that one time taeil and johnny went on some double dates

That One Time in Uni

Being Johnny's was magic. 

It had only been a few weeks since Johnny's confession, and Taeil was the happiest he thought he had ever been. It was the little things that made everything so special:  the gentle kisses he would receive every day when he came home, the little notes Johnny slipped into his backpack to find, during the long dull hours of class time, the soft caress of Johnny's fingers rubbing his neck during late night study sessions, Johnny's giant body squished against his during their movie marathons, crammed into Taeil's tiny twin bed. It was the way Johnny seemed like he needed to have his hands on Taeil at all times, rubbing circles on his skin, playing with his hair, resting his palm chaste on Taeil's thigh when they talked just to let Taeil know he was listening. Even more, it was the way Taeil felt like he could touch back, squeezing Johnny's hand for reassurance, resting his head on his chest during tight hugs, standing on his tippy toes to leave Johnny with a kiss whenever he went to choir practice. 

A lot of things were similar to before though, talking and texting constantly just like earlier, but it was different now. Now they were honest with each other, they knew how much they meant to the other, and it just made every moment all the sweeter. Knowing that Johnny liked him just as much as Taeil liked Johnny... it was indescribable. 

(The only downside was that Taeil now felt too uncomfortable changing in front of Johnny and had to do it in the bathroom. But that whole... issue was something he'd think about later). 

The two of them decided to keep their relationship a secret, for the moment. Partially because of Hyungil, mostly because it was absolutely hilarious to keep the rest of their friends guessing. The constant pestering and refusal to give in and fully admit they were together gave them lots of giggles late at night. 

"What's this?" Taeil whined softly as he scrolled through his phone. He was sitting on his bed, sandwiched in between Johnny's long legs, resting his back on his broad chest. When Johnny had pulled him into this position Taeil had blushed a bright red; he could still sometimes get shy, but now, he felt incredibly comfortable. It was always like that with Johnny, really. Johnny made him so shy, but once he broke through that, Johnny made him feel more comfortable than anywhere else on earth.

Taeil was speed clicking through instagram stories when he came across Johnny's. It was a video, slowly zooming into Taeil's pouty face while Johnny poked his cheek. Johnny had captioned it 'cutie'. Taeil hadn't even realized Johnny was taking the video, and a blush slowly crept on his cheeks. 

"What?" Johnny whined back, tucking a lock of Taeil's hair behind his ear. 

"This." Taeil showed Johnny his screen, and Johnny chuckled. 

"Oh...well, you were being a cutie, so I had to tell everyone." 

Taeil blushed harder and made a face; no matter how much Johnny did it (or how much he enjoyed it), Taeil didn't think he would ever get used to Johnny being so affectionate. 

"Why are you like this?" 

"Come on Taeil... I had too..." Johnny wrapped his arms around Taeil, and as hard as Taeil tried not to, he easily sunk into Johnny's embrace. "Oh, and you don't have anything planned this weekend, right?" 

Taeil shook his head and twisted around to look up at Johnny. "No, why?" 

"Well..." Johnny answered sheepishly. "Some of our friends kinda sorta figured out about us and wanted us to go on a double date with them." 

"Did you tell them?"

"No!" Johnny cried. "They just, um, inferred..." 

Taeil deadpanned. "From the video?" Johnny grinned sheepishly. "Oh my god! Johnny..." Taeil whined. 

Johnny started to pout and look actually sad. 

"No Johnny! I mean, it's so cute that you wanted to show me off, if surprising...and you're, um, cute...." Taeil said, started to get a little shy. "But you ruined our secret!" He whined, and Johnny was smiling again. 

"I'm sorry, okay? But now our friends wanna hang with us as a couple (Taeil felt himself grin at Johnny simply saying that word), and I think it might be fun." 

"Okay, fine then. Who wants us to go with them?" 

"Taeyong and Ten, Yukhei and Jungwoo, and Yuta and Sicheng." 

"So, all the couples?" 

"Yup." 

Taeil already could envision the fun but probable disaster going on these double dates could lead to. But why the hell not? They're his friends after all. 

"You know what? Sure." 

Johnny grinned, and Taeil couldn't help but smile back. "One couple," Johnny started in an newscaster style voice, "One weekend. Three double dates. Do you think Johnny and Taeil are up to the challenge?" 

