that one time taeil moved in with a bunch of strangers

That One Time in Uni

A/N: hey everyone! im sorry that it's been so long since I updated. I just started my semester of study abroad so right now I am extra busy, so I apologize. I know I usually update my stories very quickly but that might not be the case for this one. I will be way busier than usual this semester but I will make time to write for sure! I love you all

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On move in day at Taeil's new university, the only thing he felt was a sense of sameness. Yes, he was moving out of his parent's house, at least until winter break. But he would still be living with his brother, only about an hour or two from his suburban hometown. His brother would rule the school, yet again, and Taeil would be the loser who was just searching for whatever scraps of happiness that Hyungil had left behind. 

After careful research on his part and careless agreement on Hyungil's part, Taeil had discovered Soonchunhyang University. Maybe it wasn't crazy high rated academically, but it was big and not too far from Seoul, so if Taeil needed a break, or Hyungil wanted to party, they could go up for the weekend. His parents liked it, too, since they could come and visit whenever they missed 'them' (Taeil was sure they only meant Hyungil). 

But the main reason Taeil chose it was because of the international program. His English skills were alright, but he knew they could improve a lot, and knowing English well would open up a lot of opportunities for him. Plus, he could teach the exchange students Korean, and tutoring was always something he was interested in. Hyungil had liked the idea of getting to know cute girls from all over, so the decision was easy. Mostly, though, Taeil liked it because of the dorm structure: since his parents made sure the two siblings would stay in the same dorm, he and Hyungil would live in a suite with ten other boys, two students per bedroom, all twelve of them sharing a living room and a bathroom. Each Korean student had to share a bedroom with an international student, so Taeil and Hyungil at least wouldn't have to share a bedroom any more. Plus, since there were ten other kids with them, Taeil would have much less of a chance of interacting with his brother. 

"Are you guys excited?" Taeil's mom asked from the front seat. 

"Yeah," Taeil and Hyungil both answered disinterestedly. At this point, neither of them were too excited about university. 

"We're here!" Taeil's dad said, pulling up into the parking lot. They hopped out and stood in the long line to get their keys, waiting in utter silence. Hyungil at least had the wherewithall not to tease his brother at that moment; in Taeil's mind, Hyungil's bad score had ruined his life. 

They got their keys, finally, and went to go grab their luggage from the backseat of the car. 

"Oh honey, I'll miss you so much," Taeil's mom cooed, kissing both of Hyungil's cheeks. 

"Bye son. Please, make something of yourself," Taeil's dad said to Taeil, pulling him in for a reluctant hug, on both of their parts. Taeil and Hyungil silently hugged their other parents before taking their things and going into the elevator. 

"I can't believe you picked a dorm where we have to share a place with ten other dudes," Hyungil said, turning to his brother before smirking. "Or are you into that?" 

Taeil flushed but kept his sarcastic game face on. "There are no dorms that let you share with girls, believe me, I looked. This isn't America, and with your scores we couldn't have gotten into a school there if we tried." 

The elevator dinged and open, the hallway flush with people chattering nervously. Hyungil greeted all of them with his cocky grin, and Taeil pushed his way through. While Hyungil lived for big groups of people, crowds just made Taeil nervous. 

They finally reached the door and Taeil unlocked it with shaky fingers, suddenly incredibly nervous at the idea of meeting these ten other boys. Taeil knew already what they would be like: just ten average guys, enamored with Hyungil's handsomeness and charm, following him around everywhere so they could catch a little piece of his popularity. Still, a well suppressed part of Taeil wanted them to like him instead. 

He finally managed to get the door open, pushing his way inside to see...nothing. The dorm opened on the living room, with a few boxes scattered here and there, but otherwise no people around. But he heard the chatter of low, male, young adult voices, and Taeil figured they were putting their own things away in their individual rooms. 

Hyungil and Taeil looked at each other awkwardly. 

"Well, I'm going to my room," Hyungil said. 

