attractive. Past year participants have won things like the latest game consoles, branded bags and even cars. That’s how excited everyone is for the hike. However, to Chanyeol, it’s nothing new, he has all those already. He’s just gonna have fun on this hike and get to know Baekhyun better.

 

Huffing and panting throughout the hike, Chanyeol and Baekhyun make small talk along the way, trying to forget whatever happened this morning and going back to how they are usually. Chanyeol chuckles a lot throughout the hike, realising that Baekhyun is actually pretty humorous, the smaller was full of aegyo and cheekiness.

 

Nearing the late afternoon, at around 4pm, they decided to take a break at a more secluded area, sitting down on the ground as they stared at the sun beginning to set.

 

“I’m sure some people are already nearing the top, but it’s nice like this, isn’t it?” Baekhyun comments, wrapping himself with his jacket. As the sun will soon begin to set, the weather seems to be even colder.

 

“Yeah,” Chanyeol breathed out, “And also, this camp turned out to be better than I expected, I was kinda dreading this hike to be honest.” Chanyeol jokes, causing Baekhyun to chuckle.

 

“Same for me, I was thinking if I should waste my time going for these kind of camps, I’m honestly grateful that your grandmother forced me to come and even paid for my registration fees...the price is no joke.” Baekhyun huffs, and Chanyeol is silently thanking his grandmother in his head, he reminded himself to go visit her once camp is over.

 

“Then that’s great, Baekhyun.”

 

“But sometimes, I can’t help but feel guilty, like Minjun and I are just freeloaders in your house,” Baekhyun sighs as he stares at the sun.

 

“And when I’m enjoying and having fun without Minjun, I feel like I’m such a terrible brother. It made me remember how tough we had it in the beginning, I even had to skip meals just to get Minjun’s baby formula, those things cost so much money. And Minjun would just cry and cry.” Baekhyun couldn’t control his tears now, as he thinks back about his past experiences, they were painful memories, and all Baekhyun wished for is that he and Minjun wouldn’t have to suffer like that ever again.

 

Chanyeol was a little shocked at Baekhyun’s sudden pouring out of emotions, his little sniffles don’t go unnoticed by the taller, and slowly Chanyeol moves his hand up and down Baekhyun’s back, hoping to calm him down.

 

“Hahah...sorry about this, maybe it’s the mountains...they’re making me feel sad.” Baekhyun tries to diffuse the situation as he notices Chanyeol scrunching his eyebrows worriedly at him.

 

“Baekhyun, I don’t think you’re a bad brother at all. You were just a pre-teen when you were told to take care of him, I actually think that you’re really impressive.” 

 

“R-Really?”

 

“Yeah! And don’t think of yourself as a freeloader at all, you are doing the housekeeping in the house, maintaining the grades that grandma told you to for the scholarship, and you are even taking up a part time job at Chenel! You are enough, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol tried to encourage, he just wanted to get that sad expression off of Baekhyun’s face.

 

“I’m worried that one day, my parents will come back and only take Minjun. I can’t bear to separate from him, he’s the only family I have left.” Baekhyun sobbed into his hands, he really didn’t know why out of all people, he had poured out his bottled up anxieties to Chanyeol. But well, life is always full of surprises.

 

Chanyeol immediately thinks back about what his grandmother told him a couple months ago. It broke his heart hearing that Baekhyun had to sacrifice so much in his childhood, and to think that he added fuel to the fire by tormenting Baekhyun caused his stomach to churn with disgust. Baekhyun deserved to be loved, he had such a pure and genuine heart.

 

“Grandma will protect you, I will protect you. Nobody is taking Minjun away from you okay, and I’m sure Minjun would hate to separate from you too. Come here,” Chanyeol opens up his arms, this time, he genuinely wanted to give Baekhyun a big, warm hug, to tell him that everything will be okay.

 

Baekhyun chuckles a little, before surrendering and falling into Chanyeol’s embrace, returning his open arms with a hug around his waist. Baekhyun immediately felt comforted, and they just stayed that way while watching the sun set. Baekhyun snuggled even closer to Chanyeol, feeling a little cold from the wind blowing.

 

“Thanks, yeol.”

 

Chanyeol smiles as a returning gesture, and he doesn’t think he can ever let go now. 

 

We’re just friends, but everytime I see you, why do I smile so wide?