that one time hyungil got really pissed off

That One Time in Uni

Things were going well for Taeil. 

Too well, that horrible nagging voice in the back of his head wanted him to believe. But Taeil was getting better and better at getting that insecure, pathetic voice, the voice of his brother, to shut up and let Taeil's real head voice take control. 

But Taeil briefly thought that maybe that voice was right when Taeil and Hyungil were standing in the dorm elevator together, alone. This was the first time they had spent time together in months, and even longer since it had been just the two of them. It was kind of awful, but Hyungil hadn't spoken yet. All Taeil could do was hope he would just shut up the entire time. 

Sparing a brief glance at his twin, Taeil knew he looked worse for wear. Gone was that confident smirk that seemed permanently etched into his face in high school. He now looked.... angry, but not purely angry, just anger hiding sadness. His eyes had dark circles beneath and his hair was ungroomed. Clearly, he had hit rock bottom. Taeil, honestly, felt quite bad for him. He knew at that point that Hyungil had lost all of his friends and was one more f away from being put on academic probation, or worse, kicked out. 

But part of Taeil hoped this was the last straw for him. Not the last straw until he dropped out or hurt himself, but the last straw until he woke up. The last straw until he apologized to everyone he had hurt, the last straw until he fixed up his grades, the last straw until he realized he had been a bad person and tried to make amends. It was so Taeil of Taeil to do, but he knew he would forgive him immediately, if Taeil knew he was truly making an effort. He would fix him up some friends, help him with his school work. Hyungil didn't know how much an apology would mean to Taeil. 

Taeil had almost escaped conversation with him but just as the door ringed, Hyungil turned to him. 

"Let's hang out for a little." 

"Sorry, I'm-" 

"What, you don't have time for your brother?" Hyungil interrupted. Taeil sighed; he really didn't have any plans, and he would feel way too guilty pretending he did. 

"Alright. Let's hang out then." 

They walked down their halls to the dorms, Hyungil leading Taeil into his room. Kun was gone, clearly at the library cramming for his finals. Hyungil sat on his bed, and Taeil sat on Kun's. 

"I wanna talk to you about something important, actually." 

A brief feeling of hope came over Taeil. Maybe he was finally going to apologize. Maybe this was his chance for everything to really work out. 

"What is it?" 

"We are going to do a room transfer. Move to a different dorm next semester." 

Immediately, Taeil's heart plummetted. He knew his brother well enough to keep his cool, but he was not going to give in. "No. You can do a room transfer, but I'm staying here." 

Hyungil looked shocked, and Taeil realized this was the first time he had ever contradicted his brother. "W-we're going to do a room transfer," he repeated. 

"No, you're going to do a room transfer." 

Hyungil chuckled incredulously. "What the hell is your problem?" 

"What's my problem? Hyungil, you're the one with the problem. All of us get along really well except for you." 

"Well that's because you're a freak! You're a ing freak just like them." Hyungil was starting to get heated, his voice raised, but these kinds of comments didn't phase Taeil at all. He knew his brother was just angry about something else, putting his anger at his life falling apart back on Taeil. 

"Why do you care if I come with you anyways? You don't ing like me. I don't like you. Both of us will be happier if we are in separate dorms." 

"W-well!" Hyungil started, stumbling over his words. "Mom and dad said we have to share a dorm!" 

"Why can't you ever just let me be Hyungil? Why?" Taeil asked in a calm, soft voice. 

"Because I care about mom and dad! Unlike you." 

Taeil rolled his eyes, sighed, and smiled to himself. He knew exactly what was going on, why Hyungil refused to just leave him alone. All his life, whenever Hyungil had been down, he'd had Taeil to push down further. To make himself to go up, to make himself look better. Hyungil had always been able to take it out on Taeil. Now, Taeil was above Hyungil. Taeil had friends, Taeil had good grades, Taeil had talent, Taeil had a relationship, Taeil had , Taeil had happiness, and Hyungil had none of that. And the things Taeil didn't have, like familial love, he didn't need anymore. All Hyungil had left was the chance to bring his brother down, get that power he had lost back, make himself feel better again. But Taeil was damned if he would let Hyungil  up the wonderful life he had made for himself.

"I'll get mom and dad involved, Taeil!" 

"How?"

"They'll talk to the school! They'll make us both transfer dorms!" 

"You won't. You can't, and they can't either." Taeil laughed to himself and Hyungil growled at the noise. "I'm on full scholarship. They're only paying for your school fees, not mine. And for spending money, I still have the money I saved up from summer jobs. They're not supporting me. They can't make me move. I really don't need to ever see them again." 

"You're such a ing ingrate! You don't give a about our parents! You're a terrible son! I'm gonna tell them, and they'll make you drop out." 

"Hyungil, they can't make me do anything any more. I honestly don't care if I'm a terrible son. They were terrible parents to me. And, I'm the ingrate? Who is the one who has never worked a day in their life, whose parents still pay for everything? Who is the one that damaged all of the expensive cars our parents bought for him? Who is the one who faked their way to good grades and never actually tried?" 