"Y-yeah," Taeil stuttered. "Me too." As much as he disliked his brother, he was terrified to meet his new roommate all by himself. At least his brother was familiar. 

"See you in a minute," Hyungil called as he walked down the hall towards his own room. Taeil watched him go for half a second before turning down the other hallway. He looked down at his key for a moment, the little chain reading '127A'. He proceeded to walk down, looking at each door way before he reached the one labelled for him. The door was shut, but it opened when he pushed it slightly. 

The door creaked and the man who must have been his new roommate turned around with a smile. "Oh! You must be my roommate," the boy said in barely accented Korean. "I'm Johnny."

Taeil's heart stopped in his chest. His new roommate was utterly gorgeous: at least a head or two taller than him, with thick dark hair that ended in a slight curl over his forehead. His eyes were soulful yet bright, and his grin made Taeil's cheeks turn a little red. By his name and very slight accent, he could tell Johnny was American. Despite his handomeness and apparent charm, though, Johnny seemed different than his brother. There was something about him that struck Taeil as being totally genuine. 

"I-I'm Taeil," he finally managed to answer, looking around awkwardly, afraid he'd embarrass himself if he looked at Johnny's face again. 

"Nice to meet you!" Johnny responded, chuckling. "Don't worry. Even though I'm from America I always spoke Korean with my family at home. We won't have a language barrier."

"Oh, that's good," Taeil answered with relief. "My English is very bad," he added, with a heavy accent. 

"Doesn't sound like it to me," Johnny said a chuckle, standing aside. "Come on in! Our room looks pretty small, but we'll make it work." 

Taeil stepped in and realized Johnny was totally right. They each had a desk but the dorm was quite small, with a set of small windows and a bunk bed. Luckily the decor was bright, and there was quite a bit of storage space. Johnny had already started putting things up, pictures lining one side of the desk. He looked so happy, with his friends and family. Taeil was a little embarrassed; he didn't have any photos with him.

"Are you more of a top bunk or a bottom bunk kind of person?"

"Bottom," Taeil answered immediately. 

"Okay, good," Johnny responded with a relieved chuckle. "I'm an only child so I never got a bunk bed, but I always wanted the top one." 

Taeil chuckled slightly at Johnny's story, beginning to open his light luggage and pack his clothes into the cabinets. Johnny put on all of his bedding and flopped onto the top bunk, his massive limbs stretched out. 

"I'm so tired," he spoke, filling in the silence. "I got on the bus here right after my flight landed. I don't think I've slept for twenty-four hours."

"How long was the flight?" Taeil asked politely. 

"Fourteen hours," Johnny groaned. 

"Oh god," Taeil answered. 

Suddenly, a knock on the door made both Johnny and Taeil turn their heads. "Come in," they spoke in unison. 

Taeil's jaw dropped when yet another incredibly handsome boy, with fierce eyebrows and a perfect jawline, pushed open the door. 

"Hey guys! I was thinking we should all introduce ourselves in the living room in, like, five minutes?" He spoke in perfect Korean, clearly not one of the exchange students.

"That sounds good to me," Johnny said. 

"Y-yeah," Taeil added. 

"Cool. See you then!" He closed the door, and Taeil's mind couldn't stop racing. 

Both Johnny and this new guy were definitely more attractive than his brother, and for now, they seemed quite nice. Taeil wondered how his brother would react to being surrounded by his equals, at least in that respect.

Five minutes later Johnny slid off the bed, smiling at Taeil. "Shall we?"

Taeil smiled and nodded, following Johnny's absolutely massive frame out of the door. They walked the short distance in to the living room to see all ten of their roommates already scattered on couches and the floor, waiting for them patiently. All of them looked up and gave the roommates a welcoming smile, beckoning them into the circle, except for Hyungil. 

Taeil and Johnny fitted into the last spot on the floor when the guy who had asked them to join this meeting perked up. 

"Um, I guess we should introduce ourselves? Say our names, where we're from, and what room we're in." Everyone nodded and looked at him expectantly. He perked up and gave them a dazzling smile. "I'm Taeyong and I'm Korean. I live in 127B." 

He looked expectantly at the boy around Taeil's height sitting next to him on the couch. He gave Taeyong a look, Taeyong nudged him back, and he turned to the group reluctantly. "Um, I'm Ten and I'm from Thailand. He's my roommate," Ten added, grinning at Taeyong and lightly slapping his arm. Taeil just gaped at him; maybe he wasn't as tall as Johnny or Taeyong, but he was gorgeous too. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Hyungil making a face, but it was his turn to go. 

"Hey, I'm Hyungil, I'm Korean too. I live in 127E." He gave a greasy, and Ten grimaced back at him, before giving Taeyong a look. Taeyong chuckled, and Ten widened his eyes and covered Taeyong's mouth with his hand. 

"Ah, hello," the next guy started. He had a more homey look than the rest of them but he was still very good looking, his Korean accented. "I'm Kun, I'm Chinese, and I live in 127E too." Taeil tried to hide his expression of pity. 

The next boy looked around shyly, and yet again, he was beautiful looking. Long, lengthy limbs and a regal, powerful expression decorated his body. "I'm Sicheng," he spoke with a very heavy Chinese accent. "I'm Chinese. I live in 127C." He looked down at his feet shyly before nodding at the guy sitting next to him. 

Taeil almost rolled his eyes. How was this guy attractive too? His eyes seemed sparkle and when he smiled, even Taeil felt like he had to look down at his feet. "I'm Yuta," he said cheerfully, barely an accent on his lips. "I'm Japanese, and I live in 127F."

The next boy looked definitely annoyed by this ice breaker activity but even still...he was somehow hot. Taeil looked over at his twin, who seemed to be fuming. "I'm Doyoung. I'm Korean. I'm Yuta's roommate." He looked over at the guy sitting next to him, and Taeil noticed Doyoung allow his eyes to dart up and down this new guy's frame. 

And Taeil understood why because...he was hot too! He had this angelic boy next door look, and he noticed Doyoung make a face when he smiled at him. "I'm Jaehyun, I'm Korean too. I live in 127C with Sicheng!"

"Is it my turn?" The next boy answered with a giggle. He reminded Taeil a lot of his brother: he was tall and very handsome, dressed in a sort of boy style. But, there was something in his smile that seemed purely sweet. "I'm Yukhei! I'm from Hong Kong. I live in 127D with this guy." He patted the shoulder of the boy next to him, who had curled up into a ball with red cheeks. Even behind all that, Taeil could see that he, too, was handsome. 

"I-I"m Jungwoo," he stuttered slowly. "I am Korean. I-I live in 127D."

Taeil looked over and saw that he and Johnny were the last one, Johnny smiling at everyone's with that grin of his. When Johnny directed that smile at him, Taeil felt momentarily dazzled. 

"I'm Johnny. I'm Korean but I grew up in America, and I live in 127A." Johnny looked over at Taeil expectantly. 

"I-I guess I'm last," Taeil started, and Hyungil snorted. Taeil gave him a glare before continuing. "I'm Taeil. I'm Korean, and I live in 127A too." 

"Is that everyone?" Taeyong asked, looking around, and they nodded back at him. 

"Did you guys come in together? How do you know each other?" Doyoung suddenly asked, looking between Taeil and Hyungil.

"We're brothers," Taeil explained. 

"Oh, that makes sense. I thought you looked kind of similar," Johnny responded. Taeil looked confused and Hyungil looked horrified. 

"Twins, actually," Taeil added reluctantly. 

"We're fraternal," Hyungil spoke. 

"Oh," Ten answered with a sarcastic smile. "I'm glad." Everyone looked around uncomfortably while Ten looked on with a smug grin, and Kun cleared his throat. 

"Um, should we finish unpacking?" He suggested. 

"Yeah, yeah, for sure," Taeyong responded, grabbing Ten's arm and tugging him away. Ten threw Hyungil a wink before following after his roommate. 

As everyone else began to disperse back to their rooms, Hyungil stood up and tapped Taeil's shoulder. 

"Let's explore together, alright? Check out the cafeterias." 

Taeil gave him a confused look. "Um, alright?" He answered, quickly telling the others where they were going and putting on their shoes to head out. 

As soon as they stepped out of the door, Taeil looked up at his brother. 

"What the do you want? Why do you want me to come with you?"

"With you around, I look better by comparison," Hyungil answered, and Taeil smiled. If Hyungil felt like he had to look good through comparison, that meant he was a little insecure about being around their gorgeous roommates. "Anyways, I have something I need to tell you about."

"What is it?"

His voice dropped to a whisper. "So, you know Ten?" Taeil nodded, thinking of his short, Thai suitemate. Taeil then furrowed his eyebrows, remembering all the weird interactions that had gone down between Ten and Hyungil that day. Normally, Taeil wouldn't care about Hyungil's problems, seeing as he had very few, and most were insignificant. But Taeil's curiousity had been peaked. "I've met him before."

"Where?" Taeil asked with surprise. 

"At an international competition a year or two back," Hyungil explained. "I was there for soccer, and he was there for dance." 

"Did you talk to him at all?"

"Well...yeah, I guess," Hyungil answered, his voice dropping even lower. "So he was there on the dance team for his school with a big group of girls, right? The girls were really hot too, so I thought he was trying to get it. But...no way. He was like, so loud and giggly, like a ing girl. He was all like 'oh my god'." Hyungil imitated a high pitched, feminine voice. "And...ugh, the other girls were talking about how cute the guys were, right? And he ing joined in! It was so gross." Hyungil made a face. "So me and the boys on the team, like, we had to protect ourselves. So we went up to him and told him off for it. He was all like 'what's your ing problem?'" Again, Hyungil immitated a high pitched voice. "And I was like, what's your problem, ?" Taeil had no reaction, he was used to Hyungil talking like that. He was glad it just wasn't in reference to himself. 

"Oh," Taeil said, knowing his brother was expecting some reaction out of him. 

"He didn't even deny it! And all the girls on his team got pissed. It didn't matter, none of them had anyways, but...obviously he doesn't like me, and I don't ing like him. I can't believe I have to live in the same house as a ! I feel bad for his roommate though." 

"It seems like they might have already known each other," Taeil mumbled, judging from what he noticed of their interactions. 

"Still....ing gross. We'll see what happens, but we might have to request a room transfer. I can't live with a ." 

"Maybe," Taeil said. He didn't quite know what to think of all of this. 

"Wanna go back up? I've still got a ton of to unpack, plus I don't really wanna be seen with you any more." 

"Fine by me," Taeil answered, and they started the walk up back to their dorm in silence. 

Taeil had a lot to think about. Hyungil's word was not always to be taken seriously; he had a low brow for what he considered 'gay', and Ten may or may not actually be. Taeil didn't really find himself caring that Ten was gay, for whatever reason. All he really cared about was that there wouldn't be conflict between the two of them. Really, all Taeil wanted was to be able to study and do choir in peace, avoiding his brother as much as possible. If that worked out, he couldn't care less what Ten did in his spare time. 

They got back to the door and pushed it open, taking off their shoes and walking to their individual rooms. Taeil pushed open the door to see Johnny sitting down on his chair, his giant legs draped over his desk. He looked up at Taeil and smiled. 

"Hey! I was wondering when you'd get back." 

Taeil flushed and looked at the wood floors, trying to hide his shy smile. "I-I just went for a short walk."

"Come, sit down." He gestured to Taeil's desk chair, and Taeil took a seat. "I want to hear about you. Tell me what it's like to live in Korea." 

Taeil looked at him in surprise before giving in, starting to speak as Johnny listened attentively. Even if this first semester was hell, at least there was one thing he would enjoy.