Taeil grinned. "Of course we are." 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was Friday. Well, actually it was almost Saturday, but technically it was still Friday, and Friday night meant date night with Taeyong and Ten. 

It was 11:30 pm and Taeyong, Ten, Johnny, and Taeil were standing in line for the one nightclub that was sort of close to school. With it being fall semester, post mid terms, it was absolutely freezing right now, plus they were dressed up in clubbing clothes. Johnny and Taeil were huddled together under Johnny's giant padded jacket, but Taeyong and Ten seemed immune to the cold. 

"How is this a date?" Johnny shouted. They weren't even in the club yet but it was so loud that they couldn't hear. 

"It's our kind of date," Taeyong said with a small smile. Ten giggled loudly and pulled a small flask out of his pocket, handing it to Taeil. 

"This'll warm you up." Taeil looked at it suspiciously before opening it and taking a tiny sip. Immediately he retched, scrunching his face. He gave the flask another tentative glance before handing it back to Ten. 

"Ew," he simply said. 

"Have you never drank before?" Taeyong asked as Taeil tried to ignore the burn in his throat, Johnny rubbing his back in circles. Taeil shook his head. 

"What's in that?" 

"Jungle juice. I stole it from a party a couple days ago," Ten answered. 

Johnny gave him a look. "You gave my boyfriend old jungle juice?" he cried in anger. Despite the awful taste in his mouth, Taeil smiled at the word 'boyfriend'.

"What?" Ten deadpanned. 

Johnny ignored him and turned to Taeil. "Now, I promise you that most alcohol isn't that disgusting. Anyways, I thought jungle juice was a frat house thing and they don't have frats here..." 

"When have you tried it?" Taeyong asked. 

"Oh, I had a cousin in a frat when I was in high school, and he'd take me to the parties." Just then, the bouncer finally let them in. Taeil breathed a massive sigh of relief to be finally out of the cold, when all of the sudden his ears were assualted by the pounding of the bass. 

Johnny made a face too but Ten cheered loudly.

" yeah!" Taeyong said, tugging Ten along with him into the club, the couple leaving Taeil and Johnny behind. They shared a look and then stared back out at the dance floor. 

"Uhh..." Johnny said. 

"What?" Taeil yelled. 

"Nothing," Johnny answered. 

"Wait, what?" Taeil asked again. 

"Nothing!" Johnny shouted. 

After a moment Taeil laughed, and Johnny smiled back at him. 

"Shall we go to the bar?" Johnny asked loudly. 

Taeil shrugged back. "Why not?" 

The two of them went over, luckily finding a pair of seats. Johnny ordered them...something, Taeil couldn't hear him talking to the bartender. Johnny passed the bartender some cash before Taeil could say anything, and turned to him.

"This isn't really your scene, is it?" Johnny asked. Taeil made a face and shook his head. "Mine either." 

It was a long while before they got their drinks, the two of them just watching the people dance. Taeil didn't really have an opinion on clubbing, to be honest. Mostly he just felt overwhelmed. 

Johnny passed him his drink and they both took a sip. 

"How is it?" Johnny asked. 

"Hm...better than old jungle juice." 

"I should hope," Johnny answered, and the two fell silent again, Taeil resting his head on Johnny's shoulder. 

"...I've got to go to bathroom," Taeil said after a long while. Johnny just nodded back. "Wait...can you come with me? I feel like if we separate I'll never find you again..." 

Johnny nodded again. "You're probably right." He took Taeil's hand in his. "Let's go."

At that moment, Taeil was extremely grateful for Johnny's giant presence, or else he would've felt completely lost and overwhelmed in this giant, writhing mass of people.  Getting to the bathroom was a massive relief; the stable lights and slight muffling of the music cleared Taeil's head quite a bit. 

But Taeil and Johnny only had about of a moment of respite until another couple burst into the bathroom: a very wasted Taeyong and Ten. 

"Oh my god it's Taeil!" Ten screamed, pulling him into a big hug. Taeyong tripped on air trying to walk over to his boyfriend, staggering about. Taeil and Johnny shared an uncomfortable yet bemused look. 

"Are you guys okay?" Johnny asked worriedly. 

"Yeah! We're-" Taeyong started, hurriedly covering his mouth and visibly gagging, hard. Taeil and Johnny shared a panicked look as Taeyong swallowed....Taeil didn't want to think about what it was and stood up straight. "Good!" 

Johnny and Taeil looked at each other again before Taeyong ran into a bathroom stall, Ten stumbling behind him. 

Johnny looked them over. "I'm calling us all an uber."

~~~~~~~~~~

Because of the disaster that was the night before, Taeil was so grateful when he found out that Jungwoo and Yukhei wanted to hold their double date in the day time. And now he was even more grateful: he, Johnny, Jungwoo, and Yukhei were all standing here together at the nearest mini golf place. 

"This is gonna be really cute," Johnny said softly, exactly what Taeil was thinking. It was like a double date out of a teen movie or a rom-com, and Taeil couldn't wait. 

Taeil nodded up at Johnny as Jungwoo and Yukhei walked back from the bathroom. 

Jungwoo said something to the group so quietly that none of them could hear. 

"What?" Johnny asked. 

"Let's go!" Yukhei basically screamed. Johnny and Taeil jumped a little but somehow, quiet and shy Jungwoo seemed unfazed, just smiling up at Yukhei cutely. Really, Yukhei and Jungwoo were total opposites, but somehow, they worked. 

They walked out onto the field and Yukhei passed them each a ball and a club. "Let's start!" He yelled. 

"Yeah!" Jungwoo cheered back in his tiny voice. 

Many minutes later, they were still at the first hole.

"Holy , we are so bad," Johnny said.

"How are we all so bad?" Taeil said quietly to Johnny.

"I got it this time!" Yukhei spoke loudly, shook his head vigorously, and swung the golf club to try and hit the ball. The ball rolled, missing the hole by at least a few feet. Yukhei humphed.

"Your turn," he said to Jungwoo, a look of defeat in his eyes. Jungwoo grabbed the golf club and swung, completely missing the ball. Jungwoo pouted and looked over at Yukhei, who was covering his mouth to try and hide his laughter, along with Johnny and Taeil. Jungwoo made a sincerely sad face seeing all three boys laugh at him. 

"Look, Jungwoo, it wouldn't be funny if you hadn't done it three times already," Johnny said. 

Yukhei sighed. "Let's take a break," he said.

"I'll get us all coffee!" Johnny said excitedly, taking down everyone's orders and running off towards the main center of the mini golf course. Jungwoo and Yukhei sat down on the floor of the course, and Taeil followed suit. 

He expected the little break to be relaxing, but Taeil was so grateful when Johnny came back from the cafe, carrying one iced americano and three frappes with more whipped cream than coffee. 

"Johnny," Taeil whispered urgently, grabbing his jacket sleeves and standing up. Yukhei and Jungwoo didn't even notice. 

"What?" Johnny whispered back. 

"Look." Johnny spared a quick glance at Jungwoo and Yukhei before looking back at Taeil incredulously. 

"Why are they nuzzling noses?"

"I know! In public too!" Taeil whispered. Johnny and Taeil watched their friends, cringing to themselves. Jungwoo and Yukhei didn't do anything, just staring romantically into each other's eyes. 

Jungwoo mumbled something unintelligible. 

"I love you too," Yukhei whisper screamed. 

"Guys I'm back!" Johnny said loudly, and finally Yukhei and Jungwoo noticed them. 

"Yay!" Yukhei shouted, grabbing his drink out of the cardboard holder. 

"Thank you," Jungwoo added. 

The four boys sipped their drinks for a minute before looking down at the mini golf clubs with dread. 

"Wait! I have an idea," Taeil spoke. He walked away from Johnny, grabbing the four balls and placing them in the hole.

"Look, we got it in," he said. Johnny laughed, and Jungwoo grabbed Yukhei's hand.

"Yeah!" Yukhei cheered, loud enough for the people behind them to give him a look. 

"Yay!" Jungwoo added softly. 

"Let's just move onto the next course," Taeil said, and they all walked forward. 

"Boo boo bear?" Jungwoo's very small voice spoke. 

"Yes honey sugar?" Yukhei answered, and Johnny and Taeil shared a look as the two stared lovingly at each other. 

"Oh god," Taeil mumbled. 

"I thought I was cheesy," Johnny mumbled back. 

"Let's make an agreement right now," Taeil said, looking up at Johnny. "If one of us tries to publically nose nuzzle the other, then we have to stage an intervention." 

Johnny cracked a smile. "Okay darling." 

Taeil felt a blush spreading all across his cheeks, covering it up with his hands out of embarrassment. Johnny moved his hands away and Taeil made a face. 

"Pet names are fine though," He grumbled, but still slightly smiling. 

Johnny laughed. "Maybe we are just as bad as them." 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was Sunday now, and somehow, Taeil still had hope for the next and final double date of the weekend. 

The previous day hadn't been quite as bad as Friday (as probably nothing could beat escorting home a drunk and nauseous Taeyong and Ten). But failing at mini golf and getting second hand embarrassment from his friend's cheesiness wasn't exactly his idea of a good time either. 

But today's date would be great. It was Yuta and Sicheng, and Taeil felt like Yuta was his closest friend outside of Johnny. Plus, they were eating dinner. No clubbing, no dancing, no chance of getting so drunk you vomited, no chance of failing at anything. You couldn't fail at eating dinner, right?" 

The four of them were seated in a booth at a mid priced Italian restaurant, keeping each other updated on their lives. 

"Yeah, so me and Yuta hung up the ty drawing in our room..." 

"Wait, in your room? What about Jaehyun and Doyoung?" Johnny asked. 

"Oh, we swapped rooms," Yuta explained. "Doyoung and Jaehyun were getting annoyed at us because we...um..." 

Yuta giggled and Sicheng raised his eyebrows. Johnny and Taeil shared a frightened expression and Sicheng cleared his throat. 

"Anyways, we all know Jaehyun and Doyoung are next." 

"Next what?" Taeil asked. 

"Next couple in our suite of course!" Yuta answered. 

"Yeah, for sure..." Johnny added. 

"Wait, what? How am I the only one who didn't know about this..." Taeil whined. 

"You are the most observant person I know, Taeil, when it comes to everything but love," Johnny answered. 

"True..." Taeil mumbled, just as the waitress came to take their orders. 

Everything was going so smoothly. So perfectly. So not awkwardly. Taeil was having an amazing time. But of course...it couldn't stay that way. 

It was about halfway through eating when Johnny gave Taeil a look. Taeil tilted his head in confusion, and Johnny made eyes at Yuta and Sicheng. Taeil looked over at the couple, and he could do nothing but wince. 

Taeil saw Sicheng, who was sitting next to him, playing footsie. But Sicheng was playing footsie with Yuta's . 

Taeil grimaced, but Sicheng and Yuta didn't even notice. 

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," Sicheng said suddenly, standing up as if nothing was wrong. "Yuta, you've been to this restaurant, right? Can you show me where it is?" He asked, the picture of innocence. 

"Y-yeah," Yuta stammered, slowly standing up and angling his crotch away from Johnny and Taeil. "I'm g-gonna go show Sichengie the bathroom," he said, twisting around awkwardly before dashing for the bathroom with Sicheng. 

Once they were gone, Johnny and Taeil shared a wide eyed look. 

"Oh my god..." Johnny said. 

"Are they doing what I think they're doing?" Taeil whined. 

"I hope not...man, Yuta is such a . I can't believe he corrupted our sweet baby Sicheng." 

Taeil grinned. "Nope," he simply answered. "Other way around." 

Johnny's jaw dropped at the gossip. "No..." he said, a slight secretive smile pulling at his lips. "Are you sure?" 

"I'm very sure." 

Johnny started to laugh. "Holy ." 

The couple returned less than ten minutes later, giggling conspiratorially. Yuta looked absolutely ed, his hair sticking up in places, his skin pink, and his eyes blown wide. Sicheng, however, looked exactly the same, if not more put together than before. Johnny and Taeil shared another uncomfortable look as the waittress put the check down in front of them. She gave Yuta one glance before darting away. 

Yuta snatched up the check and smiled. Johnny, Taeil, and Sicheng made faces and began to whine. "You two get the tip and the uber back to school. And you," he spoke, punctuating his words with a boop to Sicheng's nose. "Will not be paying a penny." 

Taeil for the first time ever managed to slam down the money for the tip before Johnny even had time to, while Johnny pulled up the uber app on his phone. Yuta got his card processed and they all stood up, heading outside to go back home. 

As they all waited silently in the cold, Johnny turned to Yuta and Sicheng. "Just so you know, I hate you guys," he said jokingly, and Yuta turned bright red. 

Sicheng, of course, was unfazed.