Hyungil sat on his bed, fuming, and Taeil just looked back at him. His voice had rose a little bit, and yes, he was a little angry, but god it all just felt so good. It felt so good to yell at his brother, to fight back, to let all of his anger out. Everything he had been keeping to himself for eighteen years was finally let out to the world. Maybe, Taeil was glad he did this. Maybe it was worth it to finally stand up for himself. 

" you," Hyungil grumbled lowly. Taeil would have been scared if this was high school, if they were in their old town, or at school, or at their parents house. But Taeil wasn't scared. He had people, even right here in these dorms who would help him out if he needed. And Johnny was out studying at the moment, but if he needed to, he could always give him a call. 

" you too Hyungil," Taeil answered, and again his brother looked shocked. Taeil almost laughed. 

"I hate you!" Hyungil responded.

"I don't hate you," Taeil answered. "I feel bad for you. I hope one day you wake up and realize the things you have done so you can fix up your life and be happy. Let me know when that happens; I promise I'll be there for you then. But I can't be your stepping stool now. I can't be just a tool for you to feel okay about yourself any longer." 

That only seemed to piss Hyungil off more. Maybe Taeil had hoped this would wake Hyungil up but Taeil had known it would only make his twin more angry. 

" you Taeil. you, you stupid ing idiot ! you, you dumb , can't get any , can't get our parents to give a about you, can't get any cool friends, you for thinking you're better than me!  you!" Hyungil screamed, and Taeil sighed. 

"Clearly, Hyungil, this conversation is going nowhere. I'm not going to move out. You can though. Maybe you would be happier for it. But I'm not going anywhere, and you can't make me." 

Hyungil stared back at his brother. " you," he growled one last time. 

"Goodbye," Taeil answered, standing up to leave. 

"Taeil!" Hyungil yelled just as Taeil was about to reach for the door, and the shorter twin stared back at him. "I'll ing get you. I promised I would a couple weeks ago. I'll get you and your ing friends. I can make you do what I want. Don't forget that." 

Taeil just looked back at his brother calmly, hiding the fear in his heart. His stomach began to burn with worry but he pushed all of that down, finally opening the door and leaving. 

He calmed down a bit when he found Taeyong standing outside of the door, a worried expression on his face. 

"Is everything okay?" He whispered. 

"Yeah," Taeil whispered back, and they walked into the living room. 

"Are you sure?" Taeyong asked in a normal voice once they were out of Hyungil's earshot. 

"Yes. I finally stood up to him. It felt kind of good." Taeil smiled and ignored the warniing Hyungil gave him. 

Taeyong breathed a sigh of relief. "That's good. It sounded like you had it under control but I wanted to be there just in case he-"

"I know. And thank you, really. You don't know how much I appreciate it." Taeyong smiled and rubbed Taeil's shoulder. "Now, don't worry about me. I know you've got lots of studying to do." 

Taeyong pouted. "Don't make me!" He whined. Taeil laughed, and Taeyong went back to his and Ten's room with a small wave goodbye. 

As soon as the door was shut Taeil reached for his phone, calling the first number on the list. 

"Darling?" Johnny immediately answered into the phone. 

"Where are you?" 

"The cafe by campus, why do you ask?" 

"Can I come meet you?" 

"Of course. Is everything alright?" 

"Well... we'll have to see." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Ten minutes later and Taeil was in Johnny's favorite cafe, a chocolate chip frappe topped with a generous amount of whip cream already waiting for him. 

"Johnny, you didn't have to..." 

"Of course I did," Johnny answered, shoving his notebooks into his backpack. "Now, sit down and tell me what's going on, I'm worried!" 

"Well... Hyungil and I got into a fight." 

"Oh!" Johnny sat up immediately. "What about?"

"He wants us to both switch dorms." 

Johnny frowned immediately. "There's no way I'm gonna let that happen." 

"That's what I said!" 

Slowly, Johnny smiled. "You did?" Taeil nodded back, and after checking to make sure nobody was looking, Johnny slid his arm across the table to hold Taeil's hand. "I'm really proud of you darling. I know it's been hard to deal with him and stand up for yourself..." 

Taeil grinned back. "I did it. I finally told him off for everything too. It felt really good, to be honest." 

"I'm so, so glad. But then... what's the issue?" 

Taeil sighed and looked down at the table. "Do you remember what he said to all of us after Kun and Vivi went to the airport?" 

"Yeah, that stupid thing like he's going to get all of us or something..." 

Taeil nodded. "He said that again. And I know it may seem ridiculous to be nervous but he's always been able to get what he wanted before..." 

Johnny squeezed Taeil's hand. "But that was then, love. Things don't work like that for him any more. Nobody can make you leave the dorm. He just doesn't have that influence. You're not reliant on your parents, and he doesn't have anything on us anyways." Taeil sighed and nodded. "I know past experiences have made you feel like he can do whatever he wants. It's not like that any more. He is an eighteen year old college student just like we are. What kind of powers would he have over us?" 

"I mean, that... that charm, whatever the thing was that got him what he wanted before." 

"I don't think the people here are as easily fooled as the people you knew back in your hometown. Nobody has fallen for it thus far, so why would they now?" 

Slowly, Taeil smiled back at him. "You're right. Of course you're right. Things are different now." 

"Things are different now. And they're better. And no matter what...I'm always here for you." 

"And I for you." For a moment they stared at each other, love in their eyes, before Taeil shook his head because all of this was far too cheesy. 

"Anyways, I thought you said you both were avoiding each other," Johnny spoke up. 

"We were both in the elevator together when he asked to talk to me." 

Johnny made a face. "Ew." 

"Exactly." 

"Are you feeling alright now?"

Taeil nodded and grinned. "Yeah. I know he could never really hurt me or you or any of our friends." 

"He couldn't. And he wouldn't. He thinks he's a charmer, but Ten can really be charming when he wants." 

Taeil laughed at that. "He uses his powers for good though, not evil." 

Johnny raised his eyebrows. "Sometimes." Taeil laughed loudly at that; he knew how mischevious Ten could be when he wants to be. "Anyways, this might all be a good thing. Hopefully he'll move out of our dorm." 

"God, that would be great, wouldn't it? Part of me thinks he might stay just to piss everyone off, but he might be too miserable here to even weather through that." 

"What would your parents think?" Johnny asked hesitantly. 

Taeil thought for a moment. "To be honest... I don't really care." 

Johnny grinned brightly at that. "Do you know how good it feels to hear you say that? It must feel good for you too." 

"It does feel good. I know I'll never impress them. I shouldn't waste my energy on them, or my stupid brother." 

"Taeil...I'm so proud of you." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Thank you," Taeil spoke once they got back to the dorm, taking off his jacket and throwing it on the bed. 

"For what?" Johnny asked, looking back at his tiny boyfriend. 

"For making me feel better... for knowing exactly what to do." 

"That's what I do, isn't it?" 

"Always." 

Taeil pushed the door shut behind him and Johnny smirked, stepping in closer. 

"Do you want me to really take your mind off of it?" Johnny gave Taeil that look and Taeil knew exactly what he meant, running his eyes up and down his boyfriend. 

"Of course I do." He tried to make a y expression; he assumed he failed miserably but Johnny made a face and Taeil knew it had worked. 

Johnny stepped in closer and Taeil reached forward, pulling each other in for a passionate kiss that seemed to hold all of the feelings they felt inside. Johnny's big hand gripped Taeil's waist possessively and Taeil made a noise into his boyfriend's mouth; god he loved when Johnny held him like that. 

That noise Taeil had made seemed to do something to Johnny and he pushed Taeil hard up against the wall next to the door, kissing each other harder if that was even possible. They were both fully absorbed in the feeling that was each other, something inside of them burning for more, more, more. 

They were too distracted to even register the noise of the door opening, silence afterwards. It took a few seconds for them to notice someone else had joined their presence, but when they did, they were shattered.

Johnny and Taeil pulled away to find a completely shell shocked Hyungil staring back at them. 

Immediately Taeil moved their hands off each other but niether made the move to step away, staring back at Hyungil in the same amount of shock he was giving them. It was silent for a long time. Like when Johnny had first confessed Taeil's brain had shut off, his brain was turned off now, and so was Johnny's and Hyungil's. 

Taeil didn't know how long it was until any of them moved. It could've been seconds or hours, Taeil wasn't sure, but when one of them moved a chill went down his spine. 

Hyungil didn't speak a word. All he did was smile, sinister, in that way of his Taeil knew far too well. He let Johnny and Taeil rest with that smile for a long time before he dashed out of them, out of the dorm, letting the living room door click shut behind him. 

It was another few minutes before Taeil's brain began to catch up, his eyes watering, trembling against the wall. He knew what Hyungil was capable of. 

"Oh my god, we're so ed," he whispered shakily. 

"Taeil, Taeil, it's gonna be okay." Even the concern in Johnny's voice, the feeling of Johnny's hands holding his, couldn't calm him down. 

"Oh my god."

~~~~~~~~~~

It was half an hour later, when Johnny and Taeil were sitting on the bed still in a state of shock, when both of their phones buzzed simoultaneously. 

It was an email from school administration. 

"They want to meet with us...our whole dorm, as soon as possible," Johnny said. Johnny and Taeil looked at each other in panic before a soft knock arrived on the door. 

"Hey guys?" Taeyong's soft voice carried through. 

"Come in," Johnny answered, and Taeil could feel him trying to hold on. Taeyong pushed open the door, and Taeil could see his email app open on his phone. 

"Did you get this email from the school? Do you know why they would want to meet with all of us?" 

There was a short pause before Johnny answered his questions. 

"Hyungil caught